Martin Transportation Systems

Martin Transportation Systems Employee Reviews

The Best of 6
Western Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ29 November 2016
I loved working for Marten. Loved my FMs and they git me home and went out if their way to accommodate my needs. All trucking companies have ups and downs. This is the nature of the business. If they allowed pets Id never work anywhere else again.
If your a jerk expect to be treated like one. Bad reviews are coming from problem drivers..for the most part. Best out of 6 companies I worked for. Good steady job and very nice terminals and ppl. Phx terml shop is awesome folks.
Pros
No BS
Cons
No pets and can't go OTR if hired regional.
Don't do it
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MI20 September 2016
I couldn't wait to leave this company. There are some lazy people in the office that also like to bully their underlings. They have favorite bullies, and will stab you in the back even after you've already quit. Hopefully you have a second job and don't need them as a reference. Watch your back and your check. Keep your head down and mouth shut. Don't be too friendly even if that's part of your job because this will get you a write up.
Pros
It's a job?
Cons
Poor morale, unprofessional work environment
Hope you deal with stress well!!!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie Texas23 June 2016
I have been here for 20 months and I honestly believe in my 30-year career this is the most stressful truck driving job I have ever had. Constant lying and misguided info from dispatcher and dispatch supervisor. I like what I do 100% no touch freight off on weekends most truck drivers would normally kill for a job like this but the mismanagement of this company is extremely bad mostly because family in upper management and young college grads on the lower end a bad combination just about to my wits end. I think I've had enough. They do have a couple of good benefits but doesn't make up for the BS.
Pros
Two weeks paid vacation after 2 years
Cons
Tracks line dispatch bad management poor maintenance program
Unorganized biggest congregation of crybabies
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Ohio13 June 2016
No organization lack of communication shop manager lives a dream and can be disrespectful at times they run equipment in the ground then when the union wants the stuff fixed they want mechanics too break their necks too fix the equipment when vehicles need downed or repairs are needed after inspection you should be able to fix them not band aide them
Pros
Look past the bs its not bad
Cons
Need to have tolerance and patience
Poorly managed
CDL A Driver (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MI17 March 2016
Site managers really have no control. Their just there to watchdog the terminals. That is a problem. Byron Center management is young, no people skills, arrogant, demeaning, short tempered, and the list goes on, yet their put in charge of your load routes, pay and schedules .... Go figure. Not a career job. Good drivers leave daily. High turnover rate as a result of bad management. Dispatch doesn't honor seniority , plays favorites, work loads differ, schedules change often. The way they talk to you at times is a pity. The owner presents himself well but has no idea what his team does when he's not around. I had good repor with Ford customers and other drivers yet they still disregarded my request for help on many issues. I don't believe the owner was ever given my workplace and harassment write ups. Not even a call back from their hr department. Sad to see other employees treated like this as well.
Pros
Cons
To many to list
Run, Run, Run
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MI12 January 2016
You will run loads. You will work 14 hour days. Dispatchers can be cool, but bottom line, they want warm bodies driving trucks, pulling trailers. Loads have to get from point a to point b, and that is paramount in their thinking. Management can be friendly, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Run those loads. They used to give sign on bonuses, but those are gone now. Truck shortage is constant. Slip seating for day drivers, assigned trucks for over the road. Repairs are actually taken care of pretty well. This is one area they are good at. Compensation is pretty standard with what you make anywhere else. They could probably afford to pay more, but they don't. Hardest part of the job is last minute "do us a favor" loads. Just when you think you're going home, SURPRISE!!! no you're not!! They got loads to move... Be ready to run.
Pros
Good mechanics, decent pay, some friendly managers.
Cons
New drivers on "open" board a long time. Slip seating, Constant truck shortage.
Average company
FLEET MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, IA4 November 2015
I was laid off from this company when our Iowa office was closed. It was a good place to work while we were open. The management at the corporate office didn't trust our abilities to make important decisions.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
job wasn't secure
Job with interesting people
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MI20 June 2015
I enjoy working here so far but I have come to learn that multitasking is a must. Every day has it's own challenges and most of the time that is just fine but sometimes you are expected to much more and are not given any extra time to do it in.
Training is mostly done on an "as needed" basis since during your introductory period there is so much given to you with little to no context.
Good job to have
Dispatcher / Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TX27 March 2015
I loved my time at MTS. It was a really nice place to work. Pay was good. Employees were friendly for the most part. Would recommend to others.
BAD COMPANY PEOPLE DONT CARE
Driver (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MI25 January 2014
WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR U HAVE TO WAIT 3 WEEKS BEFORE U EVEN GETA PAYCHECK NOT WORTH THE HEADACHES
Pros
EASY WORK
Cons
BAD TRAILERS AND MANAGEMENT
No Chance for Advancement
Driver Manager - Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MI17 March 2013
Generally, I manage 50-75 long-haul truck drivers every shift. I have learned how to utilize dispatching software and state of the art Electronic Log Systems. Management is unfortunately without communication skills. Raises, promotions, and evaluations do not happen here. My coworkers are all hardworking individuals that are a lot of fun to be around.
Cons
no time for lunch breaks, no communication between shifts
this was a good work place for me and me and my supervisers got along well
Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN3 December 2012
a typical day at MTS was a good experance but hard work for little pay
upon interview
Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TX15 August 2012
Drive 53ft Tractor Trailer from Nogales, Arizona to Grand Praire, Texas and/or Bertrans, MO then return to Nogales, Arizona
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Ok Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  OH29 June 2012
The family runs the business and many times they drain the company funds to pay for personal items. Not a way to run a business. Great benifits, low pay.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
ran poorly and too many family members involved.

2.9