Martin Transportation Systems

Martin Transportation Systems Employee Reviews

Hope you deal with stress well!!!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie TexasJune 23, 2016
I have been here for 20 months and I honestly believe in my 30-year career this is the most stressful truck driving job I have ever had. Constant lying and misguided info from dispatcher and dispatch supervisor. I like what I do 100% no touch freight off on weekends most truck drivers would normally kill for a job like this but the mismanagement of this company is extremely bad mostly because family in upper management and young college grads on the lower end a bad combination just about to my wits end. I think I've had enough. They do have a couple of good benefits but doesn't make up for the BS.
Pros
Two weeks paid vacation after 2 years
Cons
Tracks line dispatch bad management poor maintenance program
Unorganized biggest congregation of crybabies
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 13, 2016
No organization lack of communication shop manager lives a dream and can be disrespectful at times they run equipment in the ground then when the union wants the stuff fixed they want mechanics too break their necks too fix the equipment when vehicles need downed or repairs are needed after inspection you should be able to fix them not band aide them
Pros
Look past the bs its not bad
Cons
Need to have tolerance and patience
Last resort option only-please!
Dispatcher/ Driver Manager (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMay 18, 2016
Honestly, This is actually my job that posted due to me telling management 7 weeks ago that I would have to switch shifts due to pay.I know that it's my job because I just received an email today from a member of management going back on something he's told me for weeks. The funny thing is I never quit nor was I fired from this job yet it's posted as of yesterday. I've worked there 7 months and been in the transportation industry for years from driving, to brokering to driver management. Make this establishment your last resort for employment as all higher management is family or useless. I honestly don't even know how this place is still profitable. Oh yes i do their equipment is garbage and constantly breaks down on drivers and they pay employees next to nothing. They constantly lie to their employees, and customers and misleads drivers. Im not bitter or mad as I have another full time job just wanting to save people the heartache.
Pros
4 days off
Cons
Negative environment, blame placing constant, low pay, incompetent management
Poorly managed
CDL A Driver (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MIMarch 17, 2016
Site managers really have no control. Their just there to watchdog the terminals. That is a problem. Byron Center management is young, no people skills, arrogant, demeaning, short tempered, and the list goes on, yet their put in charge of your load routes, pay and schedules .... Go figure. Not a career job. Good drivers leave daily. High turnover rate as a result of bad management. Dispatch doesn't honor seniority , plays favorites, work loads differ, schedules change often. The way they talk to you at times is a pity. The owner presents himself well but has no idea what his team does when he's not around. I had good repor with Ford customers and other drivers yet they still disregarded my request for help on many issues. I don't believe the owner was ever given my workplace and harassment write ups. Not even a call back from their hr department. Sad to see other employees treated like this as well.
Pros
Cons
To many to list
Run, Run, Run
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 12, 2016
You will run loads. You will work 14 hour days. Dispatchers can be cool, but bottom line, they want warm bodies driving trucks, pulling trailers. Loads have to get from point a to point b, and that is paramount in their thinking. Management can be friendly, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Run those loads. They used to give sign on bonuses, but those are gone now. Truck shortage is constant. Slip seating for day drivers, assigned trucks for over the road. Repairs are actually taken care of pretty well. This is one area they are good at. Compensation is pretty standard with what you make anywhere else. They could probably afford to pay more, but they don't. Hardest part of the job is last minute "do us a favor" loads. Just when you think you're going home, SURPRISE!!! no you're not!! They got loads to move... Be ready to run.
Pros
Good mechanics, decent pay, some friendly managers.
Cons
New drivers on "open" board a long time. Slip seating, Constant truck shortage.
Average company
FLEET MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, IANovember 4, 2015
I was laid off from this company when our Iowa office was closed. It was a good place to work while we were open. The management at the corporate office didn't trust our abilities to make important decisions.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
job wasn't secure
Job with interesting people
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIJune 20, 2015
I enjoy working here so far but I have come to learn that multitasking is a must. Every day has it's own challenges and most of the time that is just fine but sometimes you are expected to much more and are not given any extra time to do it in.
Training is mostly done on an "as needed" basis since during your introductory period there is so much given to you with little to no context.
Good job to have
Dispatcher / Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMarch 27, 2015
I loved my time at MTS. It was a really nice place to work. Pay was good. Employees were friendly for the most part. Would recommend to others.
Horrible place to work for
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIOctober 24, 2014
I worked there for 2 years.

During this time frame we had unprofessional conference calls and I was repeatedly thrown under the bus by coworkers. They did not think I was doing my job and I was accused of being lazy, I think due to my race and two back-stabbing female coworkers that were discriminating against me due to my race. I also heard someone call me the "N" word when they think I could not hear them in the lunch room. I think the female co-workers were jealous of me, I don't know why but perhaps because I had more education than them. I could sue this place because I also have a voice mail, e-mails, etc. wherein I was being complained about (or at) they thought they had hung up the phone but they did not. I was busy talking to a driver at the time they called me.

I don't see how it's possible to hire drivers when they only pay 34 cents per mile to their drivers and are not willing to pay more for experience. They wait 3 weeks to give anyone their first check. I did the best I could with what I had and constantly was away from my family trying to do job fairs that I arranged myself to try to bring in people. They cussed at me in front of my face and blamed me for things wrong with their computer system.

When I reported such things to management along with proof they treated me as if I were the problem and would not do anything about it. The place is full of gossip and mostly bad, so don't tell them anything about yourself if you work here.

The hardest part was being treated bad every day. I learned how to work with people who hated me. As far as most enjoyable part,
  more... there were a couple employees in other departments that were nice.  less
Pros
once in a while a free pizza lunch from another department
Cons
management
It s steady work ,but remember they take a few weeks off when the automotive plants close
Driver (Former Employee) –  IndplsAugust 18, 2014
COMPANY SAYS THEY HAVE 40%NEWER TRUCKS TURN THAT AROUND TOO 3 new trucks out of 36 trucks NOT GOOD EQUIP At all
Pros
home everyday
Cons
you must wait 4years too recieve all of your holiday pay "who does that"???
BAD COMPANY PEOPLE DONT CARE
Driver (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MIJanuary 25, 2014
WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR U HAVE TO WAIT 3 WEEKS BEFORE U EVEN GETA PAYCHECK NOT WORTH THE HEADACHES
Pros
easy work
Cons
bad trailers and management
Bargain Basement Company
Belvidere IL Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIApril 25, 2013
Company has no respect for its employees, so much so that the drivers in this location voted in a union. Oversite of this terminal is done out of Canada, by people who have never been to Belvidere. I quit after several attempts to get some satisfaction. Then the company lies to unemployment, saying it was out of their control. BEWARE!
Pros
close to home, a couple good people bobby, danny
Cons
lack of common sense, poor leadership
No Chance for Advancement
Driver Manager - Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMarch 17, 2013
Generally, I manage 50-75 long-haul truck drivers every shift. I have learned how to utilize dispatching software and state of the art Electronic Log Systems. Management is unfortunately without communication skills. Raises, promotions, and evaluations do not happen here. My coworkers are all hardworking individuals that are a lot of fun to be around.
Cons
no time for lunch breaks, no communication between shifts
this was a good work place for me and me and my supervisers got along well
Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 3, 2012
a typical day at MTS was a good experance but hard work for little pay
upon interview
Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 15, 2012
Drive 53ft Tractor Trailer from Nogales, Arizona to Grand Praire, Texas and/or Bertrans, MO then return to Nogales, Arizona
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Ok Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  OHJune 29, 2012
The family runs the business and many times they drain the company funds to pay for personal items. Not a way to run a business. Great benifits, low pay.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
ran poorly and too many family members involved.

2.5