Marshalls Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Customer Service Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 June 2015
I overall enjoyed working at Marshalls.

I was in charge of the shoes department.

A typical day would consist of me:
- Update and arrange inventory as needed.
- Assist customers if they had any questions/concerns of me.
- Process and help with returns at the front of store.

Overall I would say that the job greatly helped me learn how to be part of a team and taught me that working as part of one can really give a sense of family at work which can make your workplace a lot more fun and enjoyable.

I got along very well with two of my three managers
Most people at my work didn't like the head manager because she was always first to criticize everyone and didn't ever take people's feelings into consideration. I accepted her for the way she was and tried my best to not take things personally.

I got along very well with my coworkers and even made a few friends. We all knew each other by name and it was a pleasure working there everyday.

The hardest part of the job were sale days. It was ridiculously busy which made it hard to get a lot done with people constantly needing my help and the workload was multiplied on those days so it was definitely a challenge to be able to find time to get everything done.

My favorite part of working there was again, my coworkers.
We all got along very well and it made it worth going in 4 or 5 times a week just to talk with them and put a smile on their faces.
Pros
Employee Discount, Fun & Friendly Atmosphere, Free Lunch (Sometimes)
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Great Prices and Service
Administrative duties (Former Employee) –  Toronto12 May 2015
The most important thing to know is that marshalls has many brand names and great prices. The customer service is great and management is always there to help
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON11 May 2015
It is a fun place to work. I find it very better than other retail stores in terms of managements and staff. If you are looking for summer jobs in retail or just to get earn some extra money, I would highly recommend to apply there
Inclusive and fun workplace
Seasonal Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON7 May 2015
Everyone at Marshalls is surprisingly upbeat and friendly. Very supportive management team who really cares about their employees.
Flexible schedule
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  West, ON27 April 2015
Marshalls has a very flexible hours and the managers are always willing to work with my schedule. The family culture makes the working environment very enjoyable. During these turbulent economic times this has been a very stable job.
Great environment to work in
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2015
Every day was different. Some days longer than others but enjoyable.
My best experience at Marshalls was working during the Christmas holidays and it was busy which kept me going all through my shift.
I got to interact with different customers, and ensured their shopping experience was good.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No time off if really sick
not happy workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 April 2015
Short staffed
So can't complete assigned tasks
leave feeling exhausted , under trained
very few hours for minimum wage
not much chance for advancement
Cons
not enough hours
Feels like home!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 April 2015
I have been working there for a while and have become a member of the family and no matter what I need I can always feel comfortable talking to one of the managers.
The worst.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON24 March 2015
Worked at Marshalls Burlington.
Typical day at work consisted of one person in each section. A lot of the time you didn't have any help doing anything and you got called away to be on cash a lot.
Management didn't seem to do to much until the end of my time there. I almost never saw them helping out on the floor with the exception of a couple people.
Terrible hours, you cannot get a consistent schedule. Playing favourites, still book you on requested days off. You can work 9-5 one day then not get booked again for 3 days and them it's just a 4 hour shift.
Hardest part of the job was never being able to get anything done because it was so understaffed but I guess that was kind of head offices fault in not giving enough hours for the store to use to properly staff the store. Customers complained that there were never many employees on the floor to help them, or not enough cashiers to make the line move quicker.
No raises unless you specifically ask for them, not really any incentive programs.
Loved most of the people I worked with but I would not go back.
Pros
Getting to help customers.
Cons
Disorganized
Not a good place to work if you are looking for a slow pace job
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 March 2015
You learn a lot of things and its easy to get along with your manager and the fellow employees. A fast passé working store, lots of hands on. You get send to others stores to learn the ways that things are done there compared to yours.
Pros
hours
na
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 March 2015
Marshall's ,it is a American store . I use to work as a cashier.very neat and clean environment.Management and co- workers are very helpful.Lots of space to grow.
Comfortable work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  mississauga3 March 2015
My part time job. Best part about this job was, I got to meet new people everyday. Got to see all the new merchandise and process them. All the co-workers were very easy to work with.
Porfessional and work-oriented environment. Fun and productive.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 March 2015
A day in Marshalls for me is doing "Overs and Unders," which is basically cleaning up racks and store floors. Any mess or hanging clothes around the racks would be cleaned up as fast and efficient as possible. I learned skills associated with this job like teamwork and people skills. I also learnt organization and time-oriented skills to better my job. My coworkers were friendly and of course, would give me tips on what I should or shouldn't do. The hardest part of my work was, balancing my chores and dealing with customers. I had to prioritize customers, then my chores on a short time. But overall, the most enjoyable part of the job was creating new friends outside of school. Getting to know them and helping them at work as well.
Co workers are positive and fun, Fast paced and always new and exciting.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB24 February 2015
I have always enjoyed going to work and seeing my fellow coworkers. Management has not been forthcoming and trustworth with employees. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is and not purchasing everything in the store.
Cons
No hours
Productive and fun place to work in.
Works as a Front desk cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 February 2015
enjoyable part of the job is dealing with customers and solving their problems so as to make them satisfied for rest of the day.
Productive and positive
Marshall's sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2015
A typical day includes me either working as a cashier or on the sales floor. I enjoy both and don't have any negative things to say. I've developed better communication skills and learned how to provide good costumer service,how to deal with conflicts,working under pressure, how to keep the sales floor clean and organized etc.
Pros
Friendly staff, nice merhandise, easy tasks
Cons
not enough hours
Great management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ON9 January 2015
I loved working with Marshalls but had difficulties getting to work.
Productive and fun workplace environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2014
- Clock in, figure out your task for the day, work, clock out
- Customer service
- friendly co-workers
- Cleaning
- Team work, good environment, customers
Pros
Fast paced environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun workplace
CASHIER/SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK9 October 2014
I do love working at marshalls but low rate.Love to work with teammates.
Fun workplace. Low wage.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2014
Great place to work at for your first job. Management is very helpful and understanding. Very easy to give away your shifts to others if an emergency occurs. Many social events. Some customers can be very difficult to handle but you will always have a manager deal with it. The only thing that sucks is my wage. They have many incentive programs which offer $ for catching thieves or individuals up to no good.
Pros
Many social events, flexible schedule, easy tasks, helpful management.
Cons
Low wage, shifts very depending on sales