Marshalls Employee Reviews

not happy workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 April 2015
Short staffed
So can't complete assigned tasks
leave feeling exhausted , under trained
very few hours for minimum wage
not much chance for advancement
Cons
not enough hours
great people
Customer service (Former Employee) –  oshawa25 August 2015
Great people to work with, but not enough work hours for part time. Fun outings with the team though and the christmas party was always a good time.
Pros
great people
Cons
not enough hours
Productive and enjoyable work experience
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON8 February 2014
A typical day at Marshalls consists of a very busy atmosphere. The location that I am employed at is the first Marshalls location in the Durham Region, which makes it very popular among those living within the GTA. Through the assistance of managers and my workers I have learned various ways to merchandise and how to be a better associate, in order to survive a busy day or to deal with the many kinds of customers I may come into contact with. I have not only polished my abilities to merchandise and sell, but I have polished my communication and problem solving skills at work and outside of work. I come across various kinds of customers which are not always the easiest to deal with but I have learned how to properly assist these customers in a way that leads them to leaving the store content with the services I provided as an associate. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help customers in areas they may not be familiar with, as well as expressing my own ideas for merchandising.
Good environment
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 April 2013
A typical day of work consists of being a cashier where I represent the company and assist customers. I learned interpersonal skills and how to deal with temperamental people. I also learnt to excel at my job. Throughout my stay I have seen many managers transfer out. It can be stressful since they introduce new ideas on how to run the store. The hardest part of my job is when there is not enough staff on a busy day and we have to endure upset customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing friendly faces and being able to work with a great group of people.
Pros
Free dinners
Cons
Not enough hours
Co workers are positive and fun, Fast paced and always new and exciting.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB24 February 2015
I have always enjoyed going to work and seeing my fellow coworkers. Management has not been forthcoming and trustworth with employees. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is and not purchasing everything in the store.
Cons
No hours
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON11 May 2015
It is a fun place to work. I find it very better than other retail stores in terms of managements and staff. If you are looking for summer jobs in retail or just to get earn some extra money, I would highly recommend to apply there
productive workplace with great staff and wonderful management.
Sales Associate (part time) (Former Employee) –  WARDEN & EGLINTON 808 Warden Avenue Toronto7 January 2013
A typical day at work for an employee such as myself was very productive and knowlegdeable.In additional, I learned how to stock merchandice, close and opening the store,learned great leadership skills and participated in many activities that were held. In conclude to that,the hardest part about this job was working on my feet for a long period of time. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of this job was contributing to great customer service.
Pros
great staff
Cons
too many hours on my feet
Zone I Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 September 2014
more career advancement and great people and the management as well.
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2014
I enjoyed working at marshalls, it was fun and i loved my coworkers. it was a positive fun upbeat environment, hardest part was keeping customers happy and most enjoyable was break!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fun workplace, felt like being apart of a family
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 September 2013
- learned how to work in a warehouse
- every task was timed (ex. putting away 1 rolling rack in 9min.)
- management was very unorganized/ poor communication
- got along with all my coworkers and managers; became friends outside of work
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
poor management, minimum wage
Flexible schedule
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  West, ON27 April 2015
Marshalls has a very flexible hours and the managers are always willing to work with my schedule. The family culture makes the working environment very enjoyable. During these turbulent economic times this has been a very stable job.
Inclusive and fun workplace
Seasonal Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON7 May 2015
Everyone at Marshalls is surprisingly upbeat and friendly. Very supportive management team who really cares about their employees.
Great Prices and Service
Administrative duties (Former Employee) –  Toronto12 May 2015
The most important thing to know is that marshalls has many brand names and great prices. The customer service is great and management is always there to help
Great environment to work in
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2015
Every day was different. Some days longer than others but enjoyable.
My best experience at Marshalls was working during the Christmas holidays and it was busy which kept me going all through my shift.
I got to interact with different customers, and ensured their shopping experience was good.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No time off if really sick
Productive, engaging enviroment
Sales Associate/Fitting Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 March 2014
Engaging with customers, organizing clothes with proper hangers, size numbs and censors tags.
Learned valuable information about loss prevention, timing standards and delivering excellent customer service 100%. Amazing co-workers and managers. Always welcoming with an open door policy. Most enjoyable part is engaging with the customers, helping them find that perfect item and just being able to make someone’s day with just a smile.
Productive and positive
Marshall's sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2015
A typical day includes me either working as a cashier or on the sales floor. I enjoy both and don't have any negative things to say. I've developed better communication skills and learned how to provide good costumer service,how to deal with conflicts,working under pressure, how to keep the sales floor clean and organized etc.
Pros
Friendly staff, nice merhandise, easy tasks
Cons
not enough hours
na
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 March 2015
Marshall's ,it is a American store . I use to work as a cashier.very neat and clean environment.Management and co- workers are very helpful.Lots of space to grow.
Busy yet fun atmosphere to work in
Cashier, Fitting Room Clerk, Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 September 2014
A typical day at work was, looking at the schedule and seeing what zone I would be in for my shift. Zones would include Cashier, Fitting Rooms, Shoes, Men's, Women's, Kids and Home sections. I've learned a lot working there and working in such a fun and busy atmosphere makes it enjoyable going to work.
Pros
Working with such great people
Fun place to work
Customer Service Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 June 2015
I overall enjoyed working at Marshalls.

I was in charge of the shoes department.

A typical day would consist of me:
- Update and arrange inventory as needed.
- Assist customers if they had any questions/concerns of me.
- Process and help with returns at the front of store.

Overall I would say that the job greatly helped me learn how to be part of a team and taught me that working as part of one can really give a sense of family at work which can make your workplace a lot more fun and enjoyable.

I got along very well with two of my three managers
Most people at my work didn't like the head manager because she was always first to criticize everyone and didn't ever take people's feelings into consideration. I accepted her for the way she was and tried my best to not take things personally.

I got along very well with my coworkers and even made a few friends. We all knew each other by name and it was a pleasure working there everyday.

The hardest part of the job were sale days. It was ridiculously busy which made it hard to get a lot done with people constantly needing my help and the workload was multiplied on those days so it was definitely a challenge to be able to find time to get everything done.

My favorite part of working there was again, my coworkers.
We all got along very well and it made it worth going in 4 or 5 times a week just to talk with them and put a smile on their faces.
Pros
Employee Discount, Fun & Friendly Atmosphere, Free Lunch (Sometimes)
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Feels like home!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 April 2015
I have been working there for a while and have become a member of the family and no matter what I need I can always feel comfortable talking to one of the managers.