Marshalls Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Temporary - sales associate and cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 November 2016
I would either be Cash handling or doing Store and Display setup. I have Good communication skills with staff and customers.
A positive work environment with people who are motivated to work.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2016
Management team is remarkable, how they manage the store, treat co workers and customers are perfect. Very impressed by how they manage the store typically, an organized team who you can depend on with out a doubt.

What I have learned by working with them is that team work is very important to run a successful business, without any team work you are left with complaints, a messy store, so its very important to be sure who is hired because it can take one irresponsible person to mess up the whole routine. So must always do your duty and keep managers up to date about anything in the store or in personal life that may affect your work habit.

Most enjoyable part of the job was working with people who treated others as if they were like family. Second was dealing with customers, enjoying a simple conversation and lots of laughs.

Marshall's at Edmonton South Common was a wonderful experience and I would go back again.
Pros
occasional free lunches/ snacks, positive atmosphere
Not a worthy place to stay
Part-time Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 October 2016
Really poor management and bad efficiency.

The worst thing was, I remember the first day when I was in an orientation, the manager told us if we find a better place to go they would like to give us a good reference. AND IT TOTALLY WAS A LIE. They are not willing to give my new company a review except the date I worked there.

To be honest, the only reason I stayed in Marshalls for so long was my colleagues.
Pros
awsome team members
Cons
low salary, poor management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2016
Working in Marshalls--I've learned to manage my time and improve on my customer service skills. It is an overall stressful environment however, throughout the years, i've learned to work through it in a much efficient way.
Although the most hardest part of the job is remaining calm during pressure, the company of my co-workers and managers makes it much enjoyable.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Repetitive
Fun place to work. Great atmosphere.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 October 2016
I had a lot of fun with my workmates. Work was challenging, but worth it in the end. Flexible hours were a big bonus, as I could manage my studies at the same time.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2016
good place to work with because the management are all fun people.
very clean place as it is a new establishment.
my co-workers are friendly.
Pros
discounts on purchases for associates
Cons
not enough work hours
Productive and fast environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2016
I learnt and delveloped great customer service skills, I would sometimes be the only person working on the sales floor and still managed to keep it clean and help customers find items they were looking for. The managers were great, my co workers are amazing and very hard working people I respect them very much. For me the most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers with what they needed. For example I seen a women carrying so many thing is her hands, I grabbed her a cart and she was very appreciative and had told me that I made her day.
Pros
Associate parties
Cons
Janitorial work
CUSTOMER SERVICE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 July 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing and talking to different kinds of customer everyday, knowing their stories about whats happening and assisting them and giving great customer service.
Pros
45 mins break
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 June 2016
Everyone was so friendly at Marshalls, I really enjoy working with the people that I do. I have learned so much there, not just work wise, but even about myself. I've made tons of new friends. The management was good, they were really flexible with hours and super friendly as well. They were understanding if you needed a sick day or had to go home early as well. Everyone there was super understanding. In retail, customers can be very persistent until they get what they want. The customer is always right, and you always have to go with what they say. I think sometimes having to do that was a little bit difficult for me, but I always found a way to compromise with the customer. You always have to make the customer feel welcome and comfortable, and I love making people feel at home. At marshalls, we strive for friendliness and teamwork. We all work together as a team to get things done.
Pros
Parties and free snacks :)
Cons
Scattered shifts
Really Corrupt management
Customer Service and Merchandising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2016
Really corrupt management at the district level and at the store level. They are not home-growing employees and hire clueless employees from other companies for managers/store-managers. Currently, some of the best employees are leaving due to the corruption. The HR also is corrupt and never solve any reported issues and simply follow what the DM says. The company is living on lying and selfish management and will start to drop down soon if they CEOs/Presidents don't start to take action.
Pros
Benefit plan
Cons
Everything else
professional and team-oriented
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON14 June 2016
There are opportunities at this company to work with the public directly as well as doing more background jobs. Their jobs range from part-time to full time and they hire anyone regardless of age, race, etc. I think anyone could work here and it is admirable how oriented Marshalls is to diversity. I would work here again.
Pros
professionalism, attention to detail
Cons
I felt like I was being scrutinized constantly
good place to work. could use more hours
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 June 2016
Every day is a good experiences, i like working there and i have great co workers. My managers are very understanding and easy going.
Pros
Meeting new people
Productive work place.
STORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 April 2016
Marshalls is a great environment to be apart of. I have enjoyed working there and would be sad to leave however the amount of hours each weeks (not even 10 hours) is not working for me when I have things I need to pay for. The managers and co-workers are great.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Not enough hours given. I have things I need to pay for.
Fun workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 April 2016
great pleace to work, good discount, would reccomend for students in high school, also a good place to build your career if retail is your choice.
Pros
free lunches sometimes
friendly work place
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 April 2016
friendly work place where i got to develop more of my communicational skills because it was very fast paced i got to communicate with people at a faster pas but at the same time help them with their purchases.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
not enough hours for work given
Amazing Place To Work At
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2016
Its a very company good that believe and encourage growth , the Management are caring, emphatic and understanding They appreciate all the employees. I learned a lot.Co-worker are friendly. Its a positive cool and flexible workplace and they sell very good products and clothing brands,
fun working place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2016
face pace, management are awesome, good team work, excellent customer service and awesome people to work with. very friendly environment and there is always a scope to grow in the company. the management are very encouraging and helpful.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON1 March 2016
Busy, which made the day go by fast.
Management was great. Other than some snobby customers the job was very enjoyable.
A lot of work parties. Managers wanted everyone to feel like family
productive and great place for a first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2016
i kept the shoe section spotless
you create social skills with co workers and customers
you build time management skills
and its a great first job
Exploitative work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2016
Exploitative work that is labor-intensive and pays a scrawny minimum wage despite education or experience.

If something is done wrongly you will be verbally abused by inept. barely educated management personnel.
Pros
Discounted merchandise
Cons
Low pay