Marshalls Employee Reviews

Very fun and friendly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 October 2017
Appropriate training, friendly staff, productive, great products, flexible hours, considerate and kind management, a lot of part time positions, lots to learn
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Not a lot of full time hours
Do Not Judge A Book By Its Cover, No Matter How Pretty The Cover May Seem
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON18 September 2017
Management:

Management is the foundation for good team morale. The productivity, efficiency, and general mood of your store associates are a direct product of management's attitude. Unfortunately, this company has a bad habit of securing and (and for lack of a better term) giving away management positions to either external hires who have absolutely 0 skills within a management position or internal promotions who pride themselves on exhibiting selfish and underhanded behaviour. Very rarely do qualified associates end up in a coordinator or managerial position within this company. And if they do, they often plateau for years while underqualified associates play right into the favourite role and coast by on sheer smoke and mirrors. The pay you're given is hardly acceptable for the amount work and stress one must go through on a day to day basis. The workload seems about average for a retail store until you realise that the workload given is not divided among employees, but rather assigned to 1 or 2 employees at best. The only real benefit of working for TJX is by working your way up into a position at head office. However, unless you fall under management's list of favourites, you'll more than likely have to find another way of getting a recommendation in by them. Most locations are a revolving door of associates excited to work there at first and utterly defeated upon being ousted or having left on their own terms.

Everyday Worklife:
A typical day would most likely begin with a mountain of merchandise that needs to be processed and put out onto the sales floor within the
  more... most ridiculous of time expectations while having to juggle being called to the registers for backup. The store is more than often understaffed, which means the time standards are hardly ever met since side projects, customer service, and cash assistance aren't factored into the time frame given. Which in turn falls as blame onto to the associate for not being fast enough to finish a task. Often times customers are rude and feel as if they're better than you because you work in a large retail environment. But the few respectful and kind customers make up for the dreary and uninviting ones that pile into the store. If you're scheduled to work while there are head office associates touring the store (buyers, planners, DM's, etc) expect to have to respect them and acknowledge them without any of the same treatment in return. Closing associates often have to finish off whatever was left by the opening associates, making it extremely difficult to recover the store while helping out at cash and providing customer service. Often times the store is plagued with too few associates which annoyingly results in constantly being asked to stay later or come earlier. Which could either be resolved by hiring associates who are more responsible for their shifts or have less restrictive availability.

All in all, this is truly one of that retail nightmares you hear about. Just on a grand, chain-wide scale. The only enjoyable thing you can find here is 1. the great friends you make and 2. the experience you gain from working at such a difficult establishment. If you can manage to work through this, you can work anywhere confidently and effectively.
Pros
The friends you make
Cons
Management, insane work hours, extremely high expectations, lack of respect, very little opportunity for work, dismal pay, underwhelming benefits and discount
Inexperienced Management Team
Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
When I started all was good, kept informed, good hours. One month after opening every ones hours cut by 75% and new hires are starting. Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The warehouse is a disorganized danger zone. In sort if you are a student looking for pocket change then this is the place. I'm sure Marshalls(Northgate) will never be nominated as one of the best run stores.
Pros
Fellow sales associates
Cons
Inexpericenced Manager/Assist Mgrs
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2017
Where nice at the beginning... telling staff they look alike... only praised their favorite staff...don't believe when you have a doctor's appointment plain rude.
A typical day
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2017
customers can be rude and walk all over the employees. Some managers are nice. The discount for employees sucks. They are good with internal promotion.
Very good place to work at
STORE MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 August 2017
it's very nice place to work at, good atmosphere, co workers always help, very very good management, the only problem was the short hours, it's just not enough, and it takes so long until they actually offer you a full time job .
Marshalls
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2017
the best place to start a career I always recommend youth to try such job as its the best place to form their work ethic. Marshalls has different type of job that covers all kind of talents
associate
Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2017
It was my first retail job in Canada. The work loads were hard. but the team workers was very friendly. The only unsatisfied things was the salary was too low to attract the employees to stay longer.
great work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 July 2017
great store
great co-workers
amazing manger

great environment, great place to be at.

overall this place will be a great and cool to work at and wish to live this experience
Pros
everything is good about this store
Cons
greasy and loud kids
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayers Lake, NS29 July 2017
I having nothing but great things to say about working for TJX Canada.
I was able to be apart of building this store, and setting it up for the Grand Opening in 2014.
The coworkers are amazing, and so are the management. They are compassionate and care about you. The only reason I left is because, I wasn't getting enough hours to support myself, living on my own. Other than that, it was a completely enjoyable place to be, and an amazing company to work for!
Productive, fast pace workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 July 2017
A Marshalls Homesense shift would begin with unloading many skids of merchandise and organizing it into bins. Later, the merchandise would be placed on the store floor and be made presentable. The management is very unprofessional. Problems in the workplace were not handle professionally.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Unprofessional management
Productive and very fun work environment.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2017
I enjoy working at Marshalls, especially when you're working in the warehouse receiving shipments. I just love these "amazing finds" that show up, like something you'd never expect to be at Marshalls/Winners.
Open and encouraging workplace, lots of positive feedback
cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
A typical day at work was greeting managers and co-workers in the break room, most of us had very well relations with each other. It would then go to clocking in and checking in with a manager to see what todays goals were and then going about to complete them. I learnt a large amount of customer service skills wether it was helping someone find a certain item or if it was dealing with an upset customer. Management was excellent my managers were always happy to help or teach when needed.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Few hours
best place to start a career in retail.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC15 June 2017
I have worked in Marshalls and this is where I got a chance to show my skills in the warehouse, cashier and the sales floor. Good opportunity to learn how to multitask in a work environment.
Marshals
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 June 2017
A typical day at Marshals consists of greeting customers with a friendly smile, and making them feel comfortable shopping at our location. At Marshals being organized and keeping your work area clean is also something you are required to do. Since working at marshals my customer service skills have greatly improved, I find it is not difficult talking to customers and also I am very comfortable creating conversation with customers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay
Great workplace but no further advancement
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 June 2017
It is a great workplace and I work with great people and I do enjoy my co-workers, they are a ton of fun! We are always doing something fun and work. However, it is very hard to move further up in the company and they give you tons of work for such little money. A lot is expected of you for such a low paying job. I also don't like how you are on your feet for long hours and do not even get one full hour off the floor.
Seasonal Worker
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 June 2017
Working as a seasonal associate was good, it did not entail many hours and I got retail experience. I did not work there for long but the job was good for high school.
Awesome atmostfear
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON30 May 2017
Loved working with such and amazing group of people always willing to lend a hand. Consistently had regular costumers and enjoyed greeting them and helping them by answering any question they might have had
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Little, no opportunity for advancement
Not the greatest place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2017
management aren't flexible when it comes to scheduling your hours, the floor is constantly understaffed and theres too many tasks to be completed for too little people, everyone is constantly strained, overall not the best place to work. the only perk was that there was always hours available since they were understaffed.
Groodworkplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 May 2017
The people I work with make the job much better.
Management should be more organized.
Learned a lot with the proper training from customer service to maintaining a clean workplace.