Marshalls Employee Reviews

Teamwork
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC12 January 2017
By working for a while now my experience towards my team and management is very grateful and I am very proud of having such great team who I like to work with and to be honest, I have learned a lot by working in this company, the managers are very friendly and very appropriate, and there is no hardest part in this job. the most enjoyable part of this job is when your managers are proud of you, what you have done.The one thing that i don't like about that if you want to get promotion, don't expect that...i wanted to be promoted and i waited and worked for it and they didn't promoted me.
Best place for management and store operations
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2016
I enjoyed work for them they were accepting of the times I needed to take care of when I lost a babysitter and had many days I called in because of this. Training was excellent. Happy and easy going management, still strict enough to get the job done. Moral that was the best I have ever seen in any retail store I have ever worked for. Unfortunately I was fired for absences I had no babysitter at the time when my son had a chronic illness.
Pros
Bought lunch and incentive programs
Cons
Erratic schedule
Not a worthy place to stay
Part-time Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 October 2016
Really poor management and bad efficiency.

The worst thing was, I remember the first day when I was in an orientation, the manager told us if we find a better place to go they would like to give us a good reference. AND IT TOTALLY WAS A LIE. They are not willing to give my new company a review except the date I worked there.

To be honest, the only reason I stayed in Marshalls for so long was my colleagues.
Pros
awsome team members
Cons
low salary, poor management
Great people to work with, simple work, fast pace enviroment
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 February 2017
Marshalls is a good place to work.They pay biweekly and the pay is above minimum wage The people who I work with are amazing and make going to work enjoyable. The management are a team of people who listen and work with individuals as a team. TJX Canada also makes sure their employees are properly educated on workplace safety, procedures, etc. Marshalls regularly has something called "Joy Parties" which are usually theme based and are a little thank you from the company to the employees for hard work.
Pros
10% employee discount
Cons
Hours fluxuate
A positive work environment with people who are motivated to work.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2016
Management team is remarkable, how they manage the store, treat co workers and customers are perfect. Very impressed by how they manage the store typically, an organized team who you can depend on with out a doubt.

What I have learned by working with them is that team work is very important to run a successful business, without any team work you are left with complaints, a messy store, so its very important to be sure who is hired because it can take one irresponsible person to mess up the whole routine. So must always do your duty and keep managers up to date about anything in the store or in personal life that may affect your work habit.

Most enjoyable part of the job was working with people who treated others as if they were like family. Second was dealing with customers, enjoying a simple conversation and lots of laughs.

Marshall's at Edmonton South Common was a wonderful experience and I would go back again.
Pros
occasional free lunches/ snacks, positive atmosphere
Great learning atmosphere
Front Line Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 January 2017
Personally I found it to be a great place for growth and learning. The management is pretty much open to any concerns and questions you have. They take care of any requests professionally if you have. All in all, perfect working atmosphere.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 June 2016
Everyone was so friendly at Marshalls, I really enjoy working with the people that I do. I have learned so much there, not just work wise, but even about myself. I've made tons of new friends. The management was good, they were really flexible with hours and super friendly as well. They were understanding if you needed a sick day or had to go home early as well. Everyone there was super understanding. In retail, customers can be very persistent until they get what they want. The customer is always right, and you always have to go with what they say. I think sometimes having to do that was a little bit difficult for me, but I always found a way to compromise with the customer. You always have to make the customer feel welcome and comfortable, and I love making people feel at home. At marshalls, we strive for friendliness and teamwork. We all work together as a team to get things done.
Pros
Parties and free snacks :)
Cons
Scattered shifts
work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 December 2016
it is fun to work here, its like a second family. associate management are nice, cooperative. you will get appreciation if you did good. i love to work here. but i am part timer. looking for full time permanent job.
Really Corrupt management
Customer Service and Merchandising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2016
Really corrupt management at the district level and at the store level. They are not home-growing employees and hire clueless employees from other companies for managers/store-managers. Currently, some of the best employees are leaving due to the corruption. The HR also is corrupt and never solve any reported issues and simply follow what the DM says. The company is living on lying and selfish management and will start to drop down soon if they CEOs/Presidents don't start to take action.
Pros
Benefit plan
Cons
Everything else
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2016
good place to work with because the management are all fun people.
very clean place as it is a new establishment.
my co-workers are friendly.
Pros
discounts on purchases for associates
Cons
not enough work hours
Productive and fast environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2016
I learnt and delveloped great customer service skills, I would sometimes be the only person working on the sales floor and still managed to keep it clean and help customers find items they were looking for. The managers were great, my co workers are amazing and very hard working people I respect them very much. For me the most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers with what they needed. For example I seen a women carrying so many thing is her hands, I grabbed her a cart and she was very appreciative and had told me that I made her day.
Pros
Associate parties
Cons
Janitorial work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2016
Working in Marshalls--I've learned to manage my time and improve on my customer service skills. It is an overall stressful environment however, throughout the years, i've learned to work through it in a much efficient way.
Although the most hardest part of the job is remaining calm during pressure, the company of my co-workers and managers makes it much enjoyable.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Repetitive
CUSTOMER SERVICE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 July 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing and talking to different kinds of customer everyday, knowing their stories about whats happening and assisting them and giving great customer service.
Pros
45 mins break
marshalls
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  mcdonough GA2 February 2017
great starting job for students and hard working individuals looking for a second job. They did a wonderful job with working with my school schedule and helped build my knowledge in customer service
Great People and atmosphere
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK25 January 2017
The people here are amazing and very friendly. There is many different places you can work in the store so you never get bored. They are also very understanding of your schedule
good place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 February 2017
good place to work and interact with customers and being able to help them not just to help them find what they are looking for but to also help load their cars
overall good place to work
Sales Floor (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 January 2017
Marshalls is a fun place to work, they have good staff and the hours aren't bad either. the store is run well and stays rather tidy giving a nice clean work space
Fun Workplace
Temporary - sales associate and cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 November 2016
I would either be Cash handling or doing Store and Display setup. I have Good communication skills with staff and customers.
Fun place to work. Great atmosphere.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 October 2016
I had a lot of fun with my workmates. Work was challenging, but worth it in the end. Flexible hours were a big bonus, as I could manage my studies at the same time.
The worst.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON24 March 2015
Worked at Marshalls Burlington.
Typical day at work consisted of one person in each section. A lot of the time you didn't have any help doing anything and you got called away to be on cash a lot.
Management didn't seem to do to much until the end of my time there. I almost never saw them helping out on the floor with the exception of a couple people.
Terrible hours, you cannot get a consistent schedule. Playing favourites, still book you on requested days off. You can work 9-5 one day then not get booked again for 3 days and them it's just a 4 hour shift.
Hardest part of the job was never being able to get anything done because it was so understaffed but I guess that was kind of head offices fault in not giving enough hours for the store to use to properly staff the store. Customers complained that there were never many employees on the floor to help them, or not enough cashiers to make the line move quicker.
No raises unless you specifically ask for them, not really any incentive programs.
Loved most of the people I worked with but I would not go back.
Pros
Getting to help customers.
Cons
Disorganized