Marsh & McLennan Agency Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Cut throat
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC20 September 2017
Soliciting and closing sales... some support but for the wrong reasons...

Culture was to bleed every dime of commission no matter who it came from
Mostly enjoy working @ Marsh
Employee Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA 232302 August 2017
I like the flex hours and benefits, I receive 4 weeks vacation per year a long with 10 paid holidays. However; they tend to have special treatment for certain non productive employees that are very distracting.
Pros
Great benefits!
Cons
Special treatment for negative employees
Management made the work enviroment fun
PLAN ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI1 August 2017
Work environment could be stressful at various times of the year based on client needs. Training opportunities provided helping employees to keep up.
Pros
Many Wellness benefits and programs
A great company for those who wish to work in the insurance field. Top products.
Producer (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OH21 June 2017
What makes MMA great are the people. From the CEO down, they were always willing to help and were genuine. The industry itself can be cut throat and is not always designed for new producers to succeed.
Pros
Autonomy, good bosses
Cons
Going through a transition sometimes blurred communication
Be prepared to overachieve
Client Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KS14 May 2017
A typical day at work consists of answering client interactions, marketing to various carriers, issuing certificates of insurance, or meeting with the Marketing Coordinator and/or producers to develop a strategic plan to maintain client retention. Management is available to their employees. This is a corporate workplace culture. The retention goals are higher than at other agencies. The hardest part of the job is juggling all of the high priority functions. At the end of the day, it is rewarding to know that I've helped clients.
Typical Insurance environment
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJ3 April 2017
A typical work day starts at 8:30 and ends around 4:30.
The workplace culture was overall a pleasant one but there were exceptions depending on who your manager was and department you worked in.
Pros
Bagels on Friday
Big agency that often doesn't feel like one
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX12 March 2017
Typical agency faire (new business, renewals, etc.). Great sales team! I learned a lot about client relationships because I was allowed to be more engaged one-on-one. Senior Leadership makes concerted effort to provide a positive working environment. Unfortunately, there is a lot of cattiness amongst lower management and their teams, making it difficult not to get involved and focus on your primary responsibilities.
Pros
Great sales team that you can learn a lot from
Cons
Too much gossip/cattiness at lower levels makes day-to-day often very challenging.
great place all around
Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX6 January 2017
Great place all around.
Great people. At least one free meal a week
trining could use some improvement for producers
lavish offices
not alot of turnover
raises every year based on performance.
Good place to work if experienced
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA5 May 2016
Typical day consists of troubleshooting desktop application issues. Well planned projects. Most enjoyable part of my day is when someone is genuinely happy and thankful for the service received. Hardest part is when users are impatient.
Pros
Work autonomously
Cons
Limited IT training
Very pleasant work environment.
Manager of Benefits Administration (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VA8 April 2016
Company is committed to their employees and the community at large. Very good support systems in place. Great effort rendered to ensure a good working culture and ethics.
Great Place to Work
Risk Advisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL15 October 2015
The people make this place. Relaxed environment with a focus on employee wellness. Great pay and bonus. Management tries to keep employees aware of changes and future plans. Upper management is hardly visible.
Pros
Free Lunches and activities
Agency recently bought by a corporation- Culture change
Commercial Lines Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MA13 September 2015
There is new culture at the agency, it is a corporate culture. I am not sure I fit in the new culture. That is why I am looking to see if there is a new opportunity for me elsewhere.
Unrealistic Work Load/Great Benefits
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX20 August 2015
Great atmosphere and people, but the work load that you are expected to keep up with is unrealistic. Would have to work 70 hour weeks in order to stay caught up.
Benefits
Cons
Hours needed to do the job
Sr. Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saddle Brook, NJ3 August 2015
I think there are great people at MMA. There are just too many chiefs and they all have conflicting ideas except that they all are way too over-consumed with the bottom line. I have to say, they promote employee education in a big way, that's a plus.
Great Place to work at
Prefer not to disclose (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL31 January 2015
The people are great and the work is enjoyable. There are busy times which is in every sales driven company but manageable.
good
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia7 May 2014
good environment to work, very stressful during open enrollment
Agency has the customized insurance and financial services expertise you need.
Associate Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY18 April 2014
•Providing world-class resources with local touch
• Serving our clients, colleagues, carriers, and communities
Wonderful Sales management
Sales Producer (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJ17 March 2013
Marsh & McLennan Agency purchased The NIA Group in 2010 to add to their newly created middle market insurance agency.

I was hired in 2008 as a newly licensed Property & Casualty broker. The training was intense and very well developed. I learned a lot and within one year was ranked in the top 10% of the sales force. My positon required me to develop new prospects and partner with technical staff members to write business. The process was a well oiled machine built for producers to suceed if they worked hard enough.

The most difficult part of the position was that the firm was very established in New Jersey. With a sales team of over 45 producers it was difficult to find prospects within my territory that other producers had not already "touched".

The most rewarding aspect of my positon was that I had a high closing ratio. Because we used a team approach and I was fairly new to the industry I was partnered with seasoned professionals that could assist me in writing business.

At MMA I learned how to create my own marketing programs that stood out from the competition. For example, I opened the door to my largest client by sending a cupcake to their office. I wrote a note stating that lowering their premiums "could be a piece of cake" and called them. The revenue on that account was in excess of $90,000. I also hired a telemarketer to make my cold calls while I networked and developed my prospects. It proved to be a very successful campaign opening opportunities at large international companies.
Pros
a wonderful learning experience in a new industry
Cons
it was difficult to find prospects within my given territory
MMA has great employee benefits and is currently in the mid stages of forming a new mid-market division, which I was proud to be a part of.
Business Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJ7 August 2012
A typical day at MMA consisted of reviewing my progress from the previous day and following up on plans made to further my contacts and pursue new business. Co-workers were pleasant and disciplined, which I appreciated because we shared the same work ethics. The hardest part of my job was staying positive at times when the desired results were not achieved, because I am a perfectionist to some degree.However, the most enjoyable part was the satisfaction I received when my efforts were rewarded with success. This was not what I would call a learning experience, rather it was a reinforcement of the values I believe in. It's important to balance disappointments at work and life in general with your successes and to keep everything in perspective and never give up.
Pros
entrepreneurial environment with lots of autonomy
Cons
lack of training and support in key areas
Productive and positive workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 May 2012
A typical day included office work such as filing, phone calls, scheduling, and any other task my boss required. I learned how to work in an office environment with others, be efficient, and how to do basic administrative tasks.