Marriott Vacations Worldwide

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Marketing Executive positions are not what you expect!
Marketing Executive (Former Employee), Singer Island , FLJune 30, 2014
Pros: stay at a marriott hotel
Cons: everything else
You will regret taking this job. You sit in a bull pen and make calls for 8 hrs looking for prospects to take sales tour. Guests are hounded to death and some do break down and sign up. Many do not show up and you are penalized if they don't. Script is many pages long and you sound like a puppet when reciting it. You are treated like a second class – more... citizen. The sales force looks down on you even though you are supplying them with appointments! Your conversations with guests are constantly being tested and you are looking over your shoulder all the time. No job security or advancement. You are quizzed about the Management Survey Test and TOLD to answer all questions with "strongly agree." What a farce! Vacation Club not part of the Hotel Division anymore. Mr. Marriott would be mortified if he knew how the Vacation Club is managed. – less
Too many cons that outweigh the pros
Senior Vacation Ownership Advisor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 28, 2014
Pros: diversity, learn more about geographical locations, decent wage
Cons: inconsistency with hr and management and typical phone job
Inbound call center. Typical day consists of 15-60 calls from owners that have purchased into the timeshare industry of Marriott. You help them plan and schedule their vacation in all aspects. Some owners ask you for help on what type of things to do at the resort and closest entertainment.

What I learned was that even though it's vacation and supposed – more... to be enjoyable, their selected vacation dates are not always available (timeshare) where the inventory was already booked by some other owners and there is limited availability. But there are practices that are behind the scenes that as a floor rep, you don't ever get taught, but it would help you to explain it to the owner.

Management: I have never worked for a company where the management was this far disengaged from the daily activities of a typical floor associate. I earned great ratings and was demanded by a lot of owners to be their go to rep based on the service I gave them. But, once I got a good spot where I served Marriott greater purpose (special projects that directly related to decrease customer rescission on purchase of timeshare) and by being on the phones, I was limited in what I could apply for. I expressed interest and asked to be mentored by 3+ managers all to be told "Be the best agent you can be and it will not go unnoticed." Well, 4.5 years later and I was still was a floor rep. You find inconsistencies with management with no desire by the company to fix it.

Co-workers: you'll find people that have been here for 13 years that don't get treated as well as the folks that have been hired 9 months ago. But you will find a vast and diverse working group of individuals from all walks of life. That part I enjoyed. A lot of tears when I left (from the other associates).

The hardest part of my job: the busy seasons and the management.

The most enjoyable part of my job: being told that I did a good job and the very little recognition that I received made me feel that I was doing what was right. – less
Culture of stress and poor job security...
In-house Marketing Executive (Former Employee), Hilton Head Island, SCMay 31, 2014
Pros: income potential; benefits
Cons: no job security, high stress, poor leadership, hostile work place, low basic wage
Hilton Head In-house Marketing Executives call owners to schedule a timeshare tour under the premise of concierge services. There is no true concierge tracking or software provided, so actually performing that aspect of the job is a rudimentary task at best. Binders and outlook express.

Marriott is embarrassed by the policy that penalizes ME's when – more... an owner no shows or cancels an appointment, so you are not allowed to gain proper commitment from the owner for an appointment. Yes, if more than 19% of your owners no show or cancel, you can lose your job. There are so many ways to lose your job, I honestly cannot list them all here.

Hence why everyone on the call center floor spends more time worried they are going to be fired for some made up infraction or performance deficit.

ME's are considered the lowest on the totem pole and are looked down upon by the sales side. Sales staff is too egotistical and will blame ME's when they are in a slump. Management perpetuates this stigma by not holding the sales execs accountable when missing opportunities.

This is truly one of those jobs where if you play dumb and keep your head down, you can cope and survive. If you have opinions and low tolerance for workplace hostility and drama...it may not be a good place for you.

$8.00 an hour plus commissions...the rules change every day; the goals change every day; and policies fluctuate based on managements' whims.

Dishonest about required work schedule and will change it on you after you begin, without warning! Not family friendly.

If you are a genuine closer, good money can be made but you have to blend into the wallpaper and keep your ideas to yourself. Environment is ripe for unethical conduct my management and there are no fair and consistent practices across employee treatment.

Benefits are great too, but if you become ill keep it to yourself. if anything might take you out of the job to recover, they will dispose of you and your benefits will end at midnight that night!

Please keep in mind that Marriott Vacation Club (Timeshare) is totally separate from Marriott International (Hospitality). The timeshare side rides the coat tails of what Mr. Marriott had envisioned and it's a darn shame.

Run...just run! – less
Marriott Cares For Associates
Manager of Coordinators, SW Region Rev Mgt (Current Employee), Marriott's Grand Chateau, Las VegasMay 25, 2014
I was given the opportunity to work with the Company and in a department that I am new too.
Interesting culture
Sr. Information Security Analyst (Current Employee), Lakeland, FLMay 22, 2014
Pros: casual dress most days
Cons: management has no training and treats employees poor. esp the employees with families.
The benefits made to full time associates are fantastic! I am a full time associate, not a contractor. The pitfall of MVW is a culture of working all the time, no time off... and verble confrontations when you request time off (using earned vacation time).
Great people and fun place to work.
Marketing Executive (Former Employee), Kapolei, HIMay 21, 2014
Welcoming guest and help planning there vacation. Signing people up to for a time share presentation. Learned a lot about people. Management left you alone if you did your job. Co-workers are now friends. Hardest part of the job was getting the guest to say yes about attending the sales presentation. Most enjoyable part of the job was the scenery.
Since breaking off from Marriott has gone down hill
Facilities (Current Employee), Hilton Head IslandApril 16, 2014
Unfortunately since the spilt from Marriott to its own side company things have gotten very bad with management. I work in one of the 9 properties on Hilton Head Island and with all those employees there are no human resources within a thousand miles. After seeing fellow mgmt. getting away with things that would not have been allowed under Marriott – more... it is time to move on. – less
A solid company that is good to it's people
Manager, Corporate Finance & Development (Current Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 29, 2013
MVW is a good company. The management team is good for the most part and has a good idea on how to grow the company for the future. They could do a better job with assessing employee productivity (merit pay, promotions, etc). Overall it is a good place to work.
Great place to work if you don't need to work!
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Orlando, FloridaOctober 26, 2013
Pros: professional atmosphere
Cons: too few of tours, a comp plan that is the lowest i've seen
Perhaps ten out of sixty "sales executives" actually make any money while the rest sit around and understandably complain about how their paychecks are $100 for the week. The commissions are the lowest in the industry and the gates/levels are the highest to reach. BUT, if you speak a language other than English, you might do ok. All in all, except for – more... a certain high level manager that will remain nameless, the rest are a very caring group. The sales office is clean and professional and the tours are, for the most part, qualified. If you choose to work there just be prepared to starve or have about 8-9 months of living expenses tucked away. You'll need it. Good luck – less
Great Work/Life Balance
Financial Services/Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Lakeland, FLOctober 7, 2013
Company's belief is that if you take care of the associate, they will take of the customer; most associates have started their career here and have been here almost 20 years; a very strong sense of family/work balance.
Your better off going to the casino
Sales Executive (Former Employee), newport beach, caSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: waste of time
Cons: they lie to you.
I worked in Newport Vacation Ownership. Firstly the environment is competitive. Watch out they have the tiers set so you don't get paid very little until you hit them. And there might not be enough tours to give you the opportunity to hit the tiers. Do the math opportunities, closing ratio x volume and fit in the commission tiers. Viola not a lot unless – more... your the top 3. – less
Marriott is a leader in the vacation ownership industry.
Senior Director, Government Affairs (Former Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2013
Marriott is focused on providing the best product and service in the vacation ownership industry, and provides good benefits.
Excellent to work for
Vacation Planning Counselor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 21, 2013
The employees at Marriott Vacations Worldwide are so spoiled. They have activities and food that you can attend frequently. I loved working for Marriott!
Bright employees, fun environment, great work life balance.
Director of Finance (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 16, 2013
Overall fantastic place to work. Employees are regarded as the most important asset to the senior leaders. As such, resources are spent on numerous learning opportunities, employee recognition programs, and fun activities.
Great opportunity for global advancement
Senior Supervisor Resort Liaison (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 5, 2013
Great diverse work atmosphere with opportunity for global advancement.
Great company in Central Florida
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 4, 2013
Pros: flexible work/life balance, good pay, good benefits
Cons: promotion process
MVW rewards employees with some great benefits and decent pay. There is always the ability to contribute and be recognized if you are willing to put in the hard work. Being promoted is far too much of a process and the company needs to work on developing from within better.
It's not bad
Recreation Attendant (Current Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 25, 2013
The property I work at is very small and everyone knows everyone and is fairly friendly. Most managers are able to work around school schedules.
Commission sales
SALES EXECUTIVE (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CAFebruary 19, 2013
A great job with wonderful people but I could not deal with a commission only sales position at this time in my life.
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a good company to work for.
Assistant Controller (Current Employee), Palm Beach County, FloridaJanuary 26, 2013
As a manger, I find the company to be a good company to work for.

– February 8, 2013

Worked for MI for six years and then became the "spin-off" and what a disaster. Management changed, rules changed, and now to me it is not the same dependable, caring company like it was when Mr. Marriott was CEO. The cut backs in employment so MVWC could earn more money for management really shows.

Fun and productive work environment
Food and Beverage Associate (Current Employee), Newport Beach, CADecember 3, 2012
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: not much place for advancement
Great environment to work in, relaxing setting and overall great organization with all departments

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Photos