Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun and Educational
Platinum Concierge (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 April 2017
Very positive environment. Interesting opportunity to book holidays. Also business trips for travelers. I found it very interesting to learn not only about the Hotel Industry. Also to learn about different cities and what they're famous for.
First Job
Waiter/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 April 2017
I was working as a busboy and then became a waiter given my hard working ethic. I enjoyed my co-workers and was upset that a company closed this location.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
closed and relocated
Productive, great employer to work for
BANQUET SERVER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 April 2017
It is a really good workplace that values and appreciates its employees. The work can be tough physically and schedules change often based on guests demand, just like all hospitality businesses, but overall, the pay and benefits makes it all worth it.
Best Company I have ever worked for
Guest Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, MB29 March 2017
I worked for the Marriott in Melbourne in 2013 and by far the best hotel. Unfortunately I was only there for 3 months due to personal reasons but everything about the how they operate from the GM all the way down is like a huge family. They say no one leaves the Marriott and you wonder why. Would definitely work for them again hands down if given the opportunity.
Pros
Awesome Staff
Cons
Cant think of any
good job
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON28 March 2017
this housekeeping position is very tiring on the feet all day. You complete your room itinerary then go home.so there's no set hours when you finish work. especially since your on call.
Cons
long hours on feet
Nepotisium at its finest
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 March 2017
Promotions were given out based on who people were related to not based on effort and skill. Shift availability was poor and those with out children were not allowed to work the day shift.
Fast paced call centre
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON21 March 2017
Very fast paced call centre with very little down time if any between calls. Bonus incentives and team incentives. Very competitive. When targets are hit, able to advance to next department but can take a few months for that to happen after you have reached the goal
Terrible
customer service agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON15 March 2017
5 years and it was all terrible. Sales expectations are stressful , Ended up taking a leave of absence. You will be let go if you dont meet their crazy standards
It's alright, if you can sidestep the drama with coworkers and management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC9 March 2017
You could say this was a decent job to get started in the area, but the perks aren't nearly as good as some of the other companies around, and they care a lot more about money then they will about you. You'll do well if you're let into the clique, but otherwise you'll find yourself up against some unfair situations.

I wouldn't recommend this job but that's just based on some of my experiences, and I was offered a great position with the mountain afterwards.

Note: I was kicked out of staff accommodation without any notice or reason other than they hired new staff and I was being replaced. I was given 2 hours to pack up and move out of staff accommodation, if I didn't have good friends in the area it would have been a really tough time, I wouldn't trust this company. My advice is just look for a job on the mountain and know you'll have a great time!
Cons
No mountain pass - you have to pay for it, unpredictable hours, some staff and coworkers are difficult to get along with
Good place work evironment
Room Attendant/Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 March 2017
Typical day at work : Need to be consistent to clean room, fast and clean

What I learned : Fast environment, Customer Service skills

Management : Time management

Workplace culture : Multicultural workplace

The hardest part of the job to learn is when the guest check out is delayed and the room is waiting to be clean for the next arrival ( in which case i would move to the next room to be clean )

The most enjoyable part of the job : Coworker nice

Want to know more about Marriott International, Inc.?

Ask a question
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 March 2017
The Westin Ottawa was generally a good place to work. As a manager the expectation was to work long hours which is hard on family. Management is friendly but the is a lot of politics involved.
Pros
Very nice hotel
Cons
Steady calls with great coworkers and callers.
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON2 March 2017
When I would arrive for my shifts at Starwood, I would log into a computer at one of the desks, and begin taking calls, for the most part, from people who wanted to book, cancel or change a hotel reservation. Working at Starwood, gave me confidence in my vocational abilities. It helped me with compassion. It gave me the chance to help people, and it helped me build my abilities when it came to prioritizing, teamwork, and efficiency. The management were kind and fair. Other employees, were friendly, professional and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be when I might occasionally get a caller that just could not be nice, no matter how nice I tried to seem and sound to them. But, with these callers, keeping a professional tone, and helping them with what they wanted as efficiently as I could, seemed to help the calls end smoothly. The best part of the job was when I sensed a good rapport with the callers; where they seemed to quickly pick up on my sincere tone, and how much I would be able to help them.
Engaging and Ever Changing Work Atmosphere
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC2 March 2017
When going in to work at the Westin I was in for a different set of circumstances every day. I learned how to effectively communicate with guests, effectively troubleshoot, and work well both independently and as a team.
Sheraton Red Deer
Guest Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 February 2017
Working at the Sheraton Red Deer is a great stepping stone to build into a larger centre. Wonderful place to gain knowledge.
Pros
Facilities
Well it wouldn't be bad...
Customer service, reservation sales (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 February 2017
If it weren't for the poor management who care only for numbers and not at all about their staff, this wouldn't be a half bad place to work.
As it is, it's a call center/service, so you have to put up with a LOT of garbage from customers. On top of that, bonus' are dangled in front of your face, but only seem to be given to those in the "in crowd" and aren't actually merit based rewards. You can have amazing sales numbers and not get an incentive or a raise, yet your co-worker who you know to have stats far below your own will get incentive's every month.
They say there's lots of room for advancement with in the company, but there is not, unless you're an American greencard holder. They say there's yearly raises, but they're so small it's not even worth trying for.
I will say this, if you're older, don't need a job to say pay your bills (as they do not pay a livable wage) and just want to take advantage of their employee discount program, this is a great job to take because the only upside to working at Marriott is the generous discount given to employees, that being said, even at their low employee rates, it is really hard to afford any sort of vacation as their pay is barely above minimum wage and is not at all a livable wage.
Pros
Generous discounts for hotels
Cons
Pretty much everything else, poor management, less than livable wage, high quota's
miss treatment, favoritism, racism, unfair punishments, unfit management.
Housekeeper/Laundry (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 February 2017
i have never worked in such a horrible place, shame on etkins for letting this mistreatment happen. people and other staff members belittled me, yelled at me made me feel bad.
Pros
one free 10 min break.
Cons
horrible staff and management.
Great Banqueting Experience
Assistant Banquet Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Great team and Hotel to work with. Really enjoyed my experience at Westin Harbor Castle.

Larger banqueting venues but we executed every event with a personal touch.
Great hotel experience for any leader
Manager, Venues & Sheraton VIP Club (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
From the very first day I joined this hotel, I am amazed with the sheer volume of business and how all the associated and management keep up with the phase to exceed guest expectations.
Time of the day does not matter as you will always have some challenges to face and quickly come up with a solution to deal with them.
Within last couple of years, we have achieved phenomenal successes in both Financial and Guest satisfaction with keeping highest Occupancy/ADR and F&B revenue in the region.
Workplace
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON13 February 2017
This location has its quirks, however it's a great location to start and grow your experience. The employes are always ready to help you should you need it.
Fun workplace
Banquet Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2017
Very Professional place to work.
Staff is great.
Food is amazing.
Hotel is clean.
Scheduling really good
They pays well
Very Modern
Good place to learn and develop as an employee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

56.9K