Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
great coworkers, good pay rate
Customer Service (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONOctober 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: repetitive, not flexible with shifts or days off
answer phone calls
answer questions
research hotels and provide information
great coworkers
repetitive
One of the best companies I have worked for
LAUNDRY ATTENDANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2014
The company extremely considerate to personnel. I was very happy with the corporate level.
Front Desk Agent/ Switchboard (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONOctober 1, 2014
Pros: discounts when staying in the marriott
Cons: unpaid lunches
That was my fist job in the hospitality field so basically I had to learn everything from the beginning. All the team is very helpful and understanding
Good working environment
Reservations and Customer Care Agent (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBSeptember 22, 2014
Good working environment. Fair wage. I didn't feel like a number even though I was working for a call center.
poor
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Niagara FallsSeptember 22, 2014
Manager had no people skills. When I called in to say I couldn't make my shifts because of a death in the family, she said "Do you know how difficult this makes it for me?" Appalling.
Wonderful Company to work for.
Supervisor of dining room and housekeeping (Current Employee), Moncton, NBSeptember 21, 2014
Wonderful Company to work for. I loved the atmosphere and the management and staff are very nice. It's like a family there when you are at work.
Rewarding place to work
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: meals
I work front desk as a guest service agent, checking guests in and out of the hotel, dealing with guest requests and complaints. I have learned how to ensure guest satisfaction by dealing with and resolving guest issues by myself. The hotel has many employees and tends to retain them for a long time. They are like a second family to me. The hardest part of my job also happens to be the most rewarding, dealing with upset guests and ensuring they leave the hotel happy.
Best Place I have Worked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 25, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: it was shut down due to government funding
Professional location; wonderful staff and management; excellent medical benefits and pay.
Great place to work. Lots of incentives
Reservation agent (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONAugust 22, 2014
Great place to work. Lots of support if needed. Incentives were great. Pay was competitive.
One of the worst hotels to work for in Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Front Office Assistant (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONAugust 8, 2014
Pros: discounts on marriotts worldwide.
Cons: everything else.
Management is horrible in that they do not address employee problems. The unionization is a joke. Pay is low. Demands of work due to severe understaffing are ridiculous. Front Office manager gossips about her staff and is extremely rude and unprofessional.
Internship
HR Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 29, 2014
This was a great opportunity to work in a corporate setting and gain experience as an intern.
Great Company to Work for!!
Inbound Reservations Agent (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBJuly 24, 2014
Pros: discounted hotels, employee treatment and recoginition
Cons: hours
A typical day at work consisted of answering the many various types of phone calls related to hotel reservations. Answering questions about our services, products and properties. Making reservations, cancellations,modifications, etc. I learned alot about the various areas of the world, through the many properties we were in charge of taking reservations for. My management was great, always with constructive feedback, always willing to talk to us and help us out when need be. I had a lot of great coworkers as well, but the hardest part of the job at the time was when I got done each night. I was in school at the time also and did not finish work until late at night. My favorite part of the job was learning about the different properties, and areas in the world.
Productive and fun workplace
Pastry Chef, WORK TERM (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 22, 2014
Pros: cheap lunches
Cons: had to finish my term
Working at the Marriott was very professional yet fun. Everyone got along with each other and there was never any disputes. I enjoyed working there for my work term.
A challenging and great opertunity
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee), enoch. edmontonJuly 22, 2014
Great hotel begin with great employees! With over 180 rooms its one of the best places to work for .
career challenging experience. if you are looking to boost your career to new height, join team today. compensation packages are among the best in the industry.
not a fun place to work..
GENERAL MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2014
this place is not like before, different management

no fun at work place !!
Worst place to work Courtyard By Marriott Edmonton west.
Executive Chef (Current Employee), Edmonton WESTJuly 12, 2014
Pros: nothing at all
Cons: lots to say and proved by each staff who works here, cant fit in 2 million words
Never safe at work, zero safe work practice , egoistic management ,arrogant owners, ZERO job safety. No appreciation. Foreign workers are made to work for free after 8 hours shift. No raises to any staff after few years of hard work. The worse place to work I have seen so far in my 20 years of Chef carrier
Working as a team is the most effective and best way to good productivity.
catering supervisor in Residence Inn Marriot (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 7, 2014
Pros: good experience, lot of learning
Cons: less hours
1- I look after various meeting rooms which includes setting up buffet, setting up conference tables, napkin folding, food and beverage service, handling guest complaints, clearing out the buffet, getting ready for next day's meeting room and cleaning work place before I leave.

2- I learned various style of buffet set up, importance of team work, time management, guest preference, how to deal with co-workers

3- The hardest part of my job is when I ran out of food for the guest.
So, I avoid too much refilling of food in chaffing dish, as guest sometimes tend to waste food.

4- The most enjoyable part of my job is when my guest appreciate my service.
DON'T! DON'T work here!!
Former Marriott Slave (Former Employee), Halifax Residence InnJuly 7, 2014
Pros: nothing!!!
Cons: no help even though the managers office looks out to the dining area. too much work for one person.
If you want to do the job of 3 people, have absolutely no help from anyone and be constantly overwhelmed by trying to accomplish your tasks while management looks on without pitching in then this is the job for you. Poor wages for the work you do, absolutely insane management as they berate you for not being able to do the impossible and no guarantee of hours makes this one of the worst employers in Halifax. Look elsewhere. Even fast food would be better then this place.
Best job ever
Staff cafe cook (Former Employee), Lake Rosseau, OntJuly 3, 2014
Pros: benfits really awsome, great staff activities
Cons: staff accommodations, get your own place if you can.
Great people, beautiful location. Not the greatest for winter living which was why I left with paying rent didn't think I could afford it year round. Great retirement area. People are super friendly. The town Port Carling great for days off. Highly recommend it for people and to students going into Culinary.
Excellent job
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2014
Pros: excellent job
I started at the Marriott as a server and moved my way up to barrister
to food and beverage manger.

I learned the way hotels work from different position from a union employee to non union employee.

All the staff at the Marriott are amazing.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the growth inside the hotel. Dealing with guest and ensuring they get the service the are looking for but exceeding their expectations.

The hardest part of the job was leaving the job.Management and staff are great.
Headquarters