Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

fun place to work
Sr. Maintenance (Former Employee) –  TMEC/ TMAJanuary 18, 2015
Outside guest satisfaction as well as internal guest.different days different issues to tackle.team work ok.
Pros
salary pay
Cons
Hard work, fun co workers
Steward (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 18, 2015
As a steward my duties were, clean dishes that returned from banquets, as well as the pots and pans. cleaned dishes from "spin" restaurant and also did overnight cleaning, cleaned and disposed waste from both the banquet kitchen and restaurant kitchen. The hardest part of the job was always being the only dishwasher almost all the time, it was alot of work.
Mediocre
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Work days range as a housekeeper at a hotel. This job is extremely physical, and while I do enjoy that aspect, the pay is ridiculous. An average work day for a housekeeper should be 16 rooms, 8 hour day. There have been several times where I have been expected - and produced- over 20 rooms in 9 hours. Sacrificing breaks and having no compensation for it to me, is ridiculous. I love what I do, but working at this Marriott has made me skeptical to others. The hardest part of my job would be having co workers who can barely speak our native language (English). Not only is it embarrassing for myself and others, but also irrelevant for a hotel when guests are depending on staff for recommendations on where to eat, activities to do, directions etc. The best part of my job is most definitely the guests. I love interacting and getting on a professional yet personal level with them- especially "regulars". These people are constantly on the go, and what I've experienced is the guests really do appreciate a familiar face away from home. That to me is gratifying in itself.
Pros
cheap hotel stays, medical benefits
Cons
unscheduled / improper breaks
Unproductive, depressing workplace
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 6, 2015
The Marriott is definately not a pleasant work environment. Upper management is the worst I have ever had to deal with. They treat ALL employees like door mats. They talk about team work when in fact no team exists. The manager I have to deal with is a bully and abuses his authority. I love the job itself, but can't wait to find employment where management actually treats their staff with dignity and respect. The morale in this work place is so low it's almost non existant. Their answer to this problem was to hand out ice cream to staff instead of a face to face meeting where this issue as well as others could be addressed and hopefully resolved. Not only do they nickel and dime guests, they do the same to the staff. The turn over this past year has been phenomenal due to hiring an operations manager that is incompetant, unprofessional and highly immature.The hardest part of the job is going in everyday!!
Pros
well, we get pizza once a month
Cons
having to deal with buratic garbage everyday
Great experienced at Hotel
Internship (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 20, 2014
Learned problem solving skills

Learned how to communicate
great place and opportunity to learn
Room attendant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 2, 2014
mornings are always fast paced, greeting our guests, some checking in, some checking out and some just grabbing breakfast,
i pack my cart up and get going, 15 sweets to get done.
iv learned bed making techniques, chemical handling, hotel procedure,
Pros
free coffee
great in general - too many hours
Supervisor Events Department/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Rosseau, ONNovember 13, 2014
Payroll for Events Department, Supervise associates. Organize Events, from set up to completion. Main contact for conveners and groups. Oversee all aspects of Events. Ensure all events run on time and smooth. Daily log of all events.
Balance cash and tickets for bar functions.
Daily billing of events
Pros
payscale
Cons
to many hours worked
it is an okey place to work
Housekeeping and laundry (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 28, 2014
no a so friendly crew to work with, it is more of a seasonal job
Pros
free meals
Cons
it is seasonal
Beautiful resort in Muskoka
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONOctober 23, 2014
In a short time, I learned the importance of teamwork and working independently. The Marriott emphasized teamwork and the idea of being an orchestra - this idea was proven under extremely busy days, as people from different departments aided others. I learned the importance of time management and of the satisfaction of guests. I had strong relationships with my co-workers; everyone helped each other in various ways. The hardest part of the job was the hours - we were understaffed and working over time every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing guests come from all over to vacation in such a remote, but quaint place... and to see their reactions of the stunning view of the lake.
Well compensated
Guest Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 22, 2014
Company that offers a lot of working hours, good compensation and benefits
Pros
good benefits
Cons
schedule is irregular
Fun place to work at
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  MississaugaOctober 9, 2014
Great place to work at. I've learned so much over the years

Everyone is like family here,Very fast paced environment,
The co-workers are great and everyone has fun.

Everyday is different and the most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to meet great people each day
Pros
the people
fun place
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2014
Always busy and many different areas to work in to learn the hotel life. Plenty of places to transfer to when opportunities arise.
Pros
lots of work
Cons
shift work
great coworkers, good pay rate
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONOctober 3, 2014
answer phone calls
answer questions
research hotels and provide information
great coworkers
repetitive
benefits
Cons
repetitive, not flexible with shifts or days off
One of the best companies I have worked for
LAUNDRY ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2014
The company extremely considerate to personnel. I was very happy with the corporate level.
Front Desk Agent/ Switchboard (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 1, 2014
That was my fist job in the hospitality field so basically I had to learn everything from the beginning. All the team is very helpful and understanding
Pros
discounts when staying in the marriott
Cons
unpaid lunches
Good working environment
Reservations and Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBSeptember 22, 2014
Good working environment. Fair wage. I didn't feel like a number even though I was working for a call center.
poor
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Niagara FallsSeptember 22, 2014
Manager had no people skills. When I called in to say I couldn't make my shifts because of a death in the family, she said "Do you know how difficult this makes it for me?" Appalling.
Wonderful Company to work for.
Supervisor of dining room and housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBSeptember 21, 2014
Wonderful Company to work for. I loved the atmosphere and the management and staff are very nice. It's like a family there when you are at work.
Rewarding place to work
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2014
I work front desk as a guest service agent, checking guests in and out of the hotel, dealing with guest requests and complaints. I have learned how to ensure guest satisfaction by dealing with and resolving guest issues by myself. The hotel has many employees and tends to retain them for a long time. They are like a second family to me. The hardest part of my job also happens to be the most rewarding, dealing with upset guests and ensuring they leave the hotel happy.
Pros
meals
Best Place I have Worked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBAugust 25, 2014
Professional location; wonderful staff and management; excellent medical benefits and pay.
Pros
everything
Cons
it was shut down due to government funding