Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Marriott was my training for my future.
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON18 September 2013
I worked under a qualified chef, he was my mentor. The general Manager at the time sent me for many training courses to aid in my training, I moved up the ladder quickly, this job was the one to help choose my carrer.
Pros
Positive
Fun place to work , Productive
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2014
Performs housekeeping duties as needed , assigns rooms and duties to staff. creates schedule rosters and ensure that duties and responsibilities are carried out. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping others.
One of the best Employers in the world
FIRST COOK (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2014
-One of the best Employers in the world
-Freedom of Expression
-great co-workers
-amazing management, they do listen to us.
-work life balance is there
-progress is certain if the hard work is evident
Pros
you can be your self
Overall a good company
Reservation Telesales Agent (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, Ont26 May 2014
overall it is a basic call center life, the management team is highly professional, and will do everything in their power to help you reach goals and advancements. i would definitely recommend them as an employer
Good Workplace but Seasonal Layoff
Guest Services/ Houseperson (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON10 May 2015
Good workplace with free lunch but its a seasonal with layoff in winter. Management is good and helpful. Overall an OK experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Seasonal LAYOFF
Excellent place to work
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2015
Demanding schedules requiring a lot of creativity and attention to details.
Gives you a great insight into people's way of thinking, their nature, their concerns and fears and creative ways to abate them and assist them to have a great event.
Time management is so critical as sometimes the customers are highly anxious about the success of their event and sometimes unreasonable and/or too demanding. Also learned how to deal without taking things personally.
Co workers are fabulous. The focus is on customer satisfaction. They set aside personal differences and politics and cooperate unconditionally to meet the company goals.
The hardest part of the job is to bite your tongue at unwarranted rudeness especially when you are going out of the way to please and make them comfortable. This is more so when customers try to take advantage of your hospitality.
The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction you get when you see the look on the customer's faces at the completion of event. It makes going all out of the way and the exhaustion all worthwhile.
Pros
Lots of personal satisfaction
Cons
Irregular and irregular hours and exhaustion
Vast array of company perks.
Chef De Partie (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2013
Very professional organization with great staff and solid managment, An organization that values its associates and is invested in our future.
Pros
great perks worth thousands a yaer.
Cons
wish kitchen could have meals paid.
Productive and Enjoyable Environment
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FL16 February 2014
I work three distinct jobs within Marriott: front desk, night audit, and maintenance. For the most part, these jobs include a large emphasis on guest relations and being "the face of the company." Throughout my experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott, I have learned a lot about how the computer systems for Marriott properties operate, how the financial information is updated into the company's database, valuable lessons from guest service interactions, and the importance of communication in the workplace. I have also trained others employees in how to work the front desk and night audit positions.

The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job- the customer interactions. We receive a lot of business travelers, who are often overworked, stressed out, and cannot catch a break. Sometimes it is difficult to assist an unhappy guest, but at the same time it is a blessing to be able to fix the situation and maybe be the one bright spot that our guest had all day.
I worked with the hotel controller
Accounting Department, Temporary Assignment (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NY1 June 2013
Temporary position I worked with the hotel controller on various projects within the accounting department.
Pros
Very professional atmosphere
Cons
This was a temporary position
Team work and supportive atmosphere.
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2013
Team work and supportive atmosphere. Marriott family.
'Take care of your associates and they will take care of your guests who in turn will keep coming back' - Mr. Marriott's philosophy.
Pros
scope to grow.
some good people
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 June 2015
fast pace. how to work on heat pumps exc. work with a good group of people. unplugging clogged washrooms.learning new things
Pros
free BBQ
Cons
work every weekend
Travel the world through booking hotel reservations!
Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON28 January 2013
A typical day at work would be arriving half and hour before my shift to find a pod, set up my computer, phone and headset. I had learned a lot of valuable tools in training and as well as teach myself new things on going everyday. Will meet with a manager about my calls and review skills I can improve on, management is always first to tell you how great of a job you`re doing! Right along with them are, amazing co-workers at the Marriott, everyone is so wonderful. I would Say one of the hardest parts about working for the Marriott is the hours, I am more of a morning person and have been blessed with a 5:00 p.m - 1:30 a.m shift. That would change in time with shift bids granted, that is all based on seniority. There is by far way more enjoyable things working for the Marriott to pick from many I would say a top three for me would be the guests. I like dealing one on one with a guest planning and plotting out trips so they can create long life memories.
Pros
visits from marriott properties, dinner parties
Cons
late hours
good place to meet new people
GSA/Night Auditor/Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2015
Exciting place. Got to meet alot of nice people. We generally had the flight crews stay with us. They were completely friendly and met alot of new friends.
Typical hospitality environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 September 2013
The Marriott group of companies has a fantastic culture and set of values. The property was absolutely beautiful and the staff were all wonderful people. Unfortunately, I found upper management to be lacking in professionalism. A leader is suppose to lead by example and I felt that the Marriott culture was fraudulent at this particular property. I have worked with/for much more respectable Managers.

The most difficult part of the job was working shifts and dealing front-line with the public for low pay. The same positions in surrounding towns/cities are paying at least $2.50/hr more. This trend isn't specific to this property though; I found most hotels and resorts in Kingston to be paying comparatively low wages.
I did enjoy working with such a wonderful and professional team of co-workers and I felt like part of a family for the time that I was there.
Pros
Beautiful property, abundant training, prestigious company, job security, transferability.
Cons
Unprofessional management, high turnover, low pay, shift work.
great coworkers, good pay rate
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON3 October 2014
answer phone calls
answer questions
research hotels and provide information
great coworkers
repetitive
benefits
Cons
repetitive, not flexible with shifts or days off
Wonderful Company to work for.
Supervisor of dining room and housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB21 September 2014
Wonderful Company to work for. I loved the atmosphere and the management and staff are very nice. It's like a family there when you are at work.
The staff were fun
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2015
Fast pace environment with great staff and reasonable flexible hours however the work itself was pretty boring and the hourly wage was low.
Cons
low salary
Reservation Agent
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB28 August 2013
I really liked working there I the discount for the rooms was great the health benefits were awesome it is too bad that they closed the call center here in Fredericton
Fun to work, different things everyday
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2013
Very busy, interactive work
Having Fun working with others
The hardest part is when you have to stay longer hours because people don't show up.
Something New n Exciting everyday
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2012
II gett to see a 1000 new faces everytime ii workk! Helps me get to work, knowing im gonna have funn while im there. I Love My Jobb!

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location