Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Reservation Agent
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBAugust 28, 2013
I really liked working there I the discount for the rooms was great the health benefits were awesome it is too bad that they closed the call center here in Fredericton
very nice and inviting environment
Houseman (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJune 17, 2015
made sure the house keepers had fresh clean linen and supplies to clean the rooms

empited dirty linen from the housekeepers carts

cleared all garbage and recycling from the hallways

light cleaning duties in the lobbies and hallways, vacuming, dusting, etc.

my co-workers were very nice and the management
Pros
free lunches
Cons
very cold break room
Great company to work with
GUEST SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 28, 2013
Hospitality industry does not sleep, odd hours, loved helping people having best vacation and work related stays
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
hours
highest standards required and a good place to learn from
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Paigan House Road,ON,CanadaMay 4, 2014
Enjoyable enviroment to work in, aslo good salary and benifits
Pros
being able to save
Cons
n/a
Great people
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 28, 2015
Such a great group of people to work with. It was a nice, clean environment and middle management are a great team.

The job was to take reservations for the Marriott family of Hotels worldwide.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with demanding customers. I want to help everyone get what they want but sometimes what they want wasn't always possible.
Pros
Fun
Cons
tedius
Fun place to work at.
Supervisor Auto Park (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 7, 2013
Good benefits and good people to work with. The customers can sometimes be very rude. Do not take it personal.
Ok work place
Housekeeping Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2015
Work is same as every other hotel, but the downside the employee are not direct employeed by Marriott, rather a management company, so not much benefit and average in wage.
Pros
always busy and keep people working
Cons
no over time pay, low or no benefit, average/ low wage
Fun at work place and very cooperative & helpful staff.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 11, 2015
It was a very nice working environment. Work mates were helpful to each other. Personally I had an nice experience and got to learn different things and learn to deal with different problems.
Pros
Meal was provided during shift hours and unlimited beverages.
Call centre environment
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONAugust 22, 2015
At the Marriott I answered calls and answered questions about hotel facilities and went through prices and perks of hotels used for either business or pleasure. I enjoy working with the public and I enjoyed the co-workers.
Great place to work it is fun and you meet great people
Customer Service room attendnt (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls OnApril 10, 2012
I have learned quite alot from this place of employment, but they do not give you a chance for advancement,I worked there for six years and the only way you advance if someone quits or they get fired. Management is awsome co workers are great but the most enjoyable part of my job was attending to my guests needs. I enjoyed every person that came to my rooms and complimented me on such a great job I had done and I looked forward to go to work everyday just to see the smiles on thier faces. The hardest part of my job was leaving the Marriott for good, I loved it there but it was time to move on.
Fun meeting different customers from different cities
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 27, 2015
Greet each customers, understand their needs in rooms,able to meet different guest in the hotel coming from different cities,countries.,
Pros
free lunch
Cons
waking up at 4 am
Fun and Interactive Workplace
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 24, 2015
- Check in guest, Answer phone calls, deal with inquiries and make reservations
- Interact with guests
- Report to management about any issues
- Multitask
- Pass on important messages to my co workers
Unproductive, depressing workplace
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 6, 2015
The Marriott is definately not a pleasant work environment. Upper management is the worst I have ever had to deal with. They treat ALL employees like door mats. They talk about team work when in fact no team exists. The manager I have to deal with is a bully and abuses his authority. I love the job itself, but can't wait to find employment where management actually treats their staff with dignity and respect. The morale in this work place is so low it's almost non existant. Their answer to this problem was to hand out ice cream to staff instead of a face to face meeting where this issue as well as others could be addressed and hopefully resolved. Not only do they nickel and dime guests, they do the same to the staff. The turn over this past year has been phenomenal due to hiring an operations manager that is incompetant, unprofessional and highly immature.The hardest part of the job is going in everyday!!
Pros
well, we get pizza once a month
Cons
having to deal with buratic garbage everyday
Great Team work
Administrative & Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 5, 2015
Working at the Marriott has built my confidence in who I am and what I can accomplish.

My day has challenges never the same learning to love the accounting aspect and would like to learn more with all areas.

My co-workers are friends and are very special to me.
Pros
Challenges
Cons
there are none
Good Workplace but Seasonal Layoff
Guest Services/ Houseperson (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMay 10, 2015
Good workplace with free lunch but its a seasonal with layoff in winter. Management is good and helpful. Overall an OK experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Seasonal LAYOFF
An overall review
Houseperson/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  London, ONApril 10, 2013
A typical day at work would be getting really busy doing a lot of cleaning, maintenance and the number one priority which is to provide the guests with a service so memorable. I have learned to consolidate my skills in dealing with very difficult and stressful situations even though I have been working for the hospitality business for more than 20 years. Here, it has been very different for me. My co-workers are friendly but you can always find someone who is always looking for a little trouble, mainly in my department. The hardest part of the job is to remind my coworkers over and over about what they are supposed to do even though they have been there longer than me and be surprised at some who do not show any interest or care about their job. The most enjoyable part is being able to interact with the guests and be able to put a smile on their faces every time they have a problem or feel flustered about anything. At the end of the day, that is the reason why we are there for. To make them have a pleasant and comfortable stay in our property and feel like home. The management is not so great and that includes only my supervisor and the General Manager. They don't seem to care much about the workers' needs there nor how the workers feel in every aspect of life. They don't even care if you get sick one day like normal humans do, they will still try to make you come to work and if you don't, you have to bring a doctor's note. To judge a worker, they don't care about this person's history like how good a worker this person has been or if he has never been late to work, things like  more... that and I consider that good workers should be taken into consideration. The only thing they pretty much care for is selling, that is all that matters to them. In other words, workers feel the need to be appreciated for what they do.  less
Pros
health cover. benefits
Cons
salary. very low for what we do.
Call Centre Environment with fun people to work with
Reservation Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONFebruary 25, 2015
I worked 8 hour days where I learned interpersonal skills through telephone sales. Management was very helpful and my co workers were a valuable asset to have beside me. Hardest part of the job was selling to people who were not interested in particular properties when others were sold out. My favourite part of the job was the commissions.
Pros
hotel room perks, free lunches, large lounge for work team
Cons
never changing environment
the people are great, but the management is negative.
Housekeeping Staff (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 27, 2015
The hours of housekeeping are good, never work after 6. The pay is minimum wage and the management is continuously testing to see if we are aware of certain practices. Also, if change in behaviour is needed the lines of communication are not effective. The best part is the other housekeepers and their humour. The worst part is the pay to expectation ratio.
Productive, Hardworking, Honest, Friendly Environment
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Jazan, Saudi ArabiaMay 31, 2014
I enjoy to work in this company because a lot of people became my friends here, I learned how to be depend myself when it comes to job and deal in the right way to guest while working. Be friendly to everyone guest or coworkers. The management are supportive and fair to each individual.The most enjoyable part of the job is friendly environment.
Pros
free 3 meals
Beautiful resort in Muskoka
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONOctober 23, 2014
In a short time, I learned the importance of teamwork and working independently. The Marriott emphasized teamwork and the idea of being an orchestra - this idea was proven under extremely busy days, as people from different departments aided others. I learned the importance of time management and of the satisfaction of guests. I had strong relationships with my co-workers; everyone helped each other in various ways. The hardest part of the job was the hours - we were understaffed and working over time every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing guests come from all over to vacation in such a remote, but quaint place... and to see their reactions of the stunning view of the lake.

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location