Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Unproductive, depressing workplace
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: well, we get pizza once a month
Cons: having to deal with buratic garbage everyday
The Marriott is definately not a pleasant work environment. Upper management is the worst I have ever had to deal with. They treat ALL employees like door mats. They talk about team work when in fact no team exists. The manager I have to deal with is a bully and abuses his authority. I love the job itself, but can't wait to find employment where management actually treats their staff with dignity and respect. The morale in this work place is so low it's almost non existant. Their answer to this problem was to hand out ice cream to staff instead of a face to face meeting where this issue as well as others could be addressed and hopefully resolved. Not only do they nickel and dime guests, they do the same to the staff. The turn over this past year has been phenomenal due to hiring an operations manager that is incompetant, unprofessional and highly immature.The hardest part of the job is going in everyday!!
Fun meeting different customers from different cities
Hostess (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 27, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: waking up at 4 am
Greet each customers, understand their needs in rooms,able to meet different guest in the hotel coming from different cities,countries.,
Worst experience ever
Marriott Event Technology Manager (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 23, 2013
Pros: wage and benefits seemed good
Cons: worst management ever!
I relocated from Calgary to Halifax for a supervisor position and at first it seemed like a dream job. Shortly after realizing that management were absolutely crazy, unreasonable, unorganized, and unprofessional I realized I made a terrible mistake. The stress level was unbelievable and totally unnecessary! Worst employer ever! Don't ever relocate for them for gods sake whatever you do trust me! The pay was good at first glance and the benefits were good but not worth it in the slightest.
Great Managers
Housekeeper- Restaurant jobs (Former Employee), KingstonMarch 3, 2015
Pros: was able to use employer rate, great managers
Cons: not flexible with working around school schedule in fall
Was part of opening team and grew to different departments. Starting in housekeeping, moved to the restaurant side of the business.

What I like was having a meeting with all departments every morning about 10am. Management recognized certain employees for something they did the day before
Great Team work
Administrative & Operations Assistant (Current Employee), EdmontonJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Challenges
Cons: there are none
Working at the Marriott has built my confidence in who I am and what I can accomplish.

My day has challenges never the same learning to love the accounting aspect and would like to learn more with all areas.

My co-workers are friends and are very special to me.
Wonderfully comfortable workplace
Maintenance (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: Discount Hotel Rates
Daily morning meetings with management. Extremely approachable people including management. Flexible work schedules and great work environment.
fun place to work
Sr. Maintenance (Former Employee), TMEC/ TMAJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: salary pay
Cons: long hours
Outside guest satisfaction as well as internal guest.different days different issues to tackle.team work ok.
Excellent place to work and learn.....great coworkers
HUMAN RESOURCE COORDINATOR -PAYROLL (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONOctober 20, 2013
Pros: core values of the company and sponsoring many charities/fundraisers
Cons: centre is closing.........my job no longer available to me
Very busy days with many deadlines for payroll and HR
I learned all kinds of payroll, HR and administrative duties and ongoing learning
Great coworkers......fun and friendly
Hardest part of the job is keeping up with some of the government legislation
Enjoy working with all coworkers and enjoy the fast pace with deadlines for payroll and the ongoing learning
Mediocre
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: cheap hotel stays, medical benefits
Cons: unscheduled / improper breaks
Work days range as a housekeeper at a hotel. This job is extremely physical, and while I do enjoy that aspect, the pay is ridiculous. An average work day for a housekeeper should be 16 rooms, 8 hour day. There have been several times where I have been expected - and produced- over 20 rooms in 9 hours. Sacrificing breaks and having no compensation for it to me, is ridiculous. I love what I do, but working at this Marriott has made me skeptical to others. The hardest part of my job would be having co workers who can barely speak our native language (English). Not only is it embarrassing for myself and others, but also irrelevant for a hotel when guests are depending on staff for recommendations on where to eat, activities to do, directions etc. The best part of my job is most definitely the guests. I love interacting and getting on a professional yet personal level with them- especially "regulars". These people are constantly on the go, and what I've experienced is the guests really do appreciate a familiar face away from home. That to me is gratifying in itself.
Unionized environment with excellent pay
SERVER (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: unionized environment with high pay
Cons: inconsistent hours results in inconsistent pay and demands schedule flexibility
A typical day at work involves provision of all food & beverage within the Ottawa Marriott for all banquet and meeting spaces. Servers are responsible for setup and take-down of all events where clients have requested any food or beverage.

I've learned that customer service is about anticipating clients needs and having a plan of action to have them perceive real value.

Management moves slowly implement positive changes, but is generally fair. It is a unionized environment, and they generally abide by the collective bargaining agreement.

Co workers are a group of 'professional' servers who have been able to obtain and keep a lucrative position in customer service by working at 2 or more hotels simultaneously.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with limited supplies and equipment. Frequently, staff must creatively manage insufficient equipment levels around an already tight timeline.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being generously compensated for your hard work and attentiveness.
Productive, Hardworking, Honest, Friendly Environment
Room Attendant (Current Employee), Jazan, Saudi ArabiaMay 31, 2014
Pros: free 3 meals
Cons: long hours
I enjoy to work in this company because a lot of people became my friends here, I learned how to be depend myself when it comes to job and deal in the right way to guest while working. Be friendly to everyone guest or coworkers. The management are supportive and fair to each individual.The most enjoyable part of the job is friendly environment.
Understanding the work/life Balance
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, BCApril 1, 2015
This was a fun and adventurous job with many opportunities to learn and advancement. Travel perks was a bonus. Plenty of recognition for a job well done
Beautiful resort in Muskoka
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Minett, ONOctober 23, 2014
In a short time, I learned the importance of teamwork and working independently. The Marriott emphasized teamwork and the idea of being an orchestra - this idea was proven under extremely busy days, as people from different departments aided others. I learned the importance of time management and of the satisfaction of guests. I had strong relationships with my co-workers; everyone helped each other in various ways. The hardest part of the job was the hours - we were understaffed and working over time every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing guests come from all over to vacation in such a remote, but quaint place... and to see their reactions of the stunning view of the lake.
Hospitality and healthy environment
Banquet Server / Evening Red Coat Concierge (Former Employee), Adelphi, MD 20783 USAMarch 5, 2013
Learnt the department, American culture and client needs. I work as liaison between clients and Senior Event manager if changes in room or table setup or in food service. Attend BEO meetings, Menu preparation and co-ordinate with service managers. In the beginning, I started like schedule preparing, arranging time allotments to the staffs, e-mail and invoices handling and liquor management.
Flexible, friendly work area
Front Desk Clerk, Night Auditor (Current Employee), Belleville, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours, friendly staff/working environment
Cons: permanent swing shift, little advancement
The most difficult part of this job is being able to not only manage the hotel, but to keep up with any concerns or questions from the guests. They will either call or come down to the front desk and you will have to respond in a timely manner. You can mention it may take some time, but it is essential to get back to them ASAP.

I learned a lot working at this hotel, as it gave me a greater understanding of high expectations to time management and resolving of concerns.

Day to day, you answer phones, make reservations, transfer calls, assist guests with their questions about the local area, assist guests if there is an issue to be resolved, work with fellow employees to ensure that the guests are taken care of, and always do it with a smile.

The Management is always on the ball if you keep them informed of any on-goings within the hotel. They will back up the Front Desk if they had to make a judgement call, and they are good about being professional when there is anything that needs to be spoken to about in private. The employees are friendly, kind and always willing to help out, and everyone is a team player.
NA
Revenue & Reservation Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 22, 2015
Working for this company gives you great opportunities. I have worked with them for a few years and I have been able to do three different roles.
The staff were fun
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2015
Cons: low salary
Fast pace environment with great staff and reasonable flexible hours however the work itself was pretty boring and the hourly wage was low.
Typical Shift
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 20, 2015
Each shift starts with a look at the arrivals, departures, meetings/events planned for the day. Then a look at emails that have been sent prior to your shift for any updates. The next tasks are to print the contingency report and to make sure that Elite Members have their rooms blocked as well as their requests fulfilled before they start arriving (around 4 pm). A call around is done for the occupancy and rate of other hotels in the area in case a guest needs a room and we are at maximum occupancy.
Management do preference
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJune 5, 2013
Pros: cafeteria is best service for associate
Cons: i enjoy my work in long hours with my fellow associate
managers treat not fairly with hourly associate
there is no opportunity to grow for certain kind of people
co-worker are very cooperative
management treat not equally every one
no appreciation for certain kind of people
human resources never listen hourly associate
Great the guest in hotel
A challenging and great opertunity
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee), enoch. edmontonJuly 22, 2014
Great hotel begin with great employees! With over 180 rooms its one of the best places to work for .
career challenging experience. if you are looking to boost your career to new height, join team today. compensation packages are among the best in the industry.
Headquarters