Marriott International, Inc.
3,022 reviews

Marriott International, Inc. Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I worked with the hotel controller
Accounting Department, Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), Amherst, NYJune 1, 2013
Pros: very professional atmosphere
Cons: this was a temporary position
Temporary position I worked with the hotel controller on various projects within the accounting department.
Good place to start out
Cook 3 (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONApril 28, 2013
If you are just starting out this is a good place to work.

The Co-workers were enjoyable to work with, and the management was decent.

A typical day for myself would be to come in for 5am and set up the line for breakfast and to create the daily Lunch special, as well to help out with the buffet and do deserts when required.
Good work experience
Management training (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 12, 2013
I am working as a banquet Captain usually a day start in reviewing the BEO of the week and start up putting our goals for the week
I did like working there. They moved the reservations that I was working in at the time moved to Fredriction
Laundry Worker (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 9, 2013
Pros: the hours
Cons: heavy work
I would anwser the phones and make reservations for people from all over the wold. For a 1 and a half I worked in the laundry . I did like that job as well . I got along with all of my co-workers as well. It was very heavy work. The best part of the job was working with my co-workers
Hard work/Gain Lots of Experience/Awful Pay
Night Auditor (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 6, 2013
Pros: night auditor gets their weekends off
Cons: low pay
Some days I really enjoy working here, and others I can't wait until something better comes along. I definitely don't get paid enough for all that I do here, but that's why it's a starter job.

At most hotels they've got certain people just taking reservations, and certain people just checking people in, others just blocking rooms and making keys and then there's your concierge and customer service. Where I work, one person does it all and sometimes it's way too much for one human being to handle This has been slowly affecting our sales, so much so that now we can't afford to have two people working Front Desk at once. Not to mention the many employees working back to back shifts because we can't afford to hire anymore people to cover shifts when someone calls in sick or there is an emergency. I feel as though the way too many managers that I've had in the two years I've been employed here, none of them seem to take pride in this particular hotel which is really unfortunate because it is a beautiful hotel and has a lot of potential.

The upside is the benefits are pretty good, but the horrible pay outweighs it. I love the deals you get with your Marriott discount but the last time I tried to take more than 2 days off, I didn't hear the end of it.
Fun to work, different things everyday
Banquet Server (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 26, 2013
Very busy, interactive work
Having Fun working with others
The hardest part is when you have to stay longer hours because people don't show up.
Team work and supportive atmosphere.
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: scope to grow.
Team work and supportive atmosphere. Marriott family.
'Take care of your associates and they will take care of your guests who in turn will keep coming back' - Mr. Marriott's philosophy.
Fast paced
House person (Former Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: meal cards
Cons: shifts were always weekends
Fast paced environment, bigger hotel with a lot of employees. Nice people, great cafeteria and locker area for belongings.
Vast array of company perks.
Chef De Partie (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: great perks worth thousands a yaer.
Cons: wish kitchen could have meals paid.
Very professional organization with great staff and solid managment, An organization that values its associates and is invested in our future.
Marriott - Toronto
Front Office Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: great discounts on all of their marriott hotels.
This was the first hotel I ever worked for and loved it. Very fast paced work environment. While with the company I was able to learn and get a complete understanding of the hospitality industry. The hardest thing about this position was trying to manage work/life balance.The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to meet people from all over the world.
Team work
Housekeeping (Current Employee), Calgary/DowntownFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: sometime's long hour
I clean the Washroom,make the bed, high dusting,dusting,mop the floor, vacuum and etc.

I learn a lot things about our daily's job.

The management : no problem they are fair.

About co-workers we are helping each other like a team work.

the hardest part of the job : so far nothing

For me the most enjoyable job is team work helping each other.and every morning we do exercise all the housekeeping department..
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Sales Representative (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: very good work culture environment
Cons: very challenging to get daytime hours of work, stuck on evening shifts
A good sense of accomplishment when booking hotels and helping our customers with their specific needs , and also Marriott has several incentives in place which reward this type of employee performance.
Travel the world through booking hotel reservations!
Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: visits from marriott properties, dinner parties
Cons: late hours
A typical day at work would be arriving half and hour before my shift to find a pod, set up my computer, phone and headset. I had learned a lot of valuable tools in training and as well as teach myself new things on going everyday. Will meet with a manager about my calls and review skills I can improve on, management is always first to tell you how great of a job you`re doing! Right along with them are, amazing co-workers at the Marriott, everyone is so wonderful. I would Say one of the hardest parts about working for the Marriott is the hours, I am more of a morning person and have been blessed with a 5:00 p.m - 1:30 a.m shift. That would change in time with shift bids granted, that is all based on seniority. There is by far way more enjoyable things working for the Marriott to pick from many I would say a top three for me would be the guests. I like dealing one on one with a guest planning and plotting out trips so they can create long life memories.
Awesome place to work...too bad there is a union
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), SudburyJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: flexible with hours. great management team
Cons: union
I worked with the company for almost 2 yrs and it was the best job I have ever had. I have always worked in hotels, and by far this was the best. If there was no union I would still be there. The management team is fantastic.
good place to work
Reservations Agent (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONDecember 12, 2012
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: late afternoon shifts
I enjoyed working here and would probably still be there if my department didn't close.
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee), OttawaDecember 5, 2012
Great team and fun place to work. Little turn over as people enjoy coming to work.
Productive Great place to work
Manager on Duty (Current) (Former Employee), Edmonton MarriottOctober 26, 2012
Pros: i am empowered to take care of my guest so that they happy
Cons: long hour
The most enjoyable part of my job is making my staff happy and taking care of all guest making sure that my staff and my hotel as a whole meets the guest expectations. Customers Service relation is my passion I enjoy helping other and putting a smile on every guest face making them happy. It there is a issue i certainly believe in first contact reslotion so i definetly take care of my client upon first contact.
i had fun working with my co-workers
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONOctober 18, 2012
Pros: had great free lunches..
loved the people i worked with just didnt want to do it as a life career.
it was an ok place t work
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONOctober 15, 2012
Pros: the were free lunches
Cons: they were good hours always 8 hour shifts..
it was an ok first job to work at the people were great work with there..
Made some life long friends when I worked there
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: worked with some great people
Cons: low pay
Learned fantastic customer service skills and enjoyed many great training sessions and social gatherings. I did not like the atmosphere and sitting in a chair for 8 hours.

December 3, 2012

Your comment is correct Marriott had a lot of gatherings, meals,and training on customer service. I can say when i was done at this call center in Sarnia it was terrible the training was all about pushing marriott credit cards on people that did not want them, making sure you did not sell other brands on calls which in a company as big as marriott makes no sense. Why try to sell 2 rooms with two beds in each when you have a family that wants a room for 5 and you have it next door at another marriott? O and i forgot to mention you can only request 2 rooms together so your kids might not be next door or near by. All this did was make people hang up on you and instead of calling the other marriott they called the competition. Great hotels, great staff at the locations but the call center is dismal marriott really needs to look at management and see what is going on in there its a shame that people booking 5 star hotels which require a credit card need to be bombarded with credit card offers. literally before i was done i had a trainer there tell me to "ask if anyone in the room wants a marriott credit card". This place turned into a joke that is only interested in making fast credit card application money instead of the OLD GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE BRINGS PEOPLE BACK.... mr marriott Sr would be rolling in his grave if he seen the way people are being treated.

About Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc., is a leading lodging and hospitality company that develops, operates, and franchises hotels, corporate – Read more

Marriott International, Inc. Photos