Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

great company
Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
friendly staff, great environment, management is good
no benefits .............
very interactive job
clean hotel
staff is friendly
job is fairly easy
Fun workplace
VIP and Club Manager (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC1 May 2017
Never the same day twice. Working in a hotel, you deal with all kinds of people passing through. Sheraton makes you feel welcomed and needed as an employee and takes great care of their own.
Great workplace, staff are friendly.
Porter (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2017
Being there for only a year, I've learned what goes down in the hospitality services, the staff were very accommodating and flexible hours according to what you can work (varies by department). Excellent management skills shown by managers.
Serving at the airport
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 April 2017
High Class Serving in a restaurant attached to a Lounge and Sports Bar. I learned alcohol knowledge and wine tastings so i can describe them to customers. Management was great. Workplace culture is great. Not a very hard job if your committed but can be busy at times.
benefits
Cons
evening and weekends
Sheraton
Banquet Porter (Current Employee) –  London, ON29 April 2017
Sheraton hotel is one of the leading hotel chains in the world, and I really enjoy the work culture and the overall experience at the Sheraton. I only work at Sheraton from June 2014-January 2015. I left Sheraton because the work is conflicted with my school schedules
Great work/life balance
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK27 April 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with Starwood - sad to see if come to an end as Marriott takes over and makes many changes. Starwood's management team was always supportive.
Fun
House Person (Former Employee) –  Blue Mountains, ON20 April 2017
It was alright had a good time didnt make enough money thought if the hourly wage was $7 more an hour then the job would be tolerable but since i couldnt
Fun and Educational
Platinum Concierge (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 April 2017
Very positive environment. Interesting opportunity to book holidays. Also business trips for travelers. I found it very interesting to learn not only about the Hotel Industry. Also to learn about different cities and what they're famous for.
First Job
Waiter/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 April 2017
I was working as a busboy and then became a waiter given my hard working ethic. I enjoyed my co-workers and was upset that a company closed this location.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
closed and relocated
Productive, great employer to work for
BANQUET SERVER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 April 2017
It is a really good workplace that values and appreciates its employees. The work can be tough physically and schedules change often based on guests demand, just like all hospitality businesses, but overall, the pay and benefits makes it all worth it.
Best Company I have ever worked for
Guest Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, MB29 March 2017
I worked for the Marriott in Melbourne in 2013 and by far the best hotel. Unfortunately I was only there for 3 months due to personal reasons but everything about the how they operate from the GM all the way down is like a huge family. They say no one leaves the Marriott and you wonder why. Would definitely work for them again hands down if given the opportunity.
Pros
Awesome Staff
Cons
Cant think of any
good job
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON28 March 2017
this housekeeping position is very tiring on the feet all day. You complete your room itinerary then go home.so there's no set hours when you finish work. especially since your on call.
Cons
long hours on feet
Nepotisium at its finest
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 March 2017
Promotions were given out based on who people were related to not based on effort and skill. Shift availability was poor and those with out children were not allowed to work the day shift.
Fast paced call centre
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON21 March 2017
Very fast paced call centre with very little down time if any between calls. Bonus incentives and team incentives. Very competitive. When targets are hit, able to advance to next department but can take a few months for that to happen after you have reached the goal
Terrible
customer service agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON15 March 2017
5 years and it was all terrible. Sales expectations are stressful , Ended up taking a leave of absence. You will be let go if you dont meet their crazy standards
It's alright, if you can sidestep the drama with coworkers and management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC9 March 2017
You could say this was a decent job to get started in the area, but the perks aren't nearly as good as some of the other companies around, and they care a lot more about money then they will about you. You'll do well if you're let into the clique, but otherwise you'll find yourself up against some unfair situations.

I wouldn't recommend this job but that's just based on some of my experiences, and I was offered a great position with the mountain afterwards.

Note: I was kicked out of staff accommodation without any notice or reason other than they hired new staff and I was being replaced. I was given 2 hours to pack up and move out of staff accommodation, if I didn't have good friends in the area it would have been a really tough time, I wouldn't trust this company. My advice is just look for a job on the mountain and know you'll have a great time!
Cons
No mountain pass - you have to pay for it, unpredictable hours, some staff and coworkers are difficult to get along with
Good place work evironment
Room Attendant/Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 March 2017
Typical day at work : Need to be consistent to clean room, fast and clean

What I learned : Fast environment, Customer Service skills

Management : Time management

Workplace culture : Multicultural workplace

The hardest part of the job to learn is when the guest check out is delayed and the room is waiting to be clean for the next arrival ( in which case i would move to the next room to be clean )

The most enjoyable part of the job : Coworker nice
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 March 2017
The Westin Ottawa was generally a good place to work. As a manager the expectation was to work long hours which is hard on family. Management is friendly but the is a lot of politics involved.
Pros
Very nice hotel
Cons
Steady calls with great coworkers and callers.
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON2 March 2017
When I would arrive for my shifts at Starwood, I would log into a computer at one of the desks, and begin taking calls, for the most part, from people who wanted to book, cancel or change a hotel reservation. Working at Starwood, gave me confidence in my vocational abilities. It helped me with compassion. It gave me the chance to help people, and it helped me build my abilities when it came to prioritizing, teamwork, and efficiency. The management were kind and fair. Other employees, were friendly, professional and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be when I might occasionally get a caller that just could not be nice, no matter how nice I tried to seem and sound to them. But, with these callers, keeping a professional tone, and helping them with what they wanted as efficiently as I could, seemed to help the calls end smoothly. The best part of the job was when I sensed a good rapport with the callers; where they seemed to quickly pick up on my sincere tone, and how much I would be able to help them.
Engaging and Ever Changing Work Atmosphere
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC2 March 2017
When going in to work at the Westin I was in for a different set of circumstances every day. I learned how to effectively communicate with guests, effectively troubleshoot, and work well both independently and as a team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.