Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive place to work
Housekeeper/Houseman (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 17, 2015
Very productive place to work, great experience, and excellent management, we kept al the guess happy all the time, job for all the year long and a very enthusiastic team work,
Pros
great experience to work
Cons
low salary
Worst experience ever
Marriott Event Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 23, 2013
I relocated from Calgary to Halifax for a supervisor position and at first it seemed like a dream job. Shortly after realizing that management were absolutely crazy, unreasonable, unorganized, and unprofessional I realized I made a terrible mistake. The stress level was unbelievable and totally unnecessary! Worst employer ever! Don't ever relocate for them for gods sake whatever you do trust me! The pay was good at first glance and the benefits were good but not worth it in the slightest.
Pros
wage and benefits seemed good
Cons
worst management ever!
very nice and inviting environment
Houseman (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJune 17, 2015
made sure the house keepers had fresh clean linen and supplies to clean the rooms

empited dirty linen from the housekeepers carts

cleared all garbage and recycling from the hallways

light cleaning duties in the lobbies and hallways, vacuming, dusting, etc.

my co-workers were very nice and the management
Pros
free lunches
Cons
very cold break room
Excellent place to work and learn.....great coworkers
HUMAN RESOURCE COORDINATOR -PAYROLL (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONOctober 20, 2013
Very busy days with many deadlines for payroll and HR
I learned all kinds of payroll, HR and administrative duties and ongoing learning
Great coworkers......fun and friendly
Hardest part of the job is keeping up with some of the government legislation
Enjoy working with all coworkers and enjoy the fast pace with deadlines for payroll and the ongoing learning
Pros
core values of the company and sponsoring many charities/fundraisers
Cons
centre is closing.........my job no longer available to me
fun work environment
Gatehouse attendent (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 2, 2015
Fun work place, easygoing managers. hopefully grow with the company. a work place where Im treated with respect. my coworkers and i were a family. I have learn a lot of my coworkers.
Productive, Hardworking, Honest, Friendly Environment
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Jazan, Saudi ArabiaMay 31, 2014
I enjoy to work in this company because a lot of people became my friends here, I learned how to be depend myself when it comes to job and deal in the right way to guest while working. Be friendly to everyone guest or coworkers. The management are supportive and fair to each individual.The most enjoyable part of the job is friendly environment.
Pros
free 3 meals
enjoyed working there
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 19, 2015
Learned about housekeeping supervisor duties, fun staff to work with and an renovated hotel. Located on the water, the largest hotel east of Montreal with 352 rooms
Fun and Interactive Workplace
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 24, 2015
- Check in guest, Answer phone calls, deal with inquiries and make reservations
- Interact with guests
- Report to management about any issues
- Multitask
- Pass on important messages to my co workers
Hospitality and healthy environment
Banquet Server / Evening Red Coat Concierge (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MD 20783 USAMarch 5, 2013
Learnt the department, American culture and client needs. I work as liaison between clients and Senior Event manager if changes in room or table setup or in food service. Attend BEO meetings, Menu preparation and co-ordinate with service managers. In the beginning, I started like schedule preparing, arranging time allotments to the staffs, e-mail and invoices handling and liquor management.
Unproductive, depressing workplace
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 6, 2015
The Marriott is definately not a pleasant work environment. Upper management is the worst I have ever had to deal with. They treat ALL employees like door mats. They talk about team work when in fact no team exists. The manager I have to deal with is a bully and abuses his authority. I love the job itself, but can't wait to find employment where management actually treats their staff with dignity and respect. The morale in this work place is so low it's almost non existant. Their answer to this problem was to hand out ice cream to staff instead of a face to face meeting where this issue as well as others could be addressed and hopefully resolved. Not only do they nickel and dime guests, they do the same to the staff. The turn over this past year has been phenomenal due to hiring an operations manager that is incompetant, unprofessional and highly immature.The hardest part of the job is going in everyday!!
Pros
well, we get pizza once a month
Cons
having to deal with buratic garbage everyday
Flexible, friendly work area
Front Desk Clerk, Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONFebruary 3, 2014
The most difficult part of this job is being able to not only manage the hotel, but to keep up with any concerns or questions from the guests. They will either call or come down to the front desk and you will have to respond in a timely manner. You can mention it may take some time, but it is essential to get back to them ASAP.

I learned a lot working at this hotel, as it gave me a greater understanding of high expectations to time management and resolving of concerns.

Day to day, you answer phones, make reservations, transfer calls, assist guests with their questions about the local area, assist guests if there is an issue to be resolved, work with fellow employees to ensure that the guests are taken care of, and always do it with a smile.

The Management is always on the ball if you keep them informed of any on-goings within the hotel. They will back up the Front Desk if they had to make a judgement call, and they are good about being professional when there is anything that needs to be spoken to about in private. The employees are friendly, kind and always willing to help out, and everyone is a team player.
Pros
flexible work hours, friendly staff/working environment
Cons
permanent swing shift, little advancement
Great People, Good and Reliable Organisation.
Good position (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 1, 2015
It will really be a great honour for me, if I could be given an opportunity to work with this reputable organisation and to prove myself with my abilities and add more success to the growth of the company.

Thank you.
Amarachi Joe
Am a good Nigerian from a good christian background. My facebook contact name is Amarachi Joe.
Management do preference
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 5, 2013
managers treat not fairly with hourly associate
there is no opportunity to grow for certain kind of people
co-worker are very cooperative
management treat not equally every one
no appreciation for certain kind of people
human resources never listen hourly associate
Great the guest in hotel
Pros
cafeteria is best service for associate
Cons
i enjoy my work in long hours with my fellow associate
Call Centre Environment with fun people to work with
Reservation Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONFebruary 25, 2015
I worked 8 hour days where I learned interpersonal skills through telephone sales. Management was very helpful and my co workers were a valuable asset to have beside me. Hardest part of the job was selling to people who were not interested in particular properties when others were sold out. My favourite part of the job was the commissions.
Pros
hotel room perks, free lunches, large lounge for work team
Cons
never changing environment
Ok work place
Housekeeping Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2015
Work is same as every other hotel, but the downside the employee are not direct employeed by Marriott, rather a management company, so not much benefit and average in wage.
Pros
always busy and keep people working
Cons
no over time pay, low or no benefit, average/ low wage
the people are great, but the management is negative.
Housekeeping Staff (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 27, 2015
The hours of housekeeping are good, never work after 6. The pay is minimum wage and the management is continuously testing to see if we are aware of certain practices. Also, if change in behaviour is needed the lines of communication are not effective. The best part is the other housekeepers and their humour. The worst part is the pay to expectation ratio.
Beautiful resort in Muskoka
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONOctober 23, 2014
In a short time, I learned the importance of teamwork and working independently. The Marriott emphasized teamwork and the idea of being an orchestra - this idea was proven under extremely busy days, as people from different departments aided others. I learned the importance of time management and of the satisfaction of guests. I had strong relationships with my co-workers; everyone helped each other in various ways. The hardest part of the job was the hours - we were understaffed and working over time every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing guests come from all over to vacation in such a remote, but quaint place... and to see their reactions of the stunning view of the lake.
Mediocre
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Work days range as a housekeeper at a hotel. This job is extremely physical, and while I do enjoy that aspect, the pay is ridiculous. An average work day for a housekeeper should be 16 rooms, 8 hour day. There have been several times where I have been expected - and produced- over 20 rooms in 9 hours. Sacrificing breaks and having no compensation for it to me, is ridiculous. I love what I do, but working at this Marriott has made me skeptical to others. The hardest part of my job would be having co workers who can barely speak our native language (English). Not only is it embarrassing for myself and others, but also irrelevant for a hotel when guests are depending on staff for recommendations on where to eat, activities to do, directions etc. The best part of my job is most definitely the guests. I love interacting and getting on a professional yet personal level with them- especially "regulars". These people are constantly on the go, and what I've experienced is the guests really do appreciate a familiar face away from home. That to me is gratifying in itself.
Pros
cheap hotel stays, medical benefits
Cons
unscheduled / improper breaks
fun place to work
Sr. Maintenance (Former Employee) –  TMEC/ TMAJanuary 18, 2015
Outside guest satisfaction as well as internal guest.different days different issues to tackle.team work ok.
Pros
salary pay
Cons
Unionized environment with excellent pay
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2015
A typical day at work involves provision of all food & beverage within the Ottawa Marriott for all banquet and meeting spaces. Servers are responsible for setup and take-down of all events where clients have requested any food or beverage.

I've learned that customer service is about anticipating clients needs and having a plan of action to have them perceive real value.

Management moves slowly implement positive changes, but is generally fair. It is a unionized environment, and they generally abide by the collective bargaining agreement.

Co workers are a group of 'professional' servers who have been able to obtain and keep a lucrative position in customer service by working at 2 or more hotels simultaneously.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with limited supplies and equipment. Frequently, staff must creatively manage insufficient equipment levels around an already tight timeline.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being generously compensated for your hard work and attentiveness.
Pros
unionized environment with high pay
Cons
inconsistent hours results in inconsistent pay and demands schedule flexibility

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location