Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Call Centre Environment with fun people to work with
Reservation Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONFebruary 25, 2015
I worked 8 hour days where I learned interpersonal skills through telephone sales. Management was very helpful and my co workers were a valuable asset to have beside me. Hardest part of the job was selling to people who were not interested in particular properties when others were sold out. My favourite part of the job was the commissions.
Pros
Hotel room perks, free lunches, large lounge for work team
Cons
Never changing environment
Great Team work
Administrative & Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 5, 2015
Working at the Marriott has built my confidence in who I am and what I can accomplish.

My day has challenges never the same learning to love the accounting aspect and would like to learn more with all areas.

My co-workers are friends and are very special to me.
Pros
Challenges
Cons
there are none
the people are great, but the management is negative.
Housekeeping Staff (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 27, 2015
The hours of housekeeping are good, never work after 6. The pay is minimum wage and the management is continuously testing to see if we are aware of certain practices. Also, if change in behaviour is needed the lines of communication are not effective. The best part is the other housekeepers and their humour. The worst part is the pay to expectation ratio.
Flexible, friendly work area
Front Desk Clerk, Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONFebruary 3, 2014
The most difficult part of this job is being able to not only manage the hotel, but to keep up with any concerns or questions from the guests. They will either call or come down to the front desk and you will have to respond in a timely manner. You can mention it may take some time, but it is essential to get back to them ASAP.

I learned a lot working at this hotel, as it gave me a greater understanding of high expectations to time management and resolving of concerns.

Day to day, you answer phones, make reservations, transfer calls, assist guests with their questions about the local area, assist guests if there is an issue to be resolved, work with fellow employees to ensure that the guests are taken care of, and always do it with a smile.

The Management is always on the ball if you keep them informed of any on-goings within the hotel. They will back up the Front Desk if they had to make a judgement call, and they are good about being professional when there is anything that needs to be spoken to about in private. The employees are friendly, kind and always willing to help out, and everyone is a team player.
Pros
flexible work hours, Friendly staff/working environment
Cons
permanent swing shift, little advancement
Great Managers
Housekeeper- Restaurant jobs (Former Employee) –  KingstonMarch 3, 2015
Was part of opening team and grew to different departments. Starting in housekeeping, moved to the restaurant side of the business.

What I like was having a meeting with all departments every morning about 10am. Management recognized certain employees for something they did the day before
Pros
Was able to use employer rate, Great managers
Cons
Not flexible with working around school schedule in fall
Typical Shift
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 20, 2015
Each shift starts with a look at the arrivals, departures, meetings/events planned for the day. Then a look at emails that have been sent prior to your shift for any updates. The next tasks are to print the contingency report and to make sure that Elite Members have their rooms blocked as well as their requests fulfilled before they start arriving (around 4 pm). A call around is done for the occupancy and rate of other hotels in the area in case a guest needs a room and we are at maximum occupancy.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 6, 2015
The job was fairly easy. For the most part the biggest benefit was the significant hotel discount provided as an employee of the company. I found that scheduling was fairly flexible. At the Sarnia location your only task was to make reservations so for the most part it was fairly easy and customers were content.
Pros
Signficant employee discount
Cons
Still a call centre
DON'T! DON'T work here!!
Former Marriott Slave (Former Employee) –  Halifax Residence InnJuly 7, 2014
If you want to do the job of 3 people, have absolutely no help from anyone and be constantly overwhelmed by trying to accomplish your tasks while management looks on without pitching in then this is the job for you. Poor wages for the work you do, absolutely insane management as they berate you for not being able to do the impossible and no guarantee of hours makes this one of the worst employers in Halifax. Look elsewhere. Even fast food would be better then this place.
Pros
NOTHING!!!
Cons
No help even though the managers office looks out to the dining area. Too much work for one person.
One of the best companies to work for
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton CentreMarch 4, 2015
The Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre is a delightful place to work. I am greeted by all of my fellow employees as soon as I walk in the door. The pay rate is very good and the work load is easily managable. My direct supervisor is a very well organized and compassionate person. The hardest part of my job is doing large set-ups by myself. the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all of my clients completely satisfied with the services we provide.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No full time postions available
Travel the world through booking hotel reservations!
Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 28, 2013
A typical day at work would be arriving half and hour before my shift to find a pod, set up my computer, phone and headset. I had learned a lot of valuable tools in training and as well as teach myself new things on going everyday. Will meet with a manager about my calls and review skills I can improve on, management is always first to tell you how great of a job you`re doing! Right along with them are, amazing co-workers at the Marriott, everyone is so wonderful. I would Say one of the hardest parts about working for the Marriott is the hours, I am more of a morning person and have been blessed with a 5:00 p.m - 1:30 a.m shift. That would change in time with shift bids granted, that is all based on seniority. There is by far way more enjoyable things working for the Marriott to pick from many I would say a top three for me would be the guests. I like dealing one on one with a guest planning and plotting out trips so they can create long life memories.
Pros
visits from marriott properties, dinner parties
Cons
late hours
fun place to work and always learned something new everyday!
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJune 9, 2014
Working there was by far the most rewarding, fun, loving, caring, professional place I have ever worked at. The employees, management, the boss, just EVERYONE were amazing to work around/for. And having the oppurtunity to talk to many different people all over the world, was an amazing experience for me.
Pros
Incentives, pineapple diamonds(customers wanted to speak to my supervisor to tell them how well I did), meet people from Marriott Hotels, have chances to win a free night stays at Marriott Hotels
Cons
There were none!
One of the best Employers in the world
FIRST COOK (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2014
-One of the best Employers in the world
-Freedom of Expression
-great co-workers
-amazing management, they do listen to us.
-work life balance is there
-progress is certain if the hard work is evident
Pros
you can be your self
Cons
NIce place for the family and extended stays guests
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 26, 2013
Five days of works with no permanent day off.
I learned to work hard and needs to have patience
Management is excellent.
Co-workers are kind and friendly.
Cleaning rooms with longstay clients.
I enjoyed doing the beds.
Excellent job
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2014
I started at the Marriott as a server and moved my way up to barrister
to food and beverage manger.

I learned the way hotels work from different position from a union employee to non union employee.

All the staff at the Marriott are amazing.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the growth inside the hotel. Dealing with guest and ensuring they get the service the are looking for but exceeding their expectations.

The hardest part of the job was leaving the job.Management and staff are great.
Pros
Excellent job
Marriott - Toronto
Front Office Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2013
This was the first hotel I ever worked for and loved it. Very fast paced work environment. While with the company I was able to learn and get a complete understanding of the hospitality industry. The hardest thing about this position was trying to manage work/life balance.The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to meet people from all over the world.
Pros
great discounts on all of their marriott hotels.
Room attendant
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 26, 2013
Part time-made beds,cleaned rooms
team work
management was good
co-workers were friendly
long hours of bending
meet all kinds of people
Pros
free food
Cons
Insufficent pay
Overall a good company
Reservation Telesales Agent (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, OntMay 26, 2014
overall it is a basic call center life, the management team is highly professional, and will do everything in their power to help you reach goals and advancements. i would definitely recommend them as an employer
It is nice working with marriott as there is a friendly atmosphere out here
F & B Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 4, 2013
Hard work pays whether it takes time.
Food and beverage is like we need to put all odd hours and dedications about event taking place in banquets. Alwasy has to be on our toes to make it successful.
Management is very helpful.
Co-workers are good to go with a polite and humble approach.
Nothing is hard when it is well planned.
When at the end of the event everything goes off well, there is nothing like the enjoyment.
Pros
All good
Cons
all good
Marriott International
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 17, 2013
Working at Marriott International at the Eaton Centre location is interesting to say the least. It's the flagship location in Toronto and the foot traffic can relate that the popularity of its location.

On any given day, I am setting up conference rooms with microphones, mixers, lighting, projectors, screens to name a few things. The setups can be as small as for a group of 4 people to as large as 500-600 people for a convention.

What makes this job rewarding is the hard work I put in setting up and testing all the technical aspects of the equipments being used to the end result. That result is watching the guest/client use the equipments, who most of the time are not technical, without any trouble due to my due diligence in setting up.
some good people
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 15, 2015
fast pace. how to work on heat pumps exc. work with a good group of people. unplugging clogged washrooms.learning new things
Pros
free BBQ
Cons
work every weekend

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location