Marriott International, Inc.
2,347 reviews

Marriott International, Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor morale, unreasonable and demanding management, low pay, and great benefits
Room Attendant (Former Employee), Courtyard Marriott, downtown EdmontonJune 30, 2013
Pros: good benefits, most colleges were easy to get along with, training offered
Cons: most managent were extremely ignorant, low pay, bad morale, horrible control- freaking by most senior staff
The work was routine and somewhat varied, with lots of guest contact. We had to stock up on all supplies for our carts in the laundry room on breaks, or before or after work ( if done before or after work, not paid for it, but the expectation was that it was to be done then so as not to lose time on cleaning rooms). We were expected to only take 30 – more... minutes to clean checkouts, not taking into account that some guests trashed many of them. We were expected to be available 7 days a week once we got a new head housekeeper, which was not what her predecessor and I had mutually agreed upon. Management would have "employee appreciation" lunches (excellent food from our hotel restaurant), at which our redneck manager would tell us at the beginning if we didn't like working working there, we could get up an leave right now - horribly inappropriate. We were also control-freaked about using the guest elevator over the service elevator even before or after work. Curiously, this rule was never enforced with any staff that wasn't labor, another "you're the slaves, we're the masters" class-conciousness. Most of us just ignored management in the interest of saving time. We had to have extremely good reasons for not being at the 5 times per week "training sessions" that we were paid to attend, which were a half an hour long discussions of something out of our employee rule book. Most of us felt that they interfered with us getting our rooms done in a timely fashion when we were really busy or understaffed, and after a year you pretty much have the rules down pat. I didn't mind these meetings when we had slower or more manageable days, the assistant manager who gave them was a real people person, and did these meetings really well. There was also a handful of employees that once we got card keys would go to floors that had checkouts before the person who had been assigned those rooms got to them so the tips could be stolen. My last few months working there, the manager told us that we needed to work more as a team. He didn't know just how much we were working as a team - to help each other find other jobs every day! I did get along well with most of my collegues and the majority of the office staff, despite the rest of the nonsense that went on. I will say something about their benefit package: once you work their for 3 or more you get very good prescription drug coverage, and from the get go the eyeglass coverage is fantastic. – less
Marriott International
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 17, 2013
Working at Marriott International at the Eaton Centre location is interesting to say the least. It's the flagship location in Toronto and the foot traffic can relate that the popularity of its location.

On any given day, I am setting up conference rooms with microphones, mixers, lighting, projectors, screens to name a few things. The setups can be – more... as small as for a group of 4 people to as large as 500-600 people for a convention.

What makes this job rewarding is the hard work I put in setting up and testing all the technical aspects of the equipments being used to the end result. That result is watching the guest/client use the equipments, who most of the time are not technical, without any trouble due to my due diligence in setting up. – less
Fantastic Opportunity
Food & Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 13, 2013
Pros: benefits package, location close to home
Cons: closed down and changed to private hotel, now re-opened as residence inn again.
My first position working in Canada was a great experience being as supervisor in a managerial capacity reporting directly to the General Manager.
Management do preference
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJune 5, 2013
Pros: cafeteria is best service for associate
Cons: i enjoy my work in long hours with my fellow associate
managers treat not fairly with hourly associate
there is no opportunity to grow for certain kind of people
co-worker are very cooperative
management treat not equally every one
no appreciation for certain kind of people
human resources never listen hourly associate
Great the guest in hotel
It is nice working with marriott as there is a friendly atmosphere out here
F & B Manager (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJune 4, 2013
Pros: all good
Cons: all good
Hard work pays whether it takes time.
Food and beverage is like we need to put all odd hours and dedications about event taking place in banquets. Alwasy has to be on our toes to make it successful.
Management is very helpful.
Co-workers are good to go with a polite and humble approach.
Nothing is hard when it is well planned.
When at the end of the – more... event everything goes off well, there is nothing like the enjoyment. – less
I worked with the hotel controller
Accounting Department, Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), Amherst, NYJune 1, 2013
Pros: very professional atmosphere
Cons: this was a temporary position
Temporary position I worked with the hotel controller on various projects within the accounting department.
Good place to start out
Cook 3 (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONApril 28, 2013
If you are just starting out this is a good place to work.

The Co-workers were enjoyable to work with, and the management was decent.

A typical day for myself would be to come in for 5am and set up the line for breakfast and to create the daily Lunch special, as well to help out with the buffet and do deserts when required.
Good work experience
Management training (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 12, 2013
I am working as a banquet Captain usually a day start in reviewing the BEO of the week and start up putting our goals for the week
I did like working there. They moved the reservations that I was working in at the time moved to Fredriction
Laundry Worker (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 9, 2013
Pros: the hours
Cons: heavy work
I would anwser the phones and make reservations for people from all over the wold. For a 1 and a half I worked in the laundry . I did like that job as well . I got along with all of my co-workers as well. It was very heavy work. The best part of the job was working with my co-workers
Hard work/Gain Lots of Experience/Awful Pay
Night Auditor (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 6, 2013
Pros: night auditor gets their weekends off
Cons: low pay
Some days I really enjoy working here, and others I can't wait until something better comes along. I definitely don't get paid enough for all that I do here, but that's why it's a starter job.

At most hotels they've got certain people just taking reservations, and certain people just checking people in, others just blocking rooms and making keys and – more... then there's your concierge and customer service. Where I work, one person does it all and sometimes it's way too much for one human being to handle This has been slowly affecting our sales, so much so that now we can't afford to have two people working Front Desk at once. Not to mention the many employees working back to back shifts because we can't afford to hire anymore people to cover shifts when someone calls in sick or there is an emergency. I feel as though the way too many managers that I've had in the two years I've been employed here, none of them seem to take pride in this particular hotel which is really unfortunate because it is a beautiful hotel and has a lot of potential.

The upside is the benefits are pretty good, but the horrible pay outweighs it. I love the deals you get with your Marriott discount but the last time I tried to take more than 2 days off, I didn't hear the end of it. – less
Fun to work, different things everyday
Banquet Server (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 26, 2013
Very busy, interactive work
Having Fun working with others
The hardest part is when you have to stay longer hours because people don't show up.
Team work and supportive atmosphere.
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: scope to grow.
Team work and supportive atmosphere. Marriott family.
'Take care of your associates and they will take care of your guests who in turn will keep coming back' - Mr. Marriott's philosophy.
Fast paced
House person (Former Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: meal cards
Cons: shifts were always weekends
Fast paced environment, bigger hotel with a lot of employees. Nice people, great cafeteria and locker area for belongings.
Vast array of company perks.
Chef De Partie (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: great perks worth thousands a yaer.
Cons: wish kitchen could have meals paid.
Very professional organization with great staff and solid managment, An organization that values its associates and is invested in our future.
Marriott - Toronto
Front Office Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: great discounts on all of their marriott hotels.
This was the first hotel I ever worked for and loved it. Very fast paced work environment. While with the company I was able to learn and get a complete understanding of the hospitality industry. The hardest thing about this position was trying to manage work/life balance.The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to meet people from all over the world.
Team work
Housekeeping (Current Employee), Calgary/DowntownFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: sometime's long hour
I clean the Washroom,make the bed, high dusting,dusting,mop the floor, vacuum and etc.

I learn a lot things about our daily's job.

The management : no problem they are fair.

About co-workers we are helping each other like a team work.

the hardest part of the job : so far nothing

For me the most enjoyable job is team work helping each other.and – more... every morning we do exercise all the housekeeping department.. – less
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Sales Representative (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: very good work culture environment
Cons: very challenging to get daytime hours of work, stuck on evening shifts
A good sense of accomplishment when booking hotels and helping our customers with their specific needs , and also Marriott has several incentives in place which reward this type of employee performance.
Travel the world through booking hotel reservations!
Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: visits from marriott properties, dinner parties
Cons: late hours
A typical day at work would be arriving half and hour before my shift to find a pod, set up my computer, phone and headset. I had learned a lot of valuable tools in training and as well as teach myself new things on going everyday. Will meet with a manager about my calls and review skills I can improve on, management is always first to tell you how – more... great of a job you`re doing! Right along with them are, amazing co-workers at the Marriott, everyone is so wonderful. I would Say one of the hardest parts about working for the Marriott is the hours, I am more of a morning person and have been blessed with a 5:00 p.m - 1:30 a.m shift. That would change in time with shift bids granted, that is all based on seniority. There is by far way more enjoyable things working for the Marriott to pick from many I would say a top three for me would be the guests. I like dealing one on one with a guest planning and plotting out trips so they can create long life memories. – less
Awesome place to work...too bad there is a union
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), SudburyJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: flexible with hours. great management team
Cons: union
I worked with the company for almost 2 yrs and it was the best job I have ever had. I have always worked in hotels, and by far this was the best. If there was no union I would still be there. The management team is fantastic.
good place to work
Reservations Agent (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONDecember 12, 2012
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: late afternoon shifts
I enjoyed working here and would probably still be there if my department didn't close.

About Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc., is a leading lodging and hospitality company that develops, operates, and franchises hotels, corporate – Read more

Marriott International, Inc. Photos