Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Typical hospitality environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 15, 2013
The Marriott group of companies has a fantastic culture and set of values. The property was absolutely beautiful and the staff were all wonderful people. Unfortunately, I found upper management to be lacking in professionalism. A leader is suppose to lead by example and I felt that the Marriott culture was fraudulent at this particular property. I have worked with/for much more respectable Managers.

The most difficult part of the job was working shifts and dealing front-line with the public for low pay. The same positions in surrounding towns/cities are paying at least $2.50/hr more. This trend isn't specific to this property though; I found most hotels and resorts in Kingston to be paying comparatively low wages.
I did enjoy working with such a wonderful and professional team of co-workers and I felt like part of a family for the time that I was there.
Pros
Beautiful property, abundant training, prestigious company, job security, transferability.
Cons
Unprofessional management, high turnover, low pay, shift work.
fun workplace
Valet Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2015
I believe it is a good learning experiences working in a group and It is a great opportunity to participate in a decision making.
Reservation Agent
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBAugust 28, 2013
I really liked working there I the discount for the rooms was great the health benefits were awesome it is too bad that they closed the call center here in Fredericton
great place to work!
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 3, 2015
Wonderful workplace with good managers that allow you to do your job well while growing in the company. I used to love going to work everyday knowing I will meet and help new people and get to welcome those returning to our hotel.
Great company to work with
GUEST SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 28, 2013
Hospitality industry does not sleep, odd hours, loved helping people having best vacation and work related stays
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
hours
Excellent introduction into hospitality
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 8, 2015
I enjoyed working for the Courtyard by Marriott, it was a very professional and consistent work environment. I would recommend this location to anyone interested in the industry.
Pros
learned skills rapidly, amazing training, understanding management
Cons
repetitive
Fun place to work at.
Supervisor Auto Park (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 7, 2013
Good benefits and good people to work with. The customers can sometimes be very rude. Do not take it personal.
It was a fun work place where everyone respected each other
HOTEL CONCIERGE (Current Employee) –  Niagara FallsFebruary 25, 2015
A typical day would consist of me checking people in and out of the hotel answering guests complaints and questions. I learned how to deal with angry guest while being curduious and making sure to always find a solution. My management group was good always gave time off when needed and always helped you with situations if needed. Co- works were extremly nice I still keep in contact with them over my school year. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part are the same, it was the interacting with the guest and dealing with complaints was the hardest part because sometimes it wasn't easy to keep the guest happy but the was the enjoyable was to find out what was wrong and fix it.

Cole Cheropita
Pros
Great work environment easy to come in too everyday
Cons
the slow times having to hand and wait for guest
Great place to work it is fun and you meet great people
Customer Service room attendnt (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls OnApril 10, 2012
I have learned quite alot from this place of employment, but they do not give you a chance for advancement,I worked there for six years and the only way you advance if someone quits or they get fired. Management is awsome co workers are great but the most enjoyable part of my job was attending to my guests needs. I enjoyed every person that came to my rooms and complimented me on such a great job I had done and I looked forward to go to work everyday just to see the smiles on thier faces. The hardest part of my job was leaving the Marriott for good, I loved it there but it was time to move on.
Good people bad management.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta CanadaJuly 4, 2015
Great environment to work in, Good co workers and great location.

Unreasonable management, Never listens to the needs of the job, or staff, Improper supply of parts and tools, Expected to pay for parts tools and paint out of your own pocket.
Pros
3 dollar staff menu in the restaurant
Cons
Unreasonable management
Great
Guest Services Agent/ Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 7, 2015
I love working for this company. I probably have the most amazing Management and I always feel appreciated and welcome by everyone. The hours are not bad, but it can take some getting used to if you're working night shifts as well.
Great People, Good and Reliable Organisation.
Good position (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 1, 2015
It will really be a great honour for me, if I could be given an opportunity to work with this reputable organisation and to prove myself with my abilities and add more success to the growth of the company.

Thank you.
Amarachi Joe
Am a good Nigerian from a good christian background. My facebook contact name is Amarachi Joe.
Great people
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 28, 2015
Such a great group of people to work with. It was a nice, clean environment and middle management are a great team.

The job was to take reservations for the Marriott family of Hotels worldwide.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with demanding customers. I want to help everyone get what they want but sometimes what they want wasn't always possible.
Pros
Fun
Cons
tedius
Poor morale, unreasonable and demanding management, low pay, and great benefits
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Courtyard Marriott, downtown EdmontonJune 30, 2013
The work was routine and somewhat varied, with lots of guest contact. We had to stock up on all supplies for our carts in the laundry room on breaks, or before or after work ( if done before or after work, not paid for it, but the expectation was that it was to be done then so as not to lose time on cleaning rooms). We were expected to only take 30 minutes to clean checkouts, not taking into account that some guests trashed many of them. We were expected to be available 7 days a week once we got a new head housekeeper, which was not what her predecessor and I had mutually agreed upon. Management would have "employee appreciation" lunches (excellent food from our hotel restaurant), at which our redneck manager would tell us at the beginning if we didn't like working working there, we could get up an leave right now - horribly inappropriate. We were also control-freaked about using the guest elevator over the service elevator even before or after work. Curiously, this rule was never enforced with any staff that wasn't labor, another "you're the slaves, we're the masters" class-conciousness. Most of us just ignored management in the interest of saving time. We had to have extremely good reasons for not being at the 5 times per week "training sessions" that we were paid to attend, which were a half an hour long discussions of something out of our employee rule book. Most of us felt that they interfered with us getting our rooms done in a timely fashion when we were really busy or understaffed, and after a year you pretty much have the rules down pat. I didn't mind these  more... meetings when we had slower or more manageable days, the assistant manager who gave them was a real people person, and did these meetings really well. There was also a handful of employees that once we got card keys would go to floors that had checkouts before the person who had been assigned those rooms got to them so the tips could be stolen. My last few months working there, the manager told us that we needed to work more as a team. He didn't know just how much we were working as a team - to help each other find other jobs every day! I did get along well with most of my collegues and the majority of the office staff, despite the rest of the nonsense that went on. I will say something about their benefit package: once you work their for 3 or more you get very good prescription drug coverage, and from the get go the eyeglass coverage is fantastic.  less
Pros
Good benefits, most colleges were easy to get along with, training offered
Cons
Most managent were extremely ignorant, low pay, bad morale, horrible control- freaking by most senior staff
Beautiful resort in Muskoka
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONOctober 23, 2014
In a short time, I learned the importance of teamwork and working independently. The Marriott emphasized teamwork and the idea of being an orchestra - this idea was proven under extremely busy days, as people from different departments aided others. I learned the importance of time management and of the satisfaction of guests. I had strong relationships with my co-workers; everyone helped each other in various ways. The hardest part of the job was the hours - we were understaffed and working over time every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing guests come from all over to vacation in such a remote, but quaint place... and to see their reactions of the stunning view of the lake.
Fun at work place and very cooperative & helpful staff.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 11, 2015
It was a very nice working environment. Work mates were helpful to each other. Personally I had an nice experience and got to learn different things and learn to deal with different problems.
Pros
Meal was provided during shift hours and unlimited beverages.
Call Centre Environment with fun people to work with
Reservation Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONFebruary 25, 2015
I worked 8 hour days where I learned interpersonal skills through telephone sales. Management was very helpful and my co workers were a valuable asset to have beside me. Hardest part of the job was selling to people who were not interested in particular properties when others were sold out. My favourite part of the job was the commissions.
Pros
Hotel room perks, free lunches, large lounge for work team
Cons
Never changing environment
Flexible, friendly work area
Front Desk Clerk, Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONFebruary 3, 2014
The most difficult part of this job is being able to not only manage the hotel, but to keep up with any concerns or questions from the guests. They will either call or come down to the front desk and you will have to respond in a timely manner. You can mention it may take some time, but it is essential to get back to them ASAP.

I learned a lot working at this hotel, as it gave me a greater understanding of high expectations to time management and resolving of concerns.

Day to day, you answer phones, make reservations, transfer calls, assist guests with their questions about the local area, assist guests if there is an issue to be resolved, work with fellow employees to ensure that the guests are taken care of, and always do it with a smile.

The Management is always on the ball if you keep them informed of any on-goings within the hotel. They will back up the Front Desk if they had to make a judgement call, and they are good about being professional when there is anything that needs to be spoken to about in private. The employees are friendly, kind and always willing to help out, and everyone is a team player.
Pros
flexible work hours, Friendly staff/working environment
Cons
permanent swing shift, little advancement
Call centre environment
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONAugust 22, 2015
At the Marriott I answered calls and answered questions about hotel facilities and went through prices and perks of hotels used for either business or pleasure. I enjoy working with the public and I enjoyed the co-workers.
Good Workplace but Seasonal Layoff
Guest Services/ Houseperson (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMay 10, 2015
Good workplace with free lunch but its a seasonal with layoff in winter. Management is good and helpful. Overall an OK experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Seasonal LAYOFF

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location