Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

the people are great, but the management is negative.
Housekeeping Staff (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON27 March 2015
The hours of housekeeping are good, never work after 6. The pay is minimum wage and the management is continuously testing to see if we are aware of certain practices. Also, if change in behaviour is needed the lines of communication are not effective. The best part is the other housekeepers and their humour. The worst part is the pay to expectation ratio.
One of the best companies to work for
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre4 March 2015
The Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre is a delightful place to work. I am greeted by all of my fellow employees as soon as I walk in the door. The pay rate is very good and the work load is easily managable. My direct supervisor is a very well organized and compassionate person. The hardest part of my job is doing large set-ups by myself. the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all of my clients completely satisfied with the services we provide.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No full time postions available
Call Centre Environment with fun people to work with
Reservation Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON25 February 2015
I worked 8 hour days where I learned interpersonal skills through telephone sales. Management was very helpful and my co workers were a valuable asset to have beside me. Hardest part of the job was selling to people who were not interested in particular properties when others were sold out. My favourite part of the job was the commissions.
Pros
Hotel room perks, free lunches, large lounge for work team
Cons
Never changing environment
Great Managers
Housekeeper- Restaurant jobs (Former Employee) –  Kingston3 March 2015
Was part of opening team and grew to different departments. Starting in housekeeping, moved to the restaurant side of the business.

What I like was having a meeting with all departments every morning about 10am. Management recognized certain employees for something they did the day before
Pros
Was able to use employer rate, Great managers
Cons
Not flexible with working around school schedule in fall
Great
Guest Services Agent/ Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 July 2015
I love working for this company. I probably have the most amazing Management and I always feel appreciated and welcome by everyone. The hours are not bad, but it can take some getting used to if you're working night shifts as well.
Beautiful resort in Muskoka
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Minett, ON23 October 2014
In a short time, I learned the importance of teamwork and working independently. The Marriott emphasized teamwork and the idea of being an orchestra - this idea was proven under extremely busy days, as people from different departments aided others. I learned the importance of time management and of the satisfaction of guests. I had strong relationships with my co-workers; everyone helped each other in various ways. The hardest part of the job was the hours - we were understaffed and working over time every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing guests come from all over to vacation in such a remote, but quaint place... and to see their reactions of the stunning view of the lake.
It was a fun work place where everyone respected each other
HOTEL CONCIERGE (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls25 February 2015
A typical day would consist of me checking people in and out of the hotel answering guests complaints and questions. I learned how to deal with angry guest while being curduious and making sure to always find a solution. My management group was good always gave time off when needed and always helped you with situations if needed. Co- works were extremly nice I still keep in contact with them over my school year. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part are the same, it was the interacting with the guest and dealing with complaints was the hardest part because sometimes it wasn't easy to keep the guest happy but the was the enjoyable was to find out what was wrong and fix it.

Cole Cheropita
Pros
Great work environment easy to come in too everyday
Cons
the slow times having to hand and wait for guest
DON'T! DON'T work here!!
Former Marriott Slave (Former Employee) –  Halifax Residence Inn7 July 2014
If you want to do the job of 3 people, have absolutely no help from anyone and be constantly overwhelmed by trying to accomplish your tasks while management looks on without pitching in then this is the job for you. Poor wages for the work you do, absolutely insane management as they berate you for not being able to do the impossible and no guarantee of hours makes this one of the worst employers in Halifax. Look elsewhere. Even fast food would be better then this place.
Pros
NOTHING!!!
Cons
No help even though the managers office looks out to the dining area. Too much work for one person.
Excellent job
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2014
I started at the Marriott as a server and moved my way up to barrister
to food and beverage manger.

I learned the way hotels work from different position from a union employee to non union employee.

All the staff at the Marriott are amazing.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the growth inside the hotel. Dealing with guest and ensuring they get the service the are looking for but exceeding their expectations.

The hardest part of the job was leaving the job.Management and staff are great.
Pros
Excellent job
Cons
fun place to work and always learned something new everyday!
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB9 June 2014
Working there was by far the most rewarding, fun, loving, caring, professional place I have ever worked at. The employees, management, the boss, just EVERYONE were amazing to work around/for. And having the oppurtunity to talk to many different people all over the world, was an amazing experience for me.
Pros
Incentives, pineapple diamonds(customers wanted to speak to my supervisor to tell them how well I did), meet people from Marriott Hotels, have chances to win a free night stays at Marriott Hotels
Cons
There were none!
Worst place to work Courtyard By Marriott Edmonton west.
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Edmonton WEST12 July 2014
Never safe at work, zero safe work practice , egoistic management ,arrogant owners, ZERO job safety. No appreciation. Foreign workers are made to work for free after 8 hours shift. No raises to any staff after few years of hard work. The worse place to work I have seen so far in my 20 years of Chef carrier
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Lots to say and proved by each staff who works here, cant fit in 2 million words
Costumer focused enviroment
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta23 February 2014
The typical day consists of tending to the guests many need and going above and beyond what would be typically expected. I've learned my different aspects of serving and how to handle and solve any situation. Management is more hands on, and will help out whenever needed. Co-workers typically have been there for many years and are vary familiar. The hardest part of the job is the constant demand of flexibility of scheduling, and being able to wrap a personal life around it. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the guest and getting to know them better.
Pros
Free food, good benifits
Cons
Demanding hours, Taking on extra responsibilities
I feel this company is a great place to work
Night Audit Lead (Former Employee) –  RiverCree Resort22 January 2014
I feel the Marriott is a very pleasant place to work. The leaders are very supportive and willing to help you when it is needed.
I enjoyed the co-workers and learn so much from other staff.
The hardest part of the job was working the night shift and adjusting to the hours.
The most enjoyable of the job was the guest and ensuring they had a pleasant stay with us and knowing they were going to return and stay with us more.
The staff and how well everyone got along and willing to help in difficult situations.
Pros
Transportation to work
Great place to work it is fun and you meet great people
Customer Service room attendnt (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls On10 April 2012
I have learned quite alot from this place of employment, but they do not give you a chance for advancement,I worked there for six years and the only way you advance if someone quits or they get fired. Management is awsome co workers are great but the most enjoyable part of my job was attending to my guests needs. I enjoyed every person that came to my rooms and complimented me on such a great job I had done and I looked forward to go to work everyday just to see the smiles on thier faces. The hardest part of my job was leaving the Marriott for good, I loved it there but it was time to move on.
Productive Great place to work
Manager on Duty (Current) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Marriott26 October 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job is making my staff happy and taking care of all guest making sure that my staff and my hotel as a whole meets the guest expectations. Customers Service relation is my passion I enjoy helping other and putting a smile on every guest face making them happy. It there is a issue i certainly believe in first contact reslotion so i definetly take care of my client upon first contact.
Pros
i am empowered to take care of my guest so that they happy
Cons
long hour
Worst experience ever
Marriott Event Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 July 2013
I relocated from Calgary to Halifax for a supervisor position and at first it seemed like a dream job. Shortly after realizing that management were absolutely crazy, unreasonable, unorganized, and unprofessional I realized I made a terrible mistake. The stress level was unbelievable and totally unnecessary! Worst employer ever! Don't ever relocate for them for gods sake whatever you do trust me! The pay was good at first glance and the benefits were good but not worth it in the slightest.
Pros
Wage and benefits seemed good
Cons
Worst management ever!
It is nice working with marriott as there is a friendly atmosphere out here
F & B Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 June 2013
Hard work pays whether it takes time.
Food and beverage is like we need to put all odd hours and dedications about event taking place in banquets. Alwasy has to be on our toes to make it successful.
Management is very helpful.
Co-workers are good to go with a polite and humble approach.
Nothing is hard when it is well planned.
When at the end of the event everything goes off well, there is nothing like the enjoyment.
Pros
All good
Cons
all good
great place to meet new people.
Hotel Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2013
A typical day for me usually begins with setting up the buffet line for our breakfast service followed by replinishing items such as plates, cutlery and food items when necessary. I would also clean tables too. My day usually ends by cleaning up the tables, removing the food items from the buffet line, preparing the food items for the next day. I learned how to organize my time wisely, the importance of team work and communicating with a variety of worldly guest. The most enjoyable part of my job is the time i spend talking and getting to know the guest.
Pros
building contacts with guest.
Cons
repetitive task
Great place to work, only seasonal
Night Maid (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON23 August 2012
Working at the courtyard was a great experience. I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with. Management was always around to listen and offer advice. My coworkers were a great group of people who I enjoyed to be around. The job consisted of room calls and cleaning of the hotel. Interacting with guests and helping them to their satisfaction always put a smile on my face.
Pros
free lunch/dinner, great work environment
Cons
seasonal
Great management team and staff
Guest Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON27 January 2014
I've been happy with my experience at the Courtyard by Marriott. Management in my department is very approachable and efficient. I learned a great deal about the hospitality industry through my time here. At times the job can be physically challenging; however, it is rewarding in the end. My co-workers are fantastic and the overall environment is very positive.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Physically demanding

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location