Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great company to work with
GUEST SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2013
Hospitality industry does not sleep, odd hours, loved helping people having best vacation and work related stays
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
hours
Engineering
Engineering department (maintenance) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 April 2016
This is my first job in Canada
I know how to work in Canada
I used my knowledge to solve some problems
I learned lots of skills form my co-workers
Excellent place to work
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2015
Demanding schedules requiring a lot of creativity and attention to details.
Gives you a great insight into people's way of thinking, their nature, their concerns and fears and creative ways to abate them and assist them to have a great event.
Time management is so critical as sometimes the customers are highly anxious about the success of their event and sometimes unreasonable and/or too demanding. Also learned how to deal without taking things personally.
Co workers are fabulous. The focus is on customer satisfaction. They set aside personal differences and politics and cooperate unconditionally to meet the company goals.
The hardest part of the job is to bite your tongue at unwarranted rudeness especially when you are going out of the way to please and make them comfortable. This is more so when customers try to take advantage of your hospitality.
The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction you get when you see the look on the customer's faces at the completion of event. It makes going all out of the way and the exhaustion all worthwhile.
Pros
Lots of personal satisfaction
Cons
Irregular and irregular hours and exhaustion
Fun place to work at.
Supervisor Auto Park (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 October 2013
Good benefits and good people to work with. The customers can sometimes be very rude. Do not take it personal.
excellent work environment can be improved.
Food&Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 March 2016
wonderful property.need improvement in skills and tech in day to day operations.more on fundamental details to improve work culture and atmosphere.
Great place to work it is fun and you meet great people
Customer Service room attendnt (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls On10 April 2012
I have learned quite alot from this place of employment, but they do not give you a chance for advancement,I worked there for six years and the only way you advance if someone quits or they get fired. Management is awsome co workers are great but the most enjoyable part of my job was attending to my guests needs. I enjoyed every person that came to my rooms and complimented me on such a great job I had done and I looked forward to go to work everyday just to see the smiles on thier faces. The hardest part of my job was leaving the Marriott for good, I loved it there but it was time to move on.
Great experience!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 November 2015
Hospitality Management Experiences
Plan and direct operations of all departments.
Evaluate changes and guest needs and insure fulfillment
Monitor and maintain financial performance
Responsible for overall guest satisfaction
Resolve guests problems
Conduct daily standup meetings with stuff especially during shift changes
Oversee employees to insure provision of quality service
It was a fun work place where everyone respected each other
HOTEL CONCIERGE (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls25 February 2015
A typical day would consist of me checking people in and out of the hotel answering guests complaints and questions. I learned how to deal with angry guest while being curduious and making sure to always find a solution. My management group was good always gave time off when needed and always helped you with situations if needed. Co- works were extremly nice I still keep in contact with them over my school year. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part are the same, it was the interacting with the guest and dealing with complaints was the hardest part because sometimes it wasn't easy to keep the guest happy but the was the enjoyable was to find out what was wrong and fix it.

Cole Cheropita
Pros
Great work environment easy to come in too everyday
Cons
the slow times having to hand and wait for guest
Poor morale, unreasonable and demanding management, low pay, and great benefits
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Courtyard Marriott, downtown Edmonton30 June 2013
The work was routine and somewhat varied, with lots of guest contact. We had to stock up on all supplies for our carts in the laundry room on breaks, or before or after work ( if done before or after work, not paid for it, but the expectation was that it was to be done then so as not to lose time on cleaning rooms). We were expected to only take 30 minutes to clean checkouts, not taking into account that some guests trashed many of them. We were expected to be available 7 days a week once we got a new head housekeeper, which was not what her predecessor and I had mutually agreed upon. Management would have "employee appreciation" lunches (excellent food from our hotel restaurant), at which our redneck manager would tell us at the beginning if we didn't like working working there, we could get up an leave right now - horribly inappropriate. We were also control-freaked about using the guest elevator over the service elevator even before or after work. Curiously, this rule was never enforced with any staff that wasn't labor, another "you're the slaves, we're the masters" class-conciousness. Most of us just ignored management in the interest of saving time. We had to have extremely good reasons for not being at the 5 times per week "training sessions" that we were paid to attend, which were a half an hour long discussions of something out of our employee rule book. Most of us felt that they interfered with us getting our rooms done in a timely fashion when we were really busy or understaffed, and after a year you pretty much have the rules down pat. I didn't mind these  more... meetings when we had slower or more manageable days, the assistant manager who gave them was a real people person, and did these meetings really well. There was also a handful of employees that once we got card keys would go to floors that had checkouts before the person who had been assigned those rooms got to them so the tips could be stolen. My last few months working there, the manager told us that we needed to work more as a team. He didn't know just how much we were working as a team - to help each other find other jobs every day! I did get along well with most of my collegues and the majority of the office staff, despite the rest of the nonsense that went on. I will say something about their benefit package: once you work their for 3 or more you get very good prescription drug coverage, and from the get go the eyeglass coverage is fantastic.  less
Pros
Good benefits, most colleges were easy to get along with, training offered
Cons
Most managent were extremely ignorant, low pay, bad morale, horrible control- freaking by most senior staff
regular maintenance
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2015
Marriott is a great company to work with. Has lots of room for advancement and very friendly and helpful colleges. The reason I left the company was the commute other wise I would have stayed there
Flexible, friendly work area
Front Desk Clerk, Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON3 February 2014
The most difficult part of this job is being able to not only manage the hotel, but to keep up with any concerns or questions from the guests. They will either call or come down to the front desk and you will have to respond in a timely manner. You can mention it may take some time, but it is essential to get back to them ASAP.

I learned a lot working at this hotel, as it gave me a greater understanding of high expectations to time management and resolving of concerns.

Day to day, you answer phones, make reservations, transfer calls, assist guests with their questions about the local area, assist guests if there is an issue to be resolved, work with fellow employees to ensure that the guests are taken care of, and always do it with a smile.

The Management is always on the ball if you keep them informed of any on-goings within the hotel. They will back up the Front Desk if they had to make a judgement call, and they are good about being professional when there is anything that needs to be spoken to about in private. The employees are friendly, kind and always willing to help out, and everyone is a team player.
Pros
flexible work hours, Friendly staff/working environment
Cons
permanent swing shift, little advancement
Beautiful resort in Muskoka
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Minett, ON23 October 2014
In a short time, I learned the importance of teamwork and working independently. The Marriott emphasized teamwork and the idea of being an orchestra - this idea was proven under extremely busy days, as people from different departments aided others. I learned the importance of time management and of the satisfaction of guests. I had strong relationships with my co-workers; everyone helped each other in various ways. The hardest part of the job was the hours - we were understaffed and working over time every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing guests come from all over to vacation in such a remote, but quaint place... and to see their reactions of the stunning view of the lake.
Travel the world through booking hotel reservations!
Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON28 January 2013
A typical day at work would be arriving half and hour before my shift to find a pod, set up my computer, phone and headset. I had learned a lot of valuable tools in training and as well as teach myself new things on going everyday. Will meet with a manager about my calls and review skills I can improve on, management is always first to tell you how great of a job you`re doing! Right along with them are, amazing co-workers at the Marriott, everyone is so wonderful. I would Say one of the hardest parts about working for the Marriott is the hours, I am more of a morning person and have been blessed with a 5:00 p.m - 1:30 a.m shift. That would change in time with shift bids granted, that is all based on seniority. There is by far way more enjoyable things working for the Marriott to pick from many I would say a top three for me would be the guests. I like dealing one on one with a guest planning and plotting out trips so they can create long life memories.
Pros
visits from marriott properties, dinner parties
Cons
late hours
over 25 years of experience in major culinary operations
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 December 2015
Managing kitchen brigade efficiently.Building a team by inspiring, training and motivating young chef with little experience. Keeping the kitchen operation efficient, profitable and interresting to work for.
DON'T! DON'T work here!!
Former Marriott Slave (Former Employee) –  Halifax Residence Inn7 July 2014
If you want to do the job of 3 people, have absolutely no help from anyone and be constantly overwhelmed by trying to accomplish your tasks while management looks on without pitching in then this is the job for you. Poor wages for the work you do, absolutely insane management as they berate you for not being able to do the impossible and no guarantee of hours makes this one of the worst employers in Halifax. Look elsewhere. Even fast food would be better then this place.
Pros
NOTHING!!!
Cons
No help even though the managers office looks out to the dining area. Too much work for one person.
NIce place for the family and extended stays guests
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 September 2013
Five days of works with no permanent day off.
I learned to work hard and needs to have patience
Management is excellent.
Co-workers are kind and friendly.
Cleaning rooms with longstay clients.
I enjoyed doing the beds.
fun place to work and always learned something new everyday!
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB9 June 2014
Working there was by far the most rewarding, fun, loving, caring, professional place I have ever worked at. The employees, management, the boss, just EVERYONE were amazing to work around/for. And having the oppurtunity to talk to many different people all over the world, was an amazing experience for me.
Pros
Incentives, pineapple diamonds(customers wanted to speak to my supervisor to tell them how well I did), meet people from Marriott Hotels, have chances to win a free night stays at Marriott Hotels
Cons
There were none!
Excellent introduction into hospitality
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 August 2015
I enjoyed working for the Courtyard by Marriott, it was a very professional and consistent work environment. I would recommend this location to anyone interested in the industry.
Pros
learned skills rapidly, amazing training, understanding management
Cons
repetitive
One of the best Employers in the world
FIRST COOK (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2014
-One of the best Employers in the world
-Freedom of Expression
-great co-workers
-amazing management, they do listen to us.
-work life balance is there
-progress is certain if the hard work is evident
Pros
you can be your self
Marriott - Toronto
Front Office Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2013
This was the first hotel I ever worked for and loved it. Very fast paced work environment. While with the company I was able to learn and get a complete understanding of the hospitality industry. The hardest thing about this position was trying to manage work/life balance.The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to meet people from all over the world.
Pros
great discounts on all of their marriott hotels.

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location