Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

What to expect
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB6 October 2017
At Fairfield, a few things you can expect are work, pleasant guests, and $1.00 all you can eat breakfast and free coffee throughout the day. There will always be hours if you want them. Moving on to the negatives; in the ten months I was there, I was never given a salary raise (even after asking after three and four months), nor was I given benefits after 6 months; they did not promote from within the company; your work schedule during the day fluctuated (you would be scheduled from 8-4 and some days wouldn't be gone until 6 or 7 (without warning)); you would be forced to work at a neighbouring hotel if an employee did not show up for work (which happened on a weekly basis, and this meant staying until 6 or 7, which is challenging if you have kids); management, in my experience, had good days and bad days. I only wish the bad days were sparse, as opposed to what they were. Most of the bad days involved staff getting pizza though so that was nice.
Pros
Inexpensive breakfast, free coffee, great co-workers, lots of hours.
Cons
Unexpected schedule changes (under 8 hours notice), no wage increase, no benefits, indifferent management
Great Place
Night Audit Supervisor/Switchboard operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2017
Good working environment, Overnight hrs, family oriented, great management, uniforms provided always. Enjoyable job, great HR team. Learning lots everyday.
Pros
Discounts on hotels
Cons
No incentives for good workers
great place to work
FRONT DESK ASSOCIATE & NIGHT AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK3 October 2017
management is knowledgeable and supportive.
well organised and attentive
I learnt almost everything due to opportunity and less supervison.
guest interaction is the best part.
Fun experience
Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 September 2017
Was fun to work here. Had lots of fun learning with the departments. Was involved in every aspect of the department because I push myself. If you don't it won't be for you.
Productive environment with a work - life unbalance
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON22 September 2017
Start at 8 or 9, You stay until everyone on your housekeeping shift is done, you could be done your rooms ar 4pm but a coworker isnt until 9pm, you stay until 9pm. trainers are hard on new people. and they dont get your information for pay right away all they ask for when you start is your first and last name,
Pros
pay check
Cons
long shifts ( 12 - 16 hrs a day ), trainers are rough on new people
Great management! Bad owners!
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 September 2017
Working here has been such a bad experience. Really low pay and the owners tend to get involved so much. You can work your butt off for them and they still can not appreciate it. Working team is great minus the housekeeping manager. So unprofessional! Not worth it to work for bad ownership!
Pros
Management and staff team
Cons
Bad owners and low pay
Decent workplace for a kick start.
Guest Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2017
Nice workplace with nice employees. Growth is very slow for an employee. All in all a good place to enter into the industry. My experience with the company has been good and i enjoyed my time with them.
Cons
no increments and low wages
Job advancement
Guest Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 September 2017
The GM disliked me, he made my work life a living bad. He hired his son to work, he was mostly a good worker, sometimes he would come hangover. He protected him.
Use to be great, not anymore!
Guest Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2017
Huge Brand to work with. Not the best when it comes to the management, think twice before deciding to work here. Most of them dont know what they really doing.
productive with recreation center for staff
Housekeeping duties (Former Employee) –  Doha-on11 September 2017
-open gym
-pool table
-basket ball/football court.
-Its an awesome place with friendly staff.
-working environment is in proximity to the city center
Pros
breakfast and lunch provided
Cons
Normal hours
fun
Porter (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 September 2017
I was a student working at Sheraton hotel, i was about 15 years old until 18, it was great experience and lots of fun with great team members. Times got tough over there but always felt comfortable and at home.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
night shifts
great palce to be great staff
Food and Beverage Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2017
enjoy the staff gusts and a great brand to be with. there are opportunity's with the Starwood brand for growth and movement, great learning experience.
Pros
love hospitality
Cons
moving forward
difficult work place
Catering Coordinator/Wedding Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 August 2017
difficult with management and unable for career advancement.
The workers don't get much credit for all the hard work they put into the hotel and get very little appreciation
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no appreciation
Marriott is a great place to start for young workers wanting to expand their skills in almost anything
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Canada,Edmonton11 August 2017
Marriott is a great place to start to work.They're a a countless amount of awesome employees willing to help you when needed,highly recommended as a stepping stone in young careers
Pros
Some good things about Marriott is you get befits such as discounts on startbucks, hotels in Marriott, etc in the food industry we often get free meals when on break or hungry
Cons
The hours aren't too bad however you sometimes get told to stay later than you schedule says
Very Customer Oriented.
Building Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
Taking care of guest needs and concerns in relation to HVAC, pool operations and room electronics, room readiness. Everyday was a look forward to going to work day.
Pros
Great team to work for.
Cons
none come to mind.
my manager was my best friend
JANITOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2017
it was amazing working with janitor hotels the most good things is the manager was my best friend he was always good man i was his closest though he was a good friend to all of us i cant forget that beautiful days easily
n/a
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2017
Solid management,great staff. Most work well together as a unit.Management regularly backs staff in in their decisions made by themselves when dealing with clients
Not your typical Hotel
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 August 2017
Everyday was pretty much the same routine, checking guests in and out of hotel, answering switchboard and forwarding calls, taking reservations, payments, daily cash reconciliations, correcting any errors in pricing and guest information. Hardest part of job was dealing with irate guests from previous shifts who did not have their needs taken care of and most enjoyable was having happy guests leaving at the end of their stay.
exciting new and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON3 August 2017
Starwood was a great place to work as well, my coworkers were very friendly and a lot of us became friends. Starwood always had some new and fun surprise for there staff be it in the form of contest or visitors
Great people, terrible job
SPG associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON1 August 2017
Lots of expectations from supervisors who haven't even done the job. They never had to reach the same requirements yet get advancement for knowing or being related to someone. Coworkers were the biggest pro about the work place. The actual job itself wasn't enjoyable, being told we had to pretend to be at the hotel so the guest would "believe" us then get yelled at by the guest because we lie. So many loopholes and not very structured. Worked here for a year and became severely depressed. Everyone I know that works here wants to quit.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers, free lunches(sometimes)
Cons
High expectations, back to back calls, blamed for not trying hard enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.