Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Team work
Gérante/Agente de réservation/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 23, 2016
This was the first time I worked in a unionized environment. The team work was fantastic, everybody got along, and most people even met up for a drink or coffee or a meal after work. I worked overnight as I was in school during the day. I learned everything there was to know about the Tourism industry having gone from Room Service, to front desk, to night auditor, to Concierge, to manager. It was very enriching and fast paced in terms of promotions if you really wanted it. I even won a Star of the City which is an award from the Maire of the City that is given at a conference to those who excel in Customer Service.
Pros
Free dinners, friendly atmosphere, ever changing clientele
Cons
Long hours, lots of responsibility for a student
Beautiful Grounds, and area but overworked
Server (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Days varied in terms of hours. I worked at all the outlets here as well as banquet serving. The outlets were fine and the hours were not too long, but when I worked banquets I would often work 14 hour shifts or longer. Such as 2pm to 4am and were not allowed to leave until everything was done. They would also schedule you to work until 12-2 in the morning then you would be scheduled the next morning at 7am. I think they were severely understaffed and if they had more staff this problem would not arise. The management was decent although there were so many of them, they would not even notice if someone didn't show up for a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to live in Muskoka and work in such a beautiful work environment. I think with better staffing and better management this job would have been amazing but it just wasn't.
Pros
Great place to live
Cons
Understaffed
Very busy
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 7, 2016
I have learned fosse which is not a friendly accounting software
Most enjoyable part of my job is bi-weekly payroll
Hardest part is to fransfer data from fosse to accounting system
Currently work here
Health Club Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 23, 2016
Briliant Hosting starts here.
Good Art Of Hosting
G.U.E.S.T Model
Appearance and Grooming
Provision of All the Health facilities.
Hygienic Food
Complete Security.
Proper Planning of Events
Conference halls equipped with security cameras
Poor staff selections, lack of sources to do right job, Unprofessional and less (NO) experience Management
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Long hours, with lots of expectations, expect everything needs to be done perfect without proper staff and equipment and sources.
Or its just me that i find it this way. But the worst place ever i have worked since last 10 years.
Pros
Advancement/ Grow within company
Cons
Long Hours / no breaks for supervisors
excellent customer service experience
Houseman/night cleaner (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Not a bad place to work lots to do to make time pass during a shift union has decent benefits management and co workers are a great team pay cold be better
over 25 years of experience in major culinary operations
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QCDecember 20, 2015
Managing kitchen brigade efficiently.Building a team by inspiring, training and motivating young chef with little experience. Keeping the kitchen operation efficient, profitable and interresting to work for.
fun workplace
Valet Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2015
I believe it is a good learning experiences working in a group and It is a great opportunity to participate in a decision making.
Great experience!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Hospitality Management Experiences
Plan and direct operations of all departments.
Evaluate changes and guest needs and insure fulfillment
Monitor and maintain financial performance
Responsible for overall guest satisfaction
Resolve guests problems
Conduct daily standup meetings with stuff especially during shift changes
Oversee employees to insure provision of quality service
positive environment fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONNovember 24, 2015
a very positive and therefore productive environment.The management and staff were very friendly and supportive.A typical day was 8-10 hrs long on computer and answering calls from customers looking to make reservations.
Pros
free lunches, bonuses
Cons
sometimes mentally draining long hours
Great Work Atmosphere
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Working with a great close knit team daily makes work enjoyable. Great pay structure, and benefits, and a clean, safe and positive work environment.
Pros
Pay Grade, Benefits, Hours
Cons
Varying Shifts, Unstable hours during low season
regular maintenance
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2015
Marriott is a great company to work with. Has lots of room for advancement and very friendly and helpful colleges. The reason I left the company was the commute other wise I would have stayed there
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2015
Loved it here, everyone is great including management. There is always room for promotion if you have the right work ethic.
Director of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 3, 2015
I have working for Marriott for over 19 years, I have had a great experience and would recommend anyone to join and experience working for the Company. Opportunities are great for individuals that love to travel and move around with the Company.

I have nothing but positive things to say regarding Marriott
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
great place to work!
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 3, 2015
Wonderful workplace with good managers that allow you to do your job well while growing in the company. I used to love going to work everyday knowing I will meet and help new people and get to welcome those returning to our hotel.
fun work environment
Gatehouse attendent (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 2, 2015
Fun work place, easygoing managers. hopefully grow with the company. a work place where Im treated with respect. my coworkers and i were a family. I have learn a lot of my coworkers.
fun and productive workplace
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fairfield Inn & Suites MarroittNovember 1, 2015
A day in this hotel is fun and productive at the same time. I learned that team work really help us all to achieve a certain goal. The management are all supportive and my co workers too. The hardest part of the job is during our peak season and it's really tough as the job is physical but we get to encounter different people with different views.
Fun and fast paced environment
House Keeper (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONOctober 24, 2015
It was good while it lasted. Didn't have a problem with the work. Very few breaks with long hours of work. Coworkers were absolutely great to work with. Managers were understanding of situations.
Pros
busy
enjoyed working there
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 19, 2015
Learned about housekeeping supervisor duties, fun staff to work with and an renovated hotel. Located on the water, the largest hotel east of Montreal with 352 rooms
bad experience
Manager assistant Co-op (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 11, 2015
I cannot explain it because i worked there for a couple of months, but personally i did not enjoy the time there.
I started there as a co-op, so i can say that much about it.
Pros
free food
Cons
long hours, not the same schedule.