Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Diverse Work Place
Hostess at the Kitchen Buffet Bistro (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2016
- Very knowledgeable and experienced co-workers
- Fast-paced but Fun working environment
- Internal recognition program that will motivate you to work harder
Food & Beverage Server at the Kitchen Rest (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 11, 2016
Good, friendly secure place to work. great befits, so many opportunity to learned and grow up. they treat you with respect.
Working for Marriott International, Inc. is great!
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  OntarioApril 10, 2016
There is always something knew you learn at the end of the day. Being able to work with people of different backgrounds is one of the best things a work place can offer and they do just that.
enjoyable enviroment
Valet Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 5, 2016
enjoyed working here very much, great clients and people.
Wished to stay there longer, yet they are shutting down the hotel.
Engineering
Engineering department (maintenance) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 20, 2016
This is my first job in Canada
I know how to work in Canada
I used my knowledge to solve some problems
I learned lots of skills form my co-workers
Typical hospitality environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 15, 2013
The Marriott group of companies has a fantastic culture and set of values. The property was absolutely beautiful and the staff were all wonderful people. Unfortunately, I found upper management to be lacking in professionalism. A leader is suppose to lead by example and I felt that the Marriott culture was fraudulent at this particular property. I have worked with/for much more respectable Managers.

The most difficult part of the job was working shifts and dealing front-line with the public for low pay. The same positions in surrounding towns/cities are paying at least $2.50/hr more. This trend isn't specific to this property though; I found most hotels and resorts in Kingston to be paying comparatively low wages.
I did enjoy working with such a wonderful and professional team of co-workers and I felt like part of a family for the time that I was there.
Pros
Beautiful property, abundant training, prestigious company, job security, transferability.
Cons
Unprofessional management, high turnover, low pay, shift work.
Great Work Atmosphere
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Working with a great close knit team daily makes work enjoyable. Great pay structure, and benefits, and a clean, safe and positive work environment.
Pros
Pay Grade, Benefits, Hours
Cons
Varying Shifts, Unstable hours during low season
regular maintenance
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2015
Marriott is a great company to work with. Has lots of room for advancement and very friendly and helpful colleges. The reason I left the company was the commute other wise I would have stayed there
Worst place to work Courtyard By Marriott Edmonton west.
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Edmonton WESTJuly 12, 2014
Never safe at work, zero safe work practice , egoistic management ,arrogant owners, ZERO job safety. No appreciation. Foreign workers are made to work for free after 8 hours shift. No raises to any staff after few years of hard work. The worse place to work I have seen so far in my 20 years of Chef carrier
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Lots to say and proved by each staff who works here, cant fit in 2 million words
Nightmare
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONAugust 5, 2013
Marriott preaches that they are not a call center, but they are. Typical call center life, low pay, high stress, high expectations and no adequate compensation. You can be in their top sales, and still the management will brow beat you because it is not enough.

Marriott management is just awful, the less work they do, the better they think they are. They do not look out for their employees, or the best interests of their employees, even when illegal activities are occurring. The prior management was incredible however the current management who took over flushed Marriott down the toilet as being a decent employer. To simplify, there used to be standards to even get an interview much less a job there, now they'll take anyone who can write a resume!
Pros
Hotel discounts
Cons
Long list, the travel savings arent worth it
Costumer focused enviroment
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaFebruary 23, 2014
The typical day consists of tending to the guests many need and going above and beyond what would be typically expected. I've learned my different aspects of serving and how to handle and solve any situation. Management is more hands on, and will help out whenever needed. Co-workers typically have been there for many years and are vary familiar. The hardest part of the job is the constant demand of flexibility of scheduling, and being able to wrap a personal life around it. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the guest and getting to know them better.
Pros
Free food, good benifits
Cons
Demanding hours, Taking on extra responsibilities
Great place to work it is fun and you meet great people
Customer Service room attendnt (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls OnApril 10, 2012
I have learned quite alot from this place of employment, but they do not give you a chance for advancement,I worked there for six years and the only way you advance if someone quits or they get fired. Management is awsome co workers are great but the most enjoyable part of my job was attending to my guests needs. I enjoyed every person that came to my rooms and complimented me on such a great job I had done and I looked forward to go to work everyday just to see the smiles on thier faces. The hardest part of my job was leaving the Marriott for good, I loved it there but it was time to move on.
Excellent introduction into hospitality
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 8, 2015
I enjoyed working for the Courtyard by Marriott, it was a very professional and consistent work environment. I would recommend this location to anyone interested in the industry.
Pros
learned skills rapidly, amazing training, understanding management
Cons
repetitive
Worst experience ever
Marriott Event Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 23, 2013
I relocated from Calgary to Halifax for a supervisor position and at first it seemed like a dream job. Shortly after realizing that management were absolutely crazy, unreasonable, unorganized, and unprofessional I realized I made a terrible mistake. The stress level was unbelievable and totally unnecessary! Worst employer ever! Don't ever relocate for them for gods sake whatever you do trust me! The pay was good at first glance and the benefits were good but not worth it in the slightest.
Pros
Wage and benefits seemed good
Cons
Worst management ever!
over 25 years of experience in major culinary operations
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QCDecember 20, 2015
Managing kitchen brigade efficiently.Building a team by inspiring, training and motivating young chef with little experience. Keeping the kitchen operation efficient, profitable and interresting to work for.
It was a fun work place where everyone respected each other
HOTEL CONCIERGE (Current Employee) –  Niagara FallsFebruary 25, 2015
A typical day would consist of me checking people in and out of the hotel answering guests complaints and questions. I learned how to deal with angry guest while being curduious and making sure to always find a solution. My management group was good always gave time off when needed and always helped you with situations if needed. Co- works were extremly nice I still keep in contact with them over my school year. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part are the same, it was the interacting with the guest and dealing with complaints was the hardest part because sometimes it wasn't easy to keep the guest happy but the was the enjoyable was to find out what was wrong and fix it.

Cole Cheropita
Pros
Great work environment easy to come in too everyday
Cons
the slow times having to hand and wait for guest
Flexible, friendly work area
Front Desk Clerk, Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONFebruary 3, 2014
The most difficult part of this job is being able to not only manage the hotel, but to keep up with any concerns or questions from the guests. They will either call or come down to the front desk and you will have to respond in a timely manner. You can mention it may take some time, but it is essential to get back to them ASAP.

I learned a lot working at this hotel, as it gave me a greater understanding of high expectations to time management and resolving of concerns.

Day to day, you answer phones, make reservations, transfer calls, assist guests with their questions about the local area, assist guests if there is an issue to be resolved, work with fellow employees to ensure that the guests are taken care of, and always do it with a smile.

The Management is always on the ball if you keep them informed of any on-goings within the hotel. They will back up the Front Desk if they had to make a judgement call, and they are good about being professional when there is anything that needs to be spoken to about in private. The employees are friendly, kind and always willing to help out, and everyone is a team player.
Pros
flexible work hours, Friendly staff/working environment
Cons
permanent swing shift, little advancement
Great people
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 28, 2015
Such a great group of people to work with. It was a nice, clean environment and middle management are a great team.

The job was to take reservations for the Marriott family of Hotels worldwide.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with demanding customers. I want to help everyone get what they want but sometimes what they want wasn't always possible.
Pros
Fun
Cons
tedius
Great
Guest Services Agent/ Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 7, 2015
I love working for this company. I probably have the most amazing Management and I always feel appreciated and welcome by everyone. The hours are not bad, but it can take some getting used to if you're working night shifts as well.
Good people bad management.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta CanadaJuly 4, 2015
Great environment to work in, Good co workers and great location.

Unreasonable management, Never listens to the needs of the job, or staff, Improper supply of parts and tools, Expected to pay for parts tools and paint out of your own pocket.
Pros
3 dollar staff menu in the restaurant
Cons
Unreasonable management

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location