Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Team work
Gérante/Agente de réservation/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 23, 2016
This was the first time I worked in a unionized environment. The team work was fantastic, everybody got along, and most people even met up for a drink or coffee or a meal after work. I worked overnight as I was in school during the day. I learned everything there was to know about the Tourism industry having gone from Room Service, to front desk, to night auditor, to Concierge, to manager. It was very enriching and fast paced in terms of promotions if you really wanted it. I even won a Star of the City which is an award from the Maire of the City that is given at a conference to those who excel in Customer Service.
Pros
Free dinners, friendly atmosphere, ever changing clientele
Cons
Long hours, lots of responsibility for a student
Poor staff selections, lack of sources to do right job, Unprofessional and less (NO) experience Management
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Long hours, with lots of expectations, expect everything needs to be done perfect without proper staff and equipment and sources.
Or its just me that i find it this way. But the worst place ever i have worked since last 10 years.
Pros
Advancement/ Grow within company
Cons
Long Hours / no breaks for supervisors
Beautiful Grounds, and area but overworked
Server (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Days varied in terms of hours. I worked at all the outlets here as well as banquet serving. The outlets were fine and the hours were not too long, but when I worked banquets I would often work 14 hour shifts or longer. Such as 2pm to 4am and were not allowed to leave until everything was done. They would also schedule you to work until 12-2 in the morning then you would be scheduled the next morning at 7am. I think they were severely understaffed and if they had more staff this problem would not arise. The management was decent although there were so many of them, they would not even notice if someone didn't show up for a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to live in Muskoka and work in such a beautiful work environment. I think with better staffing and better management this job would have been amazing but it just wasn't.
Pros
Great place to live
Cons
Understaffed
positive environment fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONNovember 24, 2015
a very positive and therefore productive environment.The management and staff were very friendly and supportive.A typical day was 8-10 hrs long on computer and answering calls from customers looking to make reservations.
Pros
free lunches, bonuses
Cons
sometimes mentally draining long hours
excellent customer service experience
Houseman/night cleaner (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Not a bad place to work lots to do to make time pass during a shift union has decent benefits management and co workers are a great team pay cold be better
Excellent place to work
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Demanding schedules requiring a lot of creativity and attention to details.
Gives you a great insight into people's way of thinking, their nature, their concerns and fears and creative ways to abate them and assist them to have a great event.
Time management is so critical as sometimes the customers are highly anxious about the success of their event and sometimes unreasonable and/or too demanding. Also learned how to deal without taking things personally.
Co workers are fabulous. The focus is on customer satisfaction. They set aside personal differences and politics and cooperate unconditionally to meet the company goals.
The hardest part of the job is to bite your tongue at unwarranted rudeness especially when you are going out of the way to please and make them comfortable. This is more so when customers try to take advantage of your hospitality.
The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction you get when you see the look on the customer's faces at the completion of event. It makes going all out of the way and the exhaustion all worthwhile.
Pros
Lots of personal satisfaction
Cons
Irregular and irregular hours and exhaustion
Customer service position in a hospitality environment.
Guest Services Agent / Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto Airport/ EtobicokeFebruary 25, 2016
This workplace is very productive, fast-paced and teaches its employees a lot of skills that can be used in any future position. Being in the hospitality industry is a great way to learn many skills such as customer service, problem solving, time management and customer care.
Highly energetic and ambitious team
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 4, 2016
I personally take everyday as a new opportunity which helps me bring out best out of me. I have a zest of being better and more productive everyday. And, that is what paid off in terms of "Employee of the Month ".
Pros
Flexibility
Productive and Fun workplace
Global Sales and Reservations (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMarch 4, 2016
Booking reservations
how to book a hotel room
Management is very helpful
co-workers are really nice
Having to listen to happy people all day booking vacations and watching people spend money like its going out of style.
A Beautiful Place to Work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Minett, ONJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work for me as a housekeeper involves arriving at work and having a discussion as a team in the housekeeping department about the days ahead and plans for preparation. Before I can actually begin my work I must stock and prepare my housekeeping cart and ensure it is in an appealing shape as I take it out into the halls to assist with room cleaning and preparation. There is a wide diversity of culture at the hotel with people from all around the world working there and I enjoy getting to know everyone. The hardest part about my job is attempting to clean my assigned amount of rooms by the end of the day before I have to leave. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting and learning about the cultures of others working in the hotel and also interacting with guests.
Pros
Complimentary Coffee Beverages Machine for Staff
Cons
Stressful and long hours
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2015
Loved it here, everyone is great including management. There is always room for promotion if you have the right work ethic.
Toront Airport Marriott Hotel
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2015
Good place to work (Loss Prevention Only). Friendly people. Good benefits, good work life balance. Lot of politics in upper management, but reasonable work place. Too bad the hotel removed Loss Prevention Department.
Very fun
Attendent (Former Employee) –  345 Jefferson RdSeptember 25, 2015
A typical work day for me was to arrive at 7:00 A.M. I was in charge of the front of the laundrymat. I would first check all washers and dryers to see if any clothes were left overnight. If so i would bag and tag it with the date on it and put it aside in case the owner came back. Then i would go and start my accounts that i had for that day and any fluff and folds from the night before. At 8:00 i would open the laundrymat for the customers. The rest of the day i would continue my accounts. The accounts came from alot of different clients. Wich conconsist of Doctor offices, Dentist, Hotels, Nursing homes, gyms, Resturants, and fluff and folds from customers. I would also be charge of cleanig the laundrymat and helping out the customers with change and other questions. I loved all of my co-workers there and still do they are like family there. The hardest part of my job was when i had to work two shifts in one day. The most enjoyable part of my job there was the atmosphere never a dull moment.
Pros
great pay
Cons
excellent work environment can be improved.
Food&Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 10, 2016
wonderful property.need improvement in skills and tech in day to day operations.more on fundamental details to improve work culture and atmosphere.
fun and productive workplace
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fairfield Inn & Suites MarroittNovember 1, 2015
A day in this hotel is fun and productive at the same time. I learned that team work really help us all to achieve a certain goal. The management are all supportive and my co workers too. The hardest part of the job is during our peak season and it's really tough as the job is physical but we get to encounter different people with different views.
Great experience!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Hospitality Management Experiences
Plan and direct operations of all departments.
Evaluate changes and guest needs and insure fulfillment
Monitor and maintain financial performance
Responsible for overall guest satisfaction
Resolve guests problems
Conduct daily standup meetings with stuff especially during shift changes
Oversee employees to insure provision of quality service
good place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 1, 2016
the co-workers are nice. The salary is good and as worker you have some benefits from Marriott Inc. It is a good place to work.
An okay place for a summer job.
Water front Associate/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONSeptember 15, 2015
I only worked there for a couple years. While I was there I worked a few different jobs including: tour guide, waterfront supervisor, concierge desk, and security. It was an okay job. The pay was okay, not the best but enough I suppose, the work environment was fine, co-workers were great, but if you had a question it was sometimes hard to get an answer. An overall okay experience. I did learn a lot while I was there which is important to me.
Pros
Provided lunch, comfortable atmosphere, great co-workers
Cons
long hours, low pay, having to stand behind a desk for long periods of time, ignorant and rude guests
Great Work Atmosphere
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Working with a great close knit team daily makes work enjoyable. Great pay structure, and benefits, and a clean, safe and positive work environment.
Pros
Pay Grade, Benefits, Hours
Cons
Varying Shifts, Unstable hours during low season
Good job
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 5, 2016
Dust, sweep, scrub, mop
Wax and polish floors and furniture
Move equipment and furniture
Set up boardrooms for meeting
Collect and dispose of waste and garbage
Remove soiled linens
Cleaned, sanitized and made beds
Vacuumed and washed carpets
Provided a sanitized environment for the safety and well being of patients, visitors, doctors and employees