Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Team work
Gérante/Agente de réservation/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 23, 2016
This was the first time I worked in a unionized environment. The team work was fantastic, everybody got along, and most people even met up for a drink or coffee or a meal after work. I worked overnight as I was in school during the day. I learned everything there was to know about the Tourism industry having gone from Room Service, to front desk, to night auditor, to Concierge, to manager. It was very enriching and fast paced in terms of promotions if you really wanted it. I even won a Star of the City which is an award from the Maire of the City that is given at a conference to those who excel in Customer Service.
Pros
Free dinners, friendly atmosphere, ever changing clientele
Cons
Long hours, lots of responsibility for a student
good place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 1, 2016
the co-workers are nice. The salary is good and as worker you have some benefits from Marriott Inc. It is a good place to work.
excellent customer service experience
Houseman/night cleaner (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Not a bad place to work lots to do to make time pass during a shift union has decent benefits management and co workers are a great team pay cold be better
Great Work Atmosphere
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Working with a great close knit team daily makes work enjoyable. Great pay structure, and benefits, and a clean, safe and positive work environment.
Pros
Pay Grade, Benefits, Hours
Cons
Varying Shifts, Unstable hours during low season
Poor staff selections, lack of sources to do right job, Unprofessional and less (NO) experience Management
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Long hours, with lots of expectations, expect everything needs to be done perfect without proper staff and equipment and sources.
Or its just me that i find it this way. But the worst place ever i have worked since last 10 years.
Pros
Advancement/ Grow within company
Cons
Long Hours / no breaks for supervisors
Beautiful Grounds, and area but overworked
Server (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Days varied in terms of hours. I worked at all the outlets here as well as banquet serving. The outlets were fine and the hours were not too long, but when I worked banquets I would often work 14 hour shifts or longer. Such as 2pm to 4am and were not allowed to leave until everything was done. They would also schedule you to work until 12-2 in the morning then you would be scheduled the next morning at 7am. I think they were severely understaffed and if they had more staff this problem would not arise. The management was decent although there were so many of them, they would not even notice if someone didn't show up for a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to live in Muskoka and work in such a beautiful work environment. I think with better staffing and better management this job would have been amazing but it just wasn't.
Pros
Great place to live
Cons
Understaffed
Fast phased environment and very pleasant co-workers
Front Desk/Night/Auditor/Porter (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 2, 2016
Marriott is a great and World Wide know chain to work for. They offer a lot of internal training for employees to grow and better themselves
and to always be up to date with the day to day function of the Industry.
The hours can be all over the place which limits employees to certain extends but for those willing to walk that extra mile they always give acknowledgement when the time comes.
They mostly Hire people part-time which can be hard aspecially when it comes to get another part-time position as schedules change on a weekly basis.
Great Hotel discounts if you like to travel!
They didn't listen to my wishes
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 23, 2016
I worked for this company only for two weeks, I told my manager that I couldn't work full-time until after July 1st. She agreed and told me thats perfect. She didn't listen and gave me 72 hours in less than two weeks. I am still a high school student so that wasn't possible for me to do. She also put me down as part-time but I was working full-time hours. Good people other than that, very understanding and my co-workers were amazing.
Pros
Free lunches, discounts on food, discounts on hotel rooms, tips from the guests
positive environment fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONNovember 24, 2015
a very positive and therefore productive environment.The management and staff were very friendly and supportive.A typical day was 8-10 hrs long on computer and answering calls from customers looking to make reservations.
Pros
free lunches, bonuses
Cons
sometimes mentally draining long hours
Highly energetic and ambitious team
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 4, 2016
I personally take everyday as a new opportunity which helps me bring out best out of me. I have a zest of being better and more productive everyday. And, that is what paid off in terms of "Employee of the Month ".
Pros
Flexibility
Toront Airport Marriott Hotel
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2015
Good place to work (Loss Prevention Only). Friendly people. Good benefits, good work life balance. Lot of politics in upper management, but reasonable work place. Too bad the hotel removed Loss Prevention Department.
Customer service position in a hospitality environment.
Guest Services Agent / Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto Airport/ EtobicokeFebruary 25, 2016
This workplace is very productive, fast-paced and teaches its employees a lot of skills that can be used in any future position. Being in the hospitality industry is a great way to learn many skills such as customer service, problem solving, time management and customer care.
Nice environment, professional and friendly
Head Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 21, 2016
The position at the Marriott offers everything a good hotel is able to offer. Great environment, professional crew, different shifts, valuable interaction with the guests, benefits, solid salary, discounts, access to hotel facilities, parking, staff appreciation lunches and activities.
Pros
Benefits, salary, day shifts.
Cons
Very early mornings.
Productive and Fun workplace
Global Sales and Reservations (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMarch 4, 2016
Booking reservations
how to book a hotel room
Management is very helpful
co-workers are really nice
Having to listen to happy people all day booking vacations and watching people spend money like its going out of style.
Very fun
Attendent (Former Employee) –  345 Jefferson RdSeptember 25, 2015
A typical work day for me was to arrive at 7:00 A.M. I was in charge of the front of the laundrymat. I would first check all washers and dryers to see if any clothes were left overnight. If so i would bag and tag it with the date on it and put it aside in case the owner came back. Then i would go and start my accounts that i had for that day and any fluff and folds from the night before. At 8:00 i would open the laundrymat for the customers. The rest of the day i would continue my accounts. The accounts came from alot of different clients. Wich conconsist of Doctor offices, Dentist, Hotels, Nursing homes, gyms, Resturants, and fluff and folds from customers. I would also be charge of cleanig the laundrymat and helping out the customers with change and other questions. I loved all of my co-workers there and still do they are like family there. The hardest part of my job was when i had to work two shifts in one day. The most enjoyable part of my job there was the atmosphere never a dull moment.
Pros
great pay
Good job
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 5, 2016
Dust, sweep, scrub, mop
Wax and polish floors and furniture
Move equipment and furniture
Set up boardrooms for meeting
Collect and dispose of waste and garbage
Remove soiled linens
Cleaned, sanitized and made beds
Vacuumed and washed carpets
Provided a sanitized environment for the safety and well being of patients, visitors, doctors and employees
A great workplace with lovely co-workers
Engineer 2&3 (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON 90 biscayne crescentApril 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be doing my daily checks around the hotel, preventive maintenance in a few rooms, a bit of chit-chat with co-workers they are easy to talk to. The job is not too hard, and the most enjoyable part are the co-workers.
Pros
Fun job, good hours, understanding management
A great place to work
Front Desk and Sales (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 20, 2016
I learnt a lot gaining my co-op experience at this hotel along side a really solid and competent team. There was definitely a whole lot that I took away from this place, including work ethics, time management, punctuality, along with the responsibilities a Front Desk Agent.
An okay place for a summer job.
Water front Associate/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Minett, ONSeptember 15, 2015
I only worked there for a couple years. While I was there I worked a few different jobs including: tour guide, waterfront supervisor, concierge desk, and security. It was an okay job. The pay was okay, not the best but enough I suppose, the work environment was fine, co-workers were great, but if you had a question it was sometimes hard to get an answer. An overall okay experience. I did learn a lot while I was there which is important to me.
Pros
Provided lunch, comfortable atmosphere, great co-workers
Cons
long hours, low pay, having to stand behind a desk for long periods of time, ignorant and rude guests
Physically demanding
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 12, 2016
Overall, the co-workers at the workplace are amazing and helpful. Management can do some improvments on organization of documents and work. The job is physically demanding and give you too many rooms to clean without enough time.
Pros
Free monthly lunches
Cons
disorganized