Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Well it wouldn't be bad...
Customer service, reservation sales (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 February 2017
If it weren't for the poor management who care only for numbers and not at all about their staff, this wouldn't be a half bad place to work.
As it is, it's a call center/service, so you have to put up with a LOT of garbage from customers. On top of that, bonus' are dangled in front of your face, but only seem to be given to those in the "in crowd" and aren't actually merit based rewards. You can have amazing sales numbers and not get an incentive or a raise, yet your co-worker who you know to have stats far below your own will get incentive's every month.
They say there's lots of room for advancement with in the company, but there is not, unless you're an American greencard holder. They say there's yearly raises, but they're so small it's not even worth trying for.
I will say this, if you're older, don't need a job to say pay your bills (as they do not pay a livable wage) and just want to take advantage of their employee discount program, this is a great job to take because the only upside to working at Marriott is the generous discount given to employees, that being said, even at their low employee rates, it is really hard to afford any sort of vacation as their pay is barely above minimum wage and is not at all a livable wage.
Pros
Generous discounts for hotels
Cons
Pretty much everything else, poor management, less than livable wage, high quota's
great benefits
sous chef/chef de partie (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
they offer great pay and great benefits. I poured my heart, soul, and most importantly time into my job. when it came time to move forward in my job I was held back, so I moved on elsewhere.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management care more about bonuses than their employees
Good place to start a career
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC21 August 2016
Everyone at the Marriott branch I worked at was extremely friendly and everything was well managed. The hardest part about the job is the long hours on your feet but as long as you pace yourself, its worth it. Great place to start a career in hospitality.
Pros
Free Lunch/Dinner, Pay for training (food safe, serving it right), flexible hours
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting, on feet all day
They didn't listen to my wishes
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 June 2016
I worked for this company only for two weeks, I told my manager that I couldn't work full-time until after July 1st. She agreed and told me thats perfect. She didn't listen and gave me 72 hours in less than two weeks. I am still a high school student so that wasn't possible for me to do. She also put me down as part-time but I was working full-time hours. Good people other than that, very understanding and my co-workers were amazing.
Pros
Free lunches, discounts on food, discounts on hotel rooms, tips from the guests
Meet new people/Hospitality lifestyle
Baquets (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 December 2016
- Highly experienced bartender and banquet server (Smart serve certified) - Responsible for leading & managing a small group of employees during functions, set-ups & take down of weddings, parties, office meetings, & other functions & events - Front of line communications with guests in a professional, knowledgable, & appropriate manner
Nice environment, professional and friendly
Head Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2016
The position at the Marriott offers everything a good hotel is able to offer. Great environment, professional crew, different shifts, valuable interaction with the guests, benefits, solid salary, discounts, access to hotel facilities, parking, staff appreciation lunches and activities.
Pros
Benefits, salary, day shifts.
Cons
Very early mornings.
Productive Work Evironment
Housekeeping Manager (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON28 June 2016
Unfortunately for the all the responsibility I have the $14 a hour I earn is just not enough it and no job advancement to make more money. Love the Owners and All my Staff but unfortunately I need better money to support my family.
Pros
I managed to create a Great Team
Cons
Not enough money and tons of responsability which i do not mind.
I like your company and work with you go more experices
Houseperson (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2016
I objective to obtain a full time position as a professional cleaning and Houseperson. and customer service skills. I like my jobs ,listen to the guest and company polices.
Great staff, fun environment
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 June 2016
Most enjoyable part is shaking new hands everyday and interacting with people daily face-to-face. Great staff - everyone gets along. Lots of perks, especially the discounted room rates worldwide. Management is great -- door is always open.
A great place to work
Front Desk and Sales (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 June 2016
I learnt a lot gaining my co-op experience at this hotel along side a really solid and competent team. There was definitely a whole lot that I took away from this place, including work ethics, time management, punctuality, along with the responsibilities a Front Desk Agent.
Fast phased environment and very pleasant co-workers
Front Desk/Night/Auditor/Porter (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2016
Marriott is a great and World Wide know chain to work for. They offer a lot of internal training for employees to grow and better themselves
and to always be up to date with the day to day function of the Industry.
The hours can be all over the place which limits employees to certain extends but for those willing to walk that extra mile they always give acknowledgement when the time comes.
They mostly Hire people part-time which can be hard aspecially when it comes to get another part-time position as schedules change on a weekly basis.
Great Hotel discounts if you like to travel!
Amazing co-workers and management
Part-Time Food and Beverage Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2016
Great place to work! Co-workers are amazing and management is incredible. The guests are wonderful to interact with and make the early mornings worth it.
Typical hospitality environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 September 2013
The Marriott group of companies has a fantastic culture and set of values. The property was absolutely beautiful and the staff were all wonderful people. Unfortunately, I found upper management to be lacking in professionalism. A leader is suppose to lead by example and I felt that the Marriott culture was fraudulent at this particular property. I have worked with/for much more respectable Managers.

The most difficult part of the job was working shifts and dealing front-line with the public for low pay. The same positions in surrounding towns/cities are paying at least $2.50/hr more. This trend isn't specific to this property though; I found most hotels and resorts in Kingston to be paying comparatively low wages.
I did enjoy working with such a wonderful and professional team of co-workers and I felt like part of a family for the time that I was there.
Pros
Beautiful property, abundant training, prestigious company, job security, transferability.
Cons
Unprofessional management, high turnover, low pay, shift work.
Great work place with lot's of potential
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 June 2016
Great working team with excellent Food and Beverage director. Poor management due to uneducated and very autocratic restaurant manager.
Pros
excellent organization
Cons
poor management
A great workplace with lovely co-workers
Engineer 2&3 (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON 90 biscayne crescent19 April 2016
A typical day at work would be doing my daily checks around the hotel, preventive maintenance in a few rooms, a bit of chit-chat with co-workers they are easy to talk to. The job is not too hard, and the most enjoyable part are the co-workers.
Pros
Fun job, good hours, understanding management
Excellent place to work
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2015
Demanding schedules requiring a lot of creativity and attention to details.
Gives you a great insight into people's way of thinking, their nature, their concerns and fears and creative ways to abate them and assist them to have a great event.
Time management is so critical as sometimes the customers are highly anxious about the success of their event and sometimes unreasonable and/or too demanding. Also learned how to deal without taking things personally.
Co workers are fabulous. The focus is on customer satisfaction. They set aside personal differences and politics and cooperate unconditionally to meet the company goals.
The hardest part of the job is to bite your tongue at unwarranted rudeness especially when you are going out of the way to please and make them comfortable. This is more so when customers try to take advantage of your hospitality.
The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction you get when you see the look on the customer's faces at the completion of event. It makes going all out of the way and the exhaustion all worthwhile.
Pros
Lots of personal satisfaction
Cons
Irregular and irregular hours and exhaustion
Physically demanding
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 April 2016
Overall, the co-workers at the workplace are amazing and helpful. Management can do some improvments on organization of documents and work. The job is physically demanding and give you too many rooms to clean without enough time.
Pros
Free monthly lunches
Cons
disorganized
Diverse Work Place
Hostess at the Kitchen Buffet Bistro (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2016
- Very knowledgeable and experienced co-workers
- Fast-paced but Fun working environment
- Internal recognition program that will motivate you to work harder
Worst place to work Courtyard By Marriott Edmonton west.
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Edmonton WEST12 July 2014
Never safe at work, zero safe work practice , egoistic management ,arrogant owners, ZERO job safety. No appreciation. Foreign workers are made to work for free after 8 hours shift. No raises to any staff after few years of hard work. The worse place to work I have seen so far in my 20 years of Chef carrier
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Lots to say and proved by each staff who works here, cant fit in 2 million words
Nightmare
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON5 August 2013
Marriott preaches that they are not a call center, but they are. Typical call center life, low pay, high stress, high expectations and no adequate compensation. You can be in their top sales, and still the management will brow beat you because it is not enough.

Marriott management is just awful, the less work they do, the better they think they are. They do not look out for their employees, or the best interests of their employees, even when illegal activities are occurring. The prior management was incredible however the current management who took over flushed Marriott down the toilet as being a decent employer. To simplify, there used to be standards to even get an interview much less a job there, now they'll take anyone who can write a resume!
Pros
Hotel discounts
Cons
Long list, the travel savings arent worth it

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location