Marriott International, Inc.

4K reviews

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor morale, unreasonable and demanding management, low pay, and great benefits
Room Attendant (Former Employee), Courtyard Marriott, downtown EdmontonJune 30, 2013
Pros: good benefits, most colleges were easy to get along with, training offered
Cons: most managent were extremely ignorant, low pay, bad morale, horrible control- freaking by most senior staff
The work was routine and somewhat varied, with lots of guest contact. We had to stock up on all supplies for our carts in the laundry room on breaks, or before or after work ( if done before or after work, not paid for it, but the expectation was that it was to be done then so as not to lose time on cleaning rooms). We were expected to only take 30 minutes to clean checkouts, not taking into account that some guests trashed many of them. We were expected to be available 7 days a week once we got a new head housekeeper, which was not what her predecessor and I had mutually agreed upon. Management would have "employee appreciation" lunches (excellent food from our hotel restaurant), at which our redneck manager would tell us at the beginning if we didn't like working working there, we could get up an leave right now - horribly inappropriate. We were also control-freaked about using the guest elevator over the service elevator even before or after work. Curiously, this rule was never enforced with any staff that wasn't labor, another "you're the slaves, we're the masters" class-conciousness. Most of us just ignored management in the interest of saving time. We had to have extremely good reasons for not being at the 5 times per week "training sessions" that we were paid to attend, which were a half an hour long discussions of something out of our employee rule book. Most of us felt that they interfered with us getting our rooms done in a timely fashion when we were really busy or understaffed, and after a year you pretty much have the rules down pat. I didn't mind these meetings – more... when we had slower or more manageable days, the assistant manager who gave them was a real people person, and did these meetings really well. There was also a handful of employees that once we got card keys would go to floors that had checkouts before the person who had been assigned those rooms got to them so the tips could be stolen. My last few months working there, the manager told us that we needed to work more as a team. He didn't know just how much we were working as a team - to help each other find other jobs every day! I did get along well with most of my collegues and the majority of the office staff, despite the rest of the nonsense that went on. I will say something about their benefit package: once you work their for 3 or more you get very good prescription drug coverage, and from the get go the eyeglass coverage is fantastic. – less
Hard work/Gain Lots of Experience/Awful Pay
Night Auditor (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 6, 2013
Pros: night auditor gets their weekends off
Cons: low pay
Some days I really enjoy working here, and others I can't wait until something better comes along. I definitely don't get paid enough for all that I do here, but that's why it's a starter job.

At most hotels they've got certain people just taking reservations, and certain people just checking people in, others just blocking rooms and making keys and then there's your concierge and customer service. Where I work, one person does it all and sometimes it's way too much for one human being to handle This has been slowly affecting our sales, so much so that now we can't afford to have two people working Front Desk at once. Not to mention the many employees working back to back shifts because we can't afford to hire anymore people to cover shifts when someone calls in sick or there is an emergency. I feel as though the way too many managers that I've had in the two years I've been employed here, none of them seem to take pride in this particular hotel which is really unfortunate because it is a beautiful hotel and has a lot of potential.

The upside is the benefits are pretty good, but the horrible pay outweighs it. I love the deals you get with your Marriott discount but the last time I tried to take more than 2 days off, I didn't hear the end of it.
Flexible, friendly work area
Front Desk Clerk, Night Auditor (Current Employee), Belleville, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours, friendly staff/working environment
Cons: permanent swing shift, little advancement
The most difficult part of this job is being able to not only manage the hotel, but to keep up with any concerns or questions from the guests. They will either call or come down to the front desk and you will have to respond in a timely manner. You can mention it may take some time, but it is essential to get back to them ASAP.

I learned a lot working at this hotel, as it gave me a greater understanding of high expectations to time management and resolving of concerns.

Day to day, you answer phones, make reservations, transfer calls, assist guests with their questions about the local area, assist guests if there is an issue to be resolved, work with fellow employees to ensure that the guests are taken care of, and always do it with a smile.

The Management is always on the ball if you keep them informed of any on-goings within the hotel. They will back up the Front Desk if they had to make a judgement call, and they are good about being professional when there is anything that needs to be spoken to about in private. The employees are friendly, kind and always willing to help out, and everyone is a team player.
Excellent place to work
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Pros: Lots of personal satisfaction
Cons: Irregular and irregular hours and exhaustion
Demanding schedules requiring a lot of creativity and attention to details.
Gives you a great insight into people's way of thinking, their nature, their concerns and fears and creative ways to abate them and assist them to have a great event.
Time management is so critical as sometimes the customers are highly anxious about the success of their event and sometimes unreasonable and/or too demanding. Also learned how to deal without taking things personally.
Co workers are fabulous. The focus is on customer satisfaction. They set aside personal differences and politics and cooperate unconditionally to meet the company goals.
The hardest part of the job is to bite your tongue at unwarranted rudeness especially when you are going out of the way to please and make them comfortable. This is more so when customers try to take advantage of your hospitality.
The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction you get when you see the look on the customer's faces at the completion of event. It makes going all out of the way and the exhaustion all worthwhile.
Typical hospitality environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: beautiful property, abundant training, prestigious company, job security, transferability.
Cons: unprofessional management, high turnover, low pay, shift work.
The Marriott group of companies has a fantastic culture and set of values. The property was absolutely beautiful and the staff were all wonderful people. Unfortunately, I found upper management to be lacking in professionalism. A leader is suppose to lead by example and I felt that the Marriott culture was fraudulent at this particular property. I have worked with/for much more respectable Managers.

The most difficult part of the job was working shifts and dealing front-line with the public for low pay. The same positions in surrounding towns/cities are paying at least $2.50/hr more. This trend isn't specific to this property though; I found most hotels and resorts in Kingston to be paying comparatively low wages.
I did enjoy working with such a wonderful and professional team of co-workers and I felt like part of a family for the time that I was there.
Travel the world through booking hotel reservations!
Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: visits from marriott properties, dinner parties
Cons: late hours
A typical day at work would be arriving half and hour before my shift to find a pod, set up my computer, phone and headset. I had learned a lot of valuable tools in training and as well as teach myself new things on going everyday. Will meet with a manager about my calls and review skills I can improve on, management is always first to tell you how great of a job you`re doing! Right along with them are, amazing co-workers at the Marriott, everyone is so wonderful. I would Say one of the hardest parts about working for the Marriott is the hours, I am more of a morning person and have been blessed with a 5:00 p.m - 1:30 a.m shift. That would change in time with shift bids granted, that is all based on seniority. There is by far way more enjoyable things working for the Marriott to pick from many I would say a top three for me would be the guests. I like dealing one on one with a guest planning and plotting out trips so they can create long life memories.
Productive and Enjoyable Environment
Night Auditor (Current Employee), Lakeland, FLFebruary 16, 2014
I work three distinct jobs within Marriott: front desk, night audit, and maintenance. For the most part, these jobs include a large emphasis on guest relations and being "the face of the company." Throughout my experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott, I have learned a lot about how the computer systems for Marriott properties operate, how the financial information is updated into the company's database, valuable lessons from guest service interactions, and the importance of communication in the workplace. I have also trained others employees in how to work the front desk and night audit positions.

The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job- the customer interactions. We receive a lot of business travelers, who are often overworked, stressed out, and cannot catch a break. Sometimes it is difficult to assist an unhappy guest, but at the same time it is a blessing to be able to fix the situation and maybe be the one bright spot that our guest had all day.
Very fun
Attendent (Former Employee), 345 Jefferson RdSeptember 25, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: long hours
A typical work day for me was to arrive at 7:00 A.M. I was in charge of the front of the laundrymat. I would first check all washers and dryers to see if any clothes were left overnight. If so i would bag and tag it with the date on it and put it aside in case the owner came back. Then i would go and start my accounts that i had for that day and any fluff and folds from the night before. At 8:00 i would open the laundrymat for the customers. The rest of the day i would continue my accounts. The accounts came from alot of different clients. Wich conconsist of Doctor offices, Dentist, Hotels, Nursing homes, gyms, Resturants, and fluff and folds from customers. I would also be charge of cleanig the laundrymat and helping out the customers with change and other questions. I loved all of my co-workers there and still do they are like family there. The hardest part of my job was when i had to work two shifts in one day. The most enjoyable part of my job there was the atmosphere never a dull moment.
It was a fun work place where everyone respected each other
HOTEL CONCIERGE (Current Employee), Niagara FallsFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great work environment easy to come in too everyday
Cons: the slow times having to hand and wait for guest
A typical day would consist of me checking people in and out of the hotel answering guests complaints and questions. I learned how to deal with angry guest while being curduious and making sure to always find a solution. My management group was good always gave time off when needed and always helped you with situations if needed. Co- works were extremly nice I still keep in contact with them over my school year. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part are the same, it was the interacting with the guest and dealing with complaints was the hardest part because sometimes it wasn't easy to keep the guest happy but the was the enjoyable was to find out what was wrong and fix it.

Cole Cheropita
Nightmare
Customer service (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONAugust 5, 2013
Pros: hotel discounts
Cons: long list, the travel savings arent worth it
Marriott preaches that they are not a call center, but they are. Typical call center life, low pay, high stress, high expectations and no adequate compensation. You can be in their top sales, and still the management will brow beat you because it is not enough.

Marriott management is just awful, the less work they do, the better they think they are. They do not look out for their employees, or the best interests of their employees, even when illegal activities are occurring. The prior management was incredible however the current management who took over flushed Marriott down the toilet as being a decent employer. To simplify, there used to be standards to even get an interview much less a job there, now they'll take anyone who can write a resume!
Marriott International
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 17, 2013
Working at Marriott International at the Eaton Centre location is interesting to say the least. It's the flagship location in Toronto and the foot traffic can relate that the popularity of its location.

On any given day, I am setting up conference rooms with microphones, mixers, lighting, projectors, screens to name a few things. The setups can be as small as for a group of 4 people to as large as 500-600 people for a convention.

What makes this job rewarding is the hard work I put in setting up and testing all the technical aspects of the equipments being used to the end result. That result is watching the guest/client use the equipments, who most of the time are not technical, without any trouble due to my due diligence in setting up.
Beautiful resort in Muskoka
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Minett, ONOctober 23, 2014
In a short time, I learned the importance of teamwork and working independently. The Marriott emphasized teamwork and the idea of being an orchestra - this idea was proven under extremely busy days, as people from different departments aided others. I learned the importance of time management and of the satisfaction of guests. I had strong relationships with my co-workers; everyone helped each other in various ways. The hardest part of the job was the hours - we were understaffed and working over time every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing guests come from all over to vacation in such a remote, but quaint place... and to see their reactions of the stunning view of the lake.
Costumer focused enviroment
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: free food, good benifits
Cons: demanding hours, taking on extra responsibilities
The typical day consists of tending to the guests many need and going above and beyond what would be typically expected. I've learned my different aspects of serving and how to handle and solve any situation. Management is more hands on, and will help out whenever needed. Co-workers typically have been there for many years and are vary familiar. The hardest part of the job is the constant demand of flexibility of scheduling, and being able to wrap a personal life around it. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the guest and getting to know them better.
Great place to work it is fun and you meet great people
Customer Service room attendnt (Former Employee), Niagara Falls OnApril 10, 2012
I have learned quite alot from this place of employment, but they do not give you a chance for advancement,I worked there for six years and the only way you advance if someone quits or they get fired. Management is awsome co workers are great but the most enjoyable part of my job was attending to my guests needs. I enjoyed every person that came to my rooms and complimented me on such a great job I had done and I looked forward to go to work everyday just to see the smiles on thier faces. The hardest part of my job was leaving the Marriott for good, I loved it there but it was time to move on.
great place to meet new people.
Hotel Front Desk Agent (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2013
Pros: building contacts with guest.
Cons: repetitive task
A typical day for me usually begins with setting up the buffet line for our breakfast service followed by replinishing items such as plates, cutlery and food items when necessary. I would also clean tables too. My day usually ends by cleaning up the tables, removing the food items from the buffet line, preparing the food items for the next day. I learned how to organize my time wisely, the importance of team work and communicating with a variety of worldly guest. The most enjoyable part of my job is the time i spend talking and getting to know the guest.
DON'T! DON'T work here!!
Former Marriott Slave (Former Employee), Halifax Residence InnJuly 7, 2014
Pros: nothing!!!
Cons: no help even though the managers office looks out to the dining area. too much work for one person.
If you want to do the job of 3 people, have absolutely no help from anyone and be constantly overwhelmed by trying to accomplish your tasks while management looks on without pitching in then this is the job for you. Poor wages for the work you do, absolutely insane management as they berate you for not being able to do the impossible and no guarantee of hours makes this one of the worst employers in Halifax. Look elsewhere. Even fast food would be better then this place.
Worst experience ever
Marriott Event Technology Manager (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 23, 2013
Pros: wage and benefits seemed good
Cons: worst management ever!
I relocated from Calgary to Halifax for a supervisor position and at first it seemed like a dream job. Shortly after realizing that management were absolutely crazy, unreasonable, unorganized, and unprofessional I realized I made a terrible mistake. The stress level was unbelievable and totally unnecessary! Worst employer ever! Don't ever relocate for them for gods sake whatever you do trust me! The pay was good at first glance and the benefits were good but not worth it in the slightest.
fun place to work and always learned something new everyday!
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBJune 9, 2014
Pros: incentives, pineapple diamonds(customers wanted to speak to my supervisor to tell them how well i did), meet people from marriott hotels, have chances to win a free night stays at marriott hotels
Cons: there were none!
Working there was by far the most rewarding, fun, loving, caring, professional place I have ever worked at. The employees, management, the boss, just EVERYONE were amazing to work around/for. And having the oppurtunity to talk to many different people all over the world, was an amazing experience for me.
I feel this company is a great place to work
Night Audit Lead (Former Employee), RiverCree ResortJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: transportation to work
I feel the Marriott is a very pleasant place to work. The leaders are very supportive and willing to help you when it is needed.
I enjoyed the co-workers and learn so much from other staff.
The hardest part of the job was working the night shift and adjusting to the hours.
The most enjoyable of the job was the guest and ensuring they had a pleasant stay with us and knowing they were going to return and stay with us more.
The staff and how well everyone got along and willing to help in difficult situations.
One of the best companies to work for
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee), Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton CentreMarch 4, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no full time postions available
The Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre is a delightful place to work. I am greeted by all of my fellow employees as soon as I walk in the door. The pay rate is very good and the work load is easily managable. My direct supervisor is a very well organized and compassionate person. The hardest part of my job is doing large set-ups by myself. the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all of my clients completely satisfied with the services we provide.
Headquarters