Marlin Travel Employee Reviews

Good Experience
Travel Professional/ Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 August 2016
Working for Marin Travel has taught me to be confident, organized and how to enjoy being at work. Working as a travel consultant really showed me how confident I am and how well i work as a team, independently and with my customers.
Very Hard to Work for
INDEPENDENT TRAVEL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB7 May 2016
My time, even though brief, not the best experience. The General Manager had the management team around to be his fall guys and even though tried to appear easily approachable with problems was not. When he didn't get his own way, he acted like a toddler and when I was let go, it was the best favor he did for me. I worked long hours with no compensation but at the same time the General Manager felt he did not have to do the same.
Cons
Long Hours With Little Compensation
Great Place to be an Independant Travel Agent
INDEPENDENT TRAVEL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB8 February 2016
I have learned a lot from Marlin Travel in the last year in regards to both leisure and corporate travel that I hope that I will carry to future career opportunities.
Fun, nice people to work with
Travel Agent, Home (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 December 2015
Flexible hours, work from home. Loved going out to do face to face promotions and PR events. Many training options. Great working envirorment.
Pros
Discounts on travel. Training
Cons
Unstable income
Regimented
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON18 September 2015
Did you know that some Marlin Travel agencies are franchises and some are corporate? Corporate agencies are very regimented and sales driven by setting targets every month. Each agent has to generate enough sales to meet specific targets or they lose some of their income once they become full-time employees.
Franchise agencies aren't as regimented but still have to generate enough sales to meet targets to cover overhead expenses.
Pros
Popular Well Know Name
Cons
Monthly sales targets can be stressful if there aren't enough sales.
Fun Workplace
Outside Travel Consultant - Casual Part Time (Current Employee) –  Milton, Ontario18 August 2015
Providing pre and post retail sales and service delivery, account management, leadership to reservations and consulting groups and individual travelers, including client outreach programs to stimulate revenue growth.
Pros
Sending clients to places they have never been before
mom and pop shop
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON6 August 2015
small office and it was good business. it was a time before all the internet companies opened up and people were not shopping online. was a good company.
Pros
small office
Cons
not enough business to sustain a busy day
Marlin Travel
Employee (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON1 June 2015
Marlin Travel has good agencies within it's network that are great to work for. If looking at working for Marlin look for an agency that is corporately owned and not a franchise. There is a big difference between the two!
It was a great part-time job
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC21 May 2015
I worked 3 days per week, which was perfect for me. The days were often very busy and demanding which led to working overtime without pay. We often worked under poor management, or no management at all.

My co-workers were easy to work with, until one became physically and emotionally ill. She had to take time from work, but decided she would rather be at work. She was both physically unstable and emotionally unstable...so one never really knew what to expect. I found her negative attitude towards the rest of us, and our clientele in the office, the hardest thing to overcome. It got a bit more difficult when she accused my clients of laughing too loud!

The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with my clientele...creating their travel dreams and hearing all about their vacation memories when they return.
I have love to travel, so having access to all of the travel opportunities that are out there has always been a big "WOW" factor for me and my family!
Pros
Travel discounts and unlimited travel opportunities
Cons
long hours with no overtime pay
Assistant
Agents' Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2015
It was a job placement experience for my college program. I attended for 3 weeks. They allowed me to do minimal filing, research hotels for open files, organize the closet and answer calls.
I took messages and assisted agents with certain files. Senior agents were a little bit more hesitant to give me anything to do other than clean.
Pros
got to look through so many brochures
Cons
agents lack of trust with files
Fun, productive workplace with awesome people
Travel Consultant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton20 January 2015
A typical day at work for me was answering the phones and taking client details. I would help them plan out trips and book them. I learned a lot of different computers programs such as matrix and consul pc which are accounting based. I used Microsoft office on a daily basis. The management was great, she was very understanding and flexible. I loved the people I worked with, I am still friends with them. The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out what the clients really wanted, but that's why we have specific qualifying questions we ask so they get what they are looking for. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping my manager and co workers with all the research they had to do, and talking to all the different people that came in.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great people
Cons
Mall location
Reserve and process all clients air/hotel/car/transfers travel tickets
Travel consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2014
A typical day at work would be to assist with any walk in or repeat clients with their travel needs. I provide recommendations for destinations and cost of travel.
Pros
being able to travel for work purposes
Cons
working long days with no over time pay
Co-op Position
- Booking Hotels
- Calling Airlines
- Calling Cruise Lines
- Giving Air Miles
- Learning to book tickets online
- and more
What I learned was:
- How to work in a fast paste environment and learning everything really fast.
Management/Co-Workers
- They were amazing we all got along and had a good time they all each took time to show me how to work and learn everything so I could help them out.

I enjoyed every part of working there even if it was just for co-op for high school.
Great company
Senior Travel Consultant/Wedding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2014
It was a great experience working with Marlin travel and the staff .
Excellent Company

•management
Excellent

•your co-workers
Amazing

•the hardest part of the job

•the most enjoyable part of the job
Clients
Pros
Travel
Cons
Travel
Practicum
Trainee for Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 January 2014
I have to say that I enjoyed every minute I was at this company. The other Agents and Management treated me like I had been there for a long time. I learned a lot and it was a great start for me for the work world in Travel. Unfortunately they could not fit me into their budget to hire me as a full time agent.
excellent work
Leisure Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB26 September 2013
Loved the job
Very professional environment
Got to travel
Was able to sell travel for all over the world
Pros
Loved every minute of it
Cons
commission based with retrograde salary
good
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 July 2013
Worked as a personal assistance with the manager..
Took care of all the financial issues,billing, projet management etc ..
Reported the all days activities in an accurate and timely manner
Was responsible for keeping the records of all the customers
not so great
Independent Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 July 2013
nothing at all, no training...no advertising help. Left to fall flat on your face earning no income.
Small and fun work environment
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 June 2013
I was lead agent in a walk in travel agency. I was the first person someone would deal with when booking a vacation. In the agency we could book a wide viarety of vacations around the world including all inclusives, tours, cruises and FIT.

My manager and I got along very well as it was a small office and often worked on marketing plans together and did promotion events as well.

I have learnt a lot about the tourism industry as i was with this agency for over two years.

2.7