Marks Work Wearhouse Employee Reviews in Canada

It was my first job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBJuly 2, 2016
Working at zellers was not what i expected, I was very young so I just wanted a job to start out that gave me good social skills and knowledge of a cash register for the future if i wanted to work in any other retail stores. A day as a associate at zellers was dealing with returns often, restocking and very short breaks and lunches. The management was not very good, and it is rare i say that! I was not treated with respect at all and I was really dissapointed seeing as it was my first job.
Fun learning environment and great experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BCMay 31, 2016
I learned a lot from marks. I learned many social skills and learned how to stock shelves and do inventory, and open up at the start of the day. My most enjoyable part of work was the people I was surrounded around who supported me through my first job and helped me with difficult situations. The hardest part of the job was just starting out and getting used to where everything was, and my surroundings and having to go to other coworkers asking, but it all worked out in the end
Pros
Great staff parties, and flexible hours
Cons
Short lunches
transitioning company
Part-time sales associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 4, 2016
overall good company to work for. a lot of issues with theft to be worked out, generally good group of people working as a team, and helpful when needed.
Great Co-Workers!
Keyholder/ Business Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 1, 2016
Always replenishing merchandise, setting up displays according to corporate mandate, helping customers locate product either at our store or at another store. Complete online orders and ship via Purolator. Processed company accounts for uniforms and safety footwear, educated store staff on proper procedures, as well created a workwear binder for all of the company accounts processed in our location specifically and had basic knowledge for newer or unfamiliar staff in order to ensure the customers transaction went smoothly. Opened and closed the store, counting floats for multiple tills, did bank deposit as well as coin orders. Placed orders for store stationary through Grand & Toy.
Pros
Great store staff!!
Cons
Not enough hours during the summer
Fun, Enjoyable workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 28, 2015
If your into retail Mark's Management is great and understanding and is a fun place to work. Easy staff to get along with. Lots of rules and lots of red tape which is to be expected with a company like this. This company is all about pleasing the customer, however it can get confusing in some parts for the customer.Communication was often misguided because of how little staff that would be on shift at the same time.
Pros
Fun, and friendly staff, lots of scheduling opportunities
Cons
miscommunication, hard to advance on.
Productive and fun workplace with hardworking co-workers
Cashier/ Floors Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 2, 2015
We all work together to get the job done at the end of the day. All in all it is a fun workplace with supportive management. The most enjoyable part of this job is being about to interact with many different people, and helping there shopping experience easier.
Pros
Amazing people to work with
Cons
rude customers
Impossible place to work
Keyholder, Associate (Former Employee) –  Stettler, ABOctober 29, 2015
I feel the manager at this business has no compassion or management skills. She is unable to incorporate availability of her employees into a working schedule, takes no care for employees with children and expects work to ALWAYS come before those children. She is not approachable about concerns and reacts with petty immature responses when she hears that a staff member is unhappy.
Pros
nothing
Cons
manager
Fun Work Environment
Customer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 13, 2015
A fun place to work with great team members. They train you well on clean work environments and customer care. If you enjoy customer service and are good with people, you will enjoy this company.
Great Environment to work at
Aldergrove - Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCOctober 13, 2015
Marks Work Wearhouse is a wonderful place to work ! I have learnt so many different skills over my 13 months of working there. I have learnt how to deal/greet customers, been taught on the Cash register, doing business account and orders, I can do shipments, handle money, and most importantly , I love making customers happy.
Pros
wonderful staff, great customers
Cons
I don't get any hours.
marks
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 6, 2015
I liked working at marks, they have good product. I was only part time when I was working there. I was in charge of the work accept ex. work boots, work clothes. I liked making sure left with a good pair of work boots that they would be in all day.
very task oriented
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  morningside and kingston roadSeptember 15, 2015
Very high paced work environment, you work a diverse team and deal with all walks of life. You learn how deal with confrontation which is an assets for future workplaces. You get to build relationships with co-workers and customers.
Pros
life experiences
Cons
stressful at times
Fun, yet very fast paced. Timing is everything.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 6, 2015
Receive freight every morning. Process incoming freight by unpacking, examining contents, and accountable for whats missing. All pieces inputed into computer system manually. Find storage for freight, easier said than done on most days. Excellent staff and management.
Furthered my time management skills as well as people management skills. Co-workers were easily the best part of the job while the hardest part was technology was not up to date by a long shot.
Pros
store discount
Cons
Technology from the 90s
Mark's is a decent place to work
PTR Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Miramichi, NBApril 29, 2015
Mark's is a good company, with good management, and quality clothing. Although, it has almost no benefits, usually not great hours, and corporate expects a lot more of you than they let you believe when you are first hired. It is okay if you are looking for a part time job or a temporary thing, but it is not ideal for long term employment, unless you are looking at management. You are a cashier, sales clerk, fitting room attendant, stock person, janitor, and therapist to distraught customers in the run of a day, all while getting paid minimum wage.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Poor hours, no benefits (unless management position)
great people
Sales associate /cashier (Current Employee) –  westshoreMarch 25, 2015
love the it was so close to home
loved to learn about product
getting disscount
hardest part was pleasing everyone at once being cashier and cleanier and host at one time, as having customer service biggest part of job some customer dont see that
seeing as saying hi to someone walking in as rude while talking to them
Pros
close to home
Cons
not good pay
Fun work environment
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Collingwood, ONJanuary 10, 2015
A typical day at work:
-Cashier
-Assisting customers finding products and sizes
-Doing orders if we do not have the particular item
-Cleaning and tidying

I have learned a lot about retail and how much really goes into having a business that people want to shop at.

My co-workers are amazing, each and everyone of them will do their best to make the customers happy and feel welcomed.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with unhappy customers, unfortunately this is going to happen in any retail business, the best we can do is try to understand the customer, and also try to compromise if there are any issues.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help customers find what they are looking for, and make sure they leave Marks with a smile on their face.
Excellent place to work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 6, 2014
I was treated as part of the family with many opportunities for advancement. Every day was different with lots of things to do.
Pros
great atmosphere
Productive with a nice work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONMay 19, 2014
Hours are not the best, as in employees only received minimal hours per week. People who I worked with are great for the most part. Not to labour intensive.
good
Store Operator of two Kamloops locations (Former Employee) –  Kamloops B.C.May 5, 2014
Great experience for gaining experience in management, leading a team of 30 employees was a great experience and learned to work with different diversity in the job. Customer service is our goal and had many workshops to help cultivate the environment.
Fun place with awesome coworkers
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 14, 2014
As soon as I started working there, everyone was so welcoming and eager to help me learn new skills to better help customers. Even though everyday is different, it never is a dull day.