Marketplace IGA

Marketplace IGA Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive workplace with great hours and friendly staff
Assistant Deli and Bakery Manager (Former Employee), Lake Country, BCAugust 25, 2014
Pros: great hours, always something to do, friendly staff
Cons: older store, older equipment
Working at Marketplace IGA was overall a good experience for me that helped me gain great customer service skills. A typical day at IGA began at 7:00am proofing all our baked items such as bread,buns,croissants, cinnamon buns and other pastries. Typically in the mornings I would look after all the baking and my manager would take care of the deli. IGA in Lake Country is located just up the road from the George Elliot school so we often got very busy around lunch time and I would prep lunch for the students beforehand. Lunch prep included making wraps,sandwiches, salads and hot case items such as chicken strips, french fries, hotdogs and burgers. I was not only responsible for the preparation and production of what we made but also the presentation. Throughout the day responsibilities included slicing deli meats and cheese for customers, helping customers find store items, taking cake orders, and running them through the deli till. We had a few managers come and go so i was responsible for training them on how our scales work and where we keep our frozen products and our meats and cheeses. I trained many of our night shift staff & day time weekend staff on customer service, baking, deli prep, and presentation. the hardest part of the job for me was cleaning the bakery department freezers. We get a lot of product in and our freezers were not big enough so I was constantly struggling to keep them organized and sometimes it would take me up to an hour. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was baking and decorating cupcakes and cakes. I am an artistic person so when I get the chance to use my artistic skills in the workplace It is always very enjoyable for me.
fun place to work
Bistro Manager (Former Employee), New WestministerAugust 8, 2014
Pros: fun people
Cons: not enough hours for clerks
Marketplace is a fun place to work. Great staff and nice store managers.
Great First Job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCApril 9, 2014
Working at IGA was fairly good, it was a great first job. I worked in the deli so I prepped food, took customers orders, cleaned, made food and closed the deli most nights. I'd also help out with the bakery sometimes too. The hardest part was when I was closing by myself and running a bit behind because I had to deal with a lot of customers. There were some misunderstandings between me and coworkers/manager. The most enjoyable part of the job was that my first manager gave me the hours I wanted so it was very flexible.
Excellent Job
Bookkeeper and File Maintenance (Current Employee), Cloverdale, BCApril 3, 2014
Pros: it depends on the owners, most often some sort of store discount.
I have worked for this company for many years and I have always enjoyed it. I have worked for multiple different locations and it has always been a wonderful job to have. I continue to work there a couple days a week despite finding another job because I just was not ready to leave!
Has good custmer service Nice management
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), New WestministerMarch 13, 2013
I usally do closings when I start I prepare salads deal with serving customers do prep work for the next day.Fill all salads in case stock deli meats for next day.clean all of the dept.Three people work in deli,opener mid shift and closer.Im on my one from 6pm till10.I enjoy working with my coworkers. I like helping people in the store.
Overwork bakery
Bakery & Cashier (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: work experience
Cons: doing someone else's job
a typical day consits of decorating cakes & cupcakes, baking breads, slicing breads.

I learned that jobs have more to them then what you apply for.

The hardest part was trying to get my job plus try and do someone else's job.

The most enjoyable part was the goodies.
great group of people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee), Gibsons, BCSeptember 7, 2012
Pros: making connections with people
Cons: not a decent wage
awesome first job, made me a more outgoing person and brought me out of my shell.