Mark's Employee Reviews

Trying to figure out what there doing very slowly
Store General Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 12, 2016
Mark's try's to have a welcoming culture but due to old school upper management this will never be accomplished. Life and work balance is nonexistent they believe they own you. For example I had a week of holiday's cancelled by my D.M. that I booked 2 months prier.
Great Customers!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Nova ScotiaJanuary 7, 2016
Learned to multi-task at almost every level
Great Staff!
Mgmt.: depends on Location
hard part: Mark ups and Mark downs; surprise sales; not enough staff to accommodate work load(s) vs Customer service.

could have better cost of living increases with yearly raises. could have better incentives to keep staff. never hire full time. does not promote within stores. most mgrs. are hired from outside
Pros
great staff discounts
Cons
floor plan changes too much
Great staff no hours horriable managment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  High River, ABJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyd at first working for marks. At first there were great hours and the staff seemed friendly as well as managent. Typical retail handing cash, replenishment so on. As it was a new store we had lots of hours to start out with witch was great. After Christmas they cut your hours to maybe 5 hours a week as a shift leader? There's alot of playing favorites in the company. If they don't like you, you don't work. Seems friendly until you leave them there Is alot of disrespect. Students get more hours a week then people trying to make a living. At marks word for word "your a robot"
You think due to no hours you don't work with the company... then after two months and all knowledge lost they call you to come in and work . Bs store don't work here.
Pros
Cons
No hours, poor management, poor pay, favorite playing
High expectations, low ressources
Store General Manager (Former Employee) –  St.-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QCAugust 2, 2016
Have you ever heard the expression: ''Lots of chiefs, not enough indians''? Thats is what sums up my experience at Mark's Work Wearhouse.

Short staffed all the time, way too many Audits, merchandising and business accounts tasks for the quantity of hours allocated.

The customer was always a priority but too often had to be set aside to complete tasks in the given time frame.

No communication towards higher levels. Too many people visiting the stores setting priorities of their own without communications between them.

The only full time employees are two management staff per store, all others are minimum salary part time employees with no social benefits.

In the face of mathematical impossibility to complete all tasks in time, without sacrificing customer service and sales, managers get slammed with disciplinary measures and either demoted or layed off if unable to comply.

Very high staff replacement rate.
Pros
Very good social benefits for management, SGM conventions, employee rebate/
Cons
Very low ressources. high pressure for tasks and audits.
My job is an amazing place to work at!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BCMarch 11, 2016
The management has clear expectations, and we have an amazing team working together.There is plenty of training given so everyone is given the same opportunities for success. The hours are perfect for a student because we can get home at a good time to still do homework as well. The management is what makes Mark's really great though.
Pros
People, hours, training opportunities, etc...
Cons
Not enough hours
Great culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 30, 2015
Marks management and culture is amazing. People are social and the work is always done in a fun spirit. Overall a great place to work. Only downfall would be lack of advancement
Mark's
CSC/IC/MC (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 31, 2016
Marks is a decent place to work. I was able to learn many interpersonal as a supervisor. As a merchandise coordinator I waw able to develop my eye for detail. As an Imagewear coordinator I developed my ability to multitask, as well developed my ability to draw in clients from the public. Majority of management are great to work for but not all are supportive of the employees needs.
Productive and fun workplace with friendly employees
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBFebruary 9, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Mark's because I was able to do other tasks other than just my job description. My favourite part of the job was helping customers because I knew I had contributed to a sale and also helped someone find exactly what they needed. I learned a lot about shipping and receiving, presentation of the store, and how to treat customers well. The management was for the most part was great, but there were a lot of organizational problems that took place. The stock room was always a mess with too much stock in the room because of a closure of another store. We had too much stock so none of it could go out in the store to sell. The hardest part of the job was doing everything very quickly. With the certain circumstances we were always crunched for time and I work much better when I know the quality of my work is good. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team that works at Mark's. All of the employees were very welcoming and open to ask questions and I felt like I had a lot of guidance during my work period. My co workers were what made the job more enjoyable.
Pros
Safe and productive environment to work in.
Cons
Unorganized, and dishonest.
A typical day at marks
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 28, 2016
Mark's is a clothing company that is directed towards "working" men and women. These jobs can include hard labour such as construction or even desk jobs such as receptionists. Mark's caters towards every lifestyle. A typical day at work includes running the cash, working on UPT , along with folding clothes and aiding customers. One learns how to multitask and work under pressure as it can get very busy. For the past 6 years I have learned a lot about retail and there has been its pros and cons. Pros being making strong and lasting friendships with your co-workers, and cons being dealing with hard customers and situations. The only part about mark's that needs to change is its management. It has gone completely down hill since when I first started, and I have found that the current management at mark's is not meeting the correct requirements or standards. Changes need to be made, as more and more people (i have found are leaving) due to these reoccurring issues such as not understanding that school comes first. Other than that, Mark's clothes are excellent quality, long lasting and very stylish.
Pros
excellent co-workers and clothes and hours
Cons
management not being understanding
An okay place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioJuly 6, 2016
There is a never ending list of stuff do. It'd a good job if you're an associate but once you go above that it gets stressful. Company does a terrible job at executing sales and are constantly making mistakes. Pay is minimal and doesn't go up much. You get free snacks around Christmas. This job will teach you how to handle a lot of different situations and how to adapt
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Understaffed
Best job I have had yet!
Customer Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 16, 2016
The job where I learned how to be a great professional, dependable and an excellent communicator.

Going into the job, I did not fully understand a workforce that could be a community. The atmosphere that it exudes is one that I can describe very well.

Comfort in knowing that they have products that you want to sell to the customer, because it will benefit them. With- in their impressive innovative technologies, they improve faster or as fast as the leading brand name clothes.

Opportunity to understand and strive for the next level within the organization, as well as the ability to get hired in greater opportunistic positions. If... you showcase that you are mature enough to reach out, grasp your skills and be promoted if you are ready.

I had the chance to set up new locations (Merivale and Kemptville). I had the opportunity to help run a clearance store as a temporary shift leader. I designed additional signs for stores, helped clear out off-sites, provided above excellent customer service strategies and learned about "Teamwork that Works!"

Best Job I Have Had Yet!
fun workplace, great environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 5, 2016
great management team, the employees were awesome to work with also. the hours were good I was satisfied working there. I learned that building personal relationships with customers improves buisness and public relations. I really loved working in the morning and when the store was busy.
Pros
caring and understanding employees
Cons
lots of theft from customers
Literally awful
Key Holder/ Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJune 25, 2016
worked there for two years, had to basically get on my hands and knees to get a promotion, management gave 0 cares abt its staff. everything. i.e. no paid breaks even though you were constantly on the flor helping because it was so understaffed, having dirty work boots thrown at you by anger customers, no time off ever. i cried every day when i got home
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 18, 2016
Mark's in Whitecourt was like a second home to me, not because of how often I was working but because my co-workers had become a second family to me. They taught me a lot, from dealing with customers to learning about clothes and different work requirements for customers and everything in between.
loved working for them
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint-basile, QCAugust 6, 2016
good working condition. Work hard, loved all the parts of my job, a challenge of everyday. the contact with customers. Resolving problems. Having the liberty of making your own decision following the guide of Marks.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
store closed
Fast fun paced environment
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABSeptember 8, 2016
-Enjoyed my co-workers
-Management was nice, helpful and encouraging
-Getting to talk and satisfy customers with their needs
-Getting the right training and knowledge for the job position
Ok place to work don't plan on any weekends off
Manager (Former Employee) –  ReginaSeptember 24, 2016
Was a manager for 4 years, not a lot of work life balance. Expected to be in store more evening shifts than day shifts. Salary and benefits comparable to the industry
nice place for the beginner
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 6, 2016
Nice place to enhance communication skill including learn customer service skill. If anyone want to build career at retail, Mark's would be the right place for starter.
Terrible Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 18, 2015
I worked as Sales Person in Saskatoon.The level of favouritism and discrimination at this particular store was off the chain.It was so bold that anyone could see it.I am still considering filing a formal complaint against the company,that way even if i loose the case, at least it will go on file that someone brought the issue to light.
The pay was close to minimum wage.The company decided to only pay sales bonus to the management team while the sales people worked for minimum wage and nothing more.It was so hilarious when managers would go around trying to push employees to push sales so they can reap the bonus.I mean,who in their right mind would work so hard so someone else can reap the benefits?A poor decision on the part of the company.
After working hard for the company for years,i realised there was no reward or incentive to keep being the best employee.So i did what i had watched other previous employees do before they quit. I started arriving late regularly and literally doing very little during my shift.No folding clothes,no cleaning,just walking around.This specific manager transformed me from being the best employee to being the worst.She sure worked hard to bring the worst out of me. lol. I would recommend this specific store to anyone who is lazy.There were lazy employees who everyone complained of but they kept on getting promotions because of favouritism then there were hard working employees like me who upon realising that there was no reward for their hard work, intentionally became lazy but we still got away with it.Overall A good place to unleash your
  more... laziness.  less
Pros
Company discount, a safe place for people who are not hardworking
Cons
Favouritism, close to minimum wage
Wonderful work envrionment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONApril 26, 2016
Enjoyable environment, great products, developed customer service experience, learned about merchandising, Mark's is very customer-oriented

2.8