Mark's

Mark's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced customer centre environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Pickering, ONJanuary 16, 2016
A day a Mark's is always different. There is always work to be done as well as there is always something learn. The staff at Mark's are friendly and always willing to offer a helping hand.

The hardest part of the job is when there is a staff shortage due to cutting of hours.
Great Customers!
Associate (Current Employee), Nova ScotiaJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: great staff discounts
Cons: floor plan changes too much
Learned to multi-task at almost every level
Great Staff!
Mgmt.: depends on Location
hard part: Mark ups and Mark downs; surprise sales; not enough staff to accommodate work load(s) vs Customer service.

could have better cost of living increases with yearly raises. could have better incentives to keep staff. never hire full time. does not promote within stores. most mgrs. are hired from outside
Great culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 30, 2015
Marks management and culture is amazing. People are social and the work is always done in a fun spirit. Overall a great place to work. Only downfall would be lack of advancement
Good Team
CUSTOMER COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 17, 2015
The team at Mark's was amazing. I couldn't have asked for better people to work with. If you like working retail, it's not a bad company to work for.
Nice coworkers, no structure
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
Pros: Chill and nice coworkers, if there are hours available and you ask for them they will probably be given to you.
Cons: Availability was never taken into consideration when building schedule.
This was an ok job. The people here are really nice. Mark's is very much all about pleasing the customer which is nice and cute until it makes things confusing, especially when it comes to things like the return policy. At the store I worked at nobody ever seemed to be on the same page, what the Manager said was different from what the Assistant Manager said which was also different from what the supervisor would say. Another major problem was many MANY times in almost every shift there was only ever 3 or 2 of us closing which made it hard to get things done or catch thefts.
Productive workplace
Sales Rep./Cashier (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 9, 2015
Pros: Discount on expensive wear
Cons: Poor management
Very slow environment for sales. Short staffed a lot of the time. The workers made the job go by faster. Most enjoyable part was cleaning up the store when we didn't have customers.
fun place to work with amazing co-workers
Cashier/ Floors Associate (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Amazing people to work with
Cons: rude customers
co-workers were amazing we were all there to help each other out and our main goal was customer service, always making sure the customers were being helped and that we made their shopping experience easier for them
Productive and fun workplace with an amazing staff!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 28, 2015
Pros: Event sales - great food for staff
Mark's had a positive environment and a great staff. It was a fun workplace and the management team was very supportive. A typical day at work was dedicated to customer service and keeping the store organized.
A bad non-rewarding workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKOctober 25, 2015
I had a bad experience at mark's in Saskatoon.Disorganised management,positive efforts not recognised,favouritism,overall just a bad experience.
Marks was a good job
Sales Representative (Former Employee), warden and eglingtonOctober 24, 2015
Pros: close to residence
Cons: no free lunches
Marks wearhouse was a very clean working space. The sales team was very good with helpiing customers. Some days would be unloading shippment's and facing the store. The most enjoyable part of my job was starting to work.
Terrible Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Company discount, a safe place for people who are not hardworking
Cons: Favouritism, close to minimum wage
I worked as Sales Person in Saskatoon.The level of favouritism and discrimination at this particular store was off the chain.It was so bold that anyone could see it.I am still considering filing a formal complaint against the company,that way even if i loose the case, at least it will go on file that someone brought the issue to light.
The pay was close to minimum wage.The company decided to only pay sales bonus to the management team while the sales people worked for minimum wage and nothing more.It was so hilarious when managers would go around trying to push employees to push sales so they can reap the bonus.I mean,who in their right mind would work so hard so someone else can reap the benefits?A poor decision on the part of the company.
After working hard for the company for years,i realised there was no reward or incentive to keep being the best employee.So i did what i had watched other previous employees do before they quit. I started arriving late regularly and literally doing very little during my shift.No folding clothes,no cleaning,just walking around.This specific manager transformed me from being the best employee to being the worst.She sure worked hard to bring the worst out of me. lol. I would recommend this specific store to anyone who is lazy.There were lazy employees who everyone complained of but they kept on getting promotions because of favouritism then there were hard working employees like me who upon realising that there was no reward for their hard work, intentionally became lazy but we still got away with it.Overall A good place to unleash your – more... laziness. – less
enjoyable workplace with fun people
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa. onOctober 15, 2015
Pros: awesome people
Cons: no hours
Helped keep store clean, greet customers and help them with anything they needed, and organized the back room. Really enjoyed working here but the hours dropped after christmas to one shift a week.
marks summary
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), MississaugaSeptember 3, 2015
great environment, management was good, I enjoyed working with the colleagues and helping customers on a daily basis.
the most enjoyable job
Sales associate/Merch (Former Employee), ottawa, ontarioAugust 18, 2015
my manager was awesome she made your day at work fun !!! she loved her team like we were her family , sucks the location closed i would have stayed in that job .
Very fun place to work at!
Sales associate (Current Employee), calgary ,AbAugust 12, 2015
I really enjoy working here, typical things you do are restocking clothing, cash and credit transactions, dealing with seasonal changes in the store, normal housekeeping every night
Knowledgeable and Understanding Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Very friendly environment, good organization, emphasis on excellent customer satisfaction
Cons: Always seemed to be understaffed, but it was nothing we couldn't handle
Working at Mark's was awesome. Not only was the Mark's team great and fun to work with, but the management was excellent and everything was always very organized. There was something new to learn every day, even with employees who have been there since the very beginning. Never a dull moment!
organized and driven group of people.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABJuly 31, 2015
Mark's grew me in a way I had not expected when I first walked in. I came in thinking it was just another job. And it was a job but I learned things I had no idea I was going to learn. Most of the things I had learned that shocked me were mostly from customers too! working at Mark's grew my patience and my willingness to be humble in a stressful situation.
Working at Mark's Work Wearhouse
Support Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 22, 2015
Great company to work with with great pay and benefits. I was able to work along well with my co-workers to ensure information are updated promptly. Also, I was able to work from home when needed
What it's like Working at Mark's
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONApril 30, 2015
Pros: Great colleagues/staff, good working environment, flexible hours
Cons: Few hours, difficult/demanding customers, little chance of advancement
Working at Mark's is decent. There are few physically demanding tasks and few chances of getting bored because there is always something to keep you busy. The management I have worked with has been good. Supervisors were easy to get along with and made the experience pleasant each day. I love all my co-workers; they are all wonderful people and really make you feel like you're an important part of the team. I'm sure I'll keep in touch with them once its time to leave the position. The manager at my location was very accommodating but he is so stressed and busy that he sometimes forgets what days you wanted off and will schedule you in by mistake. With that said, when he makes a mistake, he never demands you work if you're unable to and will always try his best to find someone to replace you. There are also quite a few downsides to the position. First, there are few hours to go around because the company is ALWAYS hiring new people so those who work there already get few hours and sometimes, you can go weeks on end without getting a shift. Also, there is very little chance to advance in this company. The last thing I'd like to comment on is with respect to the retail aspect of the job, which is often very stressful and emotionally demanding. Some customers will test your patience the moment they walk through the door. They'll leave a huge mess on the floor and in the changing rooms and expect you to be happy for it cause you're getting paid to be their slave, after all. There are also many customers (usually women) who are extremely picky and will sometimes have fits if an item – more... does not come in their size or if the products available are not to their liking. Having said that, there are also customers who are a pleasure to serve and will leave you smiling after they leave. Overall, this is a good, temporary job for students who want to make money during their studies, but there are much better positions out there for older individuals who are looking to create a career for themselves. – less
Amazing benefits, vacation and stability
GENERAL MANAGER & ASSOCIATE GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONApril 21, 2015
Lacking a succession plan, but offers great stability, especially for retail. Gained valuable management skills such as; payroll/expense management, on-boarding and recruitment and selection, merchandising, and product management.
Headquarters