Mark's

Mark's Employee Reviews

What it's like Working at Mark's
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONApril 30, 2015
Working at Mark's is decent. There are few physically demanding tasks and few chances of getting bored because there is always something to keep you busy. The management I have worked with has been good. Supervisors were easy to get along with and made the experience pleasant each day. I love all my co-workers; they are all wonderful people and really make you feel like you're an important part of the team. I'm sure I'll keep in touch with them once its time to leave the position. The manager at my location was very accommodating but he is so stressed and busy that he sometimes forgets what days you wanted off and will schedule you in by mistake. With that said, when he makes a mistake, he never demands you work if you're unable to and will always try his best to find someone to replace you. There are also quite a few downsides to the position. First, there are few hours to go around because the company is ALWAYS hiring new people so those who work there already get few hours and sometimes, you can go weeks on end without getting a shift. Also, there is very little chance to advance in this company. The last thing I'd like to comment on is with respect to the retail aspect of the job, which is often very stressful and emotionally demanding. Some customers will test your patience the moment they walk through the door. They'll leave a huge mess on the floor and in the changing rooms and expect you to be happy for it cause you're getting paid to be their slave, after all. There are also many customers (usually women) who are extremely picky and will sometimes have fits if an item  more... does not come in their size or if the products available are not to their liking. Having said that, there are also customers who are a pleasure to serve and will leave you smiling after they leave. Overall, this is a good, temporary job for students who want to make money during their studies, but there are much better positions out there for older individuals who are looking to create a career for themselves.  less
Pros
Great colleagues/staff, good working environment, flexible hours
Cons
Few hours, difficult/demanding customers, little chance of advancement
Great place to work at- unless you want to move up the ladder quickly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 24, 2014
A typical day at work here at MWW involves cleaning up my Industrial department and serving customers. On busy days, some tasks will have to be put on hold in favor of customer service. The job is great, though it is difficult to ask for a raise.
My department managers are really good and very understanding, as they are on the floor with the sales associates so they know what's going on at all times. The most difficult aspect of the job would be pleasing customers- the Inventory Lookup system is often very inaccurate because Mark's is often a target for thefts. Due to this setup, and the fact that Mark's does inventory only once a year, the Inventory lookup system will say that a certain store will have a large number of a certain item when in fact, it does not. This would often irritate the sales associate on the other side as they do not think that the store being called is searching thoroughly enough. Another thing is employees are often not made aware of recalls, so these associates very often have no clue why a certain item has disappeared for a long time. Certain customers are also very difficult to please and would blow off steam on the sales associate.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting genuine people who I would frequently have long conversations with, ranging from topics about food, life, and their jobs. I have met some of the most interesting people I never thought I'd ever meet- from a Mexican pilot to a guy who accidentally stabbed himself in the abdomen with a welding torch, the amount of interesting individuals that go through the doors of MWW is never
  more... ending. My favorite thing about MWW though, is that it's a small store. By that, I mean that it's not like a large department store where everyone would be strangers even after a year of working there. The associates know and understand each other- like a little big family. As much as I dislike some aspects of the job, my little big family at Mark's makes my day a lot more bearable, even on my worst days.  less
Pros
you're all family, 40% employee discount
Cons
demanding customers, difficult associates from other stores
Really Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 29, 2014
I worked at Mark's for two years. Because of the generally older demographic that shops there, customer service is stressed constantly by management - which really helped make me the great salesman I am today.

Though it builds a lot of skill, there's certainly a ton of work that needs to be done to maintain a store that's 12,000+ sq ft with a small team. At times I felt I was being a little bit underpaid, and only ever got a 25 cent raise for my efforts.

Management at the Oshawa Centre store is incredible. I was rewarded multiple times for my efforts straight from the manager's pocket, via gift cards etc. Management at the North Oshawa store was just ok though. They have a 'holier than thou' attitude at that store, and expect employees to go way way way to far above for no reward. I was once asked to stay a half hour later to clean, only to figure out on my next pay check I wasn't even paid for it. I've had to wait around for 20 minutes past the end of my shift while the manager zipped up jackets and demanded we clean the store to perfection before leaving, which I once again was not compensated for.

Overall it's a good place to work. They will work you to the bone, and as states above, have very very high expectations for customer service. Don't really expect any advancement in the company. In my two years I saw one person get promoted from within, and I myself, despite constantly being a top performer, was never promoted to shift leader.

Side notes: the discount is 40% and you have a cap of about $1500, which friends and family
can use as well. They're service rating system
  more... 'J-Score' is mathematically incorrect, (a 5-star and a 3-star gives the store a rating of 2-star instead of 4-star) which always bugged me.  less
Pros
40% discount, rewarded by management
Cons
very hard to advance, slim hours, no commission
Terrible Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 18, 2015
I worked as Sales Person in Saskatoon.The level of favouritism and discrimination at this particular store was off the chain.It was so bold that anyone could see it.I am still considering filing a formal complaint against the company,that way even if i loose the case, at least it will go on file that someone brought the issue to light.
The pay was close to minimum wage.The company decided to only pay sales bonus to the management team while the sales people worked for minimum wage and nothing more.It was so hilarious when managers would go around trying to push employees to push sales so they can reap the bonus.I mean,who in their right mind would work so hard so someone else can reap the benefits?A poor decision on the part of the company.
After working hard for the company for years,i realised there was no reward or incentive to keep being the best employee.So i did what i had watched other previous employees do before they quit. I started arriving late regularly and literally doing very little during my shift.No folding clothes,no cleaning,just walking around.This specific manager transformed me from being the best employee to being the worst.She sure worked hard to bring the worst out of me. lol. I would recommend this specific store to anyone who is lazy.There were lazy employees who everyone complained of but they kept on getting promotions because of favouritism then there were hard working employees like me who upon realising that there was no reward for their hard work, intentionally became lazy but we still got away with it.Overall A good place to unleash your
  more... laziness.  less
Pros
Company discount, a safe place for people who are not hardworking
Cons
Favouritism, close to minimum wage
Been with the company since 2008. Making minimum wage. $$
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJune 20, 2014
Not a great place to work if you're looking for advancement...& really, unless you are a student...who wouldn't want advancement? I have been with the company since 2008 working at 2 different locations throughout those years. Now that minimum wage increased to $11/h I received a 0.04 cent increase (woohoo) and I now make the same hourly wage as the 'new guy'. I won't be with this company much longer for this reason alone. Apparently spending 1.2 million dollars in advertisement on a Father's Day weekend event is more crucial than keeping their long time, loyal employees happy. Way to go. Hours are a complete joke unless you are the Store operator or assistant store operator (37.5h per week). Everyone else gets from 3-22 hours per week unless you are a shift leader you will average around 20-30h/week. And then Xmas time comes around and all of these 'seasonal' employees are hired for extra help but then it's too much of a hassle to get rid of them once the Christmas season is over so we keep them employed and lower everyone else's hours to about 9/h per week & then get a little outraged when I pick up a 2nd job because I can't make ends meet. End rant. So long marks.
Pros
40% discount on regular priced merchandise, limited to $2000 per year $3000 per year for store operators
Cons
wage
Liked most of the people
sales associate (Former Employee) –  drayton valleyOctober 20, 2012
Started there 2 weeks before xmas was an extremly busy place I have a lot of retail experience and was treated like I knew absolutley nothing and this was my very first job ever.Was not given any info on how things were done and that an online course would be available to me to learn about products etc. This was not set up for weeks so i learned by watching and asking when there was time. My time there was miserable except for a few people( sales associates ) nothing anybody did was right even if it was following procedures nobody got any praise or thanks just being made to feel inadequate .You can not treat your staff like they know nothing and expect them to work their butts off for you and smile about it. Not all marks are run that way but the one I was at sure was I was there 6 months we were always short staffed and getting the what for for not having the store tip top all the time with 2 people from 2- 830 then clean the store Too cheap to hire a janitor so staff had to clean store on sunday mornings before opening vac/mop/dust/straightened up etc with 2 people thats a whole lot of store to clean then get all sweaty and dirty and open store and work like that all day no time to clean up yourself
Pros
some good people
Cons
wage not enough to live on even with experience
A straightforward retail job with a great team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Marks is a great company. Their IT department really knows what it is doing, and as a result their in-house inventory and ordering systems work surprisingly well. This makes the non-standard retail part of the job quite easy, and really simplifies the task of surprising the customer and making them happy.

The team at Marks was a joy to work with. For the most part there wasn't too much drama, and they were well organized and good at communicating.

That being said, Mark's is still a retail position, and as such has a host of irritating aspects. Constant standing, occasionally condescending middle management, angry customers and a fair amount of passive aggressive break time scheduling mean that some days could be quite stressful. Also, Christmas music.

Overall, I'd characterize Mark's as the best of the retail jobs. Nearly 0 responsibility outside of showing up and folding clothes, good corporate policymaking, and a great discount. It is boring, but it isn't bad.
Great Place to work, exceptional service driven leadership
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJuly 24, 2014
Working for Mark's for many years, roughly 8 years. Through this time I started as a part time employee, through to Merchandise Associate, Shipper Receiver, up to Assistant Manager of Merchandising as well as Assistant Manager of Customer Service.

Tasks were are listed;
-Exceptional Customer service skills
-Using computer systems for customer inquiries and ordering
-Cash handling procedures (petty cash, opening and closing the building, counting floats)
-Handling Business Accounts
-Merchandising using the company standard
-Shipping and receiving ( proper procedures of executing incoming shipments effectively and efficiently)
-Leadership courses
-Reinforcing the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
-Up selling and add on
Plus much more!

Great place to work and grow
Mark's in Espanola is a very friendly store to work at.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ONJanuary 20, 2015
Working at Mark's is a very enjoyable place to work, there is always something to learn in the job with the changes that are continuing to happen. My co-workers are the best, we laugh when we can and when it comes to work, we work together and get things done on time making sure the product is out and displayed properly. A typical day at work for me is to go in read the daily input so we know what and if there are changes being made, then i will start with replenishing if need be or cleaning, and look after the customers and help them with their choices and sell it to them. ( If they want it )
The most enjoyable part of my job there is to interact with the customers and help them learn what all our product is all about.
Pros
the employe discount
Cons
the lack of hours
Nice coworkers, no structure
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
This was an ok job. The people here are really nice. Mark's is very much all about pleasing the customer which is nice and cute until it makes things confusing, especially when it comes to things like the return policy. At the store I worked at nobody ever seemed to be on the same page, what the Manager said was different from what the Assistant Manager said which was also different from what the supervisor would say. Another major problem was many MANY times in almost every shift there was only ever 3 or 2 of us closing which made it hard to get things done or catch thefts.
Pros
Chill and nice coworkers, if there are hours available and you ask for them they will probably be given to you.
Cons
Availability was never taken into consideration when building schedule.
Friendly, fun and a great learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day at work is to prepare the store for opening. Along the day, I am mostly working at the tills. Others times I'd either unbox, restock and neatly tidy merchandise for the sales floor and providing any assistance to customers while doing so.
I love my co-workers. They make my work experience even more amazing. Everyone gets along so well. The management is great; they listen to you, care about your well being and very easy to talk to.
The hardest part of the job is when it gets very, very busy but I learn to handle the situations in the best way possible.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that everyone gets along. We help and support each other all the time. I believe that's important coming into a workplace.
Productive and Fun place to work and grow as a person and as a good worker.
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 11, 2013
Lot of work to be done every day.
I have learned many different things, from stocking to set up flyers, and events, executing CIP's, merchandising products always, and more, and more...
Every year the store changes the Manager (Corporate Policies), but so far I have met three, and the three of them have thought me something.
My co-workers are good in general, and also is not difficult to make a friend among them.
Hardest part of the job, is finishing with the taks for the day, there is always something else to do, you don't get bored ever!
Most enjoyable is, we have fun while working, but without forgetting Customer Service.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
non fix shifts
A perfect entry to retail
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2012
Working at Mark's ensured that everyday is different, no such thing as a typical day. A smaller size store requires its employees to be diverse and ready to dive into any role at anytime.
One learns to be the sales associate that attracts the customers attention to a cashier that ends the sales. You learn to be a multitasker because having 3-4 people working one shift means everyone is doing several jobs at one time but also ensuring that each job is done properly. The hardest part of the job was to quit because I enjoyed working there. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers and all the of the friends I made.
Fast past and constantly changing
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONDecember 20, 2013
I would walk the store at beginning of every day planning what needed to be done and what was completed from previous list address any urgent issues so that the store would look its best as the first customer comes in. I would complete all transfers and debits daily also receive all of previous days orders then prepare the cashes and store for opening . I also was the district customer service rep therefore having meeting with store operators that were struggling with some customer service relations. During the day would take most calls coming in and would address any concerns from staff and customers.
do not work at white oaks
visual merchandiser (Former Employee) –  white oaks, edmonton abOctober 28, 2014
worked at white oaks square...management is poor! If i was the owner of this store i would have had all the women supervisor canned or demoted. Store is a mess, back room un organized stuff all over the place. In my short time got terminated, in which i had many years as a merchandiser or a visual merchThe reason was not working out BS. I thought i would apply close to home, big mistake. Stay away from this store. Like i said you are working with mainly woman.
Pros
no pros about this place
Cons
management stinks, no communication between management and employee, they dont tell you if you are doing a good jobnot a good place. e
Slow paced, but fun nonetheless
Key holder (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, ONFebruary 14, 2013
Mark's Work Wearhouse was a very slow paced job. This was mainly because it's in Chelmsford, which is such a small town, and it's inside of Canadian Tire (pretty secluded). It taught me how to really value every person that came through the door and to create things to keep me busy when there really didn't seem to be anything.
My coworkers are very likable, and although I saw a few of them leave and others start, it was nice to meet them all.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing new faces every day. It was pretty refreshing.
Pros
people, products, discount, environment
Cons
slow days, some drama
Slow paced, but fun nonetheless
Key holder (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, ONFebruary 14, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing new faces every day. It was quite refreshing.
Pros
people, products, discount, environment
Cons
slow days, some drama
productive and fun work place
clerk/cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ONJuly 30, 2012
I was looking foward to everyday of work at Mark's Work Wearhouse. The team was great and the clients were so much fun to take care of.
My co-workers were very efficient. They have helped me along the way and they were very pleasent to work with and that goes for the manager and assistant manager as well.
The hardest part of the job was to learn (at the beginning) their programs on the computer but once I understood it everything was great. I really miss the team at Mark's Work Wearhouse and I really hope to see them again soon.
Pros
everyone got along great
Cons
scheduale changes
I loved my job when I started
Visual Merchandiser/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 5, 2013
I absolutely loved my job until my third manager started. She and the following three had zero trust for their employees. Half of the staff was fired on suspicion of stealing with no proof, the other half quit because management made them feel like they were doing something wrong. In the three years I worked there, I was the only consistent employee. There were six different managers in that time and I don't even know how many employees - most did not stay more than a couple of months. Apart from all of that drama, it was fun. I loved merchandising.
Great place to work, and learn
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NBNovember 4, 2012
opening and closing the store, training new employees, learned how to merchandise clothing, and displays. Management, were awesome, always offering helpful hints and advice on how to deal with customers. Co workers were a lot of fun, we could always work and have fun and have a great day. The hardest part of the job was to be able to merchandise and find space for the new stock in an already full store. I loved the demands on my time and mind of trying to complete my tasks.
Pros
busy, always different things to do, regular customers
Cons
dealing with hard customers