Mark's Employee Reviews

Steadily advancing retail company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON18 January 2017
Marks is a subsidiary of the Canadian Tire family of companies. It is a fast paced retail environment that is steadily growing in popularity in Canada.

If you enjoy a fast paced, customer-centric environment, and are interested in being part of a growing company: Marks may be the right fit for you.
It was a place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 January 2017
Once upon a time this was a great place to work, but since 2014 it really went downhill and that is why i left. Management has changed since 2016, but if your okay with a Tempered employer then go for it! otherwise a lot of people who work there are absolutely amazing!!
Pros
Hours, People.
Cons
Customers and Management can be a rude environment.
A fun, forward thinking company to work for.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL17 January 2017
I was able to rise quickly into a management position, and gained valuable experience in a leadership position that I will use in my career. The support network and training they provide is fantastic.
Good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC17 January 2017
Customer service is a major part, plus cleaning. I worked in the back and also did merchandising, co workers are very friendly.
I have enjoyed my employment with Mark's
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 January 2017
I usually open with a co-worker at 7 am. We replenish the stock and I am responsible for processing on-line orders. We open the store at 8 am
I have learned a great deal about retail sales. I have learned about moving the stock around and becoming familiar with our products.
I enjoy my co-workers. It has been enjoyable learning from and then being able to share things I have learned with new employees.
I have learned that there is a great deal of physical work involved in running a retail store.
The hardest part of this job is finding evidence that a customer has come in and stolen something from the store.
I enjoy my work and my co-workers. My favorite interactions are with customers, who come into the store and then leave expressing their gratitude to me for helping them. I love it when I can make a positive difference in their lives.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
the lunchroom is a little small
coworkers and boss were great.
Stock/ organizer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 January 2017
coworkers and boss were great , it was good working there although don't work there if your pregnant because if the store is busy u will only get 1 15 min break for lunch and will not be able to sit at all on ur 9 hr shift or able to get a drink and your rushed to go to the washroom or told to hold it .
Pros
fun clothing days
Cons
neglect to pregnant woman
Great, family oriented environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
While there is a lot of information to grasp about the innovative products, the job itself if generally low pressure. The customers that shop at Mark's are usually regulars and already know what they are looking for which makes the job less about getting a sale and more about building rapport. There is always a sale going on, and the company does a great job of informing people about the great deals being offered, making the customers more informed than the average shopper, which is a good thing. Co-workers and managers were all very knowledgeable and supportive of your growth, very family oriented environment. The hardest part of the job are the big sale days when everything is basically half off, this can be a bit stressful as the stores usually don't have a large staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the relationships you build with customers over time who not only come to trust you but seek you out to help make the right decisions. very satisfying.
Pros
very flexible, great management, great products
Cons
no commission
fast paste work environment
Stock Person (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 December 2016
it was fast paste and vastly different from what i was used to doing
but i am good at adapting to the environment and i learn quickly so i did good while i was there.
Supervisor Issue
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK4 October 2016
Loved the company Mark's but not the supervisor based on the fact she was to buddy, buddy with some of her employees and I watched those certain employees get away with allot. Example: Adult woman bullying a young mom employee and discussion on how their Part Night went in front of other employees. But over all the company it's self was great place to work for!
Pros
Training and advancement
Cons
Nothing done with poor staff and supervisor
Productive, Many skills learnt
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 October 2016
Busy or slow there is always something to do. Customers were always very nice and I learnt a lot being in different departments of the store. It was a very fun workplace.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
limited hours
Ok place to work don't plan on any weekends off
Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina24 September 2016
Was a manager for 4 years, not a lot of work life balance. Expected to be in store more evening shifts than day shifts. Salary and benefits comparable to the industry
Fast fun paced environment
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB8 September 2016
-Enjoyed my co-workers
-Management was nice, helpful and encouraging
-Getting to talk and satisfy customers with their needs
-Getting the right training and knowledge for the job position
nice place for the beginner
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 September 2016
Nice place to enhance communication skill including learn customer service skill. If anyone want to build career at retail, Mark's would be the right place for starter.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 August 2016
Mark's in Whitecourt was like a second home to me, not because of how often I was working but because my co-workers had become a second family to me. They taught me a lot, from dealing with customers to learning about clothes and different work requirements for customers and everything in between.
loved working for them
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint-basile, QC6 August 2016
good working condition. Work hard, loved all the parts of my job, a challenge of everyday. the contact with customers. Resolving problems. Having the liberty of making your own decision following the guide of Marks.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
store closed
High expectations, low ressources
Store General Manager (Former Employee) –  St.-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC2 August 2016
Have you ever heard the expression: ''Lots of chiefs, not enough indians''? Thats is what sums up my experience at Mark's Work Wearhouse.

Short staffed all the time, way too many Audits, merchandising and business accounts tasks for the quantity of hours allocated.

The customer was always a priority but too often had to be set aside to complete tasks in the given time frame.

No communication towards higher levels. Too many people visiting the stores setting priorities of their own without communications between them.

The only full time employees are two management staff per store, all others are minimum salary part time employees with no social benefits.

In the face of mathematical impossibility to complete all tasks in time, without sacrificing customer service and sales, managers get slammed with disciplinary measures and either demoted or layed off if unable to comply.

Very high staff replacement rate.
Pros
Very good social benefits for management, SGM conventions, employee rebate/
Cons
Very low ressources. high pressure for tasks and audits.
Great staff no hours horriable managment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  High River, AB12 July 2016
I enjoyd at first working for marks. At first there were great hours and the staff seemed friendly as well as managent. Typical retail handing cash, replenishment so on. As it was a new store we had lots of hours to start out with witch was great. After Christmas they cut your hours to maybe 5 hours a week as a shift leader? There's alot of playing favorites in the company. If they don't like you, you don't work. Seems friendly until you leave them there Is alot of disrespect. Students get more hours a week then people trying to make a living. At marks word for word "your a robot"
You think due to no hours you don't work with the company... then after two months and all knowledge lost they call you to come in and work . Bs store don't work here.
Pros
Cons
No hours, poor management, poor pay, favorite playing
An okay place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario6 July 2016
There is a never ending list of stuff do. It'd a good job if you're an associate but once you go above that it gets stressful. Company does a terrible job at executing sales and are constantly making mistakes. Pay is minimal and doesn't go up much. You get free snacks around Christmas. This job will teach you how to handle a lot of different situations and how to adapt
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Understaffed
fun workplace, great environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 July 2016
great management team, the employees were awesome to work with also. the hours were good I was satisfied working there. I learned that building personal relationships with customers improves buisness and public relations. I really loved working in the morning and when the store was busy.
Pros
caring and understanding employees
Cons
lots of theft from customers
A typical day at marks
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 June 2016
Mark's is a clothing company that is directed towards "working" men and women. These jobs can include hard labour such as construction or even desk jobs such as receptionists. Mark's caters towards every lifestyle. A typical day at work includes running the cash, working on UPT , along with folding clothes and aiding customers. One learns how to multitask and work under pressure as it can get very busy. For the past 6 years I have learned a lot about retail and there has been its pros and cons. Pros being making strong and lasting friendships with your co-workers, and cons being dealing with hard customers and situations. The only part about mark's that needs to change is its management. It has gone completely down hill since when I first started, and I have found that the current management at mark's is not meeting the correct requirements or standards. Changes need to be made, as more and more people (i have found are leaving) due to these reoccurring issues such as not understanding that school comes first. Other than that, Mark's clothes are excellent quality, long lasting and very stylish.
Pros
excellent co-workers and clothes and hours
Cons
management not being understanding

2.9