Mark's Employee Reviews

decent workplace
Sales associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 April 2017
assisted customers in finding work related products as well as casual clothing. Management was sometimes strict in terms of taking time off and it was difficult to balance school and work.
Unfit management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2017
HIGH Turnover
horrible management, wierd priorities, untrustworthy, not doing what is asked and passing off jobs to employees, not keeping the books or store organized. No hours, no time off when needed (sick days), disorganized store and miscommunication between managers which resulted in confusion with the schedule.

i did however gain knowledge on how to fit customers with boots and clothing that was right for their work environment.

The hardest part was turning customers down for returns because they had already warn their boots/clothing past warranty.

The best part was the people that I worked with that weren't managers, and having a department to myself.

At West Edmonton Mall, there was barely a working toilet, always rotten food in the fridge, the construction leaked drywall cement into our staff room, the roof leaked and got clothing moldy, which we were then told we had to sell. The back room was a disaster because it was so small.
I really like working at Marks
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 March 2017
In a typical day at work: Open and close the store, open and closing tills, organize my team for daily duties, breaks and Plan for sales. Check our previous sales and make our goal, check inventories, help customers, organize visual standards changes, plan for the week or the weekends and events (I love events).

I learned about clothing and shoes and safety gear, how to budget, make schedules, dealing with difficult customers and complaints, employees concerns.

In my opinion, the management does a good job overall, but I feel there is a lack of presence on the floor.

Due mostly to low pay causing high employee turn around, we have to train frequently and have inexperienced workers which contribute to less time to focus on customer service and job duties.

The hardest part of the job will be not having enough staff or properly trained staff to help customers and replenish the floor so we end up behind sometimes.

I love the way that we have to do the change of fashion for every season = new product, the visual standards, the way that they do flyers, sales and clearance.
Management favoritisme
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON22 March 2017
The management often treats employees by picking favorites. I've worked there for two years and get barely any hours when people just hired get plenty, also I am not the only employee who has this issue. Management also doesn't listen to employees. This job is not a good job and all employees complain about hating it and also can't wait to leave. I do not suggest applying to work at Marks. Lastly management discriminates against mental health, I have been told to control my mental health or I'd be terminated.
Pros
Literally nothing
Cons
Everything including the panic attacks.
Productive and fun with varying jobs to do. Never be bored.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL8 March 2017
Nice place to work. Usually was a family feel. Love the products and the direction of the company. There is always a challenge and you will have lots of various tasks to keep you from being bored.
Pros
Good discount. Awesome manager meetings
Productive place work
Sales Associate/ Shipper Receiver (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC6 March 2017
I started at Mark's Workwearhouse as a sales associate. As part of a team we were responsible for receiving and processing merchandise before we put the merchandise on the floor.
Shortly after I started at Mark's I was asked if I wanted to assume the role of shipper/receiver. My main responsibility was to check the bills of ladings and make sure the information was accurate. I was also in charge of two stockrooms. They had to be cleaned and organized at all times. The month before inventory I had to make sure that the inventory application on my computer was correct. This involved going back over the bills of lading and double if not triple checking them. The day of inventory I had to be in the store two hours before the inventory and stay until management was satisfied that inventory was complete
Pros
realtionship with customer or guests
not people, people
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 February 2017
new culture is letting customers be greeted but not helped.. unreasonable expectations. disrespectful coaching and speaking to employees. very unorganized
only seasonal
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 February 2017
I didn't work here very long, the lob was only seasonal. Enjoyed the customers and the other staff were friendly and helpful.
Great Place to Work!
Merchandiser/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 January 2017
Great retail experience; the staff make it a great place to work and the job is diverse so there's no risk of ever getting bored. One day you could be working cash, the next on boot deck, and the next day putting stock out. Supervisors trust you to reset displays and put out new product with minimal supervision, but are always there for questions. Hours during the winter after christmas season are low but that's normal for retail because sales are lower. Incredible discount and a fun place to work.
Pros
Discount, variety in tasks, food on events
Cons
lower hours in off season
Daily tasks mostly customer service
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Perth, ON27 January 2017
typical day check task of day ie. change in price markdowns (CIP)
Clean and tidy sections of store ie. Mens department , womens , industrial wear, shoes.
new computer systems
recently changed management
hardest part of job mostly rude customers or people that wont listen
most enjoyable-employees
Pros
staff discount
Great Place to Work During School
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 January 2017
4/5

This location is small , but an easy going place to work. Mostly Pt hours are given. Training was very informal on innovations in products & safety
Pros
Great staff, great employee discount
Cons
N/a
Good for your very first job. Not much room for advancement or raises.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 January 2017
A typical day at Mark's involves helping customers find clothing, folding and maintaining clothing displays, and cashing out any customers with a purchase.

Working here will teach you patience, the ability to work in a team, and some understanding of clothing specifics.

The work environment is sometimes speedy but may differ depending on the location. Most of the time it is somewhat laid back and very friendly.

The hardest part of the job is learning about the products that are sold and where they are located in the store.
Pros
Very welcoming enviorment
Cons
Pay did not increase with effort or time
Steadily advancing retail company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON18 January 2017
Marks is a subsidiary of the Canadian Tire family of companies. It is a fast paced retail environment that is steadily growing in popularity in Canada.

If you enjoy a fast paced, customer-centric environment, and are interested in being part of a growing company: Marks may be the right fit for you.
It was a place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 January 2017
Once upon a time this was a great place to work, but since 2014 it really went downhill and that is why i left. Management has changed since 2016, but if your okay with a Tempered employer then go for it! otherwise a lot of people who work there are absolutely amazing!!
Pros
Hours, People.
Cons
Customers and Management can be a rude environment.
A fun, forward thinking company to work for.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL17 January 2017
I was able to rise quickly into a management position, and gained valuable experience in a leadership position that I will use in my career. The support network and training they provide is fantastic.
Good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC17 January 2017
Customer service is a major part, plus cleaning. I worked in the back and also did merchandising, co workers are very friendly.
I have enjoyed my employment with Mark's
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 January 2017
I usually open with a co-worker at 7 am. We replenish the stock and I am responsible for processing on-line orders. We open the store at 8 am
I have learned a great deal about retail sales. I have learned about moving the stock around and becoming familiar with our products.
I enjoy my co-workers. It has been enjoyable learning from and then being able to share things I have learned with new employees.
I have learned that there is a great deal of physical work involved in running a retail store.
The hardest part of this job is finding evidence that a customer has come in and stolen something from the store.
I enjoy my work and my co-workers. My favorite interactions are with customers, who come into the store and then leave expressing their gratitude to me for helping them. I love it when I can make a positive difference in their lives.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
the lunchroom is a little small
coworkers and boss were great.
Stock/ organizer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 January 2017
coworkers and boss were great , it was good working there although don't work there if your pregnant because if the store is busy u will only get 1 15 min break for lunch and will not be able to sit at all on ur 9 hr shift or able to get a drink and your rushed to go to the washroom or told to hold it .
Pros
fun clothing days
Cons
neglect to pregnant woman
Great, family oriented environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
While there is a lot of information to grasp about the innovative products, the job itself if generally low pressure. The customers that shop at Mark's are usually regulars and already know what they are looking for which makes the job less about getting a sale and more about building rapport. There is always a sale going on, and the company does a great job of informing people about the great deals being offered, making the customers more informed than the average shopper, which is a good thing. Co-workers and managers were all very knowledgeable and supportive of your growth, very family oriented environment. The hardest part of the job are the big sale days when everything is basically half off, this can be a bit stressful as the stores usually don't have a large staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the relationships you build with customers over time who not only come to trust you but seek you out to help make the right decisions. very satisfying.
Pros
very flexible, great management, great products
Cons
no commission
fast paste work environment
Stock Person (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 December 2016
it was fast paste and vastly different from what i was used to doing
but i am good at adapting to the environment and i learn quickly so i did good while i was there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8