Mark's

Mark's Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Place to work, exceptional service driven leadership
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), CalgaryJuly 24, 2014
Working for Mark's for many years, roughly 8 years. Through this time I started as a part time employee, through to Merchandise Associate, Shipper Receiver, up to Assistant Manager of Merchandising as well as Assistant Manager of Customer Service.

Tasks were are listed;
-Exceptional Customer service skills
-Using computer systems for customer inquiries – more... and ordering
-Cash handling procedures (petty cash, opening and closing the building, counting floats)
-Handling Business Accounts
-Merchandising using the company standard
-Shipping and receiving ( proper procedures of executing incoming shipments effectively and efficiently)
-Leadership courses
-Reinforcing the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
-Up selling and add on
Plus much more!

Great place to work and grow – less
Amazing Company to Work For.
Merchandiser, Sales Associate (Former Employee), Grimsby, St CatharinesJuly 23, 2014
People are just amazing. Work atmosphere is very mellow and relaxed, but work is always done.
Fun Place To Work
Customer Service Bedford (Current Employee), Bedford, NSJune 30, 2014
The staff are great and customers are fun to deal with. If there is ever any questions to be answered there is always someone there to answer it.
Been with the company since 2008. Making minimum wage. $$
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa West, ONJune 20, 2014
Pros: 40% discount on regular priced merchandise, limited to $2000 per year $3000 per year for store operators
Cons: wage
Not a great place to work if you're looking for advancement...& really, unless you are a student...who wouldn't want advancement? I have been with the company since 2008 working at 2 different locations throughout those years. Now that minimum wage increased to $11/h I received a 0.04 cent increase (woohoo) and I now make the same hourly wage as the – more... 'new guy'. I won't be with this company much longer for this reason alone. Apparently spending 1.2 million dollars in advertisement on a Father's Day weekend event is more crucial than keeping their long time, loyal employees happy. Way to go. Hours are a complete joke unless you are the Store operator or assistant store operator (37.5h per week). Everyone else gets from 3-22 hours per week unless you are a shift leader you will average around 20-30h/week. And then Xmas time comes around and all of these 'seasonal' employees are hired for extra help but then it's too much of a hassle to get rid of them once the Christmas season is over so we keep them employed and lower everyone else's hours to about 9/h per week & then get a little outraged when I pick up a 2nd job because I can't make ends meet. End rant. So long marks. – less
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2014
A lot of favouritism and discrimination in career advancement,scheduled hours and wages.No wonder quiting rate is very high.
Under staffing and over working staff members during their shifts.
Great place to work at- unless you want to move up the ladder quickly
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 24, 2014
Pros: you're all family, 40% employee discount
Cons: demanding customers, difficult associates from other stores
A typical day at work here at MWW involves cleaning up my Industrial department and serving customers. On busy days, some tasks will have to be put on hold in favor of customer service. The job is great, though it is difficult to ask for a raise.
My department managers are really good and very understanding, as they are on the floor with the sales associates – more... so they know what's going on at all times. The most difficult aspect of the job would be pleasing customers- the Inventory Lookup system is often very inaccurate because Mark's is often a target for thefts. Due to this setup, and the fact that Mark's does inventory only once a year, the Inventory lookup system will say that a certain store will have a large number of a certain item when in fact, it does not. This would often irritate the sales associate on the other side as they do not think that the store being called is searching thoroughly enough. Another thing is employees are often not made aware of recalls, so these associates very often have no clue why a certain item has disappeared for a long time. Certain customers are also very difficult to please and would blow off steam on the sales associate.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting genuine people who I would frequently have long conversations with, ranging from topics about food, life, and their jobs. I have met some of the most interesting people I never thought I'd ever meet- from a Mexican pilot to a guy who accidentally stabbed himself in the abdomen with a welding torch, the amount of interesting individuals that go through the doors of MWW is never ending. My favorite thing about MWW though, is that it's a small store. By that, I mean that it's not like a large department store where everyone would be strangers even after a year of working there. The associates know and understand each other- like a little big family. As much as I dislike some aspects of the job, my little big family at Mark's makes my day a lot more bearable, even on my worst days. – less
it is a slow paced environment to work in.
Stockroom Leader (Former Employee), White RockMay 16, 2014
I had a great time here mainly because of the people that I worked with but it was pretty boring.
Really Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 29, 2014
Pros: 40% discount, rewarded by management
Cons: very hard to advance, slim hours, no commission
I worked at Mark's for two years. Because of the generally older demographic that shops there, customer service is stressed constantly by management - which really helped make me the great salesman I am today.

Though it builds a lot of skill, there's certainly a ton of work that needs to be done to maintain a store that's 12,000+ sq ft with a small – more... team. At times I felt I was being a little bit underpaid, and only ever got a 25 cent raise for my efforts.

Management at the Oshawa Centre store is incredible. I was rewarded multiple times for my efforts straight from the manager's pocket, via gift cards etc. Management at the North Oshawa store was just ok though. They have a 'holier than thou' attitude at that store, and expect employees to go way way way to far above for no reward. I was once asked to stay a half hour later to clean, only to figure out on my next pay check I wasn't even paid for it. I've had to wait around for 20 minutes past the end of my shift while the manager zipped up jackets and demanded we clean the store to perfection before leaving, which I once again was not compensated for.

Overall it's a good place to work. They will work you to the bone, and as states above, have very very high expectations for customer service. Don't really expect any advancement in the company. In my two years I saw one person get promoted from within, and I myself, despite constantly being a top performer, was never promoted to shift leader.

Side notes: the discount is 40% and you have a cap of about $1500, which friends and family
can use as well. They're service rating system 'J-Score' is mathematically incorrect, (a 5-star and a 3-star gives the store a rating of 2-star instead of 4-star) which always bugged me. – less
Productive and fun place to wrok
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Pickering, OnMarch 18, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: too much stock at winter season
Product knowledge is everything in this store. Learned about all the products and how they work for all customers. The hardest part of the job was making sure every customer was greeted and helped with the limit of staff hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with your coworkers, they made the day.
Awesome co-workers, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABMarch 14, 2014
Pros: great customers
Cons: terrible management
The people I worked with were awesome, and some of the regular customers were great to get to know. The company and management, however, is horrible. All of the staff I had worked with (some who have been there for 3+ years) all quit when they hired a new manager with no previous experience with managing, the company OR even clothing retail. Too much – more... blame put on the sales associates, not enough on poor managing. – less
Great Co-Workers but thats about all.
Shift Leader/ Coordinator (Former Employee), Niagara AreaFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: work hard for nothing
Co-Workers are great, but thats all for Marks. Dont expect any advancements unless you kiss butt.
A straightforward retail job with a great team
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cobourg, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Marks is a great company. Their IT department really knows what it is doing, and as a result their in-house inventory and ordering systems work surprisingly well. This makes the non-standard retail part of the job quite easy, and really simplifies the task of surprising the customer and making them happy.

The team at Marks was a joy to work with. For – more... the most part there wasn't too much drama, and they were well organized and good at communicating.

That being said, Mark's is still a retail position, and as such has a host of irritating aspects. Constant standing, occasionally condescending middle management, angry customers and a fair amount of passive aggressive break time scheduling mean that some days could be quite stressful. Also, Christmas music.

Overall, I'd characterize Mark's as the best of the retail jobs. Nearly 0 responsibility outside of showing up and folding clothes, good corporate policymaking, and a great discount. It is boring, but it isn't bad. – less
fun workplace where you felt apart of a family
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: free food in break room
Cons: long hours
everyday there was something new to work on with new challenges. my Coworkers were very nice and made me feel welcomed. the hardest part was remembering everyone's names. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting a lot of very nice people that I will keep in contact with for a long time.
People, Product, and Presentation!!
Store Manager (Current Employee), Aurora, ONJanuary 21, 2014
A excellent company to work for and who truly believe the core value of customer service.
We strive on People, Product and Presentation.
It is as I have a second family to attend to everyday!!
Fast past and constantly changing
Store Manager (Former Employee), Timmins, ONDecember 20, 2013
I would walk the store at beginning of every day planning what needed to be done and what was completed from previous list address any urgent issues so that the store would look its best as the first customer comes in. I would complete all transfers and debits daily also receive all of previous days orders then prepare the cashes and store for opening – more... . I also was the district customer service rep therefore having meeting with store operators that were struggling with some customer service relations. During the day would take most calls coming in and would address any concerns from staff and customers. – less
Boss was nice
Cashier (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCDecember 6, 2013
Pros: sometimes we got our bonus cards
Cons: not enough hours
not enough hours are given, they are very nice to each other but lots of gossip
Sales Clerk, Cashier, Stock and Floor Attendant (Former Employee), Orleans, ONOctober 16, 2013
Comfortable working enviroment, good working hours and nice bosses.
Store receiver
Receiver / Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Halifax, Nova ScotiaOctober 3, 2013
Was responsible for stock ordering, monitoring and receiving of deliveries. Organizing stock, and displaying it.
A company trying to find its way
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), CanadaSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: in store staff if chosen properly can create a great work environment
Cons: pay, work hours, disorganized upper management
New management is working hard to get the stores up and running properly. With sometimes odd choices of direction and misinformation. The pay grade is not equivalent to the amount of work needed.
Challenge
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Airdrie, ABSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: too many shifts to not enough shifts
I do love working with my co-workers, although the job its self is challenging.

1 2 3 4

About Mark's

In the crowded apparel market, Mark's stands out for its commitment to comfort, quality, style, and innovation. Though their roots – Read more