Mark's Employee Review

Really Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 March 2014
I worked at Mark's for two years. Because of the generally older demographic that shops there, customer service is stressed constantly by management - which really helped make me the great salesman I am today.

Though it builds a lot of skill, there's certainly a ton of work that needs to be done to maintain a store that's 12,000+ sq ft with a small team. At times I felt I was being a little bit underpaid, and only ever got a 25 cent raise for my efforts.

Management at the Oshawa Centre store is incredible. I was rewarded multiple times for my efforts straight from the manager's pocket, via gift cards etc. Management at the North Oshawa store was just ok though. They have a 'holier than thou' attitude at that store, and expect employees to go way way way to far above for no reward. I was once asked to stay a half hour later to clean, only to figure out on my next pay check I wasn't even paid for it. I've had to wait around for 20 minutes past the end of my shift while the manager zipped up jackets and demanded we clean the store to perfection before leaving, which I once again was not compensated for.

Overall it's a good place to work. They will work you to the bone, and as states above, have very very high expectations for customer service. Don't really expect any advancement in the company. In my two years I saw one person get promoted from within, and I myself, despite constantly being a top performer, was never promoted to shift leader.

Side notes: the discount is 40% and you have a cap of about $1500, which friends and family
can use as well. They're service
  more... rating system 'J-Score' is mathematically incorrect, (a 5-star and a 3-star gives the store a rating of 2-star instead of 4-star) which always bugged me.  less
Pros
40% discount, rewarded by management
Cons
Very hard to advance, slim hours, no commission

Other Mark's Employee Reviews

Good people
Manager - Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 February 2018
The people make mark's and the Canadian Tire Group of companies what it is and they treat their people with respect and understand the need for personal time and that to succeed in business you work force must also succeed.
It is a great place with a variety of awesome co-workers
Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 February 2018
Depending on the day, weather and season Marks can be either fun, stressful or boring. I started working there in August of 2017 and so far I love it. I'm responsible for the mens jeans/pants/dress shirts and it keeps me constantly busy, which I love. We occasionally get a few characters in the store but mostly the customers are just strangers but customers who we are there to serve. During the Christmas season it can get really busy but it forces you to hurry, which I like. At my Marks the managers are awesome but peculiar in their own ways. There is one who closes really fast which is good because I'm usually closing and there is one who takes a really long time but I guess those kinds of people are everywhere.
Pros
the breaks. for a 8 hour shift its 2 15 minute breaks and one half an hour
Cons
A few of the customers are characters so you have to be prepared

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.