Mark's Employee Review

Really Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 March 2014
I worked at Mark's for two years. Because of the generally older demographic that shops there, customer service is stressed constantly by management - which really helped make me the great salesman I am today.

Though it builds a lot of skill, there's certainly a ton of work that needs to be done to maintain a store that's 12,000+ sq ft with a small team. At times I felt I was being a little bit underpaid, and only ever got a 25 cent raise for my efforts.

Management at the Oshawa Centre store is incredible. I was rewarded multiple times for my efforts straight from the manager's pocket, via gift cards etc. Management at the North Oshawa store was just ok though. They have a 'holier than thou' attitude at that store, and expect employees to go way way way to far above for no reward. I was once asked to stay a half hour later to clean, only to figure out on my next pay check I wasn't even paid for it. I've had to wait around for 20 minutes past the end of my shift while the manager zipped up jackets and demanded we clean the store to perfection before leaving, which I once again was not compensated for.

Overall it's a good place to work. They will work you to the bone, and as states above, have very very high expectations for customer service. Don't really expect any advancement in the company. In my two years I saw one person get promoted from within, and I myself, despite constantly being a top performer, was never promoted to shift leader.

Side notes: the discount is 40% and you have a cap of about $1500, which friends and family
can use as well. They're service
  more... rating system 'J-Score' is mathematically incorrect, (a 5-star and a 3-star gives the store a rating of 2-star instead of 4-star) which always bugged me.  less
Pros
40% discount, rewarded by management
Cons
Very hard to advance, slim hours, no commission

Other Mark's Employee Reviews

Sales duties (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC14 November 2017
This place was a great place to work at. I enjoyed the people I worked with and my customers. I learned alot in customer service and the duties of my job where demanding.
Fun Environment
Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2017
I learnt a lot about clothing sales which was new to me. The flexible hours were great and the people were awesome to work with. This was a fast pace environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8