Mark's Employee Reviews

not people, people
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 February 2017
new culture is letting customers be greeted but not helped.. unreasonable expectations. disrespectful coaching and speaking to employees. very unorganized
Great Place to Work!
Merchandiser/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 January 2017
Great retail experience; the staff make it a great place to work and the job is diverse so there's no risk of ever getting bored. One day you could be working cash, the next on boot deck, and the next day putting stock out. Supervisors trust you to reset displays and put out new product with minimal supervision, but are always there for questions. Hours during the winter after christmas season are low but that's normal for retail because sales are lower. Incredible discount and a fun place to work.
Pros
Discount, variety in tasks, food on events
Cons
lower hours in off season
Daily tasks mostly customer service
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Perth, ON27 January 2017
typical day check task of day ie. change in price markdowns (CIP)
Clean and tidy sections of store ie. Mens department , womens , industrial wear, shoes.
new computer systems
recently changed management
hardest part of job mostly rude customers or people that wont listen
most enjoyable-employees
Pros
staff discount
Great Place to Work During School
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 January 2017
4/5

This location is small , but an easy going place to work. Mostly Pt hours are given. Training was very informal on innovations in products & safety
Pros
Great staff, great employee discount
Cons
N/a
Good for your very first job. Not much room for advancement or raises.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 January 2017
A typical day at Mark's involves helping customers find clothing, folding and maintaining clothing displays, and cashing out any customers with a purchase.

Working here will teach you patience, the ability to work in a team, and some understanding of clothing specifics.

The work environment is sometimes speedy but may differ depending on the location. Most of the time it is somewhat laid back and very friendly.

The hardest part of the job is learning about the products that are sold and where they are located in the store.
Pros
Very welcoming enviorment
Cons
Pay did not increase with effort or time
Steadily advancing retail company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON18 January 2017
Marks is a subsidiary of the Canadian Tire family of companies. It is a fast paced retail environment that is steadily growing in popularity in Canada.

If you enjoy a fast paced, customer-centric environment, and are interested in being part of a growing company: Marks may be the right fit for you.
It was a place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 January 2017
Once upon a time this was a great place to work, but since 2014 it really went downhill and that is why i left. Management has changed since 2016, but if your okay with a Tempered employer then go for it! otherwise a lot of people who work there are absolutely amazing!!
Pros
Hours, People.
Cons
Customers and Management can be a rude environment.
A fun, forward thinking company to work for.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL17 January 2017
I was able to rise quickly into a management position, and gained valuable experience in a leadership position that I will use in my career. The support network and training they provide is fantastic.
Good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC17 January 2017
Customer service is a major part, plus cleaning. I worked in the back and also did merchandising, co workers are very friendly.
I have enjoyed my employment with Mark's
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 January 2017
I usually open with a co-worker at 7 am. We replenish the stock and I am responsible for processing on-line orders. We open the store at 8 am
I have learned a great deal about retail sales. I have learned about moving the stock around and becoming familiar with our products.
I enjoy my co-workers. It has been enjoyable learning from and then being able to share things I have learned with new employees.
I have learned that there is a great deal of physical work involved in running a retail store.
The hardest part of this job is finding evidence that a customer has come in and stolen something from the store.
I enjoy my work and my co-workers. My favorite interactions are with customers, who come into the store and then leave expressing their gratitude to me for helping them. I love it when I can make a positive difference in their lives.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
the lunchroom is a little small
coworkers and boss were great.
Stock/ organizer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 January 2017
coworkers and boss were great , it was good working there although don't work there if your pregnant because if the store is busy u will only get 1 15 min break for lunch and will not be able to sit at all on ur 9 hr shift or able to get a drink and your rushed to go to the washroom or told to hold it .
Pros
fun clothing days
Cons
neglect to pregnant woman
Great, family oriented environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
While there is a lot of information to grasp about the innovative products, the job itself if generally low pressure. The customers that shop at Mark's are usually regulars and already know what they are looking for which makes the job less about getting a sale and more about building rapport. There is always a sale going on, and the company does a great job of informing people about the great deals being offered, making the customers more informed than the average shopper, which is a good thing. Co-workers and managers were all very knowledgeable and supportive of your growth, very family oriented environment. The hardest part of the job are the big sale days when everything is basically half off, this can be a bit stressful as the stores usually don't have a large staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the relationships you build with customers over time who not only come to trust you but seek you out to help make the right decisions. very satisfying.
Pros
very flexible, great management, great products
Cons
no commission
fast paste work environment
Stock Person (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 December 2016
it was fast paste and vastly different from what i was used to doing
but i am good at adapting to the environment and i learn quickly so i did good while i was there.
Supervisor Issue
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK4 October 2016
Loved the company Mark's but not the supervisor based on the fact she was to buddy, buddy with some of her employees and I watched those certain employees get away with allot. Example: Adult woman bullying a young mom employee and discussion on how their Part Night went in front of other employees. But over all the company it's self was great place to work for!
Pros
Training and advancement
Cons
Nothing done with poor staff and supervisor
Productive, Many skills learnt
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 October 2016
Busy or slow there is always something to do. Customers were always very nice and I learnt a lot being in different departments of the store. It was a very fun workplace.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
limited hours
Ok place to work don't plan on any weekends off
Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina24 September 2016
Was a manager for 4 years, not a lot of work life balance. Expected to be in store more evening shifts than day shifts. Salary and benefits comparable to the industry
Fast fun paced environment
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB8 September 2016
-Enjoyed my co-workers
-Management was nice, helpful and encouraging
-Getting to talk and satisfy customers with their needs
-Getting the right training and knowledge for the job position
nice place for the beginner
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 September 2016
Nice place to enhance communication skill including learn customer service skill. If anyone want to build career at retail, Mark's would be the right place for starter.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 August 2016
Mark's in Whitecourt was like a second home to me, not because of how often I was working but because my co-workers had become a second family to me. They taught me a lot, from dealing with customers to learning about clothes and different work requirements for customers and everything in between.
loved working for them
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint-basile, QC6 August 2016
good working condition. Work hard, loved all the parts of my job, a challenge of everyday. the contact with customers. Resolving problems. Having the liberty of making your own decision following the guide of Marks.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
store closed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8