MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE

MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good and bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee), VuaxhallAugust 20, 2014
Pros: friendly sale colleagues
Cons: as stated in review
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with but lower management was unmotivating, demoralising and unsupportive as well as consistently talking down to staff in which the whole sales force felt. furthermore the sales training was pathetic. The hardest part of the job was trying to sign people up. The only thing i learnt, was what – more... made a bad manager. There was No Job security as people were fired in the first half of there second day if there wasn't a sale, even though in the interview we were told we had a one month trial. – less
Excellent place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Bradford, ENGAugust 6, 2014
Pros: free clothes
Cons: long hours
enjoyed working there.
Handling cash
Working in front of shop
Organising clothes
Dealing with customers needs and enquiries
Organising shop items in stock room
Hanging clothes
Steaming clothes
Pricing items
Keeping shop floor clean and tidy
Ensured all goods are well displayed
Welcome customers in a friendly manner
Keeping patient with difficult customers
Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), London, ENGJuly 19, 2014
Pros: sharpened customer service skills
I really enjoyed my time there as my colleagues were very friendly and good to work with I really appreciated handling customer queries and found that working was in no way boring.
Satisfying and rewarding work
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGJune 18, 2014
Pros: personally rewarding, interesting and varied work
Cons: confusing and contradictory corporate guidelines, occasionally unhygienic and unpleasant work
It is hard, but rewarding work that covers a surprising variety of tasks from one minute to the next. I highly recommend volunteering for at least a few weeks for the insight it provides into the work that goes in to running a charity shop. Management are surprisingly firm with the volunteers, often expecting a level of work one would encounter at a – more... paid position, but they are always helpful and ultimately thankful for any contribution. – less
lovely place to work
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee), newcastle upon tyneJune 12, 2014
I served customers on the till, assisted customers with stock queries, cleaned the shop.
Nice place to volunteer and have a good laugh
Shop Volunteer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ENGJune 3, 2014
Pros: good overall
very nice place to work and all the people are very welcoming of more volunteers, tasks ranging from stock take, till work, cleaning, customer service, steaming clothes.
Charitable Organisation
Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee), BradfordMay 20, 2014
Pros: salary, pension, office location
Cons: travel
No two days the same always busy. Liaising with staff, volunteers and supporters. Help desk for the day to day operational side of the business answering queries and resolving issues for the team. Completing the daily bank reconciliation and completing analysis for senior management. Producing reports. Managing expenditure.
Booking travel and accommodation, – more... arranging meetings, training staff, maintaining database, carrying out audits across the region, completing DSE Assessments and Health & safety training.

Always something new to learn in the evolving world of fundraising, policies and procedures always being updated I have learned that to successfully carry out my role I need to keep myself one step ahead as It is my responsibility to deliver this information to the teams in the North region.

I have the full support from the Head of Region and other departmental managers we work as a team to deliver the strategy for the charity.

My co-workers are a fantastic team of fundraisers, they strive to raise as much money as possible to maintain the care we give to terminally ill patients and their families and my role is to support them to enable them to do so.

Travel for me is the hardest part of the role with offices from Edinburgh to London and my personal commitments I would prefer to be office based.

Being part of such an amazing charity reputable charity and providing a service to the teams that raise the income to support the purpose is in itself the most rewarding part of the job. – less
fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee), merthyr tydfilMarch 15, 2014
my jod entails of stoking the shelves, operating the till, and making sure the store is always tidy. my co-workers are very friendly and trustworthy.
Great shop!
Volunteer retail (Current Employee), UpminsterMarch 11, 2014
Marie Curie Cancer Care Shop in Upminster is a wonderful shop to work for. I love the people that i work with which makes the job tho teadious at times, rather fun. Our customers are great and we rarely have any disrespectful or agressive customers. My mother passed away with Lukemia a few years ago so, its feels good to be able to give my time to this – more... Organisation of compassionate care for terminally ill people. Such a blessing to give! – less
productive and calm workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Sunderland, ENGMarch 3, 2014
I volunteered as a shop assisstant at Marie Curie and was able to gain skills in communicate with customers. my co-workers mainly worked at the back while i worked on the till and were very helpful and friendly.
Productive and fun work place
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Dartford, ENGFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: long breaks
I love working at Marie Curie as you get to work one to one with customers and all the staff get along.
Enjoyable and interesting environment
Volunteer (Current Employee), Rainham, ENGJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: sometimes limited duties
I find my voluntary work at Marie Curie Cancer Care in Rainham a great experience in working in the Retail industry. The job duties include serving and dealing with customers, organising and management of the shop, pricing, sorting and tidying stock and maintaining the store.

I am currently enjoying my opportunity working at Marie Curie, and it is – more... good experience for being in a working environment. – less
Excellent Work Culture
VOLUNTARY RECRUITMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), London, ENGJanuary 1, 2014
A typical day at work would be pleasant. The Recruitment team that I worked with was friendly yet gal oriented and gave me opportunities to learn, challenge myself and carry functions outside my comfort zone. They would provide me with all guidelines and support. Attracting candidates for a unpaid voluntary role was indeed a challenge. Many students – more... and experienced candidates would not like the idea of working without pay. Therefore, work was a challenge in terms of creating a talent pool and attracting fresh minds.

Even though roles to be recruited for were voluntary, there was a good system of keeping records, conducting background checks, obtaining references, etc.

I had a wonderful experience of working with Marie Curie Cancer Care. – less
Friendly place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Lisburn, NIRNovember 3, 2013
Providing assistance and sales along with first class service
Stock preparation & merchandising.
Staff/volunteer rotas.
Volunteer training.
Cash handling/Banking.
Administration.
Working as part of a team.
Liasing with Manager/Area Manager.
fun easy going place to work
Voulnteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee), Sunderland, ENGOctober 13, 2013
Pros: travel paid for
Cons: when we are understaffed
a great introduction to retail shop life, easy going friendly atmosphere, i have gained experience and new skills. meet new people and learn transferable skills,friendly helpful staff.
A great volunteering oppertunity
Walk Ten Marshal (Former Employee), Cupar, SCTOctober 5, 2013
Pros: free tea and barbeque after the event and personal satisfaction in helping others
As a volunteer I got to help out others and motivate them on their journey. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Marie Curie and would recommend it to anyone who would like an experience in the voluntary sector.
Helpful and really great environment
Financial Administration Volunteer (Current Employee), Edinburgh, SCTJuly 6, 2013
I'm working in MCCC as a volunteer I am very happy to be part of the Support Administration Team, because I think they are doing a great social work. Each week is exciting because I'm learning new things for me, and a very nice work environment, the relationship with colleagues is very good and helpful.
In my opinion the management does a great job, – more... there are lots of people working there between workers and volunteers, is very well organized, everyone knows their job and reach the goals.
At the moment I can not talk about a hard day at work and what I like most about my job is that it gives me the opportunity to learn new tasks. – less
Enjoyed my time there loved the interacting with the customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), CookstownMay 10, 2013
Pros: being out on the floor talking with the customers and my staff.
Cons: a lot was expected
I would open up the shop,set up the till for the day,the day was spent getting clothes ready for going out on the shop floor,I had a team of volanteers who i had to organise as to which days they came in,iI loved the interaction between both my volanteers and the customers,the hardest part was keeping up with the many things that had to be done each – more... day. – less
very interesting role
Telephone Appeals Operator (Former Employee), , Doncaster, South YorkshireMay 7, 2013
Pros: worked own hours as long as the work was completed
Cons: not enough hours
i enjoyed my job 100% I preferred to be kept busy and to keep within the deadlines concerning the figures which the company adhered to at all times!
Fantastic internship experience
Corporate Development/Public Relations Intern (Former Employee), London, ENGApril 29, 2013
I enjoyed being able to work in a foreign work environment. I learned how to draft press releases and research new business prospects.