MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive but young and vibrant work space.
Recruitment Administrator, HR Department (Former Employee), Victoria, LondonSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Lively Team
Cons: Lack of job security as the whole team was on a temporary contract.
My experience at Marie Curie was a fantastic one. Although this was a contract job and I had to leave within a short period of time, I am still in contact with all my colleagues. Working at Marie Curie allowed me to master my skills in recruitment whereas prior to that recruitment was just a part of a wide range of different jobs I performed.
Mainly Night Duty, rewarding work
Marie Curie Nurse (Former Employee), North Somerset area, covered a 25 mile radiusJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Interesting and varied, met people from all walks of life
Cons: Not knowing whether you had work until last day of availability
Work sporadic so not to rely on as an income. Very rewarding work when it was available.
Worked unsupervised, some people did not like the isolation of the job.
Achievement and helping others
Volunteer Fundraiser (Current Employee), LondonMarch 1, 2016
Collecting from public places as well as organising and taking part in fundraising events. I learned it is important to help people in a less fortunate position than you.
Productive and Fun
Corporate Events Intern (Former Employee), Vauxhall, LambethNovember 20, 2014
Pros: good salary and job description i was confident about doing.
Cons: long hours
Typical Day at work would include job roles such as printing, researching, taking calls, organising posters, products and letters for companies, preparing and organising events.
Booking activities and businesses for events I prepared, using Excel and Word to record data and create set data files of contacts, emails, names, addresses and contacted details.

I learn't a lot more about the company, what they do, IT skills and more advanced office based work. How to prepare and be more organised with in a work place.

Management and Co-workers were some what busy at times but always fun to work with, talkative and conversational, fun and energetic always smiling and would share with everyone including cake time at 5 pm on Fridays.

Hardest part of the job was engaging with people, I was shy at the beginning but challenged myself and began feeling a lot more confident about myself and speaking with others.

Most enjoyable part was knowing I helped to prepare, organise and create events for the company that contributed to making such a big difference to peoples lives. Meeting new people and being in such a comfortable atmosphere was fun because I felt relaxed whilst at work.
review
assistant manager (Current Employee), port talbotFebruary 9, 2016
the job it self was good i was messed about alot. they didnt pay me for 3 months and for 12 months i was covering i was not contracted
A Great Development Opportunity
Planning & Development Telephone Appeals Manager (Former Employee), PontypoolOctober 23, 2015
Pros: Great Development
Cons: Working away from home
Project Manager for the entire transition of the Regional and National Telephone Appeals Operation into a centralised Fundraising Support Centre over a 12 month Period
As inefficient as it gets
Senior Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee), lincolnshireMay 13, 2015
Pros: the patients one works with
Cons: management inefficiency and lack of care
We Nurses do great work at the sharp end, in front of Patients and their loved one's. Overall though, the Charity is a terrible place to work. The management are inefficient and largely uncaring. There is a culture of bullying and lack of respect for staff and absolutely no effort is made to provide a work/ life balance or to listen to staff. The work is fantastic. Being with Patients is fantastic, but dealing with the organisation is horrendous!
very good
volunteer I been able (Current Employee), southend on seaOctober 16, 2015
Pros: great staff
Cons: N/A
i enjoy woking there great fun been there yeah ihave lonent so much here and i love i it. when iget there i gert there elry make the tea and coffe and th stafe the day.
learning and fun enviroment
store assistant (Current Employee), huytonJune 1, 2015
Pros: 9-5 monday to friday
Cons: orking on sunday
a typical day of work is very busy always making sure the shelves and rails are stocked up and tidy at all times, working on the till and trying to sell stock, making sure the customer leaves the store happy and with hat they wanted. when ne stock comes in the store sort the stock out into what where keeping and what e are sending on then sort them into omens, men's and children's they do a stock check and work out how much you would make from all the donated goods.

I learned a lot about myself and other people volunteering. I learned a lot for my manager and hat it takes to be a manger of a store , the hardest part of the job is not having what the customer wanted and letting them down and the most enjoyable part is talking to the customers and building a relationship with them.
great place to do work experience
Sale Assistant (Former Employee), farnbroughOctober 9, 2015
Pros: help a great cause
Cons: you don't get payed for it
great place to work when you are not working and need work experience . a good start to learn about retail and customer service.
AMAZING CHARITY TO WORK FOR
SENIOR HEALTHCARE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Worcester, ENGJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: being able to support patient and families
Cons: long hours
Due to the nature of this job i did nights supporting families giving them support some would go to bed some wanted to stay up not knowing there loved one would make it the next day.Would make sure the patient was comfortable at night personal care assist with diet and fluids if they wanted it.The hardest part of my job was supporting the families i always felt if they could trust me and see what support i could give them and giving them to express there feelings most mornings i would come away with a hug and a thank you that made my job worth it also most important it was a peaceful death being able to be a step ahead contacting doctors and nurses at the right time.
Charitable Organisation
Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee), BradfordMay 20, 2014
Pros: salary, pension, office location
Cons: travel
No two days the same always busy. Liaising with staff, volunteers and supporters. Help desk for the day to day operational side of the business answering queries and resolving issues for the team. Completing the daily bank reconciliation and completing analysis for senior management. Producing reports. Managing expenditure.
Booking travel and accommodation, arranging meetings, training staff, maintaining database, carrying out audits across the region, completing DSE Assessments and Health & safety training.

Always something new to learn in the evolving world of fundraising, policies and procedures always being updated I have learned that to successfully carry out my role I need to keep myself one step ahead as It is my responsibility to deliver this information to the teams in the North region.

I have the full support from the Head of Region and other departmental managers we work as a team to deliver the strategy for the charity.

My co-workers are a fantastic team of fundraisers, they strive to raise as much money as possible to maintain the care we give to terminally ill patients and their families and my role is to support them to enable them to do so.

Travel for me is the hardest part of the role with offices from Edinburgh to London and my personal commitments I would prefer to be office based.

Being part of such an amazing charity reputable charity and providing a service to the teams that raise the income to support the purpose is in itself the most rewarding part of the job.
Interesting and fun
shop manager (Former Employee), Newry, NIRFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day would be cleaning and tidying the shop, then restocking the rails and colour co-ordinating clothing using a colour chart. Stock would be steamed and priced before going onto shop floor. weekly supplies of donations from the warehouse and the public were constantly being sorted and items that were not useable were bagged for recycling. Volunteers were given jobs to carry out both in store room and shop floor. I also would have trained them in manual handling.
At the end of day the banking was done and paperwork completed.

I loved this job because every day was different, new people, new donations and I had a good relationship with my volunteers and my customers.
It could be challenging at times for example when targets had to be met but that made it even more enjoyable by having to come up with ways of doing this.
I had good laughs with my volunteers and they were very reliable and worked very well for me.
Good and bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee), VuaxhallAugust 20, 2014
Pros: friendly sale colleagues
Cons: as stated in review
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with but lower management was unmotivating, demoralising and unsupportive as well as consistently talking down to staff in which the whole sales force felt. furthermore the sales training was pathetic. The hardest part of the job was trying to sign people up. The only thing i learnt, was what made a bad manager. There was No Job security as people were fired in the first half of there second day if there wasn't a sale, even though in the interview we were told we had a one month trial.
Fantastic company with a great cause
Senior Marketing Executive (Former Employee), London, UKJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great flexibility in working hours
Cons: not every department flowed towards the same goals
I loved working at Marie Curie and I am so grateful for the opportunity they gave me before I came travelling.
I was involved in four main fundraising areas of the business: Mountain Challenges, Overseas Challenges, Text Santa and Walk 10.
My managers and co workers were brilliant and allowed me to settle in straight away and helped me to produce my best for them.

The hardest part of the job was the restrictions that are placed in charity work. This was however also the most enjoyable part as when you produced good work despite this you feel proud and satisfied.
great volunteers
retail assistant (Former Employee), penarthMay 9, 2015
Pros: lovely co-workers
Cons: the steamer had a weird smell
Volunteer for a few weeks, my manager was lovely and there was always something to do. Till training, with endless cups of tea and biscuits. Half an hour break for lunch.
Good environment to be in
Volunteer (Current Employee), Whitchurch, ENGApril 13, 2015
It is rewarding knowing that you are helping people in your community by becoming a volunteer and you can gain experience you would need to work in a retail environment. Skills you learn can be applied when applying for a job.
Satisfying and rewarding work
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGJune 18, 2014
Pros: personally rewarding, interesting and varied work
Cons: confusing and contradictory corporate guidelines, occasionally unhygienic and unpleasant work
It is hard, but rewarding work that covers a surprising variety of tasks from one minute to the next. I highly recommend volunteering for at least a few weeks for the insight it provides into the work that goes in to running a charity shop. Management are surprisingly firm with the volunteers, often expecting a level of work one would encounter at a paid position, but they are always helpful and ultimately thankful for any contribution.
Helpful and really great environment
Financial Administration Volunteer (Current Employee), Edinburgh, SCTJuly 6, 2013
I'm working in MCCC as a volunteer I am very happy to be part of the Support Administration Team, because I think they are doing a great social work. Each week is exciting because I'm learning new things for me, and a very nice work environment, the relationship with colleagues is very good and helpful.
In my opinion the management does a great job, there are lots of people working there between workers and volunteers, is very well organized, everyone knows their job and reach the goals.
At the moment I can not talk about a hard day at work and what I like most about my job is that it gives me the opportunity to learn new tasks.
Excellent place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Bradford, ENGAugust 6, 2014
Pros: free clothes
enjoyed working there.
Handling cash
Working in front of shop
Organising clothes
Dealing with customers needs and enquiries
Organising shop items in stock room
Hanging clothes
Steaming clothes
Pricing items
Keeping shop floor clean and tidy
Ensured all goods are well displayed
Welcome customers in a friendly manner
Keeping patient with difficult customers