MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE Employee Reviews

Easy work at an easy pace.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  GloucesterApril 27, 2016
This role involved both cash handling and handling stock. There was usually one paid member of staff (management) and a couple of volunteers. The management was very good and were very friendly, as were the other volunteers. The hardest part of the job was having to balance the stock take with the shop floor. Volunteering here was very easy.
Pros
Friendly staff and easy job.
Cons
It can get boring.
voluntary
Tk Maxx - Sales assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  phones, UKMay 28, 2016
Sorting out the clothes, dealing with customers, serving customers at the till and my favourite bit of this job was helping the staff they was very friendly.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not paid
Mainly Night Duty, rewarding work
Marie Curie Nurse (Former Employee) –  North Somerset area, covered a 25 mile radiusJanuary 6, 2016
Work sporadic so not to rely on as an income. Very rewarding work when it was available.
Worked unsupervised, some people did not like the isolation of the job.
Pros
Interesting and varied, met people from all walks of life
Cons
Not knowing whether you had work until last day of availability
Achievement and helping others
Volunteer Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  LondonMarch 1, 2016
Collecting from public places as well as organising and taking part in fundraising events. I learned it is important to help people in a less fortunate position than you.
review
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  port talbotFebruary 9, 2016
the job it self was good i was messed about alot. they didnt pay me for 3 months and for 12 months i was covering i was not contracted
Productive but young and vibrant work space.
Recruitment Administrator, HR Department (Former Employee) –  Victoria, LondonSeptember 1, 2015
My experience at Marie Curie was a fantastic one. Although this was a contract job and I had to leave within a short period of time, I am still in contact with all my colleagues. Working at Marie Curie allowed me to master my skills in recruitment whereas prior to that recruitment was just a part of a wide range of different jobs I performed.
Pros
Lively Team
Cons
Lack of job security as the whole team was on a temporary contract.
A Great Development Opportunity
Planning & Development Telephone Appeals Manager (Former Employee) –  PontypoolOctober 23, 2015
Project Manager for the entire transition of the Regional and National Telephone Appeals Operation into a centralised Fundraising Support Centre over a 12 month Period
Pros
Great Development
Cons
Working away from home
great place to do work experience
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  farnbroughOctober 9, 2015
great place to work when you are not working and need work experience . a good start to learn about retail and customer service.
Pros
help a great cause
Cons
you don't get payed for it
very good
volunteer I been able (Current Employee) –  southend on seaOctober 16, 2015
i enjoy woking there great fun been there yeah ihave lonent so much here and i love i it. when iget there i gert there elry make the tea and coffe and th stafe the day.
Pros
great staff
Cons
N/A
As inefficient as it gets
Senior Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  lincolnshireMay 13, 2015
We Nurses do great work at the sharp end, in front of Patients and their loved one's. Overall though, the Charity is a terrible place to work. The management are inefficient and largely uncaring. There is a culture of bullying and lack of respect for staff and absolutely no effort is made to provide a work/ life balance or to listen to staff. The work is fantastic. Being with Patients is fantastic, but dealing with the organisation is horrendous!
Pros
the patients one works with
Cons
management inefficiency and lack of care
learning and fun enviroment
store assistant (Current Employee) –  huytonJune 1, 2015
a typical day of work is very busy always making sure the shelves and rails are stocked up and tidy at all times, working on the till and trying to sell stock, making sure the customer leaves the store happy and with hat they wanted. when ne stock comes in the store sort the stock out into what where keeping and what e are sending on then sort them into omens, men's and children's they do a stock check and work out how much you would make from all the donated goods.

I learned a lot about myself and other people volunteering. I learned a lot for my manager and hat it takes to be a manger of a store , the hardest part of the job is not having what the customer wanted and letting them down and the most enjoyable part is talking to the customers and building a relationship with them.
Pros
9-5 monday to friday
Cons
orking on sunday
Fantastic company with a great cause
Senior Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  London, UKJanuary 13, 2015
I loved working at Marie Curie and I am so grateful for the opportunity they gave me before I came travelling.
I was involved in four main fundraising areas of the business: Mountain Challenges, Overseas Challenges, Text Santa and Walk 10.
My managers and co workers were brilliant and allowed me to settle in straight away and helped me to produce my best for them.

The hardest part of the job was the restrictions that are placed in charity work. This was however also the most enjoyable part as when you produced good work despite this you feel proud and satisfied.
Pros
great flexibility in working hours
Cons
not every department flowed towards the same goals
AMAZING CHARITY TO WORK FOR
SENIOR HEALTHCARE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Worcester, ENGJanuary 19, 2015
Due to the nature of this job i did nights supporting families giving them support some would go to bed some wanted to stay up not knowing there loved one would make it the next day.Would make sure the patient was comfortable at night personal care assist with diet and fluids if they wanted it.The hardest part of my job was supporting the families i always felt if they could trust me and see what support i could give them and giving them to express there feelings most mornings i would come away with a hug and a thank you that made my job worth it also most important it was a peaceful death being able to be a step ahead contacting doctors and nurses at the right time.
Pros
being able to support patient and families
Good and bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  VuaxhallAugust 20, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with but lower management was unmotivating, demoralising and unsupportive as well as consistently talking down to staff in which the whole sales force felt. furthermore the sales training was pathetic. The hardest part of the job was trying to sign people up. The only thing i learnt, was what made a bad manager. There was No Job security as people were fired in the first half of there second day if there wasn't a sale, even though in the interview we were told we had a one month trial.
Pros
friendly sale colleagues
Cons
as stated in review
A lovely charity and a rewarding role.
People & Organisational Development (Current Employee) –  Central LondonAugust 21, 2014
Having worked as an Organisational Development professional within the Charity sector for six years, I have developed a wide range of skills.

In my current occupation as a People & Organisational Development Administrator for Marie Curie Cancer Care I have had many achievements, including implementing a national leadership programme, building relationships across the organisation in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, assisting and improving engagement levels across Marie Curie Cancer Care.

Supporting people in order for them to get the best from themselves and achieve their goals is hugely rewarding for the individual and the organisation.
Satisfying and rewarding work
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, ENGJune 18, 2014
It is hard, but rewarding work that covers a surprising variety of tasks from one minute to the next. I highly recommend volunteering for at least a few weeks for the insight it provides into the work that goes in to running a charity shop. Management are surprisingly firm with the volunteers, often expecting a level of work one would encounter at a paid position, but they are always helpful and ultimately thankful for any contribution.
Pros
personally rewarding, interesting and varied work
Cons
confusing and contradictory corporate guidelines, occasionally unhygienic and unpleasant work
Excellent place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ENGAugust 6, 2014
enjoyed working there.
Handling cash
Working in front of shop
Organising clothes
Dealing with customers needs and enquiries
Organising shop items in stock room
Hanging clothes
Steaming clothes
Pricing items
Keeping shop floor clean and tidy
Ensured all goods are well displayed
Welcome customers in a friendly manner
Keeping patient with difficult customers
Pros
free clothes
Interesting and fun
shop manager (Former Employee) –  Newry, NIRFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day would be cleaning and tidying the shop, then restocking the rails and colour co-ordinating clothing using a colour chart. Stock would be steamed and priced before going onto shop floor. weekly supplies of donations from the warehouse and the public were constantly being sorted and items that were not useable were bagged for recycling. Volunteers were given jobs to carry out both in store room and shop floor. I also would have trained them in manual handling.
At the end of day the banking was done and paperwork completed.

I loved this job because every day was different, new people, new donations and I had a good relationship with my volunteers and my customers.
It could be challenging at times for example when targets had to be met but that made it even more enjoyable by having to come up with ways of doing this.
I had good laughs with my volunteers and they were very reliable and worked very well for me.
Enjoyable and interesting environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Rainham, ENGJanuary 20, 2014
I find my voluntary work at Marie Curie Cancer Care in Rainham a great experience in working in the Retail industry. The job duties include serving and dealing with customers, organising and management of the shop, pricing, sorting and tidying stock and maintaining the store.

I am currently enjoying my opportunity working at Marie Curie, and it is good experience for being in a working environment.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
sometimes limited duties
great volunteers
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  penarthMay 9, 2015
Volunteer for a few weeks, my manager was lovely and there was always something to do. Till training, with endless cups of tea and biscuits. Half an hour break for lunch.
Pros
lovely co-workers
Cons
the steamer had a weird smell

4.5