MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
As inefficient as it gets
Senior Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee), lincolnshireMay 13, 2015
Pros: the patients one works with
Cons: management inefficiency and lack of care
We Nurses do great work at the sharp end, in front of Patients and their loved one's. Overall though, the Charity is a terrible place to work. The management are inefficient and largely uncaring. There is a culture of bullying and lack of respect for staff and absolutely no effort is made to provide a work/ life balance or to listen to staff. The work is fantastic. Being with Patients is fantastic, but dealing with the organisation is horrendous!
great volunteers
retail assistant (Former Employee), penarthMay 9, 2015
Pros: lovely co-workers
Cons: the steamer had a weird smell
Volunteer for a few weeks, my manager was lovely and there was always something to do. Till training, with endless cups of tea and biscuits. Half an hour break for lunch.
Good environment to be in
Volunteer (Current Employee), Whitchurch, ENGApril 13, 2015
It is rewarding knowing that you are helping people in your community by becoming a volunteer and you can gain experience you would need to work in a retail environment. Skills you learn can be applied when applying for a job.
great
Volunteer (Former Employee), cardiffMarch 16, 2015
I enjoyed volunteering for them they were nice and friendly they helped me a lot when I needed the help the manger was a very lovely lady
Interesting and fun
shop manager (Former Employee), Newry, NIRFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day would be cleaning and tidying the shop, then restocking the rails and colour co-ordinating clothing using a colour chart. Stock would be steamed and priced before going onto shop floor. weekly supplies of donations from the warehouse and the public were constantly being sorted and items that were not useable were bagged for recycling. Volunteers were given jobs to carry out both in store room and shop floor. I also would have trained them in manual handling.
At the end of day the banking was done and paperwork completed.

I loved this job because every day was different, new people, new donations and I had a good relationship with my volunteers and my customers.
It could be challenging at times for example when targets had to be met but that made it even more enjoyable by having to come up with ways of doing this.
I had good laughs with my volunteers and they were very reliable and worked very well for me.
AMAZING CHARITY TO WORK FOR
SENIOR HEALTHCARE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Worcester, ENGJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: being able to support patient and families
Cons: long hours
Due to the nature of this job i did nights supporting families giving them support some would go to bed some wanted to stay up not knowing there loved one would make it the next day.Would make sure the patient was comfortable at night personal care assist with diet and fluids if they wanted it.The hardest part of my job was supporting the families i always felt if they could trust me and see what support i could give them and giving them to express there feelings most mornings i would come away with a hug and a thank you that made my job worth it also most important it was a peaceful death being able to be a step ahead contacting doctors and nurses at the right time.
Fantastic company with a great cause
Senior Marketing Executive (Former Employee), London, UKJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great flexibility in working hours
Cons: not every department flowed towards the same goals
I loved working at Marie Curie and I am so grateful for the opportunity they gave me before I came travelling.
I was involved in four main fundraising areas of the business: Mountain Challenges, Overseas Challenges, Text Santa and Walk 10.
My managers and co workers were brilliant and allowed me to settle in straight away and helped me to produce my best for them.

The hardest part of the job was the restrictions that are placed in charity work. This was however also the most enjoyable part as when you produced good work despite this you feel proud and satisfied.
Great PR team
Press Assistant (Former Employee), LondonDecember 11, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: a little far from home
I enjoyed working here and was sad to leave after my temporary contract finished. They were a great team, worked very well together and were extremely supportive.
Productive and Fun
Corporate Events Intern (Former Employee), Vauxhall, LambethNovember 20, 2014
Pros: good salary and job description i was confident about doing.
Cons: long hours
Typical Day at work would include job roles such as printing, researching, taking calls, organising posters, products and letters for companies, preparing and organising events.
Booking activities and businesses for events I prepared, using Excel and Word to record data and create set data files of contacts, emails, names, addresses and contacted details.

I learn't a lot more about the company, what they do, IT skills and more advanced office based work. How to prepare and be more organised with in a work place.

Management and Co-workers were some what busy at times but always fun to work with, talkative and conversational, fun and energetic always smiling and would share with everyone including cake time at 5 pm on Fridays.

Hardest part of the job was engaging with people, I was shy at the beginning but challenged myself and began feeling a lot more confident about myself and speaking with others.

Most enjoyable part was knowing I helped to prepare, organise and create events for the company that contributed to making such a big difference to peoples lives. Meeting new people and being in such a comfortable atmosphere was fun because I felt relaxed whilst at work.
hardworking and fun volunteers
Retail Volunteer (Current Employee), ENGOctober 21, 2014
Pros: learn new skills
Cons: unpaid
I am currently completing my work experience at Marie curie and I am learning a lot of skills relating to retail and general work skills. I am enjoying my time.
A lovely charity and a rewarding role.
People & Organisational Development (Current Employee), Central LondonAugust 21, 2014
Having worked as an Organisational Development professional within the Charity sector for six years, I have developed a wide range of skills.

In my current occupation as a People & Organisational Development Administrator for Marie Curie Cancer Care I have had many achievements, including implementing a national leadership programme, building relationships across the organisation in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, assisting and improving engagement levels across Marie Curie Cancer Care.

Supporting people in order for them to get the best from themselves and achieve their goals is hugely rewarding for the individual and the organisation.
Good and bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee), VuaxhallAugust 20, 2014
Pros: friendly sale colleagues
Cons: as stated in review
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with but lower management was unmotivating, demoralising and unsupportive as well as consistently talking down to staff in which the whole sales force felt. furthermore the sales training was pathetic. The hardest part of the job was trying to sign people up. The only thing i learnt, was what made a bad manager. There was No Job security as people were fired in the first half of there second day if there wasn't a sale, even though in the interview we were told we had a one month trial.
Excellent place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Bradford, ENGAugust 6, 2014
Pros: free clothes
enjoyed working there.
Handling cash
Working in front of shop
Organising clothes
Dealing with customers needs and enquiries
Organising shop items in stock room
Hanging clothes
Steaming clothes
Pricing items
Keeping shop floor clean and tidy
Ensured all goods are well displayed
Welcome customers in a friendly manner
Keeping patient with difficult customers
Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), London, ENGJuly 19, 2014
Pros: sharpened customer service skills
I really enjoyed my time there as my colleagues were very friendly and good to work with I really appreciated handling customer queries and found that working was in no way boring.
Satisfying and rewarding work
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGJune 18, 2014
Pros: personally rewarding, interesting and varied work
Cons: confusing and contradictory corporate guidelines, occasionally unhygienic and unpleasant work
It is hard, but rewarding work that covers a surprising variety of tasks from one minute to the next. I highly recommend volunteering for at least a few weeks for the insight it provides into the work that goes in to running a charity shop. Management are surprisingly firm with the volunteers, often expecting a level of work one would encounter at a paid position, but they are always helpful and ultimately thankful for any contribution.
lovely place to work
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee), newcastle upon tyneJune 12, 2014
I served customers on the till, assisted customers with stock queries, cleaned the shop.
Nice place to volunteer and have a good laugh
Shop Volunteer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ENGJune 3, 2014
Pros: good overall
very nice place to work and all the people are very welcoming of more volunteers, tasks ranging from stock take, till work, cleaning, customer service, steaming clothes.
Charitable Organisation
Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee), BradfordMay 20, 2014
Pros: salary, pension, office location
Cons: travel
No two days the same always busy. Liaising with staff, volunteers and supporters. Help desk for the day to day operational side of the business answering queries and resolving issues for the team. Completing the daily bank reconciliation and completing analysis for senior management. Producing reports. Managing expenditure.
Booking travel and accommodation, arranging meetings, training staff, maintaining database, carrying out audits across the region, completing DSE Assessments and Health & safety training.

Always something new to learn in the evolving world of fundraising, policies and procedures always being updated I have learned that to successfully carry out my role I need to keep myself one step ahead as It is my responsibility to deliver this information to the teams in the North region.

I have the full support from the Head of Region and other departmental managers we work as a team to deliver the strategy for the charity.

My co-workers are a fantastic team of fundraisers, they strive to raise as much money as possible to maintain the care we give to terminally ill patients and their families and my role is to support them to enable them to do so.

Travel for me is the hardest part of the role with offices from Edinburgh to London and my personal commitments I would prefer to be office based.

Being part of such an amazing charity reputable charity and providing a service to the teams that raise the income to support the purpose is in itself the most rewarding part of the job.
fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee), merthyr tydfilMarch 15, 2014
my jod entails of stoking the shelves, operating the till, and making sure the store is always tidy. my co-workers are very friendly and trustworthy.
Great shop!
Volunteer retail (Current Employee), UpminsterMarch 11, 2014
Marie Curie Cancer Care Shop in Upminster is a wonderful shop to work for. I love the people that i work with which makes the job tho teadious at times, rather fun. Our customers are great and we rarely have any disrespectful or agressive customers. My mother passed away with Lukemia a few years ago so, its feels good to be able to give my time to this Organisation of compassionate care for terminally ill people. Such a blessing to give!