MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE Employee Reviews

Good work olace. Lovely staff
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow18 October 2016
10/10. Amazing charity great place to work for a good cause also. Would be ideal for new people willing to give time to raise money to a charity that needs it.
Pros
New work location ecery day.
Cons
Long hours travelling
Office Volunteer
Office Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh10 August 2016
Typical day of work starts with looking through the white mail, making sure that donors' feedback and requests are fulfilled. Also, updating fundraising database which sometimes requires problem solving skills as some information might be missing or irrelevant so need to be checked and approved. The management along with co-workers are very helpful and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I develop already known skills that is using MS Office and email, learn new skills such as working with database and adapting to office environment. At the moment I have not found the hardest part of the job because I get supported on every step.
Pros
excitement from learning new skills
Cons
no cons
good work place
Senior Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  South West15 November 2016
I work nights at present, and every night is different depending on needs of patient, you do a lot of on line training, as a night worker you don't really see a lot of co workers but in meetings its nice to catch up.
The hardest part of the job is when you are attached to a patient and they die, the most enjoyable part is meeting new people and being appreciated for what you do.
Good place with good people
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE11 October 2016
a good place to work fun people and varied work loads I only did some volunteer work so I do not know so much about the pay/ career progression but I enjoyed my time spent there
Pros
good environment
Cons
I was volunteering
Sense of humour required
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London30 November 2016
It is permanent night work. Very tiring. Not good when all shops are open during the day when you are asleep. Job is satisfying being able to help people. Hardest part of the job, when someone dies.
Pros
No traffic jams to contend with
Cons
Don't see daylight hours very much
working at Marie curie
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Larkhall21 October 2016
Marie Curie is a good environment to work in. the people are friendly and it is a very rewarding job experience ,also it is allowing you to contribute to a worthwhile cause.
Easy work at an easy pace.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gloucester27 April 2016
This role involved both cash handling and handling stock. There was usually one paid member of staff (management) and a couple of volunteers. The management was very good and were very friendly, as were the other volunteers. The hardest part of the job was having to balance the stock take with the shop floor. Volunteering here was very easy.
Pros
Friendly staff and easy job.
Cons
It can get boring.
Productive and Fun
Corporate Events Intern (Former Employee) –  Vauxhall, Lambeth20 November 2014
Typical Day at work would include job roles such as printing, researching, taking calls, organising posters, products and letters for companies, preparing and organising events.
Booking activities and businesses for events I prepared, using Excel and Word to record data and create set data files of contacts, emails, names, addresses and contacted details.

I learn't a lot more about the company, what they do, IT skills and more advanced office based work. How to prepare and be more organised with in a work place.

Management and Co-workers were some what busy at times but always fun to work with, talkative and conversational, fun and energetic always smiling and would share with everyone including cake time at 5 pm on Fridays.

Hardest part of the job was engaging with people, I was shy at the beginning but challenged myself and began feeling a lot more confident about myself and speaking with others.

Most enjoyable part was knowing I helped to prepare, organise and create events for the company that contributed to making such a big difference to peoples lives. Meeting new people and being in such a comfortable atmosphere was fun because I felt relaxed whilst at work.
Pros
Good Salary and Job Description I was confident about doing.
Cons
Long Hours
voluntary
Tk Maxx - Sales assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  phones, UK28 May 2016
Sorting out the clothes, dealing with customers, serving customers at the till and my favourite bit of this job was helping the staff they was very friendly.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not paid
Charitable Organisation
Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradford20 May 2014
No two days the same always busy. Liaising with staff, volunteers and supporters. Help desk for the day to day operational side of the business answering queries and resolving issues for the team. Completing the daily bank reconciliation and completing analysis for senior management. Producing reports. Managing expenditure.
Booking travel and accommodation, arranging meetings, training staff, maintaining database, carrying out audits across the region, completing DSE Assessments and Health & safety training.

Always something new to learn in the evolving world of fundraising, policies and procedures always being updated I have learned that to successfully carry out my role I need to keep myself one step ahead as It is my responsibility to deliver this information to the teams in the North region.

I have the full support from the Head of Region and other departmental managers we work as a team to deliver the strategy for the charity.

My co-workers are a fantastic team of fundraisers, they strive to raise as much money as possible to maintain the care we give to terminally ill patients and their families and my role is to support them to enable them to do so.

Travel for me is the hardest part of the role with offices from Edinburgh to London and my personal commitments I would prefer to be office based.

Being part of such an amazing charity reputable charity and providing a service to the teams that raise the income to support the purpose is in itself the most rewarding part of the job.
Pros
Salary, Pension, Office location
Cons
Travel
Good and bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Vuaxhall20 August 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with but lower management was unmotivating, demoralising and unsupportive as well as consistently talking down to staff in which the whole sales force felt. furthermore the sales training was pathetic. The hardest part of the job was trying to sign people up. The only thing i learnt, was what made a bad manager. There was No Job security as people were fired in the first half of there second day if there wasn't a sale, even though in the interview we were told we had a one month trial.
Pros
Friendly sale colleagues
Cons
As stated in review
AMAZING CHARITY TO WORK FOR
SENIOR HEALTHCARE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Worcester, ENG19 January 2015
Due to the nature of this job i did nights supporting families giving them support some would go to bed some wanted to stay up not knowing there loved one would make it the next day.Would make sure the patient was comfortable at night personal care assist with diet and fluids if they wanted it.The hardest part of my job was supporting the families i always felt if they could trust me and see what support i could give them and giving them to express there feelings most mornings i would come away with a hug and a thank you that made my job worth it also most important it was a peaceful death being able to be a step ahead contacting doctors and nurses at the right time.
Pros
being able to support patient and families
Achievement and helping others
Volunteer Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  London1 March 2016
Collecting from public places as well as organising and taking part in fundraising events. I learned it is important to help people in a less fortunate position than you.
As inefficient as it gets
Senior Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  lincolnshire13 May 2015
We Nurses do great work at the sharp end, in front of Patients and their loved one's. Overall though, the Charity is a terrible place to work. The management are inefficient and largely uncaring. There is a culture of bullying and lack of respect for staff and absolutely no effort is made to provide a work/ life balance or to listen to staff. The work is fantastic. Being with Patients is fantastic, but dealing with the organisation is horrendous!
Pros
the patients one works with
Cons
management inefficiency and lack of care
Productive but young and vibrant work space.
Recruitment Administrator, HR Department (Former Employee) –  Victoria, London1 September 2015
My experience at Marie Curie was a fantastic one. Although this was a contract job and I had to leave within a short period of time, I am still in contact with all my colleagues. Working at Marie Curie allowed me to master my skills in recruitment whereas prior to that recruitment was just a part of a wide range of different jobs I performed.
Pros
Lively Team
Cons
Lack of job security as the whole team was on a temporary contract.
review
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  port talbot9 February 2016
the job it self was good i was messed about alot. they didnt pay me for 3 months and for 12 months i was covering i was not contracted
Mainly Night Duty, rewarding work
Marie Curie Nurse (Former Employee) –  North Somerset area, covered a 25 mile radius6 January 2016
Work sporadic so not to rely on as an income. Very rewarding work when it was available.
Worked unsupervised, some people did not like the isolation of the job.
Pros
Interesting and varied, met people from all walks of life
Cons
Not knowing whether you had work until last day of availability
Helpful and really great environment
Financial Administration Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT6 July 2013
I'm working in MCCC as a volunteer I am very happy to be part of the Support Administration Team, because I think they are doing a great social work. Each week is exciting because I'm learning new things for me, and a very nice work environment, the relationship with colleagues is very good and helpful.
In my opinion the management does a great job, there are lots of people working there between workers and volunteers, is very well organized, everyone knows their job and reach the goals.
At the moment I can not talk about a hard day at work and what I like most about my job is that it gives me the opportunity to learn new tasks.
learning and fun enviroment
store assistant (Current Employee) –  huyton1 June 2015
a typical day of work is very busy always making sure the shelves and rails are stocked up and tidy at all times, working on the till and trying to sell stock, making sure the customer leaves the store happy and with hat they wanted. when ne stock comes in the store sort the stock out into what where keeping and what e are sending on then sort them into omens, men's and children's they do a stock check and work out how much you would make from all the donated goods.

I learned a lot about myself and other people volunteering. I learned a lot for my manager and hat it takes to be a manger of a store , the hardest part of the job is not having what the customer wanted and letting them down and the most enjoyable part is talking to the customers and building a relationship with them.
Pros
9-5 monday to friday
Cons
orking on sunday
Satisfying and rewarding work
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, ENG18 June 2014
It is hard, but rewarding work that covers a surprising variety of tasks from one minute to the next. I highly recommend volunteering for at least a few weeks for the insight it provides into the work that goes in to running a charity shop. Management are surprisingly firm with the volunteers, often expecting a level of work one would encounter at a paid position, but they are always helpful and ultimately thankful for any contribution.
Pros
Personally rewarding, interesting and varied work
Cons
confusing and contradictory corporate guidelines, occasionally unhygienic and unpleasant work

4.5