MARCH OF DIMES CANADA Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent employer. Management stands by their employees.
Service Support Attendant (Current Employee) –  Haldimand County, ONDecember 20, 2015
I have worked here as a SSA for 6 years. Treated very well, am respected and feel like I count in the organization. Well paid, excellent conflict resolution system. I like the independence of my position knowing I have management support and backup. Staff management meetings are well run and coworkers always friendly and fun. I have done very well here. The hardest part of my job is the lack of job security. I have lost 4 consumers just this year which reduced my pay to half. I don't understand how there is so little work for us here in a large town where other agencies are swamped. The most enjoyable part is I feel that I am a valuable and well compensated employee for the service and heart I put into my work each day.
Pros
Employment in my home town, well paid with travel time and good mileage compensation. Conflict resolution process is excellent.
Cons
Lack of job security and lack of consumers.
Great company to work for
Support Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ONApril 1, 2016
good people to work with
very busy schedules
compared to other home care companies they are alot better
more hours
better benefits
pension plan
Its a sad place
ABI Rehabilitation Worker (Former Employee) –  York RegionAugust 12, 2016
Management does not care about consumers or the staff. It was unfortunate to see and experience it first hand. Turn over of staff is unprecedented, but middle management still does not care to explore why - consumers are definitely affected by this.
Workers are pushed to do more that they are qualified to do, sometimes more, sometimes less. Misleading title - I can say there was nothing rehabilitative about this place.
Best part of the job is hanging out with the clients, worst part is understanding how bad the service is, politics and pay (great benefits though).
Team work is great if you click with the coworkers and work exceptionally hard.
Expecting to be appreciated for your work is a waste of time. If you are passionate about helping people, this is not where you should be.
Pros
Awesome consumers
Cons
Everything outlined in the review
Terrible place to work in St. Catharines location
SSA (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesJune 15, 2016
Very poor management. They treat you like cattle and as long as they have someone covering a shift they could care less how happy you are about it or if you are even able to do it. There was 0 work life balance. We were guilt tripped into taking shifts because management refused to hire more staff. If you get hired part time, you are forced to work overtime. There are no full time roles...those are given to select workers after years of working there. Being hired part time was a lie. If you get sick at work, you can forget about being able to go home sick. They wont let you and they get mad at you for it. One manager indirectly threatened me saying I wouldn't be able to become a superviser if I am the type that "gets sick". Overall this was a very degrading place to work. The workers and some supervisors were lovely but sadly have no control. The st.Cath location was a miserably run place. I did not choose to stay very long even though I loved my job very much.
Pros
Good workers and nice consumers
Cons
Forced to work more than promised, Guilt tripped for not being able to take shifts or being sick, Unqualified and miserable manager, As well as some supervisors.
Rewarding work, challenging work culture
Coordinator of Education and Health Promotion (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 21, 2016
The work is meaningful and the employees are great. The culture fostered by upper management and the exiting system is quite challenging and leads to high turnover and employee disengagement.
Pros
Meaningful work, great people
Cons
Management lacks vision and support
Ssa
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 8, 2016
Very poor management. Scheduling is poor. Co-workers are not too friendly. If they don't like you they just gonna dump you without any reason. On call phone is not always available. Newbies are not treated very well and will be schedule for difficult consumers.
Fun Place to work
Social Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Still a newbie to the company.
So far so good.
Mileage and Time travel is paid. Open communication to your leaders. Coworkers are very open minded, helpful and always willing to help. They hold trainings and meeting for more improvements.

They accommodate your flexibility, they are very understanding of what are your capabilities and they take everything professionally and and with consideration.
Pros
flexibility, approachable staff, team work
Cons
shiftings, vacant hours
Excellent Employer
Support Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ONAugust 7, 2015
MODC's main focus is to provide support services to people with physical disabilities. Staff are treated well, and benefits are great. Admin team is willing to work with staff to create schedules to balance home/work life.
Pros
positive atmosphere
Cons
a lot of travel
Good people, not enough staff for work needed
Executive Assistant, Finance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Great staff. good work environment. Not enough staff to complete work though. Pay is much lower than any other not for profit organization I have worked for and the workload is substantially higher.
Pros
Office hours - 9:00 to 4:30
Cons
Often work way beyond those hours
An excellent team to be a part of; Great place to work
Support Services Attendant (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 9, 2015
A typical day for a Support Service Attendant at March of Dimes consists of following a booking schedule and attending appointments with March of Dimes' consumers. SSAs work with the consumers in their apartment with tasks such as housekeeping, meal preparation and planning, as well as assisting with personal care tasks such as showering and toileting. Those with strong time management skills would do especially well in this work place environment. However, moving up the ladder, working more shifts and gaining seniority may prove to be difficult, as some of the employees have been employed by March of Dimes for over 20 years and receive a majority of the available shifts.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Will rank low in seniority for a long period of time, lack of shifts available due to lack of seniority
The work is essential fun and fulfilling but too much bureacracy
Vocational Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 10, 2012
I entered into this line of work as a means to earn a living wage while completing my Master's. For the most part, several of the managers are supportive and considerate of life-work balance but days can be very long and there is a lot of travel involved.
Pros
good, competitive pay, compensation for travel time, fuel reimbursement
Cons
too much bureacracy
Supportive Work enviroment
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2015
-Supportive Management
-Helpful co-workers
-Person Directed Planning
-Programs geared towards increasing ones quality of life

My time with March of Dimes has been positive, and productive.
Challenging and rewarding role
National Manager Employment Services - East Canada (Former Employee) –  Qu├ębec City, QCOctober 9, 2014
Learned much of the diverse operations of a Not-For-Profit and its intricate and sometimes complex systems.

The most rewarding part of the job is establishing those collaborative relationships which resulted in the changing and benefits to a or several person's lives.

The position allowed for my talent as a program manager with strong strategic planning to shine through. The results of these have become known on a national front.
Pros
played a part in history
Cons
n/a
Great Place to Work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  HamiltonJanuary 29, 2014
I currently work for the March of Dimes and would like to say
its a very rewarding job. The staff are wonderful, there is lots of training provided and the clients make it all worth the while.
The driving is sometimes troublesome with weather condidtions etc. however if you have a big heart and like to help others this
is a great place to work.
Pros
great benefits, lots of hours available to work, good people to work with
Cons
sometimes driving in unpredictable weather
Data Entry
"Data Entry, Filling, " (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntFebruary 18, 2015
It was fun./ the co-workers were awesome, the management was great. I loved the job.The job was easy for me.I imputed data in the computer.
not enough hours to work with.
support worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond HillJuly 5, 2015
one hour travel to client and one hour work, if you work 3 hours they will not shoulder any travel time. 3 hour is considered full time work for one client. its a waste of time.
March of Dimes
Garbage (Former Employee) –  Tornoto, and HamitonApril 24, 2013
This place is a joke. They try to recuit unemployeed individuals anywhere a workplace will take them. They will send them to a dump because they get paid a large amount for doing so. They do not put into consideration what these individuals like or enjoy. It is all about the pay check. I've learned that the higher up people could careless about the people who walk into the office, some of them are so up-tight and discuss individuals a lower class or not as worthy as themselves. Companies, people looking for employment STAY AWAY!!! I am telling you, you will not enjoy your time with March of Dimes, or your work placement.
Pros
the employees make good money, if you enjoy gossip; perfect place to get hired
Cons
employees are only in it for the paycheck, they dont care about anything else, or you as an individual
Fulfilling workplace with vast opportunities to care and love
Support Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, OntarioNovember 29, 2013
I wake up everyday full of energy to go out there and be blessing and source of hope to the sick and disabled souls. I help them achieve the needs of their activities of daily living in the comfort of the client's home.
We share responsibilities with a great team of workmates and supportive supervision.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to put a smile and a sense of hope to my clients. To bridge the gap and make them a meet their daily needs just like every normal person.
The hardest part is braving all kinds of weather conditions and traffic situations to try and get to my clients on time so not to disrupt their plans and daily goals.
Pros
the opportunity to give love and care
Cons
driving in unfavorable weather conditions
Employees are underappreciated
ABI Rehabilitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 14, 2013
- This organization has no respect or appreciation for it's employees. No matter what the situation, the consumer will ALWAYS come first, and the employee will ALWAYS come last.

- The title of "ABI Rehabilitation Worker" is unclear and misleading. The role involves a lot of assistance with cleaning and personal care, which takes away from time that could be spent on programing. The nature of the job is more in line with that of a support worker or PSW title.

-Bureaucracy often gets in the way of rehabilitation efforts and because of this the consumer has limited access to programs or opportunities that could be beneficial to his or her rehabilitation.
Pros
co-workers and consumers were awesome!
Cons
bureaucracy
Work place Review
Service Support Attentdent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 26, 2014
Work was on a specific time schedule, everything needed to be done at certain time preferred by the consumer. This was a challenge at times, but not always.

I learned that communication overall is key, and not to take things personally as well is very important.

Co- workers were very friendly

Chatting with the consumers and being a team member was the most enjoyable part of my job
Pros
free lunches at meetings, friendly staff and very generous
Cons
not enough time with each client and rush around most days