The incumbent supervises hourly employees on a shift within a department in the achievement of manufacturing workloads with due emphasis on quality, yields, efficiencies, food and employee safety.
- Sets a good example to all associates and provides effective leadership, coaching and training to everyone under his or her direction.
- Ensures that a high level of morale is maintained among associates under their direction and creates an environment where associates are motivated to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Leads work groups and help to identify projects through coaching and guidance of the group, in an effort to improve quality and productivity in their areas
- Ensures that company quality, efficiency, and production objectives are achieved in the areas under their supervision by establishing or adjusting work procedures as required.
- Monitors the performance of all personnel and activities under their supervision on a regular basis to ensure optimum performance, and provides counseling and/or corrective action to associates not meeting expectations.
- Communicates and coordinates with supervisors on all contingent shifts to ensure that each shift operates at optimum efficiency.
- Suggests and implements corrective actions to improve quality and productivity both within and, where possible, beyond the scope of their position, through the use of Six Sigma tools.
- Confers with managers and supervisors of other departments to coordinate inter-department activities and provide feedback regarding inter-related department issues
- Using sound technical judgment, ensures all production equipment/processes are operating at optimum rates and in accordance with SOPs
- Reports all equipment and building deficiencies to Maintenance Supervisor, and recommends replacements or overhauls as necessary
- Initiates and participates in the design and implementation of improved production and cost reduction methods through the use of Six Sigma
- Works proactively to ensure customer order deadlines are met, supervising overtime shifts if required
- Analyzes and resolves work issues, and assists workers in solving work problems.
- Interprets company policies and procedures to associates including but not limited to HACCP, GMPs and health and safety requirements and ensures compliance of same.
- Complies with all company and government legislated health and safety policies and practices
- Takes appropriate corrective action when personnel under their direction are in breach of company and/or government legislated HACCP, GMPs, ESA and health and safety policies and practices.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a unionized meat or food processing environment,
- Demonstrated leadership skills,
- SAP experience and OEE/Lean manufacturing experience
- Post-secondary education or equivalent by having completed a recognized food processing, engineering technology, or business management program through continuing education,
- A strong communicator, both written and oral, who is confident, decisive, able to deal with conflict and yet achieve win-win results,
- Willing to relocate for promotional opportunities and career development.
- Ability to get things done with minimal supervision and the capability to work flexible hours, including weekends, when required
Indeed - 30+ days ago
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading consumer packaged food company, headquartered in Toronto with operations across Canada and in the United...