Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

I learned a lot working here. Fun place to work, very busy
Occupational Health Coordinator/Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 18, 2015
I worked days, varying hours each day depending upon employee needs at the time. I would start my day checking my phone messages and emails for any high priority items that I would need to deal with that day. Following this, I would go out into the production areas to attend production meetings and meet with any employees requiring follow up due to illness, injury etc. This could be anywhere from 1-25 employees per department that would need to see me. I would return to my office and begin following up with employees on short term, long term, or WCB disability. Follow up included ensuring I had proper medical documentation to substantiate their time off, obtaining updates on their condition and following up with their health care providers as needed. Throughout the day, I was often called back out to production areas if any medical emergencies occurred or any accidents that needed to be investigated as well as having employees stop in for BP or Glucose testing. I was part of committees such as a smoking cessation committee, musculoskeletal injury committee, etc. I would also attend multidisciplinary team meetings, employee disciplinary and union meetings etc.

My manager and coworkers were awesome! We had a great team and worked very well together. It was like a work family!

The hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult employees. We often had employees with poor work ethic that would drag their heels a bit when it came to coming back to work. It was occasionally a struggle to reason with these employees but for the most part, I would be successful in
  more... getting these people back to work.

Every aspect of my job was enjoyable. It would be very hard to pick just one thing that I enjoyed the most.
food probuton
food (Former Employee) –  saskatoonOctober 14, 2015
i only for work for maple for few month only n i wasnt make much so its was only once week pay n its was everyday work cause its just doing food production thing
Pros
nope
Cons
loved the crew not fond of the company
Machine Operator/ Rack Loader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 7, 2015
the best part of my job was the great people i worked with they were all fantastic, i had alot of fun working at maple leaf when the machines worked right and we had the tools to do our job
benefits
Cons
odd hours force ins on saturday
Productive and efficient shop floor
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 27, 2015
To be worked in a good team and having fun as a team member.Having great co-operation between the teams.I am very well
treated as a team member.I learned the process as well as the working culture.
Pros
pizza party
Cons
hard woking hours
same routine
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBSeptember 11, 2015
I learnt to work all kind of people. Management is not much effective. Working with different people are good to know the culture and languages of them.
Pros
good timing for me
Cons
long same routine hours
It was ok
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton,ONTAugust 14, 2015
Maple Leaf was a good place to work but there was shortage of work. Also it was hard to work out the hours and the hard work at my age. Another thing is that it was fun to work there but it's time for me to move on from the company. This is because of my age and that I get back pain from the pulling of the product.
Pros
fun
Cons
shortage of work
good place to work
Smokehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 20, 2015
I worked at he former Schneider Foods plant in Kitchener. I worked with a strong team of individuals in the smokehouse. Management was supportive.
Good qualified and great leaders but very demanding
Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJuly 10, 2015
Depending on where you work, it can vary. People working at Corporate offices have good work-life balance and many perks.

Employees at the manufacturing plants not so much. Everyone is over worked and underpaid including salaried and hourly.
Over all culture is about executing at any cost with little or no recognition. Focus on development and training is low but they are trying to get better at it.
Pros
free food samples
Great Company
People Coordinator/Receptionist/Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Hamitlon ontarioJuly 10, 2015
Overall good experience, long days, start up work very hard. Learned new skills and worked along side a lot of great people.
Pros
Corporation
Cons
Long days
Energetic, fast pace , fun environment to work
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  MississaugJuly 10, 2015
Maple Leaf Foods was a fun and friendly environment to worked, I was given the opportunity to learn and developed over the years as Administrator. The management gives you the opportunity to be authoritive of what you do with their approval . The colleagues were warm and friendly. It was hard at times to keep up with the ever changing task and keep up with deadlines. Overall, I enjoyed having being able to management my work from start to finish and being flexible of what you do.
Pros
Get to tasted test products before they are launched..
Cons
Long hours at times
Challenging environment with plenty of opportunity
Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 2, 2015
In my experiences, my current employer provides an exceptional workplace that offers plenty of room for advancement. Their commitment to their employees and customers is quite astounding and the company possesses a very strong sense of environmental awareness. Very strong measures are also placed on employee health and safety as well as food safety.
Avoid
Robot Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, OnMay 29, 2015
I'd avoid working for this new Heritage plant as everything has gone down hill within the last few weeks. Supervisors Vs. Employees. Cold as heck on the floor now and constant bull from everyone. The coworkers are the only good point of this place.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Supervisors are clueless and mindless, spineless wimps.
Further Processing (Bacon)
Food Safety and Lab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKMay 27, 2015
The facility received pork bellies that were further processed into sliced, packaged bacon. This job entailed the implementation of the corporate QA programming ,verification of production records and management of nitrate levels in the brine and meat. I also worked as Sanitation Supervisor at the facility.
Pros
The facility was established and had a smooth operation, with strong relations with the inspector.
Cons
The facility relied greatly on 'tribal knowledge', thereby impacting the department's technical direction.
Productive and Good Environment
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ONMay 25, 2015
A typical day at work would be going in and punching in, and then putting the uniform on such as an apron, gloves, mesh gloves, and going to a line and cutting raw meat to specific weights everyday. Then get a 10 minute first break, a half hour lunch, and then another 10 minute break. I learned how to work well with people from all different kinds of cultures, and also how to work at a fast pace to make sure I was keeping up with the amounts of chicken to have cut by a certain time limit. I also learned how to work in a factory, because it is a different setting then most places. The co-workers were from different cultures and mainly spoke with different languages, but were very hard working and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job would have been standing on concrete all day, but I managed to get used to it. Most enjoyable part was meeting all the people I got to meet, and all the different techniques I got to learn.
Pros
Benefits, Co-workers, Fast Speed
Cons
Long hours, Concrete Floors, Cold
A secure place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ONMay 24, 2015
If you don't mind working in the cold, this is a good steady place to work. Its secure, and pays well. The staff is pretty upbeat, and the team leaders always have your back.
Great team members to work with
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 21, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with dedicated, hard working team members. It was great to see the transition towards a more progressive culture. Go Maple Leaf!
I Take initiative and exercise timely and good judgment in day to day business decisions
Senior production team leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, OntarioMay 16, 2015
Physically fit and able to multitask, quickly adjusting from one task to another. I have a great team working around me and when I go to work I go with passion

At times presence is required on the production floor for long periods of time and/or repetitively but this makes the most enjoyable part of the job
productive environment and leader in food safety
HACCP Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
- Frequent communication between CFIA inspector and management teams
- MOPs, FSEP, HACCP
- Coworkers were friendly and hardworking people
Pros
good benefits
Worst HR Team at Brandon Plant
Meat cutter (Current Employee) –  BrandonMay 10, 2015
Avoid working for these guys at all cost. You are just a number, no one cares about you whatsoever. If you are planning to relocate with their 'relocation allowance' please don't. It's a bad game they have to get money from the government not that they want to help you.
Pros
Cons
Everything. Worst HR. They should get fired all!!
its a good job to start you off in life
labour (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 9, 2015
well the job and the people are good but like any job it has its ups and downs the pay is not bad we do have good benefits if they want to keep people the starting wage would be 17 but the turn over right is crazy now everyone is gitting out for better money
Pros
noting
Cons
not good starting wage

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location