Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
SENIOR ACCOUNT SPECIALIST/SUPPLY CHAIN (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: company truck load sales
Cons: change
Fast paced, constantly changing enviroment. Corporate Values. Work life balance. The most enjoyable is daily interaction with customers and cross funtional departments.
Able to handle any job. . .
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: 30 minutes
Cons: 45 to 50 hrs weekly
A morning shift that starts from 6 Am to 2:30. I worked with different kinds of people, even those that don't speak English well. One of the hardest part of the job has to do with finding yourself in the midst of people of different beliefs, culture and languages and to adjust yourself. we made jokes and had fun during breaks and it helps make the job – more... easy for us. We had to obey every rule of the Employer, that is: start on time, go to and from break on time and never leave production area without permission. – less
Very good place to work
Intern/ELT student (Former Employee), MississaugaJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: teamwork
Very friendly and supportive working environments motivated me to work hard and do teamwork.
an ok company to work for
Blander operator (Current Employee), Kitchener ONJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: good money easy work, frendly coworkers.
Cons: damp, cold environment, company sees you as numbers not people, they care alot more about money then there employees, if you get injured dont expect the company to help to much
Typical work day is slow a bit steady. Since I have been at maple leaf I haven't really learned much. The work environment is not bad. The environment is cold and damp and every one in management doesn't know wants going on since they are hired off the street. If you ask for uniforms they wont give it to you. The employees are really good people to – more... work with and helps the day go by when you can joke around with them. One con about maple leaf is that they don't do anything to try to minimize the amount of injuries until its to late. (e.g. an accident happened involving a walkie operator and a stacker operator. The machines weren't properly maintained and to fast for the environment for and the stacker operator lightly hit the walkie operator and broke the employees leg in three spots. After that accident maple leaf then desired 3months later to slow down all of the machines. – less
Poor management ....
Assembler/Utility (Current Employee), Thamesford, ONJanuary 7, 2013
I like working there . but i think i have alot more talent to be used elswhere in automotive
Jigger Driver and Whizzard Knife Operator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: success sharing
Start the day with good health beacause i don't want to contaminate my work because basically i am working with food or what is called "food security". Working on the production line requires skills, good health, proper hygene and tools and equipments are sterile. Again team work and good management is the key for success. Working with Maple Leaf Foods – more... require tender loving care because i dont only think of what i get for working but i also think of what the consumers will get. – less
Productive, constant workplace
Labourer (Former Employee), Brandon, MBDecember 18, 2012
Pros: hot meals in the cafeteria
Cons: working minimum wage
-Requires a lot of standing
-I learned alot about the company and its process in the meat industries.
-Management was firm and fair. Informed their employees on the safety hazzards of the job and precautions
-Maple Leaf is a multi-cultural workplace with many different languages and the hardest part of the job was interacting with fellow employees
-The – more... most enjoyable part of the job was definitely working in Shipping and Rails. Losing time in Lines organizing and stacking boxes of meat – less
Very friendly enviroment and a great joy to work there
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (CO-OP PLACEMENT) (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 5, 2012
Pros: friendly enviroment
Cons: not enough hours
very busy
learned that everyone is there to help
very good management
co-workers very friendly
cant say that there is a hrd part about the job enjoy everything about it
Red Flag
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaDecember 4, 2012
Pros – **The Associates- From Lead Hands, Machine Operators,Semi Skilled Labour, Mechanics, Sanitation department it is all of you that drives this company and with out your hard work and co-operation their would be no MLCF. Great bunch to work with!

**Experience-If your fresh out of university or college it is a good place to get your feet wet. Literally.

Cons – more... – **Top heavy on the operations management side-Senior Production Supervisor role is a NON value added position and only limits the channel of communication between Production Supervisors and Production Managers

**Lacks training and development of Leadership team- Internal training and professional development programs are non existent on off shifts and slim to none on preferred shifts.

**Talent Retention-This company and this location specifically struggles to retain top talent and young talent. The Veteran leaders who poured the foundation of the plant stick around for ever with the stone age mentality of operations management. This creates a road block for the young leaders who waste away on off shifts and ultimately leave. There is no succession planning.

**Work Life Balance-Be prepared to work night shift or evening shift for min. of 7-10 years before you even get a shot at working regular day shift hours.

**Environment-Cold and Damp.

Advice to Senior Management – **Eliminate the Senior Production Supervisor role as it would force Production Managers and Manufacturing Managers to bridge the gap between them and the Production Supervisors. Too much information gets lost due to going through too many channels of distribution.

**Re-instate SLP program or offer some sort of post secondary program hosted by the company to further those leaders who want to gain more knowledge in engineering, business etc.

**Get on the bandwagon of succession planing with your younger Production Supervisors who have 30+ more years of service ahead of them to contribute to this company. It does not benifit the company to have a revolving door and high turnover of young leaders while the relics ride out their time.

Winnipeg Manitoba. Lagimodiere plant specific – less
Very unorginized
Machine Operator/QA Auditor (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 23, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: everything
My plant is closing in 2014 and once it was announced most people stopped caring anymore and because we have a union they cant get rid of the lazy useless people or supervisors so its a very demotivational place to work.
meet cutter
Home depot, AB Part time (Former Employee), Brandon, MBNovember 13, 2012
Pros: good people
Cons: long hours
I worked in the area of belly line handled various types of meat cutting, management had knives and tools, also worked in the cutting area in the ribs, was a very stable and also grateful.
Productive, challenging, fun place to launch a career
Six Sigma Black Belt (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2012
-Strong Values
- They do what they say and say what they do
- Transparent
- Fact based driven decision making
- Enjoyed having a seat at the table as all value information with a foundation
assembly line
Production Worker (Former Employee), Moncton, NBSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: hours
Cons: no job security
work in a assembly line to prepare product i did learn to work diligently management was structured well with the amount of employees they dealt with it the right way. co-workers were some what friendly not all working at same pace, that was a low level pay and no security. the hours
Interesting place
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee), Thamesford, ONAugust 21, 2012
Pros: discounts on food
Cons: unstable scheduling
Lots of good training provided, excellent opportunity for advancement
Order Picker (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKAugust 18, 2012
It's a good job , but looking to move on in life. New place and meet new people.
Production house with machines running all over the place.
Rider and Machine Operator (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 8, 2012
Pros: full benefits.
Cons: late evening working hours.
I drive the rider to transfer the raw material to the assembly line and packaged foods to different food sections. I learned this skill after joining the Maple Leaf Foods. The work environment is very good and co-workers are very supportive in accommodating me into this workplace. I enjoy all day with fun and happiness.
Family workplace
Warehouse Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 25, 2012
Pros: prizes and meals for excellence is given
Cons: 9 hour shifts
Safety Concerns brought up at pre-shift meetings
operations results from previous day
continuous improvement from all
I enjoyed going to work everyday, and to keep busy in a fast paced environment.
ORDER PROCESSING - ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 20, 2012
When I got to work, I would organize of what needed to be done, I would start printing labels, placards, I would multi-task by issueing Invoices, for product that had to go out to customers. I would keep track of spreadsheets for supplies, trailer line-ups.
Management was great always kept you informed of what was going on and happening with the company.
My – more... co-workers and I were all team players and everyone got a long in this multi-cultural company.
The hardest part of the job was printing labels as this was a straight 7 hour task.
The most enjoyable was I could multi-task and complete different task throughout my day. – less
great and one of the best
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE & COLLECTIONS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 17, 2012
Pros: free coffee and breakfast
Cons: overtime
very very professional environment & cooperative people.
Billing and Report Analyst (Former Employee), MississaugaJuly 16, 2012
Busy and handfull work day.
Good people to work with.
Very enjoied to learn new system SAP.
The managemnet style need to be changed in my worked team

About Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a major Canadian food processing company, founded in 1927 as a merger of several major Toronto meat packers.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Photos