Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and Good Environment
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ONMay 25, 2015
A typical day at work would be going in and punching in, and then putting the uniform on such as an apron, gloves, mesh gloves, and going to a line and cutting raw meat to specific weights everyday. Then get a 10 minute first break, a half hour lunch, and then another 10 minute break. I learned how to work well with people from all different kinds of cultures, and also how to work at a fast pace to make sure I was keeping up with the amounts of chicken to have cut by a certain time limit. I also learned how to work in a factory, because it is a different setting then most places. The co-workers were from different cultures and mainly spoke with different languages, but were very hard working and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job would have been standing on concrete all day, but I managed to get used to it. Most enjoyable part was meeting all the people I got to meet, and all the different techniques I got to learn.
Pros
Benefits, Co-workers, Fast Speed
Cons
Long hours, Concrete Floors, Cold
Culture has changed over that past decade.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioMarch 11, 2015
Long hours including weekends, holidays, over vacation as well.

Not rewarded for service or effort.

Cards played close to the chest from management.

Are some good people still trying to make it a fun place to work but morale is low ..

New direction of end products and wasted money on failed projects.
Pros
pension plan
Cons
extremely long hours unrewarded
good place to work
Smokehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 20, 2015
I worked at he former Schneider Foods plant in Kitchener. I worked with a strong team of individuals in the smokehouse. Management was supportive.
i had a day shift job with benifits holidays paid and vacation
Maintenance Helper (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 5, 2015
a meat plant life dress warm and work steady production jobs line work start shift lines do not stop until break or lunch production standards have to be reached each hour..paper work to track what is being done has to be filled out hourly...no exceptions..
Pros
paid on a weekly basis
Cons
no pension to speak of
It is unfortunate that this branch is closing
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Weston, ONJanuary 17, 2015
The people I have and am working with are a good bunch, to work with and to work for. I have no regrets, in fact I have also learned a lot. The hardest thing about Maple Leaf, Bartor road Division, is knowing that it is soon coming to an end. In the short time here I, have served Maintenance as a Scheduler, then Purchaser and presently as a Supervisor. I enjoyed every position and I did them well and with pride. Supervision was new to me and with the direct guidance and coaching of my Manager, I was able to adapt quickly. Overall I think Maple Leaf was glad to have me on board, as I, being part of the team.
It's a good place to gain experience from , it's different from alot of other businesses .
sanitation worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Getting dressed in rubber overalls for major sanitizing work on production lines that killed fresh chickens and turkeys on a daily regular basis
Management was fine to work with always
My co - workers from my experience were very uptight & impatient to
work with my in - experience for that industry at that time , I was making constant mistakes as a new - comer to that workplace itself .
The hardest part of the job was the smell of turkey & chicken blood , it was very putrid that made alot of ourselves to feel queezy most of my time there
The most fun from it was to have nice chats with my manager on occasion
Pros
there were no pros included
Cons
the hours for most of my shifts were long at most un - announced times of my time there
Good learning opportunities and ability to work cross-functionally
Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  MississaugaFebruary 22, 2015
Typical day at work will involve both commissioning on plant floor, as well as data management, and office work.
There is great opportunity to learn about processing of various categories, and majority of colleagues are willing to share their knowledge.
Majority of the time hours are reasonable, however there are periods of long hours and early mornings. The hardest part of work is collaborating on tasks that are not part of others' typical responsibilities. The culture tends to revolve around each department having their set of responsibilities and unwilling to add work on top of it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to travel among locations and gain experience in different categories.
Pros
good management
Cons
cross-departmental communication/collaboration, adherence to values systems
productive environment and leader in food safety
HACCP Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
- Frequent communication between CFIA inspector and management teams
- MOPs, FSEP, HACCP
- Coworkers were friendly and hardworking people
Pros
good benefits
Exciting fast paced
Industrial Mechanic (Journeyman Millwright) (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 1, 2015
Maple Leaf Foods processes up to 18,000 hogs per day for customers worldwide. My job is to keep the equipment in top notch order to produce excellent products to our customers.
Companys expectation of some Sanitation Crew Members are unreasonable
Sanitation (Current Employee) –  HAMILTON PLANTDecember 6, 2014
Some areas need to be cleaned in 2 1/2 hours due to refrigeration set up. One person is responsible to clean about a dozen machines, about a dozen transfer belts, lots and lots of parts, atleast a dozen tubs, stands, pails. All this has to be washed, foamed,[must hunt down a portable foamer for certain machine] rinsed and sanitized all in 2 1/2 hours, huh. For about an hour HEAT is pumping out into the room, NO water fountain to be had.
Pros
???
Cons
all this food being process in the plant, yet nothing extended to employee at break times
Great team members to work with
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 21, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with dedicated, hard working team members. It was great to see the transition towards a more progressive culture. Go Maple Leaf!
A secure place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ONMay 24, 2015
If you don't mind working in the cold, this is a good steady place to work. Its secure, and pays well. The staff is pretty upbeat, and the team leaders always have your back.
Great work environment, good people, great benefits
Reach Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONNovember 20, 2014
I started out in the blending department and spent just over 2 years there. My duties as a reach truck operator were to deliver fresh and frozen meat to the machine operators. In recent months due to the plant closure coming up I was transferred to the packaging department. My role there is to package finished product. During my time at Maple Leaf I learned how to operate a reach truck, food safety procedures, and the importance of team work. The managers and co-workers are very helpful, dedicated, and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is that it can be very repetitive.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
Great team with a work hard attitude
Consultant, Innovation (Former Employee) –  Mississauga. ONNovember 11, 2014
As a Manager, you have the opportunity to work on strategic assignments and bring your recommendations forward to Sr. Management. It is a company that listens to its employees and that believes that good ideas come from all levels of the organization. The hardest part of the job was working with small budgets and big expectations. Objectives were were often unrealistic and impossible to reach, since they were dictated top-down.
Pros
management is open to new ideas coming from all levels
Cons
location in the border with brampton; objectives were dictated from the top down
productive work safe place
Multi-Vac Operator (Former Employee) –  KitchenerMarch 12, 2015
as an operator i will make sure we run the right product from start to the end, and follow schedule and do the aquarium test to prevent leak the packages. and use the right top and bottom film, top and bottom labels, date of the product. etc
this was a cold damp and noisey place to work ..
Maintenance Worker/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBOctober 6, 2014
this place was hard going but yet had some good days ..in places it was cold ,so cold ur hands would stiffen in mins and yet there were other spots that were very hot ..in maint we worked in both quite regularly..it was fast pace ..every thing was by the min ..mistakes cost bundles ..was a tough job and i enjoyed doing my part as best i could ..
Pros
was a real hands on job, that cause u to think on yer feet as quick as u can
Cons
had to come to an end ..ill miss it
i work at different locations ad every job i done in the past experience have learn alot of information about each company and it also been rewarding
Assembler n packing (Former Employee) –  Maple Leaf Food Kitchener ontarioSeptember 10, 2014
My job review overall is a great place to work .. co workers are friendly... the job itself is very hard and demanding at times . It is a clean environment . The job entales alot of manual labor. different assembly lines using muti vac and delinkers. In the food industry is very cold environment and also used proper PPE always santize evrything . My review is great love the job .. but it is closing down .. maple leaf foods Kitchener ontario
Pros
the pros it is a great place to work
Cons
it is a very cold environment .
Good company to gain exposure in warehousing and logistics
Warehouse Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 7, 2015
a typical day consisted of planning the work-flow of receiving-shipping, making sure KPIOs on trailer departures were met. A very high volume warehouse, dealing with more than 500,000 case count in and out on a daily basis.
Great place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer packaged meats company, head quartered in Toronto, Ontario. It has great work culture. Very cooperative people to work with. Lot to learn.
I always enjoyed working for this company because I was working outside mostly and meeting customers and dealing with people!
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 4, 2014
Working for Canada Bread was always challenging and there was never really two days that were the same. A lot of daily crisis but I learned how to deal with them and I always surpassed my customers expectations!
Pros
company car with fuel and all expenses, yearly bonus, free lunches and great people!
Cons
you are on call 24/7 in case of emergency and there is always some!