Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very unorginized
Machine Operator/QA Auditor (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 23, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: everything
My plant is closing in 2014 and once it was announced most people stopped caring anymore and because we have a union they cant get rid of the lazy useless people or supervisors so its a very demotivational place to work.
meet cutter
Home depot, AB Part time (Former Employee), Brandon, MBNovember 13, 2012
Pros: good people
Cons: long hours
I worked in the area of belly line handled various types of meat cutting, management had knives and tools, also worked in the cutting area in the ribs, was a very stable and also grateful.
Productive, challenging, fun place to launch a career
Six Sigma Black Belt (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2012
-Strong Values
- They do what they say and say what they do
- Transparent
- Fact based driven decision making
- Enjoyed having a seat at the table as all value information with a foundation
assembly line
Production Worker (Former Employee), Moncton, NBSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: hours
Cons: no job security
work in a assembly line to prepare product i did learn to work diligently management was structured well with the amount of employees they dealt with it the right way. co-workers were some what friendly not all working at same pace, that was a low level pay and no security. the hours
Interesting place
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee), Thamesford, ONAugust 21, 2012
Pros: discounts on food
Cons: unstable scheduling
Lots of good training provided, excellent opportunity for advancement
Order Picker (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKAugust 18, 2012
It's a good job , but looking to move on in life. New place and meet new people.
Production house with machines running all over the place.
Rider and Machine Operator (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 8, 2012
Pros: full benefits.
Cons: late evening working hours.
I drive the rider to transfer the raw material to the assembly line and packaged foods to different food sections. I learned this skill after joining the Maple Leaf Foods. The work environment is very good and co-workers are very supportive in accommodating me into this workplace. I enjoy all day with fun and happiness.
Family workplace
Warehouse Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 25, 2012
Pros: prizes and meals for excellence is given
Cons: 9 hour shifts
Safety Concerns brought up at pre-shift meetings
operations results from previous day
continuous improvement from all
I enjoyed going to work everyday, and to keep busy in a fast paced environment.
ORDER PROCESSING - ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 20, 2012
When I got to work, I would organize of what needed to be done, I would start printing labels, placards, I would multi-task by issueing Invoices, for product that had to go out to customers. I would keep track of spreadsheets for supplies, trailer line-ups.
Management was great always kept you informed of what was going on and happening with the company.
My – more... co-workers and I were all team players and everyone got a long in this multi-cultural company.
The hardest part of the job was printing labels as this was a straight 7 hour task.
The most enjoyable was I could multi-task and complete different task throughout my day. – less
great and one of the best
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE & COLLECTIONS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 17, 2012
Pros: free coffee and breakfast
Cons: overtime
very very professional environment & cooperative people.
Billing and Report Analyst (Former Employee), MississaugaJuly 16, 2012
Busy and handfull work day.
Good people to work with.
Very enjoied to learn new system SAP.
The managemnet style need to be changed in my worked team
great
Quality Assurance Technologist (Current Employee), Richmond, CAJuly 4, 2012
I love working here but the pl;ant is not in good area. Too much crime around.
It was one of the company which was later bought out by Maple Leaf and all operational and administrative functions were moved to head office.
A/R supervisor/Credit/Collection (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioJune 21, 2012
Pros: excellent culture, family atmosphere. management caring and helpful
It was wonderful company to work for. I gained excellent experience working at this company and used my skills which were used on the subsequent jobs. Culture was good. No complain.Gained experience in various accounting softwares and MS Office. Conversion from Manual accounting to computerised accounting was done very smoothly. Conversion to computerised – more... accounting was very challenging, however with team effort all functions were done very good. Gained excellent experience in accounts receivable, credit collection. commission handling, customer service and reception duties as well. Management was very supportive, helpful and caring. – less
I learned many things, improved analytical skills in food industry.
Laboratory Technician (Co-Op Program) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2012
I worked through co-op program. I learned quality control skills. Carried out sampling operations of raw materials, in-process and finished products. Maintained report data and ensured all the necessary documentation was complete.
Interesting and challenging
Power engineer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMay 4, 2012
Pros: cheap dinners
Cons: plant closed down
Good place to work,
Corporate restructuring , shutting plants down that were still viable was a big issue.
is not the place it used to be since Shneider's family sold it
Packaging Dept. Processing Team Member (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 22, 2012
Cons: place is closing down
very haotic place sometimes is hard to understand what the prioryty are.
Good pay, lousy environment
Business Development Manager / Account Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 18, 2012
Pros: compensation, "free" company car.
Cons: work / life balance, politics
Maple Leaf is a company run by its Marketing department, which "owns" the P&L, but execution of the strategy is done by the Sales team. This leads to aggressive positioning (finger pointing, etc) between Marketing and Sales that is often difficult to resolve.

A typical day at work as a Business Development Manager includes 3 to 4 hours of internal – more... meetings, between 50 and 100 emails (most of them internal), and a couple of phone calls and emails to the customer. The largest share of the workload is to manage internal relationships, not to work with the customer. Work / life balance is not taken seriously.

The most valuable lessons I learned during my time at Maple Leaf were about the dangers of overspecialization and politics. Maple Leaf has very tightly determined roles, is heavily "siloed", and doesn't often welcome cross-functional expertise that challenges the status quo. In addition, Maple Leaf is run on internal relationships, making it very difficult to achieve meaningful change.

Individuals who are seeking well compensated specialized work will probably enjoy Maple Leaf. Those who are hoping to contribute on a cross-functional level would, in my opinion, be better served by pursuing a Tier 2 or Tier 3 employer instead of Maple Leaf. Those preferring a "Category Management" approach to Sales will probably not be comfortable at Maple Leaf. Relationships continue to run the business and fact-based selling is a distant second. – less

Trevor – May 11, 2012

I completely agree with this statement. If you have any extra schooling, or you want to provide productive inputs to improve things, you may as well not even enter the facility. This is all false however, if you have a family member working there. Then you could have no schooling and become a supervisor.

Great Management
----------------------------------------
etc etc
Fun to work at Maple Leaf Foods
ProcureWeb (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 30, 2012
Producers in the chain can view not only their customers' requirements but also demand information of their customers. This enables them to anticipate demand manage production and improve capacity utilization.
Great working conditions and people
Plant Service Operator (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 26, 2012
Pros: central location in kitchener
Cons: closing in 2 years
Everyone works together and care about their jobs. High quality products.

About Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a major Canadian food processing company, founded in 1927 as a merger of several major Toronto meat packers.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Photos