Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Great Company!
ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 May 2016
Great company culture with great leaders. My role was heavily team based and everyone was smart and great to work with. The company's values are not just letters on the wall, everyone authentically lives and works by them daily.
productive environment and leader in food safety
HACCP Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 May 2015
- Frequent communication between CFIA inspector and management teams
- MOPs, FSEP, HACCP
- Coworkers were friendly and hardworking people
Pros
good benefits
terrible
Production Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 June 2016
terrible nothing else to say, poorly ran! going down hill in the next few years! The human resources doesn't care about its employees
very un-caring enviornment
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 June 2016
I learned time managment and how to achieve goals in a timely fasion but the managment was unorganized and not personable
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 February 2016
Day always started smooth, always learned how to use the tools needed for the various jobs. Management was always on the watch of all the workers, everyone got along, that hardest part was always passing the threshold of those first few hours of work.
the most enjoyable part was working with great people everyday
Pros
Healthy Lunches
Cons
Stinky
Great place to work, with lots of great people
Spice Room Controller (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB21 February 2014
Maple leaf Consumer foods was a place with lots of different jobs .
Giving you a chance to learn new skills like cutting meats to working with forklifts. And many good employee benefits. I was lucky to have very good foremans to work for . The most enjoyable part of my job was the feeling of accomplishment when I completed my days work.
Pros
It allowed me to provide for my family for 31 years
Cons
Working with chemicals
N/a
Shipper (Current Employee) –  St. Marys, ON12 May 2016
best co. ever work pay and everything is a ok. very physical work god pay hard work flex shifts no time for anything just work
Pros
A
Cons
Z
its a good job to start you off in life
labour (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB9 May 2015
well the job and the people are good but like any job it has its ups and downs the pay is not bad we do have good benefits if they want to keep people the starting wage would be 17 but the turn over right is crazy now everyone is gitting out for better money
Pros
noting
Cons
not good starting wage
Production house with machines running all over the place.
Rider and Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 August 2012
I drive the rider to transfer the raw material to the assembly line and packaged foods to different food sections. I learned this skill after joining the Maple Leaf Foods. The work environment is very good and co-workers are very supportive in accommodating me into this workplace. I enjoy all day with fun and happiness.
Pros
full benefits.
Cons
late evening working hours.
Competitive workplace
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 January 2016
Extremely busy environment with lack of communication, organization and proper planning.

It is a good place to work if you are extremely driven, and have an aggressive personality. If you are more passive and want a coaching environment, this is not the ideal workplace.
Pros
Free lunches, corporate card, paid cellphone
Cons
extremely long hours
Good learning opportunities and ability to work cross-functionally
Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga22 February 2015
Typical day at work will involve both commissioning on plant floor, as well as data management, and office work.
There is great opportunity to learn about processing of various categories, and majority of colleagues are willing to share their knowledge.
Majority of the time hours are reasonable, however there are periods of long hours and early mornings. The hardest part of work is collaborating on tasks that are not part of others' typical responsibilities. The culture tends to revolve around each department having their set of responsibilities and unwilling to add work on top of it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to travel among locations and gain experience in different categories.
Pros
good management
Cons
cross-departmental communication/collaboration, adherence to values systems
Great place to work, room for advancement- new skills and trainings
Supply Chain Analyst - Planning (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 February 2014
Many benefits, always room to grow and learn new skills. Team work as well as solo - good mix. Enjoyed the people and the job at Maple Leaf Foods.
Pros
Training sessions- group and individual
Cons
Keep closing facilities- ? job security
there will always be something to look forward to each day
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2016
My co-workers are very helpful and they make me forget that our job is not really that easy. Though our job is quite tiring, we've managed to balance our personal and work life.
Pros
more overtimes with free meals
very productive
admin asssistant (Former Employee) –  toronto5 February 2014
My typical day starts with checking all details and greeting customers and helping them with their debit and credit accounts.
Most enjoyable part is when we have a challenged projects and meetings.
My co-workers were very co-operative and worked well as a team.
Pros
nice salary
Cons
too much politics
Energetic, fast pace , fun environment to work
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississaug10 July 2015
Maple Leaf Foods was a fun and friendly environment to worked, I was given the opportunity to learn and developed over the years as Administrator. The management gives you the opportunity to be authoritive of what you do with their approval . The colleagues were warm and friendly. It was hard at times to keep up with the ever changing task and keep up with deadlines. Overall, I enjoyed having being able to management my work from start to finish and being flexible of what you do.
Pros
Get to tasted test products before they are launched..
Cons
Long hours at times
Fun place to work,lots of opportunities for growth.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 March 2014
Typical 5 days 8 hours shifts. Lots of health and safety training, and power equipment training provided. Great people to work with. Salary is OK. Management is fair.Most enjoyable part is to get the job done.
stable employment
Skilled Labourer (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB26 August 2013
It's a highly stressful job. There is a lot of politics, supervisors and co-workers aren't always on the same page. But good pay, bonuses, benefits, and a stable job.
Pros
decent pay, able to charge up meals.
Cons
Too much stress, supervisors are difficult to get along with.
Work life balance was a consideration
Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 April 2016
Typical day was a 7 to 7:30 start, and ended around 3:45 to 4.
I enjoyed Maple Leaf foods. I was given the opportunity to take the lead on many projects.
Good company
Senior Finance Analyst, Logistics (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 March 2016
Great company and culture, work, life balance.
requirements to work at MLF: adaptability, able to deal with strict deadlines and high volume
Good pay, lousy environment
Business Development Manager / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 April 2012
Maple Leaf is a company run by its Marketing department, which "owns" the P&L, but execution of the strategy is done by the Sales team. This leads to aggressive positioning (finger pointing, etc) between Marketing and Sales that is often difficult to resolve.

A typical day at work as a Business Development Manager includes 3 to 4 hours of internal meetings, between 50 and 100 emails (most of them internal), and a couple of phone calls and emails to the customer. The largest share of the workload is to manage internal relationships, not to work with the customer. Work / life balance is not taken seriously.

The most valuable lessons I learned during my time at Maple Leaf were about the dangers of overspecialization and politics. Maple Leaf has very tightly determined roles, is heavily "siloed", and doesn't often welcome cross-functional expertise that challenges the status quo. In addition, Maple Leaf is run on internal relationships, making it very difficult to achieve meaningful change.

Individuals who are seeking well compensated specialized work will probably enjoy Maple Leaf. Those who are hoping to contribute on a cross-functional level would, in my opinion, be better served by pursuing a Tier 2 or Tier 3 employer instead of Maple Leaf. Those preferring a "Category Management" approach to Sales will probably not be comfortable at Maple Leaf. Relationships continue to run the business and fact-based selling is a distant second.
Pros
compensation, "free" company car.
Cons
work / life balance, politics