Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

ok place to work,good benefits
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 January 2016
I felt like I was being held back from moving up to a higher paying job my co workers all spoke in their foreign language,which was frustrating.The hardest part was I was always busy being the only one doing the job, they were also long hours.They were 4 day weeks
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Being held back
One of the best corp. cultures
Demand Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 May 2016
One of the best corporate cultures I have ever experienced. Plenty of room for growth in all possible business and operations sectors.
Productive and joyful energetic enviromnent
General Labour (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB21 January 2016
Mon-Fri 3:30pm to 10:00pm
Go to the Locker rooms zone 9 get dress wear pants jacket helmet
Beginning of every shift meet my supervisor in the cut floor zone 3
Work on assembly line transporting raw materials
End of day store in your locker smocks jacket
I learned about General Food Hygiene Training
Food Safety facility Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points
HACCP
Three P's of food safety
Food Security Training
Food Safety Charter
Health And Safety Policy
Management very good told me everything properly and exact
Co-workers were very friendly
Hardest part of job would be repeatedly heavy lifting 50lbs
Being at a big company in Brandon Manitoba
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
The Heavy Lifting
Kind people to work with, management isn't well structured
Production Worker/Backup Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 May 2016
Friendly people to work with, management is not well organized. Also work is not steady, even with being hired on as full time, didn't always receive full time hours.
Competative
Various Departments (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB31 May 2016
I love working in a fast paced environment along with different cultures. I got to learn a lot in regards to different languages and foods and beliefs.
Unionized vs. Management
Semi-Skilled Operator (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ON23 May 2016
Unionized vs. Management is combative to say the least. Management seems to focus only on the numbers and not on the issues at hand that hinder those numbers being achieved
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 March 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
Drive for Results
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 September 2014
Overall a good company with lots of potential which is the Achilles heel point. The philosophy of driving the employees to advance as far as possible up the ladder as quickly as possible neglects to nurture and support the longer term potential of employees, With the 'promise' of high end management positions in short time is short sighted and either good folks get frustrated (cannot have 100% directors in the company people) and leave or they wash out. The company needs to take time to let some workers be, and not paint all employees with the same brush. There are huge cost implications, both tangible and intangible, of constant workforce flux, not the least of which is training time, experience, and true development.
This company would do very well to tier its HR objectives and focus on nurturing long term or potential long term employees who are happy where they are; driving SOME employees to leverage their upper management potential, and finding a solid fit for good, but misplaced workers.

Work life balance is one of the core values, it is not followed one iota.
Pros
Benefits, advancement opportunity, development support
Cons
work-life balance, culture, pay (unless you leave and come back)
Great Company!
ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 May 2016
Great company culture with great leaders. My role was heavily team based and everyone was smart and great to work with. The company's values are not just letters on the wall, everyone authentically lives and works by them daily.
Productive but strained
Temporary Worker (Current Employee) –  333 courtneypark drive, mississauga18 July 2016
The machines were always having issues, they would frequently break down causing problems down the line.
End of the line workers have a lot of trouble keeping up with the amount of product coming down the line because the workers are consistently taken away from the end of the line.
Productive Fast pace
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 August 2016
The work is hard but manageable, my cow workers are responsible, respectful, and hard working. The only problem with the place is the hours, they usually don't guarantee the 40 hours a week.
Pros
Clean cafeteria and washrooms
Cons
short hours
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 April 2016
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
Needs better training time
Good place to get experience
Shipping and Receiving back up shift leader (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 August 2016
not bad company to start with but low hourly rate, not enough overtime also. nobody cares how are you trying to make this company better.
Could be good......but isn't
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 April 2016
Interesting machines but no training, thrown out in to the wild world of slicing and packaging with only your wits and tools ,your own tools may I add they say they provide tools but after a year all i got was a meter and a few screwdrivers.

Shifts change like the wind, you can plan anything around them.

Nobody stays any tradesman worth his salt has left or is looking for work. ridiculous turn around of workers even on production.

Workshop consists of 1 drill, a welder and 3 grinders. ooo sorry I forgot the old drill press with a makeshift vise.

Pension is low and I mean really low, you have to work here for 2 full calender years to get 2% matched.

No respect for our professional opinions and it takes forever to get simple materials for even the most urgent repairs.
Pros
Its always the same temperature, easy to get good seniority (everybody quits)
Cons
Too many to list (I did try in the review though)
Productive and independent enviroment
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ON14 April 2016
Working at Maple Leaf had to have been the best job I ever had. I loved it there. The only thing that I could live without, was the cold. Once I became full time, and moved to a department where it was warmer and everything was a bit faster, I was fine. The pay was great, and everyone kept to them selves, but we all still worked as a team. We would all have our own spot on the line. When the line started up, everyone just did there job until brake. The hardest part about working at Maple Leaf would have to be eviscerating a bird on a moving line. The line doesn't stop for you, so you have to be quick. The best part about the job was it was quiet when listening to music on your headset. Very relaxing when your get the hang of what your doing. I learned how to properly salvage a bird and was shown the difference between good and bad product. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would in a heart beat.
Pros
Income, a lot of hours, long brakes
Cons
Cold and damp, smelly
good place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 January 2016
Learned a lot of different jobs.friendly people. Bad management.Boring repetitive Jobs, cold environment. Good pay but you have to work hard.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 February 2016
Day always started smooth, always learned how to use the tools needed for the various jobs. Management was always on the watch of all the workers, everyone got along, that hardest part was always passing the threshold of those first few hours of work.
the most enjoyable part was working with great people everyday
Pros
Healthy Lunches
Cons
Stinky
A company moving from a manufacturing focus to commercial (sales and marketing).
Director, Category Excellence (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario8 March 2012
Task saturation is the biggest fear in the next 3 years as MLF tries to be more competitive to potential US competitors. The culture is impacted by multiple priorities, gas/pedal brake approach to tasks and numerous changes in senior management. Compensation is below average for most however will pay for talent.
Pros
canadian - product development is done in house, have hired some very prominent cpg individuals.
Cons
lack of continuity, multiple organizational changes, task saturated
They say they're values is transparency. That's only if your upper management. Till than shut your trap or your deemed a trouble maker.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton12 October 2013
Supervisors if same culture will ride coat tails of management. Sneak behind others backs to catch them in acts to make themselves look better. And even bully their own cultures on floor to spy for them
Management cares bout their own advancement and if that means making you look bad and taking the brunt of problems beyond your control . They will. They always have an escape goat for issues. You'll last two years tops if your not a rat
decaser
General laborer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 August 2016
cut open cases of meat logs. the hardest part of the job was standing in the cold. the most enjoyable part of the job was the employees.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location