Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Entertainments. Tv.
Maintenance Mechanic and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2016
very good.
cought fire at baking oven. it too
k one day to restore the whole system.
trade certificate and business planning and control.
CMMS and CPMS.
GOING A HEAD TOWARD SAP.
nice team workers.
plant close shortage of work./resession.
move to other site
Pros
FREE BREAD FREE COFFEE.
Cons
LONG HRS EXTRA WORK.
productive environment and leader in food safety
HACCP Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
- Frequent communication between CFIA inspector and management teams
- MOPs, FSEP, HACCP
- Coworkers were friendly and hardworking people
Pros
good benefits
high intensity
temporary (Current Employee) –  brampton,ontarioOctober 20, 2015
The stability in terms of work is not the best; you aren't guaranteed to work a full 8 hrs shift per day sometimes your shift is cut short.
The work provided by this company must be executed in a frigid environment due to the fact that it is meat. That being said it does take a toll on your health; the PPE provided does not assist in terms of keeping an individual warm throughout their shift. During a shift a shift you may at times be required to perform tasks that cause temporary or in some cases permanent pain to certain parts of the body i.e wrists, joint, back etc... The individual that work at this company are for the most part very pleasant and enjoyable to work with. One of the best parts about this job is that it is a constant learning experience; there is no guarantee the you will be repeating the same task during your next shift.
Pros
the company did provide free coffe and tea in the lunch room
Cons
ergonomics strategies, systems that have been put in place need improvement
challenging and rewarding
Labourer/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 5, 2016
enjoyed the every day of new challenges Never the same day at this kind of business We were allowed to make a lot of quick judgement calls on our own to make sure of good quality and safe products
loved the crew not fond of the company
Machine Operator/ Rack Loader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 7, 2015
the best part of my job was the great people i worked with they were all fantastic, i had alot of fun working at maple leaf when the machines worked right and we had the tools to do our job
benefits
Cons
odd hours force ins on saturday
A company moving from a manufacturing focus to commercial (sales and marketing).
Director, Category Excellence (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioMarch 8, 2012
Task saturation is the biggest fear in the next 3 years as MLF tries to be more competitive to potential US competitors. The culture is impacted by multiple priorities, gas/pedal brake approach to tasks and numerous changes in senior management. Compensation is below average for most however will pay for talent.
Pros
canadian - product development is done in house, have hired some very prominent cpg individuals.
Cons
lack of continuity, multiple organizational changes, task saturated
They say they're values is transparency. That's only if your upper management. Till than shut your trap or your deemed a trouble maker.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  EdmontonOctober 12, 2013
Supervisors if same culture will ride coat tails of management. Sneak behind others backs to catch them in acts to make themselves look better. And even bully their own cultures on floor to spy for them
Management cares bout their own advancement and if that means making you look bad and taking the brunt of problems beyond your control . They will. They always have an escape goat for issues. You'll last two years tops if your not a rat
Fun place to work
Order Picker/Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 9, 2016
Received a forklift licence, training before i hit the floor and training while i was on the floor. i was well prepared for my tasks ahead of me
Great Company
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 26, 2016
I worked with a great team that I could rely on to back me up. Knowledgeable staff made it easier to bounce ideas off of and work problems out together.
Pros
Food Sample Testing
Cons
Workload
Was very good to me
Production/Multivac Operator/X-Ray Operator (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ONJanuary 14, 2016
I worked there for nearly two years, and though my original job got taken over by a different company, we were placed in other jobs still maintaining our wages.
Review
production worker (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ONJanuary 11, 2016
What I learned from working at Maple leaf was the different bones in the thigh. I enjoyed working and learning more everyday. Hardest part was being wet and cold all day. Most enjoyable was the people I worked with.
fun workplace
Multivac Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONDecember 10, 2015
My skill base for health and food safety started with this job and my knowledge and awareness grew for this company daily with different tasks and opportunities. The people were great and if the company didn't close this location I would have continued to grow in this company.
Pros
Team environment
poor management, favouritism, lack of communication
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 1, 2014
Supervisors had their favourite employees, most of these employees didn't even lift a finger for the entire shift. Why the supervisors were happier with the employees who did nothing, than the ones who worked hard is still a mystery to me. The supervisors mostly just sat in their office and did nothing, hardly ever went on the floor to see what everyone was doing. The leadhands were even lazier. Job training was not very good, supervisors chose worst people to train new employees, ones that were not very good at their job, who needed more training themselves, Sometimes you weren't sure how a certain customer wanted something to be done, you ask a leadhand or supervisor, they wouldn't know either, lack of communication within the department, sometimes even with other departments.
Pros
adequate salary, pretty good benefits, employee market
Cons
poor management, favouritism, lack of communication
Productive and efficient shop floor
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 27, 2015
To be worked in a good team and having fun as a team member.Having great co-operation between the teams.I am very well
treated as a team member.I learned the process as well as the working culture.
Pros
pizza party
Cons
hard woking hours
productive
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  brandon, MBFebruary 23, 2015
A day at work on the cut floor at maple leaf foods is ok you have some hard workers and the ocassional slackers but does their work, what I learned there was communication skills and problem solving.
management is good and my co-workers were awesome people to work with.
the hardest part of my job was pulling rubs but got easier as the days went on, what I enjoyed working at maple leaf was meeting new people and learning different skills.
benefits
Cons
not enough pay
Good Overall growth
Process leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Maple leaf is a quality oriented company providing overall growth to its employees.

learning Training is a everyday affair.

Good six sigma principles.
Pros
Life work balance
Culture has changed over that past decade.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioMarch 11, 2015
Long hours including weekends, holidays, over vacation as well.

Not rewarded for service or effort.

Cards played close to the chest from management.

Are some good people still trying to make it a fun place to work but morale is low ..

New direction of end products and wasted money on failed projects.
Pros
pension plan
Cons
extremely long hours unrewarded
It is a good company to work for that gives options to grow
Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 20, 2013
Maple Leaf Foods is a good company to work for any one who wants a chance to learn and gain experience can definitely work at MLF. I learned a lot about Poultry slaughter, processing, CFIA and USDA requirements at this company. I gained experience working with raw poultry products as well as RTE poultry products. Management team is good but demanding. It is a very fast paced environment and only people who can multitask and work under pressure can survive here. Hardest part of the job is to work with conflicting priorities and meeting deadlines for everything. I manage to do it well but by sacrificing personal work / life balance. I enjoy working with a dedicated team in my department and team outings outside of work.
Pros
great place with a lot of tools and resources for people to learn
Cons
It was one of the company which was later bought out by Maple Leaf and all operational and administrative functions were moved to head office.
A/R supervisor/Credit/Collection (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 21, 2012
It was wonderful company to work for. I gained excellent experience working at this company and used my skills which were used on the subsequent jobs. Culture was good. No complain.Gained experience in various accounting softwares and MS Office. Conversion from Manual accounting to computerised accounting was done very smoothly. Conversion to computerised accounting was very challenging, however with team effort all functions were done very good. Gained excellent experience in accounts receivable, credit collection. commission handling, customer service and reception duties as well. Management was very supportive, helpful and caring.
Pros
excellent culture, family atmosphere. management caring and helpful
Productive and fun place to work.
Receptionist and Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONDecember 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at Maple Leaf Consumer Foods. It gave my a chance to work not only on my assigned duties but on other projects that gave me an insight into the JM Schneider history.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location