Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and Fun Workplace
industrial electrician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 11, 2015
Its a very good place to learn, learn and learn.

I have really learned lot and gained knowledge on food processing equipment like GEA, COZZINI, POLYCLIP, HVF etc.
Pros
Good overtime
Cons
Good company with very nice people
A/R Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 22, 2015
Everyone in the company is very kind and the managers are also very nice to help their team members. People are very professional and helpful.
poor management, favouritism, lack of communication
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 1, 2014
Supervisors had their favourite employees, most of these employees didn't even lift a finger for the entire shift. Why the supervisors were happier with the employees who did nothing, than the ones who worked hard is still a mystery to me. The supervisors mostly just sat in their office and did nothing, hardly ever went on the floor to see what everyone was doing. The leadhands were even lazier. Job training was not very good, supervisors chose worst people to train new employees, ones that were not very good at their job, who needed more training themselves, Sometimes you weren't sure how a certain customer wanted something to be done, you ask a leadhand or supervisor, they wouldn't know either, lack of communication within the department, sometimes even with other departments.
Pros
adequate salary, pretty good benefits, employee market
Cons
poor management, favouritism, lack of communication
Effective caring place to work for. Very detailed to customer satisfaction of food products.
Packager/Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 10, 2015
I learned the skills of safe food handlelling,and above all to make sure that the products going out to the customers are worthy of them eating.Management was caring yet firm in their dealings with employees.Coworkers were easy to work with, we all contributed in a team effort to ensure products met the standards required from us.The hardest part of the job was the temperature, it was a very cold setting to work in.The most enjoyable part of the job was the caring we all were like a family.
Cons
The company had to close down.
A company moving from a manufacturing focus to commercial (sales and marketing).
Director, Category Excellence (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioMarch 8, 2012
Task saturation is the biggest fear in the next 3 years as MLF tries to be more competitive to potential US competitors. The culture is impacted by multiple priorities, gas/pedal brake approach to tasks and numerous changes in senior management. Compensation is below average for most however will pay for talent.
Pros
canadian - product development is done in house, have hired some very prominent cpg individuals.
Cons
lack of continuity, multiple organizational changes, task saturated
good place to learn
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 19, 2015
good place to work as well as learn. the staff is very good aswell as just a great overall good place to work, hours are good and great place to learn
They say they're values is transparency. That's only if your upper management. Till than shut your trap or your deemed a trouble maker.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  EdmontonOctober 12, 2013
Supervisors if same culture will ride coat tails of management. Sneak behind others backs to catch them in acts to make themselves look better. And even bully their own cultures on floor to spy for them
Management cares bout their own advancement and if that means making you look bad and taking the brunt of problems beyond your control . They will. They always have an escape goat for issues. You'll last two years tops if your not a rat
Hard work, but very rewarding!
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 26, 2015
Learned a lot! I learned a lot about manufacturing, the specific machines used, how the material was used in said machinery, etc...
good place to work
Smokehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 20, 2015
I worked at he former Schneider Foods plant in Kitchener. I worked with a strong team of individuals in the smokehouse. Management was supportive.
A great place to learn a technology skill
SAP Architect (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 4, 2015
If you are just coming out of university and are looking for an environment in which you can learn a core technology, this would be a great place for you to work.
O.T was extreme. upper management would not support maintenance supervisor in disciplining maintenance staff
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Weston,ONApril 22, 2015
O.T was to the extreme. When scheduled to work O.T. weekend, it usually meant 2 shifts on Saturdays and again 1 shift on Sunday which equaled a 30 hr weekend or more.
Union ran the plant. Upper management would not support maintenance supervisors in disciplining union steward who refused to perform his duties as instructed.
Pros
diverse equipment, mostly good employers
Cons
too much O.T.
Worst HR Team at Brandon Plant
Meat cutter (Current Employee) –  BrandonMay 10, 2015
Avoid working for these guys at all cost. You are just a number, no one cares about you whatsoever. If you are planning to relocate with their 'relocation allowance' please don't. It's a bad game they have to get money from the government not that they want to help you.
Pros
Cons
Everything. Worst HR. They should get fired all!!
food probuton
food (Former Employee) –  saskatoonOctober 14, 2015
i only for work for maple for few month only n i wasnt make much so its was only once week pay n its was everyday work cause its just doing food production thing
Pros
nope
Cons
It is a good company to work for that gives options to grow
Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 20, 2013
Maple Leaf Foods is a good company to work for any one who wants a chance to learn and gain experience can definitely work at MLF. I learned a lot about Poultry slaughter, processing, CFIA and USDA requirements at this company. I gained experience working with raw poultry products as well as RTE poultry products. Management team is good but demanding. It is a very fast paced environment and only people who can multitask and work under pressure can survive here. Hardest part of the job is to work with conflicting priorities and meeting deadlines for everything. I manage to do it well but by sacrificing personal work / life balance. I enjoy working with a dedicated team in my department and team outings outside of work.
Pros
great place with a lot of tools and resources for people to learn
Cons
It's a good place to gain experience from , it's different from alot of other businesses .
sanitation worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Getting dressed in rubber overalls for major sanitizing work on production lines that killed fresh chickens and turkeys on a daily regular basis
Management was fine to work with always
My co - workers from my experience were very uptight & impatient to
work with my in - experience for that industry at that time , I was making constant mistakes as a new - comer to that workplace itself .
The hardest part of the job was the smell of turkey & chicken blood , it was very putrid that made alot of ourselves to feel queezy most of my time there
The most fun from it was to have nice chats with my manager on occasion
Pros
there were no pros included
Cons
the hours for most of my shifts were long at most un - announced times of my time there
It was one of the company which was later bought out by Maple Leaf and all operational and administrative functions were moved to head office.
A/R supervisor/Credit/Collection (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 21, 2012
It was wonderful company to work for. I gained excellent experience working at this company and used my skills which were used on the subsequent jobs. Culture was good. No complain.Gained experience in various accounting softwares and MS Office. Conversion from Manual accounting to computerised accounting was done very smoothly. Conversion to computerised accounting was very challenging, however with team effort all functions were done very good. Gained excellent experience in accounts receivable, credit collection. commission handling, customer service and reception duties as well. Management was very supportive, helpful and caring.
Pros
excellent culture, family atmosphere. management caring and helpful
Labour
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBOctober 19, 2015
Great Place to work, enjoyed the employees and work environment.
Learned several new skills and sharpened some old ones.
over alll great place to work
Full time/Part-time/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 18, 2015
i worked at the Kitchener plant for 4 almost 5 years. i have had many jobs there, i wont go into to much detail. i also was able to learn many things from this company about production, food handling and over all just how a corp. that sizes worked. management was a hit and miss. some supervisors knew what they were doing some did not, was really up to the workers and team to get things do. the foremen just kinda stood around or sat in there offices leaving there job to the lead hands to do. co-workers had good days and bad days like any one else but over all most of them were pleasant to work with. the hardest part of the job was communication between works and foremen. as i stated before the foremen just kinda so up and not really do any thing. most enjoyable part of the job was working with others, you become part of a family when working with the same people every day; looking out for each other, talking, some of my best memories where at maple leaf
Pros
relaxed
Cons
some times you have to give up your breaks because of problems but you do get rewarded for it.
It was ok
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton,ONTAugust 14, 2015
Maple Leaf was a good place to work but there was shortage of work. Also it was hard to work out the hours and the hard work at my age. Another thing is that it was fun to work there but it's time for me to move on from the company. This is because of my age and that I get back pain from the pulling of the product.
Pros
fun
Cons
shortage of work
Friendly people
salaried employee (Current Employee) –  WinnipegJune 22, 2014
company has advancement opportunities, but managment tends to overlook those who have worked long hard hours in favor of family and friends
Lots of politics and uncertainty
SLT tends to favor,
No work life balance
Pros
exposure to new trends
Cons
long hours, off shifts, no family life