Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

A good company to work for
PRODUCT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 27, 2015
The organization understand work life balance. It has a lot of perks to working for the organization. Everyone within the organization was great and easy to deal with.
Productive and efficient shop floor
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 27, 2015
To be worked in a good team and having fun as a team member.Having great co-operation between the teams.I am very well
treated as a team member.I learned the process as well as the working culture.
Pros
pizza party
Cons
hard woking hours
It was ok
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton,ONTAugust 14, 2015
Maple Leaf was a good place to work but there was shortage of work. Also it was hard to work out the hours and the hard work at my age. Another thing is that it was fun to work there but it's time for me to move on from the company. This is because of my age and that I get back pain from the pulling of the product.
Pros
fun
Cons
shortage of work
Good company with very nice people
A/R Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 22, 2015
Everyone in the company is very kind and the managers are also very nice to help their team members. People are very professional and helpful.
Energetic, fast pace , fun environment to work
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  MississaugJuly 10, 2015
Maple Leaf Foods was a fun and friendly environment to worked, I was given the opportunity to learn and developed over the years as Administrator. The management gives you the opportunity to be authoritive of what you do with their approval . The colleagues were warm and friendly. It was hard at times to keep up with the ever changing task and keep up with deadlines. Overall, I enjoyed having being able to management my work from start to finish and being flexible of what you do.
Pros
Get to tasted test products before they are launched..
Cons
Long hours at times
Good qualified and great leaders but very demanding
Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJuly 10, 2015
Depending on where you work, it can vary. People working at Corporate offices have good work-life balance and many perks.

Employees at the manufacturing plants not so much. Everyone is over worked and underpaid including salaried and hourly.
Over all culture is about executing at any cost with little or no recognition. Focus on development and training is low but they are trying to get better at it.
Pros
free food samples
Cons
A great place to learn a technology skill
SAP Architect (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 4, 2015
If you are just coming out of university and are looking for an environment in which you can learn a core technology, this would be a great place for you to work.
Hard work, but very rewarding!
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 26, 2015
Learned a lot! I learned a lot about manufacturing, the specific machines used, how the material was used in said machinery, etc...
good place to learn
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 19, 2015
good place to work as well as learn. the staff is very good aswell as just a great overall good place to work, hours are good and great place to learn
Challenging environment with plenty of opportunity
Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 2, 2015
In my experiences, my current employer provides an exceptional workplace that offers plenty of room for advancement. Their commitment to their employees and customers is quite astounding and the company possesses a very strong sense of environmental awareness. Very strong measures are also placed on employee health and safety as well as food safety.
same routine
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBSeptember 11, 2015
I learnt to work all kind of people. Management is not much effective. Working with different people are good to know the culture and languages of them.
Pros
good timing for me
Cons
long same routine hours
food probuton
food (Former Employee) –  saskatoonOctober 14, 2015
i only for work for maple for few month only n i wasnt make much so its was only once week pay n its was everyday work cause its just doing food production thing
Pros
nope
Further Processing (Bacon)
Food Safety and Lab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKMay 27, 2015
The facility received pork bellies that were further processed into sliced, packaged bacon. This job entailed the implementation of the corporate QA programming ,verification of production records and management of nitrate levels in the brine and meat. I also worked as Sanitation Supervisor at the facility.
Pros
The facility was established and had a smooth operation, with strong relations with the inspector.
Cons
The facility relied greatly on 'tribal knowledge', thereby impacting the department's technical direction.
I Take initiative and exercise timely and good judgment in day to day business decisions
Senior production team leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, OntarioMay 16, 2015
Physically fit and able to multitask, quickly adjusting from one task to another. I have a great team working around me and when I go to work I go with passion

At times presence is required on the production floor for long periods of time and/or repetitively but this makes the most enjoyable part of the job
Labour
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBOctober 19, 2015
Great Place to work, enjoyed the employees and work environment.
Learned several new skills and sharpened some old ones.
O.T was extreme. upper management would not support maintenance supervisor in disciplining maintenance staff
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Weston,ONApril 22, 2015
O.T was to the extreme. When scheduled to work O.T. weekend, it usually meant 2 shifts on Saturdays and again 1 shift on Sunday which equaled a 30 hr weekend or more.
Union ran the plant. Upper management would not support maintenance supervisors in disciplining union steward who refused to perform his duties as instructed.
Pros
diverse equipment, mostly good employers
Cons
too much O.T.
Avoid
Robot Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, OnMay 29, 2015
I'd avoid working for this new Heritage plant as everything has gone down hill within the last few weeks. Supervisors Vs. Employees. Cold as heck on the floor now and constant bull from everyone. The coworkers are the only good point of this place.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Supervisors are clueless and mindless, spineless wimps.
Effective caring place to work for. Very detailed to customer satisfaction of food products.
Packager/Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 10, 2015
I learned the skills of safe food handlelling,and above all to make sure that the products going out to the customers are worthy of them eating.Management was caring yet firm in their dealings with employees.Coworkers were easy to work with, we all contributed in a team effort to ensure products met the standards required from us.The hardest part of the job was the temperature, it was a very cold setting to work in.The most enjoyable part of the job was the caring we all were like a family.
Cons
The company had to close down.
A slice of the Corporate Cake
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 8, 2015
Being the leading consumer packaged meats company in Canada, Maple Leaf Foods is one of the biggest and strongest food operation firms to work for as an employee. A typical hierarchal corporation, the time there teaches one the skill to climb up the corporate ladder if one strives hard enough. Tightly regulated, Maple Leaf is a specimen corporation run under parameters and guidelines. The management roles are highly evolved to accommodate to the growing competition teaching one flexibility and strategic advancement but also limiting the boundaries within which one can innovate and improve.
Worst HR Team at Brandon Plant
Meat cutter (Current Employee) –  BrandonMay 10, 2015
Avoid working for these guys at all cost. You are just a number, no one cares about you whatsoever. If you are planning to relocate with their 'relocation allowance' please don't. It's a bad game they have to get money from the government not that they want to help you.
Pros
Cons
Everything. Worst HR. They should get fired all!!