Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Hard labour
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 July 2017
Maple Leaf is a company that expects a lot out of their employees. Tasks are strenuous and unsanitary at times. Full-time employees are nice for the most part.
Productive but fun Culture
Health & Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 July 2017
Have a great team with a great work/life balance and an understanding management team. We have a lot of fun but our results also meet company standards.
Pros
The Team
Cons
advancement opportunities are minimal
it is good company to earn more salary based on your work.
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB15 July 2017
Maple leaf is playing vital role in Brandon. it is producing healthy foods. Moreover, they are selling product internationally. it is good company to earn more salary based on your work.
Provide adequate space for lunch and snack breaks, supervisors and co-workers are helpful
Janitor/Cleaner- (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 July 2017
Preparing yourself with proper work attire and the hygiene required by the company while working. Gather the waste meat and clean the work area. Replace filled-up garbage bags and waste. Average waste per shift is 700 to 800 kilos.

The compliance to hygiene and work and safety standard is excellent.

Workplace culture is good. Discipline among workers is good and camaraderie is fine.

The hardest job is to ensuring that the workplace is absolutely clean for the next job and extending work hours just to ensure that the work area is ready for the next shift.

The most enjoyable is the break time where you are able to rest a bit and associate with your co-workers,
Pros
adequate break time is provided by the company
Cons
Physical work requirement can sometimes be tiring
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2017
Enter the facilities
Grab your lab coat
Proceed to your station
Work at desired station
Swap to another station after an hour.
Rince & Repeat.

The place was run super smoothly nobody was injured or anything during working hours.

Learned that i needed a roof over my head.

Mainly whites although Every type of ethnicity was here.

Nothing was quite difficult.

Was able to see my friends during my breaks.
Pros
It was very fast since I was doing Night shifts
Cons
Annoyingly little kids.
Great Leadership team
Executive Assistant/Plant Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ON5 July 2017
The Senior Leadership team is very results driven and will provide the necessary tools for their employees to reach the desired results. A lot of talent and great people.
great friends great work !
Forklift/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON5 July 2017
spent alot of time here. had great time. met great people. work was safe and steady. great overtime opportunities. discount deli meats often. summer bbqs. A+!
Not a good place to work
Xray/MX operator (Lead Hand) (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ON5 July 2017
Management is constantly changing and the ones that are hired have no idea what the job requires...this company is so micro managed it is very hard to get a straight answer to anything.
The company has no regards to any type of home life, they will change your shift mid week with no disregards
Good employer
Health and Safety Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2017
Was backfilling for a maternity leave. Maple Leaf Foods is very pro-active in providing modified work to those who are injured at work. In my experience, management value to contributions of all employees and have a terrific relationship with their union leadership.
Good day to day work environment
Seasonal Employee (Wiener Stuffer) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 June 2017
Overall working at Maple Leaf Foods was very great. Stuffing wieners for nine and a half hours may seem boring, but having to do 5 weight and length checks per hour, and the occasional machine issue made work little more interesting.
Cons
Forced overtime, having to work shifts that employees with higher seniority didn't want to do.
Very accommodating and pays attention to employees' needs and complaints.
Live Hanger (Current Employee) –  100 Ethel Avenue, Toronto23 June 2017
Very accommodating and pays attention to employees needs and complaints. Supervisors create a warm and good working relationship. They show respect to every employees.
Excellent place to work
Food Safety Quality Assurance Manager - Winnipeg (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 June 2017
ML really focuses on work life balance. The company believes in and follows their values that they have set out. I am very proud to work for the company and the only reason I am looking for employment is because my family is moving to Alberta.

One of the best things about the company is the collaboration between departments.

We work hard to produce high quality, safe products while maintaining a fun work place.
Pros
Employee engagement
Old Boys Club with no focus
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2017
The business is being run by a bunch of old, out-of-touch managers that haven't made a real sales call in forever.

Out of touch with product development and economy and expecting growth in a market that is shrinking for everyone. Selling premium products under the tag lines of natural and ethically raised but adding no quality value to consumers.

Sales focus means to pick up any and all accounts based on the Maple Leaf name alone when other companies are developing sales staff and products that help gain market share.
Pros
Wages
Very routine work
Sanitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB19 June 2017
Fun place with the wide variety of people there. Not so much gun to see the favouritism in management. Good large company but need to enforce the little things
Pros
All the people
Cons
Stuck in doors. Traffic to and from work
not ideal place to work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 June 2017
Work/ life balance can be a challenge as the culture is extremely high-performing; expectations for work load are high" (in 26 reviews)
"Compensation, Limited Career opportunities, old boys club, Very Hierarchical, Very dated systems like BPCS"
Cons
Safe and productive work place environment
Fourth Class Power Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 June 2017
A very nice and safe, clean, and productive work place environment with competitive wages and benefits. The people there are very hospitable and educated in what they do.
Pros
Competitive wages and benefits, safe environment if you follow proper procedure.
Cons
Strong smell of spices, weiners, and occasionally waste water.
enjoyed the work and the people I met
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB6 June 2017
I was on the evening shft, most time working until midnight or later. I worked with various knives, cutters and saws, both hand held and stationary. I've worked with people of different ethnic origins and even learned how to speak some of their language. It was an experience that i will take with me wherever.
Pros
cafeteria, weekends off, lots of overtime
Cons
company number changes due to weather
A great place to work with a diversity in culture
IS Team Lead Operations (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2017
A vast majority of days are quite intense, being in charge of the Operations groups assumes that the monitoring of the infrastructure is watched all of the time 24x7. The culture thrives on the organizations zest and good nature. The interaction with the diversity and culture of the organization is the most enjoyable part of the work.
Pros
work life balance
productive company
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 June 2017
i worked at maple leaf for 2 years as a butcher and i applyed for corporate trainer\ backup leadhand. my duties are making sure the production line is up and ready to operate smooth and efficient. part of my duty is to train other workers on how to de bone ham, pork butts, pork loin and picnic ham. meet with the customers for specific cut of the meat and introduce to the worker. and make sure the yield of the product is low. the hardest part of the job is to deal with other employees to make sure the job gets done.
New Building not made for humans
Blender opperator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON31 May 2017
I loved working for Schneider's , but as it got bought out by maple leaf co, I ended up at the new plant in Hamilton. Where it was more machine orientated then people. And it was 10 times harder on the body. The bins that they use for meats are way to high, the lines way to closed in. And the way I was used to blending was meat % then spice, but at maple leaf co. they added the same amount of spice no matter the meat block. I just cant see my self buying that kind of product.