Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Not so good
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ON16 September 2016
-Their was a lot of drama between workers, and made you feel like you were not welcomed
-Management was okay, wouldn't say it is the best
-Hardest part of the job was the training process and all the paper work
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lots of overtime
excellent
Semi-Skilled Butcher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2016
Great job. A fast paced environment. The hours are great, as is the culture and I don't think anything negative about Maple leaf Foods. The pay was reduced which given the quality of work and pace of the the job was not good. Warman road Maple leaf in its Prime was great. Supervisors,co-workers.
Pros
guaranteed hours/benefits environment
Cons
pay reduction over the years
Shipper / Receiver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 June 2016
I was on contract through agency i wish i could be the their employee it was great experience. Friendly and very good working environment all employees and managers are very professional and very helpful to each other in this organization.
Pros
Free Lunches
Steady, fairly easy and rewarding work
Material Supplier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 May 2016
Maple Leaf Foods offers a large variety of positions. Anywhere from Operators, to material handlers. The job in my opinion is fairly easy, not requiring extensive amounts of training but it does require attention to detail. Finding your own motivation to work there is also important. Overall, the job is good for any age bracket and any skill bracket.
my opinion
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 April 2016
The job is good for me, only because i have a little seniority to be able to stay on the shift i am currently on. I have learned everything that is able to be learned as a receiver which includes inventory, labeling, putting loads away, problem solving, as well as order picking, and loading trailers. Management is really good to deal with as long as you have a mature attitude. As all places of employment you have have to deal with a certain amount of immature people, but this can be avoided by simply focusing on your job and excelling at it. The hardest part is dealing with the immature employees & the most enjoyable part is.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
union, unpaid lunch
Fun place to work
Health & Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2016
Typical night involved walking across the floor and interacting with the line workers. Having meetings with supervisors and communicating different emails throughout the day.
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 April 2016
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
Needs better training time
Productive Fast pace
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 August 2016
The work is hard but manageable, my cow workers are responsible, respectful, and hard working. The only problem with the place is the hours, they usually don't guarantee the 40 hours a week.
Pros
Clean cafeteria and washrooms
Cons
short hours
Fun and international culture based factory
Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 November 2016
Fun and international culture based factory with lots of international co workers there. Supervisor will treat the workers while the great jobs are done.
It was an excellent place to work.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
I loved every minute of working here for 15 years.And had very good coworkers. Management was alright compared to lot of other companies.
Pros
Good salary and very good benefits.
Cons
Very cold temperature inside in some areas.
Not so great
Grader (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK4 October 2016
Not enough money for the long hours worked! Very cold, the trainers and supervisors were terrible not to mention the location I worked at shut down not to longb after I quit the plant
Good people
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON30 August 2016
Head to office to get route and goals for the day. Head to 4 to 6 stores a day to complete orders and make sure shelves are full. Good manager excellent work culture. Good pay.
everyday was a new place
Production Line Worker/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 May 2016
working in a team environment making sure things get done on time and with a professional look and attitude. learned many things and city restrictions, hardest days is when it is very hot or when it is raining.
Pros
get rain days off
Cons
get rain days off
Good place to get experience
Shipping and Receiving back up shift leader (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 August 2016
not bad company to start with but low hourly rate, not enough overtime also. nobody cares how are you trying to make this company better.
excellent place to start
Lead Hand Back-up, Fork (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB31 October 2016
There was a lot of good workers and most of the supervisors were very helpful. Lots of opportunities for improving, and help others
I love my job
Regulatory Affairs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 July 2016
Regulatory Vision - agile and flexible team, comprised of empowered and proficient members continuously able to meet the Regulatory demands within our company and from our customers.
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 March 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
Review about my work place
4th Class Power Engineer Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
My work place is good for working. Working environment is cold and too noise but ok. I am Happy to my work. I can learn so many new things like work with safety, some technical job etc.Our management is good and helping.
Could be good......but isn't
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 April 2016
Interesting machines but no training, thrown out in to the wild world of slicing and packaging with only your wits and tools ,your own tools may I add they say they provide tools but after a year all i got was a meter and a few screwdrivers.

Shifts change like the wind, you can plan anything around them.

Nobody stays any tradesman worth his salt has left or is looking for work. ridiculous turn around of workers even on production.

Workshop consists of 1 drill, a welder and 3 grinders. ooo sorry I forgot the old drill press with a makeshift vise.

Pension is low and I mean really low, you have to work here for 2 full calender years to get 2% matched.

No respect for our professional opinions and it takes forever to get simple materials for even the most urgent repairs.
Pros
Its always the same temperature, easy to get good seniority (everybody quits)
Cons
Too many to list (I did try in the review though)
Good Company
Customer Supply Chain Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 June 2016
Good Company to work for. Good environment and friendly workplace.

Good perks., Flexible hours, good team spirit. fast paced environment to meet daily deadlines.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location