Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Line Helper
Line Helper (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 April 2017
When starting my day, we usually go to our part of the building, in my case, I worked in pure link. We would get all the stuff ready for our day to start. We would need labels, boxes, spray bottles, tools, bins, tanks, bags etc, as we were working on the line. We all took turns in different spots. Some people would wipe grease off the packages, then some would straighten the packages out or take the bad ones off and throw them into the bin, some people would be boxing them by hand, and some would be operating the machines, changing the boxes, changing the labels and just making sure it would run smoothly. If packages fell on the floor, we would have to pick them up and sanitize them.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
10 hour days
Ability to work from home.
Accounts Receivable Reporting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 April 2017
Employees were given Empowerment, -Involved in decision making

You have the ability to work from home, at least 2 day per week

Month End Department Breakfast or Lunch of your choice.

Weekly one hour yoga .
Pros
Good Management leadership
Cons
Projects Time sensitive - lots of dead lines
Productive Working Environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 April 2017
I found that Maple Leaf Foods was a positive learning experience with supportive and interesting co workers. I was always sure to bring a positive attitude to work. I enjoyed learning how to process and package all of the meats that we eat and found the employment opportunity interesting and insightful.
Productive with good people
Packer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON27 March 2017
Great place to learn responsibility and that you don't want to work there for the rest of your life. You really learn how to work and keep up in a fast paced environment.
general labor
General laborer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 March 2017
It's a great place for work.I was Part-time in that job but they require full time member.Overall good place.I liked that work very much.I have learned many things from that job.
Pros
Long breaks
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 March 2017
Very productive environment , Lots to do, lots of overtime, great working environment , staff is very helpful if you need anything or have a question you can just ask and they will help you out as best as they can .
ok
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ON8 March 2017
decent pay, boring work if your on the line - service is where you need to be. some good people although its been a while and i havent heard good things. lots of chicken
Pros
decent pay
Cons
raw chicken, and cold
Fast paced and safe workplace
Senior Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ON5 March 2017
Busy workplace that requires full commitment from all members involved. Team based working and a strong focus on financials and KPIs.
Productive and Fun
General Labourer 2 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 March 2017
Team worked environment, fast paced environment.workplace culture and working with people having great personality and positive attitudes. The management is working hard for the workers to give them safety and security.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Work on rebuilding old tractors
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia3 March 2017
Looking for work parts counter or maintenace supervisor, long hours, high responsibilty, .Safety courses, 6 sigma courses, payroll, inventory counts, project mangement,budget for plant
Pros
Keep learning and up grading time
Cons
No more than 90 hours per week
OK place to work. Could be worse. Shift work.
Reliability Technician - Electrical (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 February 2017
Electrician work at Maple Leaf varies from routine to hectic, depending on area worked in. Generally money is good and work is not hard. Hours are 12 hr continental. High turnover in general labour, some turnover in Reliability (electricians and millwrights). Plant is 3 years new, still getting the bugs out. Supervision is varied with some turnover of staff. For a company that has been around as long as Maple Leaf, it does not show at this facility.
Pros
Pay is Ok. Work not physically difficult
Cons
Shift work. Cold environment
learnt a lot and had a great time there
electric pallet jack Driver,production worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2017
my workplace culture was fun as everybody was so communicative and helpful.i learnt many things like how to manage so many things in lesser time frame,multi tasking,workplace ethics and much more.i had very nice management.hardest part of job was sometimes it was too fast paced but good thing about that was i learned to cope up with pressure in work.most enjoyable part was driving itself.
Pros
weekly paycheques
Cons
nothing
Fun and Busy
IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 February 2017
The work in Maple Leaf Foods is mostly working with tickets. I mainly focus on the New Hire and Termination Ticket. For new hire ticket, I will be creating the user account to the New Hire and giving their access accordingly. For termination ticket, I will be deleting all access of user and their account and disk. The experience in Maple Leaf Foods is mostly busy. Usually, it will take the whole day to finish all the tickets that I got.
No room to advance.
Equipment Robot Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 February 2017
A typical day at work consists of a daily meeting about production for the day and a health and safety chat as well. It's a long 9.5 hour day working in cold temperatures of 2-0 degree c. You must wear PPE including rubber boots and hardhat. Once production starts you work on your line or you are busy working on inspection. Management are respectable and are well trained. The group that you work with makes all the difference, working with nice people makes the day go by faster! I learned a lot about working in a food production facility. I worked my way up from palletizer to case erector, and know I work as a robot operator. Hardest part of the day is knowing I could be making more money for my time somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of the day is of course break time!
Pros
Health Beneifits.
Cons
Unpaid half hour lunch break.
rewarding
Six Sigma Black Belt (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2017
great values with people who are really all about food.
The company has turn around and are building a more focus place that will grow and bring new opportunities in future
Decent place to work
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2017
If you're going to apply , do it through a temp, you can pick your shifts and are never forced on weekends or for overtime unless you sign up for it . Pay is a little over minimum wage , which is decent to support a single person... pretty flexible with break times , most management and tLs are approachable and helpful. Very cold , machines go down often and when there's nothing to do it sure does get cold just standing there !
Pros
Bus shuttle, flexible breaks, coworkers
Cons
Cold
Professional Environment
Office Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2017
I had The opportunity to practice my Excel Skills updating all the delayed information from production in a daily basis.
Friendly and kind tutor from finance Department. General clerk duties.
Pros
Friendly Coaching
Cons
Not hiring after Co-op completed
Wonderful Company
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON1 February 2017
Enjoyed working there, but they decided to close the Thamesford Plant forcing us to look for new employment.

Hardest part is hours go up and down and is very unpredictable.

Wish the company considered interpreters for Deaf workers.
Amazing team and management
Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 January 2017
I met some of the best people I have ever worked with. I had two managers at separate times and both were incredible and constantly teaching me more about the company. My director was one of the most amazing women I have ever met; she taught me so much about the food and meat industry and was always beyond supportive of my goals within the company and outside. Maple Leaf is a fantastic place to work, if it wasn't for being a contract employee I would not have left!
Lots of Hours
Materials (Current Employee) –  Hamilton26 January 2017
The place is disorganized! Management is in constant rotation. The promoted staff power trips and people have very little direction.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maple Leaf Consumer Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location