Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I liked working at Maple Leaf and hope to to go there again one day
Sanitation Lead Hand (Former Employee), Brandon, MBMarch 7, 2014
I was looking forward to coming to work every single day. I like the meetings with the sanitation manager during which we would discuss my job performance and ways how to improve it.
Canada's Top 10 Workplace Cultures
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntarioMarch 2, 2014
Fast-paced workplace environment. Emphasis on food culture and plenty of opportunities for employees to be involved in product development.
Overall good company
Accounts receivable analyst (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 1, 2014
I am working in a great finance team. Maple leaf is a good company to for.
Great place to work, with lots of great people
Spice Room Controller (Current Employee), Moncton, NBFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: it allowed me to provide for my family for 31 years
Cons: working with chemicals
Maple leaf Consumer foods was a place with lots of different jobs .
Giving you a chance to learn new skills like cutting meats to working with forklifts. And many good employee benefits. I was lucky to have very good foremans to work for . The most enjoyable part of my job was the feeling of accomplishment when I completed my days work.
Good Formens and friendly co-workers
Material Control (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: free lunch once a month
Cons: meat smell
I enjoy the people I work around and the bosses. The cafe normally has a good selection.
The company is in the midst of updating their building and processes.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: summer bbq's
Cons: stress due to down sizing of departments/buildings
The management team is professional, friendly and very hard workers.

The other employees were all fun loving but completed all work responsibilities in a timely manner.
very productive
admin asssistant (Former Employee), torontoFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: nice salary
Cons: too much politics
My typical day starts with checking all details and greeting customers and helping them with their debit and credit accounts.
Most enjoyable part is when we have a challenged projects and meetings.
My co-workers were very co-operative and worked well as a team.
Good environment and management is very nice
CO-OP STUDENT (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: parties
I went to Maple Leaf Foods as a CO-OP student but all employee treated me like I am also full time employee. It was really good experience for me . I learnt a lot of things like for 3 weeks I worked in a reception area where I used to attend phone calls, sorted out production papers and file them and also made binders . always did welcome to our visitors – more... and also did photocopies, fax,scanned documents . I also did work in QA department for 3 weeks, over there I made sample and then tested the temperature of the sample and weighted them and wrote on a QC paper . I handled QC papers ,check the supervisors sign and sorted out and file them according to the product code. My co-workers were so nice and helpful. – less
Great place to work, room for advancement- new skills and trainings
Supply Chain Analyst - Planning (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: training sessions- group and individual
Cons: keep closing facilities- ? job security
Many benefits, always room to grow and learn new skills. Team work as well as solo - good mix. Enjoyed the people and the job at Maple Leaf Foods.
hop to go back
Production Worker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 28, 2014
I was very happy working with compony and depand on the my job becost I ben working for longtime with deferent department I have I lord of exprence with campony
Weed out the ignorant management transplant and it'll be a great place to work
Production (Current Employee), Hamilton OntarioJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: only one so far
Like the work, like my co-workers. One of the managers that came from kitchener is an ignorant, arrogant know nothing that seems to think that people are in his department (RAW) for him to abuse. The feeling towards him on the floor seems to be unanimous. He's not going to make it if he doesn't learn to respect the people that are busting their backs – more... to get the department running. Don't forget J, YOU are overhead. I might have given the management team a four star as well, but you earned the one star rating for your team. – less
Vending Machines
Stocker Nights & days (Former Employee), North Battleford, SKDecember 23, 2013
Pros: wages
Cons: worked in the cold
A typical day was like running a marathon.
What I learned from ML was how to work with rhythm.
Management..
Co-workers...
The hardest part of my job was...nothing really
The most enjoyable part was paydays.
Nice place to work
Sanitation Supervisor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 10, 2013
Nice company, nice culture building up. Management is also helping. so overall experience is good.
great management and company
sanitation technician (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 26, 2013
Pros: bonuses
Cons: only one shift - night shift
sanitation technician performing cleaning and sanitation of the production line and storages

Learned using of different chemicals

Management was great!

Team work

hardest part was when job was not performed according to the standards and would affect the whole team

Enjoyed working in a mentally healthy workplace with the great team and management
An ok place to work if you don't mind the cold
labourer (Current Employee), kitchenerNovember 25, 2013
Pros: employee appreciation meals
Cons: plant closing
Some good supervisors and some not so good.
Cafeteria food sucks.
Co-workers are nice.
Job safety is unpredictable.
Great Corporate Safety Team
Health & Safety Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2013
Fantastic Corporate Safety Team support. A company that is focused on working on the right things and reducing the safety frequency. A company that wants to see every employee go home the same way they came to work, in one piece.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the employees on the plant floor.
Good place to work an looks good on a resume.
Production Crew (Former Employee), North Battleford, SKNovember 22, 2013
Pros: great environment to work in, company treats all its workers fairly.
Cons: work in -4 all the time.
I enjoyed working for this company for I got paid every Thursday. My bosses were great to work for, they would encourage you to try to be the best you could be at your job. The job is was easy to learn. Detail orientated was a must for you want to put out a high quality product. The hardest part of the job was keeping the 618(packaging machine) strait – more... an in order, the machine an I were not really good friends lol. I enjoyed working on the multipack line for boxing at the end of the line, you had to work out an see how many pallets you could do in a day. I liked it for it was a little challenging an I like that. Get behind an you had to rush an I enjoyed high speed for I am a high energy person. – less
Enjoyable work environment.
SHIPPER/PALLET JACK OPERATOR/PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 9, 2013
Pros: reliable hours to fit family life, free coffee on fridays.
Cons: long term employment was unreliable, plant shut down.
Maple leaf has now closed down. At the time my day consisted of doing very light physical labour at an extremely fast pace. I worked on multiple jobs including shipping, palletizing, packaging and operating forklifts. Everything was very repetitive and the overtime was minimal.

Management was not as involved at maple leaf. They dealt with employees – more... very professionally and with respect. Often they would watch from a distance or stop by periodically to see how thing's are running. It kept the atmosphere inside Maple Leaf relaxed and enjoyable.

At maple leaf while working in palletizing where i spent most of my years, you depend on other employees because sometimes 1 mans job can get overwhelming due to the speed so help is needed. In return you do the same when you witness someone else struggling to keep up. Not everyone has this quality and it brings departments closer together as a unit.

The high repetitions and constant standing was a bit tough to get used to. The job's performed were a bit mind numbing and not mentally challenging because there was no problem solving or planning.

Definately the most enjoyable part of the job was the employees. Maybe 1 out of 20 ever came to work in a bad mood or had a negative effect on other employees. Although the plant was 1000+ employees the bond between departments had a comforting feeling. – less
Good company culture
Intern (Current Employee), mississaugaOctober 24, 2013
very repetitive work
coworkers are friendly
management team can be a little more straight forward
Lots of room for continuous improvement
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 23, 2013
Pros: lots of room to improve efficiency, processes, and gather data
Cons: some rough, out of date practices -- lack of automation and technology compared to other machine-based sectors.
Maple Leaf Foods has great cultural values for developing leadership and being accountable. It is committed to continuous improvement to refine its practices for the purpose of safer food and profitability.

Energetic, creative people will find lots of room to grow their skills amid skilled co-workers. Much of the supervision and management structure – more... is very receptive to new ideas for improving processes, and let dynamic individuals work and advance their projects.

The one drawback is the occasional manager who doesn't want their employee to outshine them in a role, and lets personal opinion matter more than the fact based approach espoused by the cultural mission.
This leads to some areas that are resistant to change and maintenance of the status quo -- so the hardest part of the job is staying motivated to conquer such roadblocks, because the rest of the company is hungry to develop and succeed. – less

About Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a major Canadian food processing company, founded in 1927 as a merger of several major Toronto meat packers.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Photos