Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Very productive workplace and employees were very loyal and had alot of employee who had 40 to 50 years of service. That alone makes a statement.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 25, 2016
Hours - Very Typical

Learned how to work under stress.

Management followed corporate policy.

Everyone had an overwhelming amount of work load.

Co-workers were great and always had time for you.

Hardest part of the job - I was a contractor and not an employee and never got paid on time.

Enjoyable Part - I learned a whole lot about the food industry and their tax issues that has added a whole new level to what I can do.
Pros
Free Food, alot of employee events.
Cons
Management was very distant at times.
Not for long term
Full Time Materials handler/ Shipper/ receiver (Former Employee) –  44 glover hannon ontarioAugust 24, 2016
minimal concern for the well being of product and employees
lack of communication with the employees
union is terrible
they never learn to make things better they continue to do the same mistakes which makes it a very bad place to work.
Pros
there is a shuttle that takes tyou to the front door from upper ottawa.
Cons
long hours, Cold, Temperory employees, unorganized, unclean
Back breaking but decent pay
Production and chlorine examiner (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ONJune 17, 2016
Great as long as you come into this workplace realizing it's just a job and not a career. Oh, punctuality and doing a good job too of course.
Management leaves zero room for advancements to employees who have the schooling and qualifications. Instead, as most places, they have their favorites. It's a cycle that'll never be broken.
Pros
Good supervisors
Cons
Age of facility is showing daily. Major breakdowns.
Fun workplace
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  lethbridge, ABJuly 27, 2016
Everyday from work is always busy. I learned how to take care not only my job but also my co-workers. I don't like some management because some of them they don't fix the problem or it would take a months, year or never. Some of my co-worker are good worker but some of them are lazy I hate lazy people. for me the hardest part of the job even your trying your best in work the supervisors don't see that because they don't know what's real happening on the site cause they are not always there to look what's happening. Most enjoyable part of my job is to have co-worker at the same time friends and some of them we had a team work but it doesn't matter to me if there is a team cause I could work alone or as a team.
Pros
sometimes there's free lunch and has games..
Cons
only 8 hours Monday to Friday and they are giving overtime if you want too, or sometimes there is mandatory overtime.
Over-aggressive management, poor worker morale, high turnover
Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 7, 2016
I found overall that Maple Leaf Foods was not an employer that treated skilled trades with respect, and in fact in some cases we were purposely mis-treated. I learned that they would find opportunities to force us to work on the weekend without paying overtime, and that management was over-aggressive and in many cases rude to the employees. It is not a family or friendly environment as you do not threaten family or friends. I would not work for MLF again and would encourage others to seek employment elsewhere.
Cons
Work weekend without overtime/recieved $2 food coupon for Christmas bonus
Challenging and fun workplace environment
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 14, 2016
Able to do my best in performing my job even though it is not related to my previous work. I learned a lot specially in dealing with past faced environment, standing for a long period of time and having a short break time. Exciting and a really much fun of learning.
Pros
Free lunch during friday
Cons
minimal break
Worked with a great crew, work was fun.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Canning, NSAugust 7, 2016
Worked night shift.Work started with going over things with the day shift on what needs to be done.Picked orders that need to go out the door, loaded trucks with fork lifts and walkies.Worked computer printing off bills to go with the orders,cleaned up work area when finished.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Worked nights.
excellent
Semi-Skilled Butcher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 27, 2016
Great job. A fast paced environment. The hours are great, as is the culture and I don't think anything negative about Maple leaf Foods. The pay was reduced which given the quality of work and pace of the the job was not good. Warman road Maple leaf in its Prime was great. Supervisors,co-workers.
Pros
guaranteed hours/benefits environment
Cons
pay reduction over the years
my opinion
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 29, 2016
The job is good for me, only because i have a little seniority to be able to stay on the shift i am currently on. I have learned everything that is able to be learned as a receiver which includes inventory, labeling, putting loads away, problem solving, as well as order picking, and loading trailers. Management is really good to deal with as long as you have a mature attitude. As all places of employment you have have to deal with a certain amount of immature people, but this can be avoided by simply focusing on your job and excelling at it. The hardest part is dealing with the immature employees & the most enjoyable part is.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
union, unpaid lunch
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2016
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
Needs better training time
Steady, fairly easy and rewarding work
Material Supplier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 14, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods offers a large variety of positions. Anywhere from Operators, to material handlers. The job in my opinion is fairly easy, not requiring extensive amounts of training but it does require attention to detail. Finding your own motivation to work there is also important. Overall, the job is good for any age bracket and any skill bracket.
they just want the work done regardless of employees health
General labor (Former Employee) –  toronto,ontSeptember 18, 2016
i did not enjoy my years of working there maple leaf foods only cares about getting the work done regardless of anyone's health i guess that is why they pay well
Pros
pays well
Cons
they just want the work done they really don't consider the employees health
Shipper / Receiver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 6, 2016
I was on contract through agency i wish i could be the their employee it was great experience. Friendly and very good working environment all employees and managers are very professional and very helpful to each other in this organization.
Pros
Free Lunches
Productive but strained
Temporary Worker (Current Employee) –  333 courtneypark drive, mississaugaJuly 18, 2016
The machines were always having issues, they would frequently break down causing problems down the line.
End of the line workers have a lot of trouble keeping up with the amount of product coming down the line because the workers are consistently taken away from the end of the line.
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
Productive Fast pace
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 3, 2016
The work is hard but manageable, my cow workers are responsible, respectful, and hard working. The only problem with the place is the hours, they usually don't guarantee the 40 hours a week.
Pros
Clean cafeteria and washrooms
Cons
short hours
Familiar work environment
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 13, 2016
It was a long day because it was 10 hours shift in a cold environment but the co-workers were fun and friendly and they were willing to help. The supervisors were very active and friendly too.
Pros
good co-workers
Not so good
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ONSeptember 16, 2016
-Their was a lot of drama between workers, and made you feel like you were not welcomed
-Management was okay, wouldn't say it is the best
-Hardest part of the job was the training process and all the paper work
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lots of overtime
everyday was a new place
Production Line Worker/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 25, 2016
working in a team environment making sure things get done on time and with a professional look and attitude. learned many things and city restrictions, hardest days is when it is very hot or when it is raining.
Pros
get rain days off
Cons
get rain days off
It was an excellent place to work.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
I loved every minute of working here for 15 years.And had very good coworkers. Management was alright compared to lot of other companies.
Pros
Good salary and very good benefits.
Cons
Very cold temperature inside in some areas.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location