Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Good place for starting off career
Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 22, 2015
Good place to work as a beginner. People are nice and management is improving. Salary is competitive but work loads are heavy. Limited time for training and development. Very difficult to move up.
Pros
People are nice
Cons
Heavy work load, no life-work balance
Very good company
Meat Processor/Cutter (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBApril 1, 2016
Productive and good place for work with nice management and friendly co-workers. Team work enjoyable but every position is hard.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
very noisily
Great People
Production Scheduler/Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
Overall the company is looking into the future for the people whom want raise families with nutritional supplemental life style.
Pros
People
Cons
Fragmented Goal Setting
ok place to work,good benefits
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 11, 2016
I felt like I was being held back from moving up to a higher paying job my co workers all spoke in their foreign language,which was frustrating.The hardest part was I was always busy being the only one doing the job, they were also long hours.They were 4 day weeks
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Being held back
Fun workplace
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  lethbridge, ABJuly 27, 2016
Everyday from work is always busy. I learned how to take care not only my job but also my co-workers. I don't like some management because some of them they don't fix the problem or it would take a months, year or never. Some of my co-worker are good worker but some of them are lazy I hate lazy people. for me the hardest part of the job even your trying your best in work the supervisors don't see that because they don't know what's real happening on the site cause they are not always there to look what's happening. Most enjoyable part of my job is to have co-worker at the same time friends and some of them we had a team work but it doesn't matter to me if there is a team cause I could work alone or as a team.
Pros
sometimes there's free lunch and has games..
Cons
only 8 hours Monday to Friday and they are giving overtime if you want too, or sometimes there is mandatory overtime.
Productive and joyful energetic enviromnent
General Labour (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBJanuary 21, 2016
Mon-Fri 3:30pm to 10:00pm
Go to the Locker rooms zone 9 get dress wear pants jacket helmet
Beginning of every shift meet my supervisor in the cut floor zone 3
Work on assembly line transporting raw materials
End of day store in your locker smocks jacket
I learned about General Food Hygiene Training
Food Safety facility Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points
HACCP
Three P's of food safety
Food Security Training
Food Safety Charter
Health And Safety Policy
Management very good told me everything properly and exact
Co-workers were very friendly
Hardest part of job would be repeatedly heavy lifting 50lbs
Being at a big company in Brandon Manitoba
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
The Heavy Lifting
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
Very productive workplace and employees were very loyal and had alot of employee who had 40 to 50 years of service. That alone makes a statement.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 25, 2016
Hours - Very Typical

Learned how to work under stress.

Management followed corporate policy.

Everyone had an overwhelming amount of work load.

Co-workers were great and always had time for you.

Hardest part of the job - I was a contractor and not an employee and never got paid on time.

Enjoyable Part - I learned a whole lot about the food industry and their tax issues that has added a whole new level to what I can do.
Pros
Free Food, alot of employee events.
Cons
Management was very distant at times.
Over-aggressive management, poor worker morale, high turnover
Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 7, 2016
I found overall that Maple Leaf Foods was not an employer that treated skilled trades with respect, and in fact in some cases we were purposely mis-treated. I learned that they would find opportunities to force us to work on the weekend without paying overtime, and that management was over-aggressive and in many cases rude to the employees. It is not a family or friendly environment as you do not threaten family or friends. I would not work for MLF again and would encourage others to seek employment elsewhere.
Cons
Work weekend without overtime/recieved $2 food coupon for Christmas bonus
good place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Learned a lot of different jobs.friendly people. Bad management.Boring repetitive Jobs, cold environment. Good pay but you have to work hard.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Day always started smooth, always learned how to use the tools needed for the various jobs. Management was always on the watch of all the workers, everyone got along, that hardest part was always passing the threshold of those first few hours of work.
the most enjoyable part was working with great people everyday
Pros
Healthy Lunches
Cons
Stinky
Could be good......but isn't
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 10, 2016
Interesting machines but no training, thrown out in to the wild world of slicing and packaging with only your wits and tools ,your own tools may I add they say they provide tools but after a year all i got was a meter and a few screwdrivers.

Shifts change like the wind, you can plan anything around them.

Nobody stays any tradesman worth his salt has left or is looking for work. ridiculous turn around of workers even on production.

Workshop consists of 1 drill, a welder and 3 grinders. ooo sorry I forgot the old drill press with a makeshift vise.

Pension is low and I mean really low, you have to work here for 2 full calender years to get 2% matched.

No respect for our professional opinions and it takes forever to get simple materials for even the most urgent repairs.
Pros
Its always the same temperature, easy to get good seniority (everybody quits)
Cons
Too many to list (I did try in the review though)
Productive and independent enviroment
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ONApril 14, 2016
Working at Maple Leaf had to have been the best job I ever had. I loved it there. The only thing that I could live without, was the cold. Once I became full time, and moved to a department where it was warmer and everything was a bit faster, I was fine. The pay was great, and everyone kept to them selves, but we all still worked as a team. We would all have our own spot on the line. When the line started up, everyone just did there job until brake. The hardest part about working at Maple Leaf would have to be eviscerating a bird on a moving line. The line doesn't stop for you, so you have to be quick. The best part about the job was it was quiet when listening to music on your headset. Very relaxing when your get the hang of what your doing. I learned how to properly salvage a bird and was shown the difference between good and bad product. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would in a heart beat.
Pros
Income, a lot of hours, long brakes
Cons
Cold and damp, smelly
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 24, 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2016
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
Needs better training time
my opinion
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 29, 2016
The job is good for me, only because i have a little seniority to be able to stay on the shift i am currently on. I have learned everything that is able to be learned as a receiver which includes inventory, labeling, putting loads away, problem solving, as well as order picking, and loading trailers. Management is really good to deal with as long as you have a mature attitude. As all places of employment you have have to deal with a certain amount of immature people, but this can be avoided by simply focusing on your job and excelling at it. The hardest part is dealing with the immature employees & the most enjoyable part is.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
union, unpaid lunch
fun workplace
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBDecember 21, 2015
According to me,I have great experience to work with multicultural people with good management and medical benefits.I can take opportunities of free study and English classes.
Pros
Medical Benifites
Cons
full time job
Unless you are desperate for a job stay away
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2016
Corporate offices:
Worked in various departments Finance & IT over 15 years.
WAS a great place to work. Now a culture of oppression and lies.
No work life balance. Ask anyone in IT. Company wants you on call 24/7 and publishes your home number. Extremely high turnover especially in Finance. Ask how long your department manager has been there. Chances are under 2 years. Month end / year end you are expected to work non stop. Weekends / holidays do not exists. They keep cutting the period close deadlines shorter and shorter. They will promise you everything and deliver nothing. Their reward package "RFE" is now a complete joke. Rewards based on their value judgements and not your performance. A valued employe at Maple Leaf does not work hard, they just spend hundreds of hours there. It is all about being visible at work.

The company manages by intimidation. The culture of "you can easily be replaced" is rampant.

Look around the place. Do you see anyone smiling? Do you see anyone with grey hair? There is air of sadness all the time.
Pros
Pay scale is industry
Cons
No work life balance, long unrewarded hours, high turn over
Productive and Good Environment
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ONMay 25, 2015
A typical day at work would be going in and punching in, and then putting the uniform on such as an apron, gloves, mesh gloves, and going to a line and cutting raw meat to specific weights everyday. Then get a 10 minute first break, a half hour lunch, and then another 10 minute break. I learned how to work well with people from all different kinds of cultures, and also how to work at a fast pace to make sure I was keeping up with the amounts of chicken to have cut by a certain time limit. I also learned how to work in a factory, because it is a different setting then most places. The co-workers were from different cultures and mainly spoke with different languages, but were very hard working and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job would have been standing on concrete all day, but I managed to get used to it. Most enjoyable part was meeting all the people I got to meet, and all the different techniques I got to learn.
Pros
Benefits, Co-workers, Fast Speed
Cons
Long hours, Concrete Floors, Cold
Back breaking but decent pay
Production and chlorine examiner (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ONJune 17, 2016
Great as long as you come into this workplace realizing it's just a job and not a career. Oh, punctuality and doing a good job too of course.
Management leaves zero room for advancements to employees who have the schooling and qualifications. Instead, as most places, they have their favorites. It's a cycle that'll never be broken.
Pros
Good supervisors
Cons
Age of facility is showing daily. Major breakdowns.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location