Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Offers exceptional Stability, yet mentally depressing
Case Erector/Crib Unloader/Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON25 October 2016
Great pay and benefits which results in an overall very secure feeling. You can easily support yourself and a spouse and perhaps a child with the standard pay.

The downside is.. it's a meat factory! There is ZERO fulfillment there after 2 years of working there. This does not light a fire inside me of passion and desire.
Mental suicide everyday.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, work incentives.
Cons
Very boring. No real sense of duty/fuffillment
No Momentum in this company
TALENT ACQUISITION LEAD - Information Solutions (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 December 2016
Maple Leaf is barely profitable and this is a convenient way to justify no bonuses and minimal salary increases. The management level is highly political and populated by some people who spend their days being charming and managing up!
Not very pleasant to work in MLF
Business Systems Analyst/Senior IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2016
Lack of work/life balance
No pay rise, no overtime pay, but require to work long hour
No job security, easy to get lay off
Salary is below market standard
Pros
Nothing to mention
Cons
Poor culture
Fast-paced and challenging
Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 November 2016
Fast-paced and challenging, good company benefits and work perks through perkopolis. Various growth and development opportunities over the past sixteen years
Worked with a great crew, work was fun.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Canning, NS7 August 2016
Worked night shift.Work started with going over things with the day shift on what needs to be done.Picked orders that need to go out the door, loaded trucks with fork lifts and walkies.Worked computer printing off bills to go with the orders,cleaned up work area when finished.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Worked nights.
Productive and Fun
General Labourer 2 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 March 2017
Team worked environment, fast paced environment.workplace culture and working with people having great personality and positive attitudes. The management is working hard for the workers to give them safety and security.
Pros
Free lunch
No room to advance.
Equipment Robot Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 February 2017
A typical day at work consists of a daily meeting about production for the day and a health and safety chat as well. It's a long 9.5 hour day working in cold temperatures of 2-0 degree c. You must wear PPE including rubber boots and hardhat. Once production starts you work on your line or you are busy working on inspection. Management are respectable and are well trained. The group that you work with makes all the difference, working with nice people makes the day go by faster! I learned a lot about working in a food production facility. I worked my way up from palletizer to case erector, and know I work as a robot operator. Hardest part of the day is knowing I could be making more money for my time somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of the day is of course break time!
Pros
Health Beneifits.
Cons
Unpaid half hour lunch break.
Not a very good workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Glover Road, Hannon, Hamilton9 October 2016
Very cold work place. A lot of downtime and standing in cold when machines are not running.No communication at all. Supervisors have no clue at all. Employee services is not good at all. The only best part was coworkers. Everybody get along and work together and have fun. Forced to work on every weekend. They do not care about employees personal life. No work life balance. No scope of advancement.
Pros
lunches on long weekend in summer.
Cons
Zero work life balance. Supervisors are clueless about anything. No respect for employees.
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.
learnt a lot and had a great time there
electric pallet jack Driver,production worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2017
my workplace culture was fun as everybody was so communicative and helpful.i learnt many things like how to manage so many things in lesser time frame,multi tasking,workplace ethics and much more.i had very nice management.hardest part of job was sometimes it was too fast paced but good thing about that was i learned to cope up with pressure in work.most enjoyable part was driving itself.
Pros
weekly paycheques
Cons
nothing
Decent place to work
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2017
If you're going to apply , do it through a temp, you can pick your shifts and are never forced on weekends or for overtime unless you sign up for it . Pay is a little over minimum wage , which is decent to support a single person... pretty flexible with break times , most management and tLs are approachable and helpful. Very cold , machines go down often and when there's nothing to do it sure does get cold just standing there !
Pros
Bus shuttle, flexible breaks, coworkers
Cons
Cold
It was an excellent place to work.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
I loved every minute of working here for 15 years.And had very good coworkers. Management was alright compared to lot of other companies.
Pros
Good salary and very good benefits.
Cons
Very cold temperature inside in some areas.
Productive , hardworker and Flexible
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Weston, ON20 November 2016
A manufacturing of food products like ham, corn beef, bologna etc. Confident in dealing diverse people. Has an ability to solve the problem quickly. Always coordinated to the supervisor . Their management always reminding us about our safety. We always have a good team work to achieve a good production in daily schedule.
Pros
Break time
excellent
Semi-Skilled Butcher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2016
Great job. A fast paced environment. The hours are great, as is the culture and I don't think anything negative about Maple leaf Foods. The pay was reduced which given the quality of work and pace of the the job was not good. Warman road Maple leaf in its Prime was great. Supervisors,co-workers.
Pros
guaranteed hours/benefits environment
Cons
pay reduction over the years
High production volume, fast and demanding work environment.
Industrial Mechanic / Millwright (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2017
Very fast production lines(bacon side), Almost no time for a proper repair during evening/night shifts. all repairs/PM's has tyo be done during production breaks/lunches, so no much time for a properly, safe way to do it. Very cold , noisy, and stressful work environment. Good work experience as have did work in different areas , and doing different assignments. Need to be ready to answer a call on radio practically all the time and on the first call despite you on a brake /lunch/washroom...especially during probation of 6 months...
Pros
Option to buy meat product for low cost. Good pay and overtime to top up the income
Cons
Forced overtime, need to supply your tools, cold/noisy/dirty work environment
Great managment team and employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON16 January 2017
Plenty of hours in a good working environment. Management team is very helpful and transparent. Sadly, Maple Leaf has announced the closing of the plant that I currently work at. The hardest part of the job is being ok with being seen as the bad guy to ensure quality and health and safety is being maintained. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the employees and putting in a good honest days work.
OK place to work. Could be worse. Shift work.
Reliability Technician - Electrical (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 February 2017
Electrician work at Maple Leaf varies from routine to hectic, depending on area worked in. Generally money is good and work is not hard. Hours are 12 hr continental. High turnover in general labour, some turnover in Reliability (electricians and millwrights). Plant is 3 years new, still getting the bugs out. Supervision is varied with some turnover of staff. For a company that has been around as long as Maple Leaf, it does not show at this facility.
Pros
Pay is Ok. Work not physically difficult
Cons
Shift work. Cold environment
Work on rebuilding old tractors
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia3 March 2017
Looking for work parts counter or maintenace supervisor, long hours, high responsibilty, .Safety courses, 6 sigma courses, payroll, inventory counts, project mangement,budget for plant
Pros
KEEP LEARNING AND UP GRADING TIME
Cons
NO MORE THAN 90 HOURS PER WEEK
alright place
Shipper / Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
its alright has its ups and downs.

management is fair
location is fairly far
benefits are good
paid weekly
direct deposit
Don't work there
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON5 December 2016
-typical day at work

Was always hectic with broken down machinery in a cold and wet environment. Everything was always a 911 emergency and had to be fixed right away. The place was disorganized and never enough parts, resources or training. Radio etiquette of managers was rude.

-what you learned

learned a lot about food safety, was impressed and will eat their food after working there

-management

When I was hired they told me I was going into a high performance workforce and all that jazz but that was not the case. I felt that I had to prove myself everyday if you wanted to keep your job rather than focusing on doing your job correctly. If something went wrong you needed to show you were on top of everything at all times and it was the other guys fault. If you Live, Eat and Breath Maple Leaf Foods and throw all your coworkers under the bus to make your self look better then you may get that promotion.They will push and push and when you start to burn out they will chew you up and spit you out.

-your co-workers

co-workers were good but morale was very poor

-the hardest part of the job

the plant was designed for product flow and food safety, it was not designed for maintenance. if you will be working there for maintenance you will probably get lost in what's called "the interstitial" which is a second floor with all the equipment that doesn't need to be sanitized everyday.

-the most enjoyable part of the job

Driving away after my shift
Pros
it was a job inbetween job
Cons
forced overtime

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location