Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Not very pleasant to work in MLF
Business Systems Analyst/Senior IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2016
Lack of work/life balance
No pay rise, no overtime pay, but require to work long hour
No job security, easy to get lay off
Salary is below market standard
Pros
Nothing to mention
Cons
Poor culture
learnt a lot and had a great time there
electric pallet jack Driver,production worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2017
my workplace culture was fun as everybody was so communicative and helpful.i learnt many things like how to manage so many things in lesser time frame,multi tasking,workplace ethics and much more.i had very nice management.hardest part of job was sometimes it was too fast paced but good thing about that was i learned to cope up with pressure in work.most enjoyable part was driving itself.
Pros
weekly paycheques
Cons
nothing
Not a very good workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Glover Road, Hannon, Hamilton9 October 2016
Very cold work place. A lot of downtime and standing in cold when machines are not running.No communication at all. Supervisors have no clue at all. Employee services is not good at all. The only best part was coworkers. Everybody get along and work together and have fun. Forced to work on every weekend. They do not care about employees personal life. No work life balance. No scope of advancement.
Pros
lunches on long weekend in summer.
Cons
Zero work life balance. Supervisors are clueless about anything. No respect for employees.
Productive , hardworker and Flexible
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Weston, ON20 November 2016
A manufacturing of food products like ham, corn beef, bologna etc. Confident in dealing diverse people. Has an ability to solve the problem quickly. Always coordinated to the supervisor . Their management always reminding us about our safety. We always have a good team work to achieve a good production in daily schedule.
Pros
Break time
No room to advance.
Equipment Robot Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 February 2017
A typical day at work consists of a daily meeting about production for the day and a health and safety chat as well. It's a long 9.5 hour day working in cold temperatures of 2-0 degree c. You must wear PPE including rubber boots and hardhat. Once production starts you work on your line or you are busy working on inspection. Management are respectable and are well trained. The group that you work with makes all the difference, working with nice people makes the day go by faster! I learned a lot about working in a food production facility. I worked my way up from palletizer to case erector, and know I work as a robot operator. Hardest part of the day is knowing I could be making more money for my time somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of the day is of course break time!
Pros
Health Beneifits.
Cons
Unpaid half hour lunch break.
No Momentum in this company
TALENT ACQUISITION LEAD - Information Solutions (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 December 2016
Maple Leaf is barely profitable and this is a convenient way to justify no bonuses and minimal salary increases. The management level is highly political and populated by some people who spend their days being charming and managing up!
Don't work there
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON5 December 2016
-typical day at work

Was always hectic with broken down machinery in a cold and wet environment. Everything was always a 911 emergency and had to be fixed right away. The place was disorganized and never enough parts, resources or training. Radio etiquette of managers was rude.

-what you learned

learned a lot about food safety, was impressed and will eat their food after working there

-management

When I was hired they told me I was going into a high performance workforce and all that jazz but that was not the case. I felt that I had to prove myself everyday if you wanted to keep your job rather than focusing on doing your job correctly. If something went wrong you needed to show you were on top of everything at all times and it was the other guys fault. If you Live, Eat and Breath Maple Leaf Foods and throw all your coworkers under the bus to make your self look better then you may get that promotion.They will push and push and when you start to burn out they will chew you up and spit you out.

-your co-workers

co-workers were good but morale was very poor

-the hardest part of the job

the plant was designed for product flow and food safety, it was not designed for maintenance. if you will be working there for maintenance you will probably get lost in what's called "the interstitial" which is a second floor with all the equipment that doesn't need to be sanitized everyday.

-the most enjoyable part of the job

Driving away after my shift
Pros
it was a job inbetween job
Cons
forced overtime
Decent place to work
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2017
If you're going to apply , do it through a temp, you can pick your shifts and are never forced on weekends or for overtime unless you sign up for it . Pay is a little over minimum wage , which is decent to support a single person... pretty flexible with break times , most management and tLs are approachable and helpful. Very cold , machines go down often and when there's nothing to do it sure does get cold just standing there !
Pros
Bus shuttle, flexible breaks, coworkers
Cons
Cold
Great managment team and employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON16 January 2017
Plenty of hours in a good working environment. Management team is very helpful and transparent. Sadly, Maple Leaf has announced the closing of the plant that I currently work at. The hardest part of the job is being ok with being seen as the bad guy to ensure quality and health and safety is being maintained. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the employees and putting in a good honest days work.
Offers exceptional Stability, yet mentally depressing
Case Erector/Crib Unloader/Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON25 October 2016
Great pay and benefits which results in an overall very secure feeling. You can easily support yourself and a spouse and perhaps a child with the standard pay.

The downside is.. it's a meat factory! There is ZERO fulfillment there after 2 years of working there. This does not light a fire inside me of passion and desire.
Mental suicide everyday.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, work incentives.
Cons
Very boring. No real sense of duty/fuffillment
Fast-paced and challenging
Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 November 2016
Fast-paced and challenging, good company benefits and work perks through perkopolis. Various growth and development opportunities over the past sixteen years
Very productive workplace and employees were very loyal and had alot of employee who had 40 to 50 years of service. That alone makes a statement.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 August 2016
Hours - Very Typical

Learned how to work under stress.

Management followed corporate policy.

Everyone had an overwhelming amount of work load.

Co-workers were great and always had time for you.

Hardest part of the job - I was a contractor and not an employee and never got paid on time.

Enjoyable Part - I learned a whole lot about the food industry and their tax issues that has added a whole new level to what I can do.
Pros
Free Food, alot of employee events.
Cons
Management was very distant at times.
Fun workplace
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  lethbridge, AB27 July 2016
Everyday from work is always busy. I learned how to take care not only my job but also my co-workers. I don't like some management because some of them they don't fix the problem or it would take a months, year or never. Some of my co-worker are good worker but some of them are lazy I hate lazy people. for me the hardest part of the job even your trying your best in work the supervisors don't see that because they don't know what's real happening on the site cause they are not always there to look what's happening. Most enjoyable part of my job is to have co-worker at the same time friends and some of them we had a team work but it doesn't matter to me if there is a team cause I could work alone or as a team.
Pros
sometimes there's free lunch and has games..
Cons
only 8 hours Monday to Friday and they are giving overtime if you want too, or sometimes there is mandatory overtime.
Back breaking but decent pay
Production and chlorine examiner (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON17 June 2016
Great as long as you come into this workplace realizing it's just a job and not a career. Oh, punctuality and doing a good job too of course.
Management leaves zero room for advancements to employees who have the schooling and qualifications. Instead, as most places, they have their favorites. It's a cycle that'll never be broken.
Pros
Good supervisors
Cons
Age of facility is showing daily. Major breakdowns.
High production volume, fast and demanding work environment.
Industrial Mechanic / Millwright (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2017
Very fast production lines(bacon side), Almost no time for a proper repair during evening/night shifts. all repairs/PM's has tyo be done during production breaks/lunches, so no much time for a properly, safe way to do it. Very cold , noisy, and stressful work environment. Good work experience as have did work in different areas , and doing different assignments. Need to be ready to answer a call on radio practically all the time and on the first call despite you on a brake /lunch/washroom...especially during probation of 6 months...
Pros
Option to buy meat product for low cost. Good pay and overtime to top up the income
Cons
Forced overtime, need to supply your tools, cold/noisy/dirty work environment
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
Fast paced environment. Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and meet the deadlines.
Excellent, knowledgeable co-workers.
Most difficult part of the job is trying to educate management on a role which they are not familiar.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the budget process and new technology.
Company is technology focused.
Cons
Not much appreciation for work if you are in a support role.
Not for long term
Full Time Materials handler/ Shipper/ receiver (Former Employee) –  44 glover hannon ontario24 August 2016
minimal concern for the well being of product and employees
lack of communication with the employees
union is terrible
they never learn to make things better they continue to do the same mistakes which makes it a very bad place to work.
Pros
there is a shuttle that takes tyou to the front door from upper ottawa.
Cons
long hours, Cold, Temperory employees, unorganized, unclean
Unless you are desperate for a job stay away
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 May 2016
Corporate offices:
Worked in various departments Finance & IT over 15 years.
WAS a great place to work. Now a culture of oppression and lies.
No work life balance. Ask anyone in IT. Company wants you on call 24/7 and publishes your home number. Extremely high turnover especially in Finance. Ask how long your department manager has been there. Chances are under 2 years. Month end / year end you are expected to work non stop. Weekends / holidays do not exists. They keep cutting the period close deadlines shorter and shorter. They will promise you everything and deliver nothing. Their reward package "RFE" is now a complete joke. Rewards based on their value judgements and not your performance. A valued employe at Maple Leaf does not work hard, they just spend hundreds of hours there. It is all about being visible at work.

The company manages by intimidation. The culture of "you can easily be replaced" is rampant.

Look around the place. Do you see anyone smiling? Do you see anyone with grey hair? There is air of sadness all the time.
Pros
Pay scale is industry
Cons
No work life balance, long unrewarded hours, high turn over
Decent Place to Work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 December 2016
It is brutally cold, fast past environment, had to lift very heavy items of the entire day, the gloves that are given do little ton nothing to protect your hands from the coldness. Lots of down time makes it easy to warm up and take a break
Pros
Pay
Cons
Cold, Long Hours, Forced Overtime
Great place to work, family culture
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2017
Great place to work, employees are fantastic, family culture, high speed production lines with a lot of manual labour, cold environment, most areas of the plant are kept under 10deg
Pros
rewards for job performance
Cons
cold

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location