Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Good place for starting off career
Process Specialist (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 22, 2015
Pros: People are nice
Cons: Heavy work load, no life-work balance
Good place to work as a beginner. People are nice and management is improving. Salary is competitive but work loads are heavy. Limited time for training and development. Very difficult to move up.
ok place to work,good benefits
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 11, 2016
Pros: Good pay and benefits
Cons: Being held back
I felt like I was being held back from moving up to a higher paying job my co workers all spoke in their foreign language,which was frustrating.The hardest part was I was always busy being the only one doing the job, they were also long hours.They were 4 day weeks
Very good company
Meat Processor/Cutter (Former Employee), Brandon, MBApril 1, 2016
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: very noisily
Productive and good place for work with nice management and friendly co-workers. Team work enjoyable but every position is hard.
Productive and joyful energetic enviromnent
General Labour (Former Employee), Brandon, MBJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Cafeteria
Cons: The Heavy Lifting
Mon-Fri 3:30pm to 10:00pm
Go to the Locker rooms zone 9 get dress wear pants jacket helmet
Beginning of every shift meet my supervisor in the cut floor zone 3
Work on assembly line transporting raw materials
End of day store in your locker smocks jacket
I learned about General Food Hygiene Training
Food Safety facility Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points
HACCP
Three P's of food safety
Food Security Training
Food Safety Charter
Health And Safety Policy
Management very good told me everything properly and exact
Co-workers were very friendly
Hardest part of job would be repeatedly heavy lifting 50lbs
Being at a big company in Brandon Manitoba
Great People
Production Scheduler/Planner (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
Pros: People
Cons: Fragmented Goal Setting
Overall the company is looking into the future for the people whom want raise families with nutritional supplemental life style.
good place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Learned a lot of different jobs.friendly people. Bad management.Boring repetitive Jobs, cold environment. Good pay but you have to work hard.
fun workplace
Production Worker (Current Employee), Brandon, MBDecember 21, 2015
Pros: Medical Benifites
Cons: full time job
According to me,I have great experience to work with multicultural people with good management and medical benefits.I can take opportunities of free study and English classes.
Productive and Good Environment
Line Operator (Former Employee), St. Marys, ONMay 25, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Co-workers, Fast Speed
Cons: Long hours, Concrete Floors, Cold
A typical day at work would be going in and punching in, and then putting the uniform on such as an apron, gloves, mesh gloves, and going to a line and cutting raw meat to specific weights everyday. Then get a 10 minute first break, a half hour lunch, and then another 10 minute break. I learned how to work well with people from all different kinds of cultures, and also how to work at a fast pace to make sure I was keeping up with the amounts of chicken to have cut by a certain time limit. I also learned how to work in a factory, because it is a different setting then most places. The co-workers were from different cultures and mainly spoke with different languages, but were very hard working and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job would have been standing on concrete all day, but I managed to get used to it. Most enjoyable part was meeting all the people I got to meet, and all the different techniques I got to learn.
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
General Labourer (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Healthy Lunches
Cons: Stinky
Day always started smooth, always learned how to use the tools needed for the various jobs. Management was always on the watch of all the workers, everyone got along, that hardest part was always passing the threshold of those first few hours of work.
the most enjoyable part was working with great people everyday
Competitive workplace
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: Free lunches, corporate card, paid cellphone
Cons: extremely long hours
Extremely busy environment with lack of communication, organization and proper planning.

It is a good place to work if you are extremely driven, and have an aggressive personality. If you are more passive and want a coaching environment, this is not the ideal workplace.
Energetic, fast pace , fun environment to work
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), MississaugJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Get to tasted test products before they are launched..
Cons: Long hours at times
Maple Leaf Foods was a fun and friendly environment to worked, I was given the opportunity to learn and developed over the years as Administrator. The management gives you the opportunity to be authoritive of what you do with their approval . The colleagues were warm and friendly. It was hard at times to keep up with the ever changing task and keep up with deadlines. Overall, I enjoyed having being able to management my work from start to finish and being flexible of what you do.
Could be good......but isn't
Electrician (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 10, 2016
Pros: Its always the same temperature, easy to get good seniority (everybody quits)
Cons: Too many to list (I did try in the review though)
Interesting machines but no training, thrown out in to the wild world of slicing and packaging with only your wits and tools ,your own tools may I add they say they provide tools but after a year all i got was a meter and a few screwdrivers.

Shifts change like the wind, you can plan anything around them.

Nobody stays any tradesman worth his salt has left or is looking for work. ridiculous turn around of workers even on production.

Workshop consists of 1 drill, a welder and 3 grinders. ooo sorry I forgot the old drill press with a makeshift vise.

Pension is low and I mean really low, you have to work here for 2 full calender years to get 2% matched.

No respect for our professional opinions and it takes forever to get simple materials for even the most urgent repairs.
Productive and independent enviroment
Line Operator (Former Employee), St. Marys, ONApril 14, 2016
Pros: Income, a lot of hours, long brakes
Cons: Cold and damp, smelly
Working at Maple Leaf had to have been the best job I ever had. I loved it there. The only thing that I could live without, was the cold. Once I became full time, and moved to a department where it was warmer and everything was a bit faster, I was fine. The pay was great, and everyone kept to them selves, but we all still worked as a team. We would all have our own spot on the line. When the line started up, everyone just did there job until brake. The hardest part about working at Maple Leaf would have to be eviscerating a bird on a moving line. The line doesn't stop for you, so you have to be quick. The best part about the job was it was quiet when listening to music on your headset. Very relaxing when your get the hang of what your doing. I learned how to properly salvage a bird and was shown the difference between good and bad product. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would in a heart beat.
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 24, 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: Great team to work for
Cons: Needs better training time
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
my opinion
Receiver (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKApril 29, 2016
Pros: it's a job
Cons: union, unpaid lunch
The job is good for me, only because i have a little seniority to be able to stay on the shift i am currently on. I have learned everything that is able to be learned as a receiver which includes inventory, labeling, putting loads away, problem solving, as well as order picking, and loading trailers. Management is really good to deal with as long as you have a mature attitude. As all places of employment you have have to deal with a certain amount of immature people, but this can be avoided by simply focusing on your job and excelling at it. The hardest part is dealing with the immature employees & the most enjoyable part is.
Good qualified and great leaders but very demanding
Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioJuly 10, 2015
Pros: free food samples
Cons: long hours
Depending on where you work, it can vary. People working at Corporate offices have good work-life balance and many perks.

Employees at the manufacturing plants not so much. Everyone is over worked and underpaid including salaried and hourly.
Over all culture is about executing at any cost with little or no recognition. Focus on development and training is low but they are trying to get better at it.
there will always be something to look forward to each day
General Laborer (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: more overtimes with free meals
My co-workers are very helpful and they make me forget that our job is not really that easy. Though our job is quite tiring, we've managed to balance our personal and work life.
same routine
Production Worker (Current Employee), Brandon, MBSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: good timing for me
Cons: long same routine hours
I learnt to work all kind of people. Management is not much effective. Working with different people are good to know the culture and languages of them.