Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Offers exceptional Stability, yet mentally depressing
Case Erector/Crib Unloader/Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON25 October 2016
Great pay and benefits which results in an overall very secure feeling. You can easily support yourself and a spouse and perhaps a child with the standard pay.

The downside is.. it's a meat factory! There is ZERO fulfillment there after 2 years of working there. This does not light a fire inside me of passion and desire.
Mental suicide everyday.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, work incentives.
Cons
Very boring. No real sense of duty/fuffillment
Not very pleasant to work in MLF
Business Systems Analyst/Senior IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2016
Lack of work/life balance
No pay rise, no overtime pay, but require to work long hour
No job security, easy to get lay off
Salary is below market standard
Pros
Nothing to mention
Cons
Poor culture
No Momentum in this company
TALENT ACQUISITION LEAD - Information Solutions (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 December 2016
Maple Leaf is barely profitable and this is a convenient way to justify no bonuses and minimal salary increases. The management level is highly political and populated by some people who spend their days being charming and managing up!
Fast-paced and challenging
Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 November 2016
Fast-paced and challenging, good company benefits and work perks through perkopolis. Various growth and development opportunities over the past sixteen years
Worked with a great crew, work was fun.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Canning, NS7 August 2016
Worked night shift.Work started with going over things with the day shift on what needs to be done.Picked orders that need to go out the door, loaded trucks with fork lifts and walkies.Worked computer printing off bills to go with the orders,cleaned up work area when finished.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Worked nights.
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.
Not a very good workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Glover Road, Hannon, Hamilton9 October 2016
Very cold work place. A lot of downtime and standing in cold when machines are not running.No communication at all. Supervisors have no clue at all. Employee services is not good at all. The only best part was coworkers. Everybody get along and work together and have fun. Forced to work on every weekend. They do not care about employees personal life. No work life balance. No scope of advancement.
Pros
lunches on long weekend in summer.
Cons
Zero work life balance. Supervisors are clueless about anything. No respect for employees.
It was an excellent place to work.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
I loved every minute of working here for 15 years.And had very good coworkers. Management was alright compared to lot of other companies.
Pros
Good salary and very good benefits.
Cons
Very cold temperature inside in some areas.
excellent
Semi-Skilled Butcher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2016
Great job. A fast paced environment. The hours are great, as is the culture and I don't think anything negative about Maple leaf Foods. The pay was reduced which given the quality of work and pace of the the job was not good. Warman road Maple leaf in its Prime was great. Supervisors,co-workers.
Pros
guaranteed hours/benefits environment
Cons
pay reduction over the years
Productive , hardworker and Flexible
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Weston, ON20 November 2016
A manufacturing of food products like ham, corn beef, bologna etc. Confident in dealing diverse people. Has an ability to solve the problem quickly. Always coordinated to the supervisor . Their management always reminding us about our safety. We always have a good team work to achieve a good production in daily schedule.
Pros
Break time
alright place
Shipper / Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
its alright has its ups and downs.

management is fair
location is fairly far
benefits are good
paid weekly
direct deposit
High production volume, fast and demanding work environment.
Industrial Mechanic / Millwright (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2017
Very fast production lines(bacon side), Almost no time for a proper repair during evening/night shifts. all repairs/PM's has tyo be done during production breaks/lunches, so no much time for a properly, safe way to do it. Very cold , noisy, and stressful work environment. Good work experience as have did work in different areas , and doing different assignments. Need to be ready to answer a call on radio practically all the time and on the first call despite you on a brake /lunch/washroom...especially during probation of 6 months...
Pros
Option to buy meat product for low cost. Good pay and overtime to top up the income
Cons
Forced overtime, need to supply your tools, cold/noisy/dirty work environment
Very productive workplace and employees were very loyal and had alot of employee who had 40 to 50 years of service. That alone makes a statement.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 August 2016
Hours - Very Typical

Learned how to work under stress.

Management followed corporate policy.

Everyone had an overwhelming amount of work load.

Co-workers were great and always had time for you.

Hardest part of the job - I was a contractor and not an employee and never got paid on time.

Enjoyable Part - I learned a whole lot about the food industry and their tax issues that has added a whole new level to what I can do.
Pros
Free Food, alot of employee events.
Cons
Management was very distant at times.
productive and fast paced
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON8 April 2016
great company to work for. good salary,good benefits,lots of overtime when required. and excellent management that actually listens to employees.
Pros
free employee lunches
Cons
smelly meat environment
Fun workplace
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  lethbridge, AB27 July 2016
Everyday from work is always busy. I learned how to take care not only my job but also my co-workers. I don't like some management because some of them they don't fix the problem or it would take a months, year or never. Some of my co-worker are good worker but some of them are lazy I hate lazy people. for me the hardest part of the job even your trying your best in work the supervisors don't see that because they don't know what's real happening on the site cause they are not always there to look what's happening. Most enjoyable part of my job is to have co-worker at the same time friends and some of them we had a team work but it doesn't matter to me if there is a team cause I could work alone or as a team.
Pros
sometimes there's free lunch and has games..
Cons
only 8 hours Monday to Friday and they are giving overtime if you want too, or sometimes there is mandatory overtime.
Great managment team and employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON16 January 2017
Plenty of hours in a good working environment. Management team is very helpful and transparent. Sadly, Maple Leaf has announced the closing of the plant that I currently work at. The hardest part of the job is being ok with being seen as the bad guy to ensure quality and health and safety is being maintained. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the employees and putting in a good honest days work.
Not for long term
Full Time Materials handler/ Shipper/ receiver (Former Employee) –  44 glover hannon ontario24 August 2016
minimal concern for the well being of product and employees
lack of communication with the employees
union is terrible
they never learn to make things better they continue to do the same mistakes which makes it a very bad place to work.
Pros
there is a shuttle that takes tyou to the front door from upper ottawa.
Cons
long hours, Cold, Temperory employees, unorganized, unclean
Very good company
Meat Processor/Cutter (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB1 April 2016
Productive and good place for work with nice management and friendly co-workers. Team work enjoyable but every position is hard.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
very noisily
Don't work there
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON5 December 2016
-typical day at work

Was always hectic with broken down machinery in a cold and wet environment. Everything was always a 911 emergency and had to be fixed right away. The place was disorganized and never enough parts, resources or training. Radio etiquette of managers was rude.

-what you learned

learned a lot about food safety, was impressed and will eat their food after working there

-management

When I was hired they told me I was going into a high performance workforce and all that jazz but that was not the case. I felt that I had to prove myself everyday if you wanted to keep your job rather than focusing on doing your job correctly. If something went wrong you needed to show you were on top of everything at all times and it was the other guys fault. If you Live, Eat and Breath Maple Leaf Foods and throw all your coworkers under the bus to make your self look better then you may get that promotion.They will push and push and when you start to burn out they will chew you up and spit you out.

-your co-workers

co-workers were good but morale was very poor

-the hardest part of the job

the plant was designed for product flow and food safety, it was not designed for maintenance. if you will be working there for maintenance you will probably get lost in what's called "the interstitial" which is a second floor with all the equipment that doesn't need to be sanitized everyday.

-the most enjoyable part of the job

Driving away after my shift
Pros
it was a job inbetween job
Cons
forced overtime
Decent Place to Work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 December 2016
It is brutally cold, fast past environment, had to lift very heavy items of the entire day, the gloves that are given do little ton nothing to protect your hands from the coldness. Lots of down time makes it easy to warm up and take a break
Pros
Pay
Cons
Cold, Long Hours, Forced Overtime