Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

excellent experience of Poultry food industry
Quality Assurance Technician (Co-op Student) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 November 2016
i have learned a lot, everybody is helping and supervisors are available for guidance all the time, in a short time i am totally mixed up in their environment and love to be with them, defiantly miss them after completion of co-op program.
it is an excellent experience to work with well known and huge poultry industry. thanks to Maple Leaf for providing me first Canadian experience.
Offers exceptional Stability, yet mentally depressing
Case Erector/Crib Unloader/Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON25 October 2016
Great pay and benefits which results in an overall very secure feeling. You can easily support yourself and a spouse and perhaps a child with the standard pay.

The downside is.. it's a meat factory! There is ZERO fulfillment there after 2 years of working there. This does not light a fire inside me of passion and desire.
Mental suicide everyday.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, work incentives.
Cons
Very boring. No real sense of duty/fuffillment
Not a very good workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Glover Road, Hannon, Hamilton9 October 2016
Very cold work place. A lot of downtime and standing in cold when machines are not running.No communication at all. Supervisors have no clue at all. Employee services is not good at all. The only best part was coworkers. Everybody get along and work together and have fun. Forced to work on every weekend. They do not care about employees personal life. No work life balance. No scope of advancement.
Pros
lunches on long weekend in summer.
Cons
Zero work life balance. Supervisors are clueless about anything. No respect for employees.
Work area is cold, fun and productive
Production Service Lines (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 October 2016
Productive and fun workplace, people work fast in the conveyor.
Work area is cold because its food processing factory. Co-workers are hardworking but enjoying the job. Supervisors are strict but supportive and easy to approach.

Hardest part of the job if the machines are down, but have to continue working manually.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working with others to reach quota.
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
Fast paced environment. Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and meet the deadlines.
Excellent, knowledgeable co-workers.
Most difficult part of the job is trying to educate management on a role which they are not familiar.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the budget process and new technology.
Company is technology focused.
Cons
Not much appreciation for work if you are in a support role.
Productive , hardworker and Flexible
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Weston, ON20 November 2016
A manufacturing of food products like ham, corn beef, bologna etc. Confident in dealing diverse people. Has an ability to solve the problem quickly. Always coordinated to the supervisor . Their management always reminding us about our safety. We always have a good team work to achieve a good production in daily schedule.
Pros
Break time
Cons
Very productive workplace and employees were very loyal and had alot of employee who had 40 to 50 years of service. That alone makes a statement.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 August 2016
Hours - Very Typical

Learned how to work under stress.

Management followed corporate policy.

Everyone had an overwhelming amount of work load.

Co-workers were great and always had time for you.

Hardest part of the job - I was a contractor and not an employee and never got paid on time.

Enjoyable Part - I learned a whole lot about the food industry and their tax issues that has added a whole new level to what I can do.
Pros
Free Food, alot of employee events.
Cons
Management was very distant at times.
Not for long term
Full Time Materials handler/ Shipper/ receiver (Former Employee) –  44 glover hannon ontario24 August 2016
minimal concern for the well being of product and employees
lack of communication with the employees
union is terrible
they never learn to make things better they continue to do the same mistakes which makes it a very bad place to work.
Pros
there is a shuttle that takes tyou to the front door from upper ottawa.
Cons
long hours, Cold, Temperory employees, unorganized, unclean
Production line operator
PRODUCTION LINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 September 2016
Get gear on one black jacket one long white lab coat rain boots hair net plastic gloves hard hat goggles and ear plugs what I have learned is that how meat is truly processed management is very busy all the time hardest part of the job is the lifting the most enjoyable part of the job the extra hours
Pros
BIG LUNCH ROOM
Cons
VERY COLD IN PLANT
Great people to work with
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ON12 November 2016
Terrible pay, but a steady income. There is no real training, you pretty much have to train yourself and get your fellow employees to help you. There is a lot of down time and standing around. That being said, most of the employees are very nice and approachable.
Pros
Over time incentives
Cons
Cold environment, lousy pay
Challenging and fun workplace environment
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2016
Able to do my best in performing my job even though it is not related to my previous work. I learned a lot specially in dealing with past faced environment, standing for a long period of time and having a short break time. Exciting and a really much fun of learning.
Pros
Free lunch during friday
Cons
minimal break
Good environment
Order Processing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 October 2016
My job is billing, invoicing, printing pick sheets. I learned a lot and develop my skills. co-workers are very helpful and work as a team, Transparent open communication. enjoyable part of the job is balance between work and personal life.
Pros
Gift cards, Meal
Cons
cold inside warehouse
Fun place to work with all staff treating you with respect
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB8 December 2016
You are well trained and fully equiped for the assignment. Safety is of a paramount importance and the company takes great pain in teaching and training all staff on that.

Great place to work.
Pros
Free shoes, smocks and winter wear
Cons
Cold enviroment
Fun workplace
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  lethbridge, AB27 July 2016
Everyday from work is always busy. I learned how to take care not only my job but also my co-workers. I don't like some management because some of them they don't fix the problem or it would take a months, year or never. Some of my co-worker are good worker but some of them are lazy I hate lazy people. for me the hardest part of the job even your trying your best in work the supervisors don't see that because they don't know what's real happening on the site cause they are not always there to look what's happening. Most enjoyable part of my job is to have co-worker at the same time friends and some of them we had a team work but it doesn't matter to me if there is a team cause I could work alone or as a team.
Pros
sometimes there's free lunch and has games..
Cons
only 8 hours Monday to Friday and they are giving overtime if you want too, or sometimes there is mandatory overtime.
Worked with a great crew, work was fun.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Canning, NS7 August 2016
Worked night shift.Work started with going over things with the day shift on what needs to be done.Picked orders that need to go out the door, loaded trucks with fork lifts and walkies.Worked computer printing off bills to go with the orders,cleaned up work area when finished.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Worked nights.
they just want the work done regardless of employees health
General labor (Former Employee) –  toronto,ont18 September 2016
i did not enjoy my years of working there maple leaf foods only cares about getting the work done regardless of anyone's health i guess that is why they pay well
Pros
pays well
Cons
they just want the work done they really don't consider the employees health
Back breaking but decent pay
Production and chlorine examiner (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON17 June 2016
Great as long as you come into this workplace realizing it's just a job and not a career. Oh, punctuality and doing a good job too of course.
Management leaves zero room for advancements to employees who have the schooling and qualifications. Instead, as most places, they have their favorites. It's a cycle that'll never be broken.
Pros
Good supervisors
Cons
Age of facility is showing daily. Major breakdowns.
Over-aggressive management, poor worker morale, high turnover
Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 June 2016
I found overall that Maple Leaf Foods was not an employer that treated skilled trades with respect, and in fact in some cases we were purposely mis-treated. I learned that they would find opportunities to force us to work on the weekend without paying overtime, and that management was over-aggressive and in many cases rude to the employees. It is not a family or friendly environment as you do not threaten family or friends. I would not work for MLF again and would encourage others to seek employment elsewhere.
Cons
Work weekend without overtime/recieved $2 food coupon for Christmas bonus
Not very pleasant to work in MLF
Business Systems Analyst/Senior IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2016
Lack of work/life balance
No pay rise, no overtime pay, but require to work long hour
No job security, easy to get lay off
Salary is below market standard
Pros
Nothing to mention
Cons
Poor culture
Productive but strained
Temporary Worker (Current Employee) –  333 courtneypark drive, mississauga18 July 2016
The machines were always having issues, they would frequently break down causing problems down the line.
End of the line workers have a lot of trouble keeping up with the amount of product coming down the line because the workers are consistently taken away from the end of the line.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location