Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Over-aggressive management, poor worker morale, high turnover
Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 7, 2016
I found overall that Maple Leaf Foods was not an employer that treated skilled trades with respect, and in fact in some cases we were purposely mis-treated. I learned that they would find opportunities to force us to work on the weekend without paying overtime, and that management was over-aggressive and in many cases rude to the employees. It is not a family or friendly environment as you do not threaten family or friends. I would not work for MLF again and would encourage others to seek employment elsewhere.
Cons
Work weekend without overtime/recieved $2 food coupon for Christmas bonus
Back breaking but decent pay
Production and chlorine examiner (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ONJune 17, 2016
Great as long as you come into this workplace realizing it's just a job and not a career. Oh, punctuality and doing a good job too of course.
Management leaves zero room for advancements to employees who have the schooling and qualifications. Instead, as most places, they have their favorites. It's a cycle that'll never be broken.
Pros
Good supervisors
Cons
Age of facility is showing daily. Major breakdowns.
my opinion
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 29, 2016
The job is good for me, only because i have a little seniority to be able to stay on the shift i am currently on. I have learned everything that is able to be learned as a receiver which includes inventory, labeling, putting loads away, problem solving, as well as order picking, and loading trailers. Management is really good to deal with as long as you have a mature attitude. As all places of employment you have have to deal with a certain amount of immature people, but this can be avoided by simply focusing on your job and excelling at it. The hardest part is dealing with the immature employees & the most enjoyable part is.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
union, unpaid lunch
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2016
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
Needs better training time
Steady, fairly easy and rewarding work
Material Supplier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 14, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods offers a large variety of positions. Anywhere from Operators, to material handlers. The job in my opinion is fairly easy, not requiring extensive amounts of training but it does require attention to detail. Finding your own motivation to work there is also important. Overall, the job is good for any age bracket and any skill bracket.
excellent
Semi-Skilled Butcher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 27, 2016
Great job. A fast paced environment. The hours are great, as is the culture and I don't think anything negative about Maple leaf Foods. The pay was reduced which given the quality of work and pace of the the job was not good. Warman road Maple leaf in its Prime was great. Supervisors,co-workers.
Pros
guaranteed hours/benefits environment
Cons
pay reduction over the years
Shipper / Receiver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 6, 2016
I was on contract through agency i wish i could be the their employee it was great experience. Friendly and very good working environment all employees and managers are very professional and very helpful to each other in this organization.
Pros
Free Lunches
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
Productive but strained
Temporary Worker (Current Employee) –  333 courtneypark drive, mississaugaJuly 18, 2016
The machines were always having issues, they would frequently break down causing problems down the line.
End of the line workers have a lot of trouble keeping up with the amount of product coming down the line because the workers are consistently taken away from the end of the line.
Could be good......but isn't
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 10, 2016
Interesting machines but no training, thrown out in to the wild world of slicing and packaging with only your wits and tools ,your own tools may I add they say they provide tools but after a year all i got was a meter and a few screwdrivers.

Shifts change like the wind, you can plan anything around them.

Nobody stays any tradesman worth his salt has left or is looking for work. ridiculous turn around of workers even on production.

Workshop consists of 1 drill, a welder and 3 grinders. ooo sorry I forgot the old drill press with a makeshift vise.

Pension is low and I mean really low, you have to work here for 2 full calender years to get 2% matched.

No respect for our professional opinions and it takes forever to get simple materials for even the most urgent repairs.
Pros
Its always the same temperature, easy to get good seniority (everybody quits)
Cons
Too many to list (I did try in the review though)
everyday was a new place
Production Line Worker/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 25, 2016
working in a team environment making sure things get done on time and with a professional look and attitude. learned many things and city restrictions, hardest days is when it is very hot or when it is raining.
Pros
get rain days off
Cons
get rain days off
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Day always started smooth, always learned how to use the tools needed for the various jobs. Management was always on the watch of all the workers, everyone got along, that hardest part was always passing the threshold of those first few hours of work.
the most enjoyable part was working with great people everyday
Pros
Healthy Lunches
Cons
Stinky
Productive and independent enviroment
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ONApril 14, 2016
Working at Maple Leaf had to have been the best job I ever had. I loved it there. The only thing that I could live without, was the cold. Once I became full time, and moved to a department where it was warmer and everything was a bit faster, I was fine. The pay was great, and everyone kept to them selves, but we all still worked as a team. We would all have our own spot on the line. When the line started up, everyone just did there job until brake. The hardest part about working at Maple Leaf would have to be eviscerating a bird on a moving line. The line doesn't stop for you, so you have to be quick. The best part about the job was it was quiet when listening to music on your headset. Very relaxing when your get the hang of what your doing. I learned how to properly salvage a bird and was shown the difference between good and bad product. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would in a heart beat.
Pros
Income, a lot of hours, long brakes
Cons
Cold and damp, smelly
Productive and joyful energetic enviromnent
General Labour (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBJanuary 21, 2016
Mon-Fri 3:30pm to 10:00pm
Go to the Locker rooms zone 9 get dress wear pants jacket helmet
Beginning of every shift meet my supervisor in the cut floor zone 3
Work on assembly line transporting raw materials
End of day store in your locker smocks jacket
I learned about General Food Hygiene Training
Food Safety facility Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points
HACCP
Three P's of food safety
Food Security Training
Food Safety Charter
Health And Safety Policy
Management very good told me everything properly and exact
Co-workers were very friendly
Hardest part of job would be repeatedly heavy lifting 50lbs
Being at a big company in Brandon Manitoba
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
The Heavy Lifting
Review about my work place
4th Class Power Engineer Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
My work place is good for working. Working environment is cold and too noise but ok. I am Happy to my work. I can learn so many new things like work with safety, some technical job etc.Our management is good and helping.
It was an excellent place to work.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
I loved every minute of working here for 15 years.And had very good coworkers. Management was alright compared to lot of other companies.
Pros
Good salary and very good benefits.
Cons
Very cold temperature inside in some areas.
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 24, 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.
Kind people to work with, management isn't well structured
Production Worker/Backup Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 16, 2016
Friendly people to work with, management is not well organized. Also work is not steady, even with being hired on as full time, didn't always receive full time hours.
Entertainments. Tv.
Maintenance Mechanic and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2016
very good.
cought fire at baking oven. it too
k one day to restore the whole system.
trade certificate and business planning and control.
CMMS and CPMS.
GOING A HEAD TOWARD SAP.
nice team workers.
plant close shortage of work./resession.
move to other site
Pros
FREE BREAD FREE COFFEE.
Cons
LONG HRS EXTRA WORK.
Competitive workplace
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Extremely busy environment with lack of communication, organization and proper planning.

It is a good place to work if you are extremely driven, and have an aggressive personality. If you are more passive and want a coaching environment, this is not the ideal workplace.
Pros
Free lunches, corporate card, paid cellphone
Cons
extremely long hours

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location