Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
my opinion
Receiver (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKApril 29, 2016
Pros: it's a job
Cons: union, unpaid lunch
The job is good for me, only because i have a little seniority to be able to stay on the shift i am currently on. I have learned everything that is able to be learned as a receiver which includes inventory, labeling, putting loads away, problem solving, as well as order picking, and loading trailers. Management is really good to deal with as long as you have a mature attitude. As all places of employment you have have to deal with a certain amount of immature people, but this can be avoided by simply focusing on your job and excelling at it. The hardest part is dealing with the immature employees & the most enjoyable part is.
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: Great team to work for
Cons: Needs better training time
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
Steady, fairly easy and rewarding work
Material Supplier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 14, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods offers a large variety of positions. Anywhere from Operators, to material handlers. The job in my opinion is fairly easy, not requiring extensive amounts of training but it does require attention to detail. Finding your own motivation to work there is also important. Overall, the job is good for any age bracket and any skill bracket.
Productive and joyful energetic enviromnent
General Labour (Former Employee), Brandon, MBJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Cafeteria
Cons: The Heavy Lifting
Mon-Fri 3:30pm to 10:00pm
Go to the Locker rooms zone 9 get dress wear pants jacket helmet
Beginning of every shift meet my supervisor in the cut floor zone 3
Work on assembly line transporting raw materials
End of day store in your locker smocks jacket
I learned about General Food Hygiene Training
Food Safety facility Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points
HACCP
Three P's of food safety
Food Security Training
Food Safety Charter
Health And Safety Policy
Management very good told me everything properly and exact
Co-workers were very friendly
Hardest part of job would be repeatedly heavy lifting 50lbs
Being at a big company in Brandon Manitoba
Could be good......but isn't
Electrician (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 10, 2016
Pros: Its always the same temperature, easy to get good seniority (everybody quits)
Cons: Too many to list (I did try in the review though)
Interesting machines but no training, thrown out in to the wild world of slicing and packaging with only your wits and tools ,your own tools may I add they say they provide tools but after a year all i got was a meter and a few screwdrivers.

Shifts change like the wind, you can plan anything around them.

Nobody stays any tradesman worth his salt has left or is looking for work. ridiculous turn around of workers even on production.

Workshop consists of 1 drill, a welder and 3 grinders. ooo sorry I forgot the old drill press with a makeshift vise.

Pension is low and I mean really low, you have to work here for 2 full calender years to get 2% matched.

No respect for our professional opinions and it takes forever to get simple materials for even the most urgent repairs.
General Labourer (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Healthy Lunches
Cons: Stinky
Day always started smooth, always learned how to use the tools needed for the various jobs. Management was always on the watch of all the workers, everyone got along, that hardest part was always passing the threshold of those first few hours of work.
the most enjoyable part was working with great people everyday
Competitive workplace
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: Free lunches, corporate card, paid cellphone
Cons: extremely long hours
Extremely busy environment with lack of communication, organization and proper planning.

It is a good place to work if you are extremely driven, and have an aggressive personality. If you are more passive and want a coaching environment, this is not the ideal workplace.
Productive and independent enviroment
Line Operator (Former Employee), St. Marys, ONApril 14, 2016
Pros: Income, a lot of hours, long brakes
Cons: Cold and damp, smelly
Working at Maple Leaf had to have been the best job I ever had. I loved it there. The only thing that I could live without, was the cold. Once I became full time, and moved to a department where it was warmer and everything was a bit faster, I was fine. The pay was great, and everyone kept to them selves, but we all still worked as a team. We would all have our own spot on the line. When the line started up, everyone just did there job until brake. The hardest part about working at Maple Leaf would have to be eviscerating a bird on a moving line. The line doesn't stop for you, so you have to be quick. The best part about the job was it was quiet when listening to music on your headset. Very relaxing when your get the hang of what your doing. I learned how to properly salvage a bird and was shown the difference between good and bad product. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would in a heart beat.
Entertainments. Tv.
Maintenance Mechanic and Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Pros: FREE BREAD FREE COFFEE.
Cons: LONG HRS EXTRA WORK.
very good.
cought fire at baking oven. it too
k one day to restore the whole system.
trade certificate and business planning and control.
CMMS and CPMS.
GOING A HEAD TOWARD SAP.
nice team workers.
plant close shortage of work./resession.
move to other site
ok place to work,good benefits
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 11, 2016
Pros: Good pay and benefits
Cons: Being held back
I felt like I was being held back from moving up to a higher paying job my co workers all spoke in their foreign language,which was frustrating.The hardest part was I was always busy being the only one doing the job, they were also long hours.They were 4 day weeks
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 24, 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.
Kind people to work with, management isn't well structured
Production Worker/Backup Operator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 16, 2016
Friendly people to work with, management is not well organized. Also work is not steady, even with being hired on as full time, didn't always receive full time hours.
Great Company!
ANALYST (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 4, 2016
Great company culture with great leaders. My role was heavily team based and everyone was smart and great to work with. The company's values are not just letters on the wall, everyone authentically lives and works by them daily.
there will always be something to look forward to each day
General Laborer (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: more overtimes with free meals
My co-workers are very helpful and they make me forget that our job is not really that easy. Though our job is quite tiring, we've managed to balance our personal and work life.
productive and fast paced
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 8, 2016
Pros: free employee lunches
Cons: smelly meat environment
great company to work for. good salary,good benefits,lots of overtime when required. and excellent management that actually listens to employees.
fun workplace
Multivac Operator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONDecember 10, 2015
Pros: Team environment
My skill base for health and food safety started with this job and my knowledge and awareness grew for this company daily with different tasks and opportunities. The people were great and if the company didn't close this location I would have continued to grow in this company.
Good place for starting off career
Process Specialist (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 22, 2015
Pros: People are nice
Cons: Heavy work load, no life-work balance
Good place to work as a beginner. People are nice and management is improving. Salary is competitive but work loads are heavy. Limited time for training and development. Very difficult to move up.
work experience
Industrial mechanic (Current Employee), OntarioNovember 1, 2015
Pros: Good team
Cons: \no vacation during summer
Working here at the maple leaf Is very exciting ,Every day here we face new challenge and after solving the problems we feel so proud, we learned so many different thing \maple leaf have a very advance working environment we deals with robot and a high speed machines as well, Work environment is really very motivated
Unionized vs. Management
Semi-Skilled Operator (Current Employee), Hannon, ONMay 23, 2016
Unionized vs. Management is combative to say the least. Management seems to focus only on the numbers and not on the issues at hand that hinder those numbers being achieved