Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Red Flag
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaDecember 4, 2012
Pros – **The Associates- From Lead Hands, Machine Operators,Semi Skilled Labour, Mechanics, Sanitation department it is all of you that drives this company and with out your hard work and co-operation their would be no MLCF. Great bunch to work with!

**Experience-If your fresh out of university or college it is a good place to get your feet wet. Literally.

Cons – **Top heavy on the operations management side-Senior Production Supervisor role is a NON value added position and only limits the channel of communication between Production Supervisors and Production Managers

**Lacks training and development of Leadership team- Internal training and professional development programs are non existent on off shifts and slim to none on preferred shifts.

**Talent Retention-This company and this location specifically struggles to retain top talent and young talent. The Veteran leaders who poured the foundation of the plant stick around for ever with the stone age mentality of operations management. This creates a road block for the young leaders who waste away on off shifts and ultimately leave. There is no succession planning.

**Work Life Balance-Be prepared to work night shift or evening shift for min. of 7-10 years before you even get a shot at working regular day shift hours.

**Environment-Cold and Damp.

Advice to Senior Management – **Eliminate the Senior Production Supervisor role as it would force Production Managers and Manufacturing Managers to bridge the gap between them and the Production Supervisors. Too much information gets lost due to going through too many channels – more... of distribution.

**Re-instate SLP program or offer some sort of post secondary program hosted by the company to further those leaders who want to gain more knowledge in engineering, business etc.

**Get on the bandwagon of succession planing with your younger Production Supervisors who have 30+ more years of service ahead of them to contribute to this company. It does not benifit the company to have a revolving door and high turnover of young leaders while the relics ride out their time.

Winnipeg Manitoba. Lagimodiere plant specific – less
I learned a lot working here. Fun place to work, very busy
Occupational Health Coordinator/Nurse (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 18, 2015
I worked days, varying hours each day depending upon employee needs at the time. I would start my day checking my phone messages and emails for any high priority items that I would need to deal with that day. Following this, I would go out into the production areas to attend production meetings and meet with any employees requiring follow up due to illness, injury etc. This could be anywhere from 1-25 employees per department that would need to see me. I would return to my office and begin following up with employees on short term, long term, or WCB disability. Follow up included ensuring I had proper medical documentation to substantiate their time off, obtaining updates on their condition and following up with their health care providers as needed. Throughout the day, I was often called back out to production areas if any medical emergencies occurred or any accidents that needed to be investigated as well as having employees stop in for BP or Glucose testing. I was part of committees such as a smoking cessation committee, musculoskeletal injury committee, etc. I would also attend multidisciplinary team meetings, employee disciplinary and union meetings etc.

My manager and coworkers were awesome! We had a great team and worked very well together. It was like a work family!

The hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult employees. We often had employees with poor work ethic that would drag their heels a bit when it came to coming back to work. It was occasionally a struggle to reason with these employees but for the most part, I would be successful in – more... getting these people back to work.

Every aspect of my job was enjoyable. It would be very hard to pick just one thing that I enjoyed the most. – less
Good pay, lousy environment
Business Development Manager / Account Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 18, 2012
Pros: compensation, "free" company car.
Cons: work / life balance, politics
Maple Leaf is a company run by its Marketing department, which "owns" the P&L, but execution of the strategy is done by the Sales team. This leads to aggressive positioning (finger pointing, etc) between Marketing and Sales that is often difficult to resolve.

A typical day at work as a Business Development Manager includes 3 to 4 hours of internal meetings, between 50 and 100 emails (most of them internal), and a couple of phone calls and emails to the customer. The largest share of the workload is to manage internal relationships, not to work with the customer. Work / life balance is not taken seriously.

The most valuable lessons I learned during my time at Maple Leaf were about the dangers of overspecialization and politics. Maple Leaf has very tightly determined roles, is heavily "siloed", and doesn't often welcome cross-functional expertise that challenges the status quo. In addition, Maple Leaf is run on internal relationships, making it very difficult to achieve meaningful change.

Individuals who are seeking well compensated specialized work will probably enjoy Maple Leaf. Those who are hoping to contribute on a cross-functional level would, in my opinion, be better served by pursuing a Tier 2 or Tier 3 employer instead of Maple Leaf. Those preferring a "Category Management" approach to Sales will probably not be comfortable at Maple Leaf. Relationships continue to run the business and fact-based selling is a distant second.

May 11, 2012

I completely agree with this statement. If you have any extra schooling, or you want to provide productive inputs to improve things, you may as well not even enter the facility. This is all false however, if you have a family member working there. Then you could have no schooling and become a supervisor.

Enjoyable work environment.
SHIPPER/PALLET JACK OPERATOR/PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 9, 2013
Pros: reliable hours to fit family life, free coffee on fridays.
Cons: long term employment was unreliable, plant shut down.
Maple leaf has now closed down. At the time my day consisted of doing very light physical labour at an extremely fast pace. I worked on multiple jobs including shipping, palletizing, packaging and operating forklifts. Everything was very repetitive and the overtime was minimal.

Management was not as involved at maple leaf. They dealt with employees very professionally and with respect. Often they would watch from a distance or stop by periodically to see how thing's are running. It kept the atmosphere inside Maple Leaf relaxed and enjoyable.

At maple leaf while working in palletizing where i spent most of my years, you depend on other employees because sometimes 1 mans job can get overwhelming due to the speed so help is needed. In return you do the same when you witness someone else struggling to keep up. Not everyone has this quality and it brings departments closer together as a unit.

The high repetitions and constant standing was a bit tough to get used to. The job's performed were a bit mind numbing and not mentally challenging because there was no problem solving or planning.

Definately the most enjoyable part of the job was the employees. Maybe 1 out of 20 ever came to work in a bad mood or had a negative effect on other employees. Although the plant was 1000+ employees the bond between departments had a comforting feeling.
Fast paced food production/processing environment.
Preventative Maintenance and Project Crew Shift (Current Employee), Brandon, MBMay 12, 2013
Pros: good crew, management and a great cafeteria!
Cons: when the process fails and the animals suffer.
I work two days during production and two days Preventative Maintenance on the kill floor of a Hog Processing Facility. During production I would be called upon to keep the line running effeciently. When the line is running well I prep for the weekend Maintenance and Preventative and Time Based Maintenance Projects.
I learned that proper maintenance and preparation are key elements in keeping production moving smoothly. Having the time and parts necessary to perform proper upkeep of equipment is a huge benefit in such a fast paced atmosphere.
Our Management is respectful, educated and interested in any ideas we have for improving production and our work environment.
My co-workers are from diverse cultures and countries. It provides for an in depth view of ideas and solutions as well as insight into the advantages of interacting and sharing our personal insights. We ice fish, bbq and attend social functions regularly.
The hardest of job is working on the kill floor where the hogs are ethaunized and bled.
The most enjoyable and important part of the job is knowing that my contributions and hard work have had a measurable and noted improvement in production and efficiency in my area of responsibility.
productive and fun
Production line operator (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 7, 2014
Pros: 3 breaks, good pay.
Cons: long hours, working in the cold.
Working in the manufacturing business is a high level of physical work. i Started out as a general laborer working on numerous lines loading and packing. Some days were a lot colder then others so i always made sure to bundle up to prevent discomfort or getting sick. It did take time to adjust to the conditions and the long hours but i was always kept busy. After several years experience i requested a job as a multivac operator. This area of work can be stressful due to documentation, sequence of operation, targets, and time management. It is difficult to complete your daily priorities while solving intricate problems as they occur. It involves good observational skills, not only as a operator but as a general laborer as well. It is important to have a quick response to errors so you can fix problems before it proceeds to the customer. I learned many new techniques, strategies, and functions on how to run multiple machinery. The most enjoyable part are the coworkers, they were friendly and vibrant, your day goes by a lot faster with the people you work with. However, I did like learning about the machines and their robotic skills. It was interesting learning about it all because it was something new and different. great experience overall.
A close family working relationship..
Dispatch and Transportation Planner (Former Employee), Kitchener, OntarionFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: appreciated their staff..
Cons: plant closed
Co-ordinate the movement of the Company unionized drivers, within the collective agreement
- Adhere to departmental overtime policies for drivers Coordinate and schedule weekly Driver staffing and all weekend overtime as required
- Ensure all required movements are scheduled as required for both internal and external customers
- Arrange coverage for Driver illness and coworkers to ensure proper coverage for the next shift
- Adhere to and track drivers’ hours of service
- Ensure the timely departure of all shipments and monitor the trailer movement of the fleet
- Perform all Fleet and 3rd Party Carrier reporting as required through available technologies
- Implementing any procedural changes as they pertain to dispatcher and customer service requirement.
- Dealing with any issue for long haul drivers,
- Keeping up on the road Conditions to ensure that the driver is safe and the load will deliver on time.
- Create, verify and edit shipping orders on Citrix for Conestoga Cold Storage Mississauga
- SAP working knowledge
- Back up for Long Haul and Local planning
- Set up pre-plan load with outside carriers for Western Canada
- Set up loads for National Grocers Cambridge and Ajax
- Set up Customer Profiles
Avoid this place - Food Production
Food Production (Current Employee), Guelph ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: potlucks every couple of months
Cons: long hard hours cold minimal pay no respect management
Horrible management especially with the temp workers no proper communication and lots of bullying/harassing from foreign workers. Some of the workers are nice but a lot of them lack basic manners/english communication skills. I have been ripped off a couple dollars every other paycheck and it's always a big deal to fix they will try anything to cheat you out of a proper pay cheque. They can't even add the hours right. Very cold environment and definitely not worth the money. My fingers always hurt and get raw red from handling frozen meat as they provide you with minimal protection gloves for working. If you came in through a temp agency like me they will squeeze every penny out of you. My fellow co-workers have also told me they got ripped off and I have yet to hear them get their money back. It's okay if you desperately need a job but they treat the temps very poorly. I have worked there for almost a year and and have gotten laid off at least 5 times with the longest being 3 months and they never even called me back just hired more temp workers and gave them work every other week..Ugh there is just so much wrong with this company if you can just avoid the agencies that employ you to this company.
Never Fun
Labour (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJune 1, 2014
Pros: cold environment
Cons: short-staffed often, production numbers too high
A typical day at Maple Leaf? You show up to work and get ready and work on a production line. There are good people, and there are the one who are so two-faced. I have never in my life work with a company where there is so much sucking up to just management.
The life- work balance is very hard. Sometimes when you get the long weekend off, they usually make the employees come in the following weekend. Overtime is pretty hard to get, and yet there have been cases where production gets shut down due to mechanical issues. It's hard to plan your life around this job. Especially when you are involved in a relationship. During the week if there are issues with working short staffed, they want you to stay for the overtime after a 8 hour work day. It was very frustrating to have to be put in that situation. Don't stay, loose extra overtime. They expect you to make the company your number 1 priority, this is because that is what is expected of the management team.
The wages are sub-par, it's designed to keep you grounded. It was almost next to impossible to save money for holidays or travel. Most employers keep the wages low, to keep you as a employee. Makes you feel stuck as a employee. I was glad to get out when I did.
Customer Accounts Specialist for major accounts in the Atlantic Coast
Customer Accounts Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 4, 2013
Pros: great experience, great pay, great network, own office space, telephone number and email
Cons: long hours + weekends
As a Customer Accounts Specialist, my job was to manage customer accounts in the Atlantic Coast. Everyday I would get orders from customer of high quantity. My job was to enter there orders into the SAP system and ensure that it was processed correctly. While I managed about 15 main accounts daily, there were also other temporary accounts that were also my responsibility. After order placing, I had to ensure that all departments were looking after the account - including credit, shipping, warehouse etc. At the end of the day I had the responsibility to prepare reports about transaction occurring each day. I also created SOP for various accounts to help other CSRs work more efficiently and effectively. The difficult part of the job was that I had to manage some of the hardest accounts, especially in the early stages of the job. I enjoyed the interaction I had with company managers and supervisors across the country. This was also my first professional job where I had my own office space, telephone and email.
Drive for Results
Senior Manager (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: benefits, advancement opportunity, development support
Cons: work-life balance, culture, pay (unless you leave and come back)
Overall a good company with lots of potential which is the Achilles heel point. The philosophy of driving the employees to advance as far as possible up the ladder as quickly as possible neglects to nurture and support the longer term potential of employees, With the 'promise' of high end management positions in short time is short sighted and either good folks get frustrated (cannot have 100% directors in the company people) and leave or they wash out. The company needs to take time to let some workers be, and not paint all employees with the same brush. There are huge cost implications, both tangible and intangible, of constant workforce flux, not the least of which is training time, experience, and true development.
This company would do very well to tier its HR objectives and focus on nurturing long term or potential long term employees who are happy where they are; driving SOME employees to leverage their upper management potential, and finding a solid fit for good, but misplaced workers.

Work life balance is one of the core values, it is not followed one iota.
Lots of room for continuous improvement
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 23, 2013
Pros: lots of room to improve efficiency, processes, and gather data
Cons: some rough, out of date practices -- lack of automation and technology compared to other machine-based sectors.
Maple Leaf Foods has great cultural values for developing leadership and being accountable. It is committed to continuous improvement to refine its practices for the purpose of safer food and profitability.

Energetic, creative people will find lots of room to grow their skills amid skilled co-workers. Much of the supervision and management structure is very receptive to new ideas for improving processes, and let dynamic individuals work and advance their projects.

The one drawback is the occasional manager who doesn't want their employee to outshine them in a role, and lets personal opinion matter more than the fact based approach espoused by the cultural mission.
This leads to some areas that are resistant to change and maintenance of the status quo -- so the hardest part of the job is staying motivated to conquer such roadblocks, because the rest of the company is hungry to develop and succeed.
an ok company to work for
Blander operator (Current Employee), Kitchener ONJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: good money easy work, frendly coworkers.
Cons: damp, cold environment, company sees you as numbers not people, they care alot more about money then there employees, if you get injured dont expect the company to help to much
Typical work day is slow a bit steady. Since I have been at maple leaf I haven't really learned much. The work environment is not bad. The environment is cold and damp and every one in management doesn't know wants going on since they are hired off the street. If you ask for uniforms they wont give it to you. The employees are really good people to work with and helps the day go by when you can joke around with them. One con about maple leaf is that they don't do anything to try to minimize the amount of injuries until its to late. (e.g. an accident happened involving a walkie operator and a stacker operator. The machines weren't properly maintained and to fast for the environment for and the stacker operator lightly hit the walkie operator and broke the employees leg in three spots. After that accident maple leaf then desired 3months later to slow down all of the machines.
over alll great place to work
Full time/Part-time/Summer Student (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: relaxed
Cons: some times you have to give up your breaks because of problems but you do get rewarded for it.
i worked at the Kitchener plant for 4 almost 5 years. i have had many jobs there, i wont go into to much detail. i also was able to learn many things from this company about production, food handling and over all just how a corp. that sizes worked. management was a hit and miss. some supervisors knew what they were doing some did not, was really up to the workers and team to get things do. the foremen just kinda stood around or sat in there offices leaving there job to the lead hands to do. co-workers had good days and bad days like any one else but over all most of them were pleasant to work with. the hardest part of the job was communication between works and foremen. as i stated before the foremen just kinda so up and not really do any thing. most enjoyable part of the job was working with others, you become part of a family when working with the same people every day; looking out for each other, talking, some of my best memories where at maple leaf
Safe and respectable working environment
material control (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: job flexability
A typical day entails a lot of traveling to different departments to pick up dirty work uniforms. Afterwards the soiled garments are brought back to my department to be sorted by color and washed on their appropriate settings. I must be diligently observant about what is lacking in each department so when I return for a drop off, I deliver the right amount and proper sizes. I have learned a lot to cooperate and communicate effectively with my partner so as to make sure that our job is performed effectively and on time. I have also learned different sanitation procedures to avoid any possibility of cross contamination. Our management team is very proactively involved with its employees and are always readily available whenever even the slightest problem arises. I have a very good rapport with my coworkers. We work well as a unit. The most difficult aspect of my job would,occasionally, be the unloading of the industrial washers at times. I enjoy all other aspects of my job.
Productive and Good Environment
Line Operator (Former Employee), St. Marys, ONMay 25, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Co-workers, Fast Speed
Cons: Long hours, Concrete Floors, Cold
A typical day at work would be going in and punching in, and then putting the uniform on such as an apron, gloves, mesh gloves, and going to a line and cutting raw meat to specific weights everyday. Then get a 10 minute first break, a half hour lunch, and then another 10 minute break. I learned how to work well with people from all different kinds of cultures, and also how to work at a fast pace to make sure I was keeping up with the amounts of chicken to have cut by a certain time limit. I also learned how to work in a factory, because it is a different setting then most places. The co-workers were from different cultures and mainly spoke with different languages, but were very hard working and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job would have been standing on concrete all day, but I managed to get used to it. Most enjoyable part was meeting all the people I got to meet, and all the different techniques I got to learn.
high intensity
temporary (Current Employee), brampton,ontarioOctober 20, 2015
Pros: the company did provide free coffe and tea in the lunch room
Cons: ergonomics strategies, systems that have been put in place need improvement
The stability in terms of work is not the best; you aren't guaranteed to work a full 8 hrs shift per day sometimes your shift is cut short.
The work provided by this company must be executed in a frigid environment due to the fact that it is meat. That being said it does take a toll on your health; the PPE provided does not assist in terms of keeping an individual warm throughout their shift. During a shift a shift you may at times be required to perform tasks that cause temporary or in some cases permanent pain to certain parts of the body i.e wrists, joint, back etc... The individual that work at this company are for the most part very pleasant and enjoyable to work with. One of the best parts about this job is that it is a constant learning experience; there is no guarantee the you will be repeating the same task during your next shift.
Productive, Enjoyable place to work. Dedicated co-workers. Continueous learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioJune 25, 2013
Pros: hours to suit my needs at the time, benifits, continuous learning.
Cons: reluctance to continue an off-site relationship after my home relocation.
Maple Leaf Consumer Foods offered exactly what I was looking for at the time I needed it. A seasonal P/T position to begin, lead to permanent P/T and the hours that worked to my benefit.
MLCF is a fast paced environment that continues to provide challenging situations. Constant contact with the customer and internal departments encourages strong relationship building and character.
The most difficult part of the job was dealing with "fresh" product, inventory and on time delivery to the restaurants.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the customers, internal production planning, transportation and immediate co-workers. Building strong and trustworthy relationships was quite satisfying.
poor management, favouritism, lack of communication
General Labourer (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 1, 2014
Pros: adequate salary, pretty good benefits, employee market
Cons: poor management, favouritism, lack of communication
Supervisors had their favourite employees, most of these employees didn't even lift a finger for the entire shift. Why the supervisors were happier with the employees who did nothing, than the ones who worked hard is still a mystery to me. The supervisors mostly just sat in their office and did nothing, hardly ever went on the floor to see what everyone was doing. The leadhands were even lazier. Job training was not very good, supervisors chose worst people to train new employees, ones that were not very good at their job, who needed more training themselves, Sometimes you weren't sure how a certain customer wanted something to be done, you ask a leadhand or supervisor, they wouldn't know either, lack of communication within the department, sometimes even with other departments.
Good learning opportunities and ability to work cross-functionally
Process Specialist (Current Employee), MississaugaFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: good management
Cons: cross-departmental communication/collaboration, adherence to values systems
Typical day at work will involve both commissioning on plant floor, as well as data management, and office work.
There is great opportunity to learn about processing of various categories, and majority of colleagues are willing to share their knowledge.
Majority of the time hours are reasonable, however there are periods of long hours and early mornings. The hardest part of work is collaborating on tasks that are not part of others' typical responsibilities. The culture tends to revolve around each department having their set of responsibilities and unwilling to add work on top of it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to travel among locations and gain experience in different categories.