Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Effective caring place to work for. Very detailed to customer satisfaction of food products.
Packager/Loader Operator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 10, 2015
Cons: The company had to close down.
I learned the skills of safe food handlelling,and above all to make sure that the products going out to the customers are worthy of them eating.Management was caring yet firm in their dealings with employees.Coworkers were easy to work with, we all contributed in a team effort to ensure products met the standards required from us.The hardest part of the job was the temperature, it was a very cold setting to work in.The most enjoyable part of the job was the caring we all were like a family.
A slice of the Corporate Cake
Production Clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 8, 2015
Being the leading consumer packaged meats company in Canada, Maple Leaf Foods is one of the biggest and strongest food operation firms to work for as an employee. A typical hierarchal corporation, the time there teaches one the skill to climb up the corporate ladder if one strives hard enough. Tightly regulated, Maple Leaf is a specimen corporation run under parameters and guidelines. The management roles are highly evolved to accommodate to the growing competition teaching one flexibility and strategic advancement but also limiting the boundaries within which one can innovate and improve.
Productive workplace + 3000 birds daily
Line Worker (Former Employee), Thamesford, ONMarch 27, 2015
Pros: B-B-Q's in the summer, Time and a Half for over time hours paid daily
Cons: Cold atmosphere in some departments
I learned many skills pertaining to the many departments at Maple Leaf Consumer Foods. Handling of knives and proper sharpening Technics. Proper wearing of Personal Protective Equipment. Identifying Utility birds and Grade A for shipping. The importance of Cross Contamination from one department to another, and the effects it could have.
Great place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer packaged meats company, head quartered in Toronto, Ontario. It has great work culture. Very cooperative people to work with. Lot to learn.
productive work safe place
Multi-Vac Operator (Former Employee), KitchenerMarch 12, 2015
as an operator i will make sure we run the right product from start to the end, and follow schedule and do the aquarium test to prevent leak the packages. and use the right top and bottom film, top and bottom labels, date of the product. etc
Culture has changed over that past decade.
Analyst (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioMarch 11, 2015
Pros: pension plan
Cons: extremely long hours unrewarded
Long hours including weekends, holidays, over vacation as well.

Not rewarded for service or effort.

Cards played close to the chest from management.

Are some good people still trying to make it a fun place to work but morale is low ..

New direction of end products and wasted money on failed projects.
Central Lab is not well managed, high turnaround.
Microbial Technologist (Former Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 10, 2015
Perpetually understaffed with high turnaround, makes training difficult, chaotic.

Lack of middle management pushes tasks onto lab workers who are already swamped.

Managers do not give suitable feedback for development improvements in a timely manner.

Reviews/personal development not truly supported, but the actual PAD process is pushed way too hard--takes focus away from the actual job (never heard the end of it!)
- also, on the PAD note, management at Central Lab does not support staff reviewing themselves favourably, seeing most people as below average.

Rampant favouritism to support management's opportunity for promotion.

No budget for staff activities (team building, fun)--no time allotted for these things either.
i had a day shift job with benifits holidays paid and vacation
Maintenance Helper (Current Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 5, 2015
Pros: paid on a weekly basis
Cons: no pension to speak of
a meat plant life dress warm and work steady production jobs line work start shift lines do not stop until break or lunch production standards have to be reached each hour..paper work to track what is being done has to be filled out hourly...no exceptions..
Fast paced environment
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 3, 2015
Every day is different and has it's challenges. We are a facility of more than 500 people and operate 24 hours a day. I enjoy the hustle and bustle of the day, and having many coworkers.
TBC
Manager (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 27, 2015
This section will be completed shortly upon review of further profiles on Indeed. Testing the waters in the IT job market to assess if there might be any opportunity.
productive workplace
general labour 2 (Former Employee), hannonFebruary 26, 2015
i didnt learn much, no one would teach me.
not your typical work place, but a fun enviroment.
look forward to alot of forced in weekends.
productive
Production Worker (Former Employee), brandon, MBFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: not enough pay
A day at work on the cut floor at maple leaf foods is ok you have some hard workers and the ocassional slackers but does their work, what I learned there was communication skills and problem solving.
management is good and my co-workers were awesome people to work with.
the hardest part of my job was pulling rubs but got easier as the days went on, what I enjoyed working at maple leaf was meeting new people and learning different skills.
Good learning opportunities and ability to work cross-functionally
Process Specialist (Current Employee), MississaugaFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: good management
Cons: cross-departmental communication/collaboration, adherence to values systems
Typical day at work will involve both commissioning on plant floor, as well as data management, and office work.
There is great opportunity to learn about processing of various categories, and majority of colleagues are willing to share their knowledge.
Majority of the time hours are reasonable, however there are periods of long hours and early mornings. The hardest part of work is collaborating on tasks that are not part of others' typical responsibilities. The culture tends to revolve around each department having their set of responsibilities and unwilling to add work on top of it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to travel among locations and gain experience in different categories.
over alll great place to work
Full time/Part-time/Summer Student (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: relaxed
Cons: some times you have to give up your breaks because of problems but you do get rewarded for it.
i worked at the Kitchener plant for 4 almost 5 years. i have had many jobs there, i wont go into to much detail. i also was able to learn many things from this company about production, food handling and over all just how a corp. that sizes worked. management was a hit and miss. some supervisors knew what they were doing some did not, was really up to the workers and team to get things do. the foremen just kinda stood around or sat in there offices leaving there job to the lead hands to do. co-workers had good days and bad days like any one else but over all most of them were pleasant to work with. the hardest part of the job was communication between works and foremen. as i stated before the foremen just kinda so up and not really do any thing. most enjoyable part of the job was working with others, you become part of a family when working with the same people every day; looking out for each other, talking, some of my best memories where at maple leaf
Fast paced enviroment with lots of overtime available.
X-Ray Operator (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 16, 2015
Large company with lots of room for advancement and overtime. Company is still going through growing pains with their operations.
A close family working relationship..
Dispatch and Transportation Planner (Former Employee), Kitchener, OntarionFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: appreciated their staff..
Cons: plant closed
Co-ordinate the movement of the Company unionized drivers, within the collective agreement
- Adhere to departmental overtime policies for drivers Coordinate and schedule weekly Driver staffing and all weekend overtime as required
- Ensure all required movements are scheduled as required for both internal and external customers
- Arrange coverage for Driver illness and coworkers to ensure proper coverage for the next shift
- Adhere to and track drivers’ hours of service
- Ensure the timely departure of all shipments and monitor the trailer movement of the fleet
- Perform all Fleet and 3rd Party Carrier reporting as required through available technologies
- Implementing any procedural changes as they pertain to dispatcher and customer service requirement.
- Dealing with any issue for long haul drivers,
- Keeping up on the road Conditions to ensure that the driver is safe and the load will deliver on time.
- Create, verify and edit shipping orders on Citrix for Conestoga Cold Storage Mississauga
- SAP working knowledge
- Back up for Long Haul and Local planning
- Set up pre-plan load with outside carriers for Western Canada
- Set up loads for National Grocers Cambridge and Ajax
- Set up Customer Profiles
It's a good place to gain experience from , it's different from alot of other businesses .
sanitation worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: there were no pros included
Cons: the hours for most of my shifts were long at most un - announced times of my time there
Getting dressed in rubber overalls for major sanitizing work on production lines that killed fresh chickens and turkeys on a daily regular basis
Management was fine to work with always
My co - workers from my experience were very uptight & impatient to
work with my in - experience for that industry at that time , I was making constant mistakes as a new - comer to that workplace itself .
The hardest part of the job was the smell of turkey & chicken blood , it was very putrid that made alot of ourselves to feel queezy most of my time there
The most fun from it was to have nice chats with my manager on occasion
Process Specialist (Contract) (Current Employee), hamiltonJanuary 20, 2015
beatiful place to work in.......................................
It is unfortunate that this branch is closing
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee), Weston, ONJanuary 17, 2015
The people I have and am working with are a good bunch, to work with and to work for. I have no regrets, in fact I have also learned a lot. The hardest thing about Maple Leaf, Bartor road Division, is knowing that it is soon coming to an end. In the short time here I, have served Maintenance as a Scheduler, then Purchaser and presently as a Supervisor. I enjoyed every position and I did them well and with pride. Supervision was new to me and with the direct guidance and coaching of my Manager, I was able to adapt quickly. Overall I think Maple Leaf was glad to have me on board, as I, being part of the team.
See Resume
Purchasing Supervisor Technical (Former Employee), Kitchener, OntarioJanuary 14, 2015
I enjoy being a respected source for material and logistical services. I appreciate the confidence management has in my ability to always do what is best for my employer.

1 2 3 4 5

About Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a major Canadian food processing company, founded in 1927 as a merger of several major Toronto meat packers.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Photos