Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Company
Customer Supply Chain Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 26, 2016
Good Company to work for. Good environment and friendly workplace.

Good perks., Flexible hours, good team spirit. fast paced environment to meet daily deadlines.
Back breaking but decent pay
Production and chlorine examiner (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ONJune 17, 2016
Great as long as you come into this workplace realizing it's just a job and not a career. Oh, punctuality and doing a good job too of course.
Management leaves zero room for advancements to employees who have the schooling and qualifications. Instead, as most places, they have their favorites. It's a cycle that'll never be broken.
Pros
Good supervisors
Cons
Age of facility is showing daily. Major breakdowns.
terrible
Production Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 13, 2016
terrible nothing else to say, poorly ran! going down hill in the next few years! The human resources doesn't care about its employees
Over-aggressive management, poor worker morale, high turnover
Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 7, 2016
I found overall that Maple Leaf Foods was not an employer that treated skilled trades with respect, and in fact in some cases we were purposely mis-treated. I learned that they would find opportunities to force us to work on the weekend without paying overtime, and that management was over-aggressive and in many cases rude to the employees. It is not a family or friendly environment as you do not threaten family or friends. I would not work for MLF again and would encourage others to seek employment elsewhere.
Cons
Work weekend without overtime/recieved $2 food coupon for Christmas bonus
Shipper / Receiver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 6, 2016
I was on contract through agency i wish i could be the their employee it was great experience. Friendly and very good working environment all employees and managers are very professional and very helpful to each other in this organization.
Pros
Free Lunches
One of the best corp. cultures
Demand Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 31, 2016
One of the best corporate cultures I have ever experienced. Plenty of room for growth in all possible business and operations sectors.
Competative
Various Departments (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 31, 2016
I love working in a fast paced environment along with different cultures. I got to learn a lot in regards to different languages and foods and beliefs.
Review about my work place
4th Class Power Engineer Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
My work place is good for working. Working environment is cold and too noise but ok. I am Happy to my work. I can learn so many new things like work with safety, some technical job etc.Our management is good and helping.
alright place
Shipper / Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
its alright has its ups and downs.

management is fair
location is fairly far
benefits are good
paid weekly
direct deposit
excellent
Semi-Skilled Butcher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 27, 2016
Great job. A fast paced environment. The hours are great, as is the culture and I don't think anything negative about Maple leaf Foods. The pay was reduced which given the quality of work and pace of the the job was not good. Warman road Maple leaf in its Prime was great. Supervisors,co-workers.
Pros
guaranteed hours/benefits environment
Cons
pay reduction over the years
everyday was a new place
Production Line Worker/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 25, 2016
working in a team environment making sure things get done on time and with a professional look and attitude. learned many things and city restrictions, hardest days is when it is very hot or when it is raining.
Pros
get rain days off
Cons
get rain days off
Unionized vs. Management
Semi-Skilled Operator (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ONMay 23, 2016
Unionized vs. Management is combative to say the least. Management seems to focus only on the numbers and not on the issues at hand that hinder those numbers being achieved
Kind people to work with, management isn't well structured
Production Worker/Backup Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 16, 2016
Friendly people to work with, management is not well organized. Also work is not steady, even with being hired on as full time, didn't always receive full time hours.
Steady, fairly easy and rewarding work
Material Supplier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 14, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods offers a large variety of positions. Anywhere from Operators, to material handlers. The job in my opinion is fairly easy, not requiring extensive amounts of training but it does require attention to detail. Finding your own motivation to work there is also important. Overall, the job is good for any age bracket and any skill bracket.
N/a
Shipper (Current Employee) –  St. Marys, ONMay 12, 2016
best co. ever work pay and everything is a ok. very physical work god pay hard work flex shifts no time for anything just work
Pros
A
Cons
Z
Great Company!
ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 4, 2016
Great company culture with great leaders. My role was heavily team based and everyone was smart and great to work with. The company's values are not just letters on the wall, everyone authentically lives and works by them daily.
Unless you are desperate for a job stay away
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2016
Corporate offices:
Worked in various departments Finance & IT over 15 years.
WAS a great place to work. Now a culture of oppression and lies.
No work life balance. Ask anyone in IT. Company wants you on call 24/7 and publishes your home number. Extremely high turnover especially in Finance. Ask how long your department manager has been there. Chances are under 2 years. Month end / year end you are expected to work non stop. Weekends / holidays do not exists. They keep cutting the period close deadlines shorter and shorter. They will promise you everything and deliver nothing. Their reward package "RFE" is now a complete joke. Rewards based on their value judgements and not your performance. A valued employe at Maple Leaf does not work hard, they just spend hundreds of hours there. It is all about being visible at work.

The company manages by intimidation. The culture of "you can easily be replaced" is rampant.

Look around the place. Do you see anyone smiling? Do you see anyone with grey hair? There is air of sadness all the time.
Pros
Pay scale is industry
Cons
No work life balance, long unrewarded hours, high turn over
my opinion
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 29, 2016
The job is good for me, only because i have a little seniority to be able to stay on the shift i am currently on. I have learned everything that is able to be learned as a receiver which includes inventory, labeling, putting loads away, problem solving, as well as order picking, and loading trailers. Management is really good to deal with as long as you have a mature attitude. As all places of employment you have have to deal with a certain amount of immature people, but this can be avoided by simply focusing on your job and excelling at it. The hardest part is dealing with the immature employees & the most enjoyable part is.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
union, unpaid lunch
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2016
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
Needs better training time
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 24, 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.