Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

learnt a lot and had a great time there
electric pallet jack Driver,production worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2017
my workplace culture was fun as everybody was so communicative and helpful.i learnt many things like how to manage so many things in lesser time frame,multi tasking,workplace ethics and much more.i had very nice management.hardest part of job was sometimes it was too fast paced but good thing about that was i learned to cope up with pressure in work.most enjoyable part was driving itself.
Pros
weekly paycheques
Cons
nothing
OK place to work. Could be worse. Shift work.
Reliability Technician - Electrical (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 February 2017
Electrician work at Maple Leaf varies from routine to hectic, depending on area worked in. Generally money is good and work is not hard. Hours are 12 hr continental. High turnover in general labour, some turnover in Reliability (electricians and millwrights). Plant is 3 years new, still getting the bugs out. Supervision is varied with some turnover of staff. For a company that has been around as long as Maple Leaf, it does not show at this facility.
Pros
Pay is Ok. Work not physically difficult
Cons
Shift work. Cold environment
Decent place to work
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2017
If you're going to apply , do it through a temp, you can pick your shifts and are never forced on weekends or for overtime unless you sign up for it . Pay is a little over minimum wage , which is decent to support a single person... pretty flexible with break times , most management and tLs are approachable and helpful. Very cold , machines go down often and when there's nothing to do it sure does get cold just standing there !
Pros
Bus shuttle, flexible breaks, coworkers
Cons
Cold
Amazing team and management
Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 January 2017
I met some of the best people I have ever worked with. I had two managers at separate times and both were incredible and constantly teaching me more about the company. My director was one of the most amazing women I have ever met; she taught me so much about the food and meat industry and was always beyond supportive of my goals within the company and outside. Maple Leaf is a fantastic place to work, if it wasn't for being a contract employee I would not have left!
Fun and Busy
IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 February 2017
The work in Maple Leaf Foods is mostly working with tickets. I mainly focus on the New Hire and Termination Ticket. For new hire ticket, I will be creating the user account to the New Hire and giving their access accordingly. For termination ticket, I will be deleting all access of user and their account and disk. The experience in Maple Leaf Foods is mostly busy. Usually, it will take the whole day to finish all the tickets that I got.
Great managment team and employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON16 January 2017
Plenty of hours in a good working environment. Management team is very helpful and transparent. Sadly, Maple Leaf has announced the closing of the plant that I currently work at. The hardest part of the job is being ok with being seen as the bad guy to ensure quality and health and safety is being maintained. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the employees and putting in a good honest days work.
High production volume, fast and demanding work environment.
Industrial Mechanic / Millwright (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2017
Very fast production lines(bacon side), Almost no time for a proper repair during evening/night shifts. all repairs/PM's has tyo be done during production breaks/lunches, so no much time for a properly, safe way to do it. Very cold , noisy, and stressful work environment. Good work experience as have did work in different areas , and doing different assignments. Need to be ready to answer a call on radio practically all the time and on the first call despite you on a brake /lunch/washroom...especially during probation of 6 months...
Pros
Option to buy meat product for low cost. Good pay and overtime to top up the income
Cons
Forced overtime, need to supply your tools, cold/noisy/dirty work environment
No room to advance.
Equipment Robot Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 February 2017
A typical day at work consists of a daily meeting about production for the day and a health and safety chat as well. It's a long 9.5 hour day working in cold temperatures of 2-0 degree c. You must wear PPE including rubber boots and hardhat. Once production starts you work on your line or you are busy working on inspection. Management are respectable and are well trained. The group that you work with makes all the difference, working with nice people makes the day go by faster! I learned a lot about working in a food production facility. I worked my way up from palletizer to case erector, and know I work as a robot operator. Hardest part of the day is knowing I could be making more money for my time somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of the day is of course break time!
Pros
Health Beneifits.
Cons
Unpaid half hour lunch break.
excellent experience of Poultry food industry
Quality Assurance Technician (Co-op Student) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 November 2016
i have learned a lot, everybody is helping and supervisors are available for guidance all the time, in a short time i am totally mixed up in their environment and love to be with them, defiantly miss them after completion of co-op program.
it is an excellent experience to work with well known and huge poultry industry. thanks to Maple Leaf for providing me first Canadian experience.
Productive , hardworker and Flexible
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Weston, ON20 November 2016
A manufacturing of food products like ham, corn beef, bologna etc. Confident in dealing diverse people. Has an ability to solve the problem quickly. Always coordinated to the supervisor . Their management always reminding us about our safety. We always have a good team work to achieve a good production in daily schedule.
Pros
Break time
Cons
Offers exceptional Stability, yet mentally depressing
Case Erector/Crib Unloader/Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON25 October 2016
Great pay and benefits which results in an overall very secure feeling. You can easily support yourself and a spouse and perhaps a child with the standard pay.

The downside is.. it's a meat factory! There is ZERO fulfillment there after 2 years of working there. This does not light a fire inside me of passion and desire.
Mental suicide everyday.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, work incentives.
Cons
Very boring. No real sense of duty/fuffillment
Work area is cold, fun and productive
Production Service Lines (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 October 2016
Productive and fun workplace, people work fast in the conveyor.
Work area is cold because its food processing factory. Co-workers are hardworking but enjoying the job. Supervisors are strict but supportive and easy to approach.

Hardest part of the job if the machines are down, but have to continue working manually.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working with others to reach quota.
Not a very good workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Glover Road, Hannon, Hamilton9 October 2016
Very cold work place. A lot of downtime and standing in cold when machines are not running.No communication at all. Supervisors have no clue at all. Employee services is not good at all. The only best part was coworkers. Everybody get along and work together and have fun. Forced to work on every weekend. They do not care about employees personal life. No work life balance. No scope of advancement.
Pros
lunches on long weekend in summer.
Cons
Zero work life balance. Supervisors are clueless about anything. No respect for employees.
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
Fast paced environment. Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and meet the deadlines.
Excellent, knowledgeable co-workers.
Most difficult part of the job is trying to educate management on a role which they are not familiar.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the budget process and new technology.
Company is technology focused.
Cons
Not much appreciation for work if you are in a support role.
Professional Environment
Office Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2017
I had The opportunity to practice my Excel Skills updating all the delayed information from production in a daily basis.
Friendly and kind tutor from finance Department. General clerk duties.
Pros
Friendly Coaching
Cons
Not hiring after Co-op completed
Work on rebuilding old tractors
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia3 March 2017
Looking for work parts counter or maintenace supervisor, long hours, high responsibilty, .Safety courses, 6 sigma courses, payroll, inventory counts, project mangement,budget for plant
Pros
KEEP LEARNING AND UP GRADING TIME
Cons
NO MORE THAN 90 HOURS PER WEEK
No Momentum in this company
TALENT ACQUISITION LEAD - Information Solutions (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 December 2016
Maple Leaf is barely profitable and this is a convenient way to justify no bonuses and minimal salary increases. The management level is highly political and populated by some people who spend their days being charming and managing up!
Productive and Fun
General Labourer 2 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 March 2017
Team worked environment, fast paced environment.workplace culture and working with people having great personality and positive attitudes. The management is working hard for the workers to give them safety and security.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Fun place to work with all staff treating you with respect
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB8 December 2016
You are well trained and fully equiped for the assignment. Safety is of a paramount importance and the company takes great pain in teaching and training all staff on that.

Great place to work.
Pros
Free shoes, smocks and winter wear
Cons
Cold enviroment
Great people to work with
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ON12 November 2016
Terrible pay, but a steady income. There is no real training, you pretty much have to train yourself and get your fellow employees to help you. There is a lot of down time and standing around. That being said, most of the employees are very nice and approachable.
Pros
Over time incentives
Cons
Cold environment, lousy pay

67%