Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
good place to work
Smokehouse Operator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJuly 20, 2015
I worked at he former Schneider Foods plant in Kitchener. I worked with a strong team of individuals in the smokehouse. Management was supportive.
Good qualified and great leaders but very demanding
Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioJuly 10, 2015
Pros: free food samples
Cons: long hours
Depending on where you work, it can vary. People working at Corporate offices have good work-life balance and many perks.

Employees at the manufacturing plants not so much. Everyone is over worked and underpaid including salaried and hourly.
Over all culture is about executing at any cost with little or no recognition. Focus on development and training is low but they are trying to get better at it.
Great Company
People Coordinator/Receptionist/Human Resources (Current Employee), Hamitlon ontarioJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Corporation
Cons: Long days
Overall good experience, long days, start up work very hard. Learned new skills and worked along side a lot of great people.
Energetic, fast pace , fun environment to work
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), MississaugJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Get to tasted test products before they are launched..
Cons: Long hours at times
Maple Leaf Foods was a fun and friendly environment to worked, I was given the opportunity to learn and developed over the years as Administrator. The management gives you the opportunity to be authoritive of what you do with their approval . The colleagues were warm and friendly. It was hard at times to keep up with the ever changing task and keep up with deadlines. Overall, I enjoyed having being able to management my work from start to finish and being flexible of what you do.
Challenging environment with plenty of opportunity
Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 2, 2015
In my experiences, my current employer provides an exceptional workplace that offers plenty of room for advancement. Their commitment to their employees and customers is quite astounding and the company possesses a very strong sense of environmental awareness. Very strong measures are also placed on employee health and safety as well as food safety.
Avoid
Robot Operator (Current Employee), Hamilton, OnMay 29, 2015
Pros: Coworkers
Cons: Supervisors are clueless and mindless, spineless wimps.
I'd avoid working for this new Heritage plant as everything has gone down hill within the last few weeks. Supervisors Vs. Employees. Cold as heck on the floor now and constant bull from everyone. The coworkers are the only good point of this place.
Further Processing (Bacon)
Food Safety and Lab Supervisor (Former Employee), North Battleford, SKMay 27, 2015
Pros: The facility was established and had a smooth operation, with strong relations with the inspector.
Cons: The facility relied greatly on 'tribal knowledge', thereby impacting the department's technical direction.
The facility received pork bellies that were further processed into sliced, packaged bacon. This job entailed the implementation of the corporate QA programming ,verification of production records and management of nitrate levels in the brine and meat. I also worked as Sanitation Supervisor at the facility.
Productive and Good Environment
Line Operator (Former Employee), St. Marys, ONMay 25, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Co-workers, Fast Speed
Cons: Long hours, Concrete Floors, Cold
A typical day at work would be going in and punching in, and then putting the uniform on such as an apron, gloves, mesh gloves, and going to a line and cutting raw meat to specific weights everyday. Then get a 10 minute first break, a half hour lunch, and then another 10 minute break. I learned how to work well with people from all different kinds of cultures, and also how to work at a fast pace to make sure I was keeping up with the amounts of chicken to have cut by a certain time limit. I also learned how to work in a factory, because it is a different setting then most places. The co-workers were from different cultures and mainly spoke with different languages, but were very hard working and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job would have been standing on concrete all day, but I managed to get used to it. Most enjoyable part was meeting all the people I got to meet, and all the different techniques I got to learn.
A secure place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Hannon, ONMay 24, 2015
If you don't mind working in the cold, this is a good steady place to work. Its secure, and pays well. The staff is pretty upbeat, and the team leaders always have your back.
Great team members to work with
Scheduler (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 21, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with dedicated, hard working team members. It was great to see the transition towards a more progressive culture. Go Maple Leaf!
I Take initiative and exercise timely and good judgment in day to day business decisions
Senior production team leader (Current Employee), Hamilton, OntarioMay 16, 2015
Physically fit and able to multitask, quickly adjusting from one task to another. I have a great team working around me and when I go to work I go with passion

At times presence is required on the production floor for long periods of time and/or repetitively but this makes the most enjoyable part of the job
productive environment and leader in food safety
HACCP Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours
- Frequent communication between CFIA inspector and management teams
- MOPs, FSEP, HACCP
- Coworkers were friendly and hardworking people
Worst HR Team at Brandon Plant
Meat cutter (Current Employee), BrandonMay 10, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything. Worst HR. They should get fired all!!
Avoid working for these guys at all cost. You are just a number, no one cares about you whatsoever. If you are planning to relocate with their 'relocation allowance' please don't. It's a bad game they have to get money from the government not that they want to help you.
its a good job to start you off in life
labour (Current Employee), Brandon, MBMay 9, 2015
Pros: noting
Cons: not good starting wage
well the job and the people are good but like any job it has its ups and downs the pay is not bad we do have good benefits if they want to keep people the starting wage would be 17 but the turn over right is crazy now everyone is gitting out for better money
Exciting fast paced
Industrial Mechanic (Journeyman Millwright) (Current Employee), Brandon, MBMay 1, 2015
Maple Leaf Foods processes up to 18,000 hogs per day for customers worldwide. My job is to keep the equipment in top notch order to produce excellent products to our customers.
O.T was extreme. upper management would not support maintenance supervisor in disciplining maintenance staff
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Weston,ONApril 22, 2015
Pros: diverse equipment, mostly good employers
Cons: too much O.T.
O.T was to the extreme. When scheduled to work O.T. weekend, it usually meant 2 shifts on Saturdays and again 1 shift on Sunday which equaled a 30 hr weekend or more.
Union ran the plant. Upper management would not support maintenance supervisors in disciplining union steward who refused to perform his duties as instructed.
Effective caring place to work for. Very detailed to customer satisfaction of food products.
Packager/Loader Operator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 10, 2015
Cons: The company had to close down.
I learned the skills of safe food handlelling,and above all to make sure that the products going out to the customers are worthy of them eating.Management was caring yet firm in their dealings with employees.Coworkers were easy to work with, we all contributed in a team effort to ensure products met the standards required from us.The hardest part of the job was the temperature, it was a very cold setting to work in.The most enjoyable part of the job was the caring we all were like a family.
A slice of the Corporate Cake
Production Clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 8, 2015
Being the leading consumer packaged meats company in Canada, Maple Leaf Foods is one of the biggest and strongest food operation firms to work for as an employee. A typical hierarchal corporation, the time there teaches one the skill to climb up the corporate ladder if one strives hard enough. Tightly regulated, Maple Leaf is a specimen corporation run under parameters and guidelines. The management roles are highly evolved to accommodate to the growing competition teaching one flexibility and strategic advancement but also limiting the boundaries within which one can innovate and improve.
Productive workplace + 3000 birds daily
Line Worker (Former Employee), Thamesford, ONMarch 27, 2015
Pros: B-B-Q's in the summer, Time and a Half for over time hours paid daily
Cons: Cold atmosphere in some departments
I learned many skills pertaining to the many departments at Maple Leaf Consumer Foods. Handling of knives and proper sharpening Technics. Proper wearing of Personal Protective Equipment. Identifying Utility birds and Grade A for shipping. The importance of Cross Contamination from one department to another, and the effects it could have.
Great place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer packaged meats company, head quartered in Toronto, Ontario. It has great work culture. Very cooperative people to work with. Lot to learn.

1 2 3 4 5

About Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a major Canadian food processing company, founded in 1927 as a merger of several major Toronto meat packers.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Photos