Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

my opinion
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 29, 2016
The job is good for me, only because i have a little seniority to be able to stay on the shift i am currently on. I have learned everything that is able to be learned as a receiver which includes inventory, labeling, putting loads away, problem solving, as well as order picking, and loading trailers. Management is really good to deal with as long as you have a mature attitude. As all places of employment you have have to deal with a certain amount of immature people, but this can be avoided by simply focusing on your job and excelling at it. The hardest part is dealing with the immature employees & the most enjoyable part is.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
union, unpaid lunch
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2016
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
Needs better training time
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 24, 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.
good, team environment
Material handler (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 15, 2016
good work hours. i learnt lot of equipment operation such as power jack, hilift ,counter balance.
overall life was cool in there,
Productive and independent enviroment
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ONApril 14, 2016
Working at Maple Leaf had to have been the best job I ever had. I loved it there. The only thing that I could live without, was the cold. Once I became full time, and moved to a department where it was warmer and everything was a bit faster, I was fine. The pay was great, and everyone kept to them selves, but we all still worked as a team. We would all have our own spot on the line. When the line started up, everyone just did there job until brake. The hardest part about working at Maple Leaf would have to be eviscerating a bird on a moving line. The line doesn't stop for you, so you have to be quick. The best part about the job was it was quiet when listening to music on your headset. Very relaxing when your get the hang of what your doing. I learned how to properly salvage a bird and was shown the difference between good and bad product. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would in a heart beat.
Pros
Income, a lot of hours, long brakes
Cons
Cold and damp, smelly
Work life balance was a consideration
Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 14, 2016
Typical day was a 7 to 7:30 start, and ended around 3:45 to 4.
I enjoyed Maple Leaf foods. I was given the opportunity to take the lead on many projects.
Could be good......but isn't
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 10, 2016
Interesting machines but no training, thrown out in to the wild world of slicing and packaging with only your wits and tools ,your own tools may I add they say they provide tools but after a year all i got was a meter and a few screwdrivers.

Shifts change like the wind, you can plan anything around them.

Nobody stays any tradesman worth his salt has left or is looking for work. ridiculous turn around of workers even on production.

Workshop consists of 1 drill, a welder and 3 grinders. ooo sorry I forgot the old drill press with a makeshift vise.

Pension is low and I mean really low, you have to work here for 2 full calender years to get 2% matched.

No respect for our professional opinions and it takes forever to get simple materials for even the most urgent repairs.
Pros
Its always the same temperature, easy to get good seniority (everybody quits)
Cons
Too many to list (I did try in the review though)
productive and fast paced
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 8, 2016
great company to work for. good salary,good benefits,lots of overtime when required. and excellent management that actually listens to employees.
Pros
free employee lunches
Cons
smelly meat environment
DB Schenker
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONApril 4, 2016
Took care of the client and made sure their service levels were met. As a 3PL, they were under tight time lines and maintaining productivity.
Very good company
Meat Processor/Cutter (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBApril 1, 2016
Productive and good place for work with nice management and friendly co-workers. Team work enjoyable but every position is hard.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
very noisily
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
Great People
Production Scheduler/Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
Overall the company is looking into the future for the people whom want raise families with nutritional supplemental life style.
Pros
People
Cons
Fragmented Goal Setting
Good company
Senior Finance Analyst, Logistics (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 8, 2016
Great company and culture, work, life balance.
requirements to work at MLF: adaptability, able to deal with strict deadlines and high volume
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Day always started smooth, always learned how to use the tools needed for the various jobs. Management was always on the watch of all the workers, everyone got along, that hardest part was always passing the threshold of those first few hours of work.
the most enjoyable part was working with great people everyday
Pros
Healthy Lunches
Cons
Stinky
Fun place to work
Order Picker/Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 9, 2016
Received a forklift licence, training before i hit the floor and training while i was on the floor. i was well prepared for my tasks ahead of me
challenging and rewarding
Labourer/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 5, 2016
enjoyed the every day of new challenges Never the same day at this kind of business We were allowed to make a lot of quick judgement calls on our own to make sure of good quality and safe products
there will always be something to look forward to each day
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 2, 2016
My co-workers are very helpful and they make me forget that our job is not really that easy. Though our job is quite tiring, we've managed to balance our personal and work life.
Pros
more overtimes with free meals
Entertainments. Tv.
Maintenance Mechanic and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2016
very good.
cought fire at baking oven. it too
k one day to restore the whole system.
trade certificate and business planning and control.
CMMS and CPMS.
GOING A HEAD TOWARD SAP.
nice team workers.
plant close shortage of work./resession.
move to other site
Pros
FREE BREAD FREE COFFEE.
Cons
LONG HRS EXTRA WORK.
Great Company
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 26, 2016
I worked with a great team that I could rely on to back me up. Knowledgeable staff made it easier to bounce ideas off of and work problems out together.
Pros
Food Sample Testing
Cons
Workload
good place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Learned a lot of different jobs.friendly people. Bad management.Boring repetitive Jobs, cold environment. Good pay but you have to work hard.