Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

High production volume, fast and demanding work environment.
Industrial Mechanic / Millwright (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2017
Very fast production lines(bacon side), Almost no time for a proper repair during evening/night shifts. all repairs/PM's has tyo be done during production breaks/lunches, so no much time for a properly, safe way to do it. Very cold , noisy, and stressful work environment. Good work experience as have did work in different areas , and doing different assignments. Need to be ready to answer a call on radio practically all the time and on the first call despite you on a brake /lunch/washroom...especially during probation of 6 months...
Pros
Option to buy meat product for low cost. Good pay and overtime to top up the income
Cons
Forced overtime, need to supply your tools, cold/noisy/dirty work environment
Great managment team and employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON16 January 2017
Plenty of hours in a good working environment. Management team is very helpful and transparent. Sadly, Maple Leaf has announced the closing of the plant that I currently work at. The hardest part of the job is being ok with being seen as the bad guy to ensure quality and health and safety is being maintained. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the employees and putting in a good honest days work.
excellent experience of Poultry food industry
Quality Assurance Technician (Co-op Student) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 November 2016
i have learned a lot, everybody is helping and supervisors are available for guidance all the time, in a short time i am totally mixed up in their environment and love to be with them, defiantly miss them after completion of co-op program.
it is an excellent experience to work with well known and huge poultry industry. thanks to Maple Leaf for providing me first Canadian experience.
Offers exceptional Stability, yet mentally depressing
Case Erector/Crib Unloader/Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON25 October 2016
Great pay and benefits which results in an overall very secure feeling. You can easily support yourself and a spouse and perhaps a child with the standard pay.

The downside is.. it's a meat factory! There is ZERO fulfillment there after 2 years of working there. This does not light a fire inside me of passion and desire.
Mental suicide everyday.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, work incentives.
Cons
Very boring. No real sense of duty/fuffillment
Work area is cold, fun and productive
Production Service Lines (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 October 2016
Productive and fun workplace, people work fast in the conveyor.
Work area is cold because its food processing factory. Co-workers are hardworking but enjoying the job. Supervisors are strict but supportive and easy to approach.

Hardest part of the job if the machines are down, but have to continue working manually.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working with others to reach quota.
Not a very good workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Glover Road, Hannon, Hamilton9 October 2016
Very cold work place. A lot of downtime and standing in cold when machines are not running.No communication at all. Supervisors have no clue at all. Employee services is not good at all. The only best part was coworkers. Everybody get along and work together and have fun. Forced to work on every weekend. They do not care about employees personal life. No work life balance. No scope of advancement.
Pros
lunches on long weekend in summer.
Cons
Zero work life balance. Supervisors are clueless about anything. No respect for employees.
Productive , hardworker and Flexible
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Weston, ON20 November 2016
A manufacturing of food products like ham, corn beef, bologna etc. Confident in dealing diverse people. Has an ability to solve the problem quickly. Always coordinated to the supervisor . Their management always reminding us about our safety. We always have a good team work to achieve a good production in daily schedule.
Pros
Break time
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
Fast paced environment. Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and meet the deadlines.
Excellent, knowledgeable co-workers.
Most difficult part of the job is trying to educate management on a role which they are not familiar.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the budget process and new technology.
Company is technology focused.
Cons
Not much appreciation for work if you are in a support role.
Great people to work with
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ON12 November 2016
Terrible pay, but a steady income. There is no real training, you pretty much have to train yourself and get your fellow employees to help you. There is a lot of down time and standing around. That being said, most of the employees are very nice and approachable.
Pros
Over time incentives
Cons
Cold environment, lousy pay
Very productive workplace and employees were very loyal and had alot of employee who had 40 to 50 years of service. That alone makes a statement.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 August 2016
Hours - Very Typical

Learned how to work under stress.

Management followed corporate policy.

Everyone had an overwhelming amount of work load.

Co-workers were great and always had time for you.

Hardest part of the job - I was a contractor and not an employee and never got paid on time.

Enjoyable Part - I learned a whole lot about the food industry and their tax issues that has added a whole new level to what I can do.
Pros
Free Food, alot of employee events.
Cons
Management was very distant at times.
Production line operator
PRODUCTION LINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 September 2016
Get gear on one black jacket one long white lab coat rain boots hair net plastic gloves hard hat goggles and ear plugs what I have learned is that how meat is truly processed management is very busy all the time hardest part of the job is the lifting the most enjoyable part of the job the extra hours
Pros
BIG LUNCH ROOM
Cons
VERY COLD IN PLANT
Fun place to work with all staff treating you with respect
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB8 December 2016
You are well trained and fully equiped for the assignment. Safety is of a paramount importance and the company takes great pain in teaching and training all staff on that.

Great place to work.
Pros
Free shoes, smocks and winter wear
Cons
Cold enviroment
No Momentum in this company
TALENT ACQUISITION LEAD - Information Solutions (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 December 2016
Maple Leaf is barely profitable and this is a convenient way to justify no bonuses and minimal salary increases. The management level is highly political and populated by some people who spend their days being charming and managing up!
Not for long term
Full Time Materials handler/ Shipper/ receiver (Former Employee) –  44 glover hannon ontario24 August 2016
minimal concern for the well being of product and employees
lack of communication with the employees
union is terrible
they never learn to make things better they continue to do the same mistakes which makes it a very bad place to work.
Pros
there is a shuttle that takes tyou to the front door from upper ottawa.
Cons
long hours, Cold, Temperory employees, unorganized, unclean
Good environment
Order Processing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 October 2016
My job is billing, invoicing, printing pick sheets. I learned a lot and develop my skills. co-workers are very helpful and work as a team, Transparent open communication. enjoyable part of the job is balance between work and personal life.
Pros
Gift cards, Meal
Cons
cold inside warehouse
Decent Place to Work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 December 2016
It is brutally cold, fast past environment, had to lift very heavy items of the entire day, the gloves that are given do little ton nothing to protect your hands from the coldness. Lots of down time makes it easy to warm up and take a break
Pros
Pay
Cons
Cold, Long Hours, Forced Overtime
Challenging and fun workplace environment
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2016
Able to do my best in performing my job even though it is not related to my previous work. I learned a lot specially in dealing with past faced environment, standing for a long period of time and having a short break time. Exciting and a really much fun of learning.
Pros
Free lunch during friday
Cons
minimal break
Great place to work, family culture
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2017
Great place to work, employees are fantastic, family culture, high speed production lines with a lot of manual labour, cold environment, most areas of the plant are kept under 10deg
Pros
rewards for job performance
Cons
cold
they just want the work done regardless of employees health
General labor (Former Employee) –  toronto,ont18 September 2016
i did not enjoy my years of working there maple leaf foods only cares about getting the work done regardless of anyone's health i guess that is why they pay well
Pros
pays well
Cons
they just want the work done they really don't consider the employees health
Fun workplace
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  lethbridge, AB27 July 2016
Everyday from work is always busy. I learned how to take care not only my job but also my co-workers. I don't like some management because some of them they don't fix the problem or it would take a months, year or never. Some of my co-worker are good worker but some of them are lazy I hate lazy people. for me the hardest part of the job even your trying your best in work the supervisors don't see that because they don't know what's real happening on the site cause they are not always there to look what's happening. Most enjoyable part of my job is to have co-worker at the same time friends and some of them we had a team work but it doesn't matter to me if there is a team cause I could work alone or as a team.
Pros
sometimes there's free lunch and has games..
Cons
only 8 hours Monday to Friday and they are giving overtime if you want too, or sometimes there is mandatory overtime.

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location