Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

No room to advance.
Equipment Robot Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 February 2017
A typical day at work consists of a daily meeting about production for the day and a health and safety chat as well. It's a long 9.5 hour day working in cold temperatures of 2-0 degree c. You must wear PPE including rubber boots and hardhat. Once production starts you work on your line or you are busy working on inspection. Management are respectable and are well trained. The group that you work with makes all the difference, working with nice people makes the day go by faster! I learned a lot about working in a food production facility. I worked my way up from palletizer to case erector, and know I work as a robot operator. Hardest part of the day is knowing I could be making more money for my time somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of the day is of course break time!
Pros
Health Beneifits.
Cons
Unpaid half hour lunch break.
rewarding
Six Sigma Black Belt (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2017
great values with people who are really all about food.
The company has turn around and are building a more focus place that will grow and bring new opportunities in future
Decent place to work
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2017
If you're going to apply , do it through a temp, you can pick your shifts and are never forced on weekends or for overtime unless you sign up for it . Pay is a little over minimum wage , which is decent to support a single person... pretty flexible with break times , most management and tLs are approachable and helpful. Very cold , machines go down often and when there's nothing to do it sure does get cold just standing there !
Pros
Bus shuttle, flexible breaks, coworkers
Cons
Cold
Professional Environment
Office Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2017
I had The opportunity to practice my Excel Skills updating all the delayed information from production in a daily basis.
Friendly and kind tutor from finance Department. General clerk duties.
Pros
Friendly Coaching
Cons
Not hiring after Co-op completed
Wonderful Company
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON1 February 2017
Enjoyed working there, but they decided to close the Thamesford Plant forcing us to look for new employment.

Hardest part is hours go up and down and is very unpredictable.

Wish the company considered interpreters for Deaf workers.
Amazing team and management
Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 January 2017
I met some of the best people I have ever worked with. I had two managers at separate times and both were incredible and constantly teaching me more about the company. My director was one of the most amazing women I have ever met; she taught me so much about the food and meat industry and was always beyond supportive of my goals within the company and outside. Maple Leaf is a fantastic place to work, if it wasn't for being a contract employee I would not have left!
Lots of Hours
Materials (Current Employee) –  Hamilton26 January 2017
The place is disorganized! Management is in constant rotation. The promoted staff power trips and people have very little direction.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Many
productive and fun place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB24 January 2017
good money grate work condition it is a good place to start good bosses and good team work long shift and lots of overtime it is a good experience in a fun place to work
Pros
good money
Fun place to work
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Thamesford20 January 2017
Maple leaf foods is a fun place to work. I learned alot about turkeys, such as how to humanly kill and process birds. I learned how to do a variety of different jobs.
excellent work inviroment
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 January 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Maple Leaf Foods learned lots and made life long friends. Had a chance to travel to different locations to work with various areas of the business.
Great managment team and employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON16 January 2017
Plenty of hours in a good working environment. Management team is very helpful and transparent. Sadly, Maple Leaf has announced the closing of the plant that I currently work at. The hardest part of the job is being ok with being seen as the bad guy to ensure quality and health and safety is being maintained. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the employees and putting in a good honest days work.
High production volume, fast and demanding work environment.
Industrial Mechanic / Millwright (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2017
Very fast production lines(bacon side), Almost no time for a proper repair during evening/night shifts. all repairs/PM's has tyo be done during production breaks/lunches, so no much time for a properly, safe way to do it. Very cold , noisy, and stressful work environment. Good work experience as have did work in different areas , and doing different assignments. Need to be ready to answer a call on radio practically all the time and on the first call despite you on a brake /lunch/washroom...especially during probation of 6 months...
Pros
Option to buy meat product for low cost. Good pay and overtime to top up the income
Cons
Forced overtime, need to supply your tools, cold/noisy/dirty work environment
Great place to work, family culture
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2017
Great place to work, employees are fantastic, family culture, high speed production lines with a lot of manual labour, cold environment, most areas of the plant are kept under 10deg
Pros
rewards for job performance
Cons
cold
Summary
Food Assembler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
Participate as part of a team in the processing of hogs to produce fresh and frozen product
Keep up to production line speed
Adhere to all hygienic and food safety requirements in the plant
fast paced eniroment
Packaging Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON1 January 2017
i enjoyed the fast paced enviroment and time deadlines. very friendly co-workers and opurtunities to move up within the company.
Work life balance
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 December 2016
People are nice and willing to help when they have an opportunity. No time to train anyone which is difficult. You have the option to work from home if need be.
No Momentum in this company
TALENT ACQUISITION LEAD - Information Solutions (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 December 2016
Maple Leaf is barely profitable and this is a convenient way to justify no bonuses and minimal salary increases. The management level is highly political and populated by some people who spend their days being charming and managing up!
Decent Place to Work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 December 2016
It is brutally cold, fast past environment, had to lift very heavy items of the entire day, the gloves that are given do little ton nothing to protect your hands from the coldness. Lots of down time makes it easy to warm up and take a break
Pros
Pay
Cons
Cold, Long Hours, Forced Overtime
Fun place to work with all staff treating you with respect
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB8 December 2016
You are well trained and fully equiped for the assignment. Safety is of a paramount importance and the company takes great pain in teaching and training all staff on that.

Great place to work.
Pros
Free shoes, smocks and winter wear
Cons
Cold enviroment
void
Administration/dispatching clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON8 December 2016
Daily jobs where all over the place never knew what I was walking into. The factory was shutting down and didn't know what the day to day

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Reviews by Location