Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great Company!
ANALYST (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 4, 2016
Great company culture with great leaders. My role was heavily team based and everyone was smart and great to work with. The company's values are not just letters on the wall, everyone authentically lives and works by them daily.
Unless you are desperate for a job stay away
Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2016
Pros: Pay scale is industry
Cons: No work life balance, long unrewarded hours, high turn over
Corporate offices:
Worked in various departments Finance & IT over 15 years.
WAS a great place to work. Now a culture of oppression and lies.
No work life balance. Ask anyone in IT. Company wants you on call 24/7 and publishes your home number. Extremely high turnover especially in Finance. Ask how long your department manager has been there. Chances are under 2 years. Month end / year end you are expected to work non stop. Weekends / holidays do not exists. They keep cutting the period close deadlines shorter and shorter. They will promise you everything and deliver nothing. Their reward package "RFE" is now a complete joke. Rewards based on their value judgements and not your performance. A valued employe at Maple Leaf does not work hard, they just spend hundreds of hours there. It is all about being visible at work.

The company manages by intimidation. The culture of "you can easily be replaced" is rampant.

Look around the place. Do you see anyone smiling? Do you see anyone with grey hair? There is air of sadness all the time.
Very busy place most be a multi tasker
Customer Service Operation VMI Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: Great team to work for
Cons: Needs better training time
This place is a fast pace. there are a lot of different things that needs to be done in half the day. Daily reporting done before 9am. VMI ordering done before 1pm. (had 3 big accounts)

final details, returns debits - special reports for features. Cleaning the APO for demand planning for the next few weeks.

Learned new system. (SAP-APO) strong in the excel system. Co-workers are amazing. Fun place to be when you have some down time.

This can be very stressful if you cannot manage your time correctly. You get to know it after awhile what can be done or not.
The worst place I have ever worked for
Production Worker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 24, 2016
I was a fast and hardworking person and my co-workers were happy working with me but I got laid off just three months after I started my job there.
They take advantage of you when it's busy and throw you out when it gets slow, no matter how hard you work for them. In most cases people get laid off in three or six months; right before they are eligible for benefits.That is why Maple Leaf is always hiring. They simply do not want to pay for insurance and benefits. Beside, the work environment is freezing! Specially when the machines break down and you have to wait so long for them to be fixed. Plus, the work is very hard and heavy. It doesn't worth the wage they pay you at any cost. The only reason I continued working for them was because I was in a very difficult situation and had no choice at all. I strongly suggest to everybody to NOT work for them under any circumstances. Find a job in a place that appropriates your skills and talents or at least provides you a secure opportunity.
good, team environment
Material handler (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKApril 15, 2016
good work hours. i learnt lot of equipment operation such as power jack, hilift ,counter balance.
overall life was cool in there,
Productive and independent enviroment
Line Operator (Former Employee), St. Marys, ONApril 14, 2016
Pros: Income, a lot of hours, long brakes
Cons: Cold and damp, smelly
Working at Maple Leaf had to have been the best job I ever had. I loved it there. The only thing that I could live without, was the cold. Once I became full time, and moved to a department where it was warmer and everything was a bit faster, I was fine. The pay was great, and everyone kept to them selves, but we all still worked as a team. We would all have our own spot on the line. When the line started up, everyone just did there job until brake. The hardest part about working at Maple Leaf would have to be eviscerating a bird on a moving line. The line doesn't stop for you, so you have to be quick. The best part about the job was it was quiet when listening to music on your headset. Very relaxing when your get the hang of what your doing. I learned how to properly salvage a bird and was shown the difference between good and bad product. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would in a heart beat.
Work life balance was a consideration
Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 14, 2016
Typical day was a 7 to 7:30 start, and ended around 3:45 to 4.
I enjoyed Maple Leaf foods. I was given the opportunity to take the lead on many projects.
Could be good......but isn't
Electrician (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 10, 2016
Pros: Its always the same temperature, easy to get good seniority (everybody quits)
Cons: Too many to list (I did try in the review though)
Interesting machines but no training, thrown out in to the wild world of slicing and packaging with only your wits and tools ,your own tools may I add they say they provide tools but after a year all i got was a meter and a few screwdrivers.

Shifts change like the wind, you can plan anything around them.

Nobody stays any tradesman worth his salt has left or is looking for work. ridiculous turn around of workers even on production.

Workshop consists of 1 drill, a welder and 3 grinders. ooo sorry I forgot the old drill press with a makeshift vise.

Pension is low and I mean really low, you have to work here for 2 full calender years to get 2% matched.

No respect for our professional opinions and it takes forever to get simple materials for even the most urgent repairs.
productive and fast paced
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 8, 2016
Pros: free employee lunches
Cons: smelly meat environment
great company to work for. good salary,good benefits,lots of overtime when required. and excellent management that actually listens to employees.
DB Schenker
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 4, 2016
Took care of the client and made sure their service levels were met. As a 3PL, they were under tight time lines and maintaining productivity.
Very good company
Meat Processor/Cutter (Former Employee), Brandon, MBApril 1, 2016
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: very noisily
Productive and good place for work with nice management and friendly co-workers. Team work enjoyable but every position is hard.
Poor Managements
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Maple Leaf Foods was a great place to work at. They made your job feel important and noticed good work. Maple Leaf had gone through some management changes where they laid off a very large portion of the upper management. This created a struggle for those left. The environment has gone from a winning point of view to being in the trenches. The negative energy has wide spread and is only getting worse.
Great People
Production Scheduler/Planner (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
Pros: People
Cons: Fragmented Goal Setting
Overall the company is looking into the future for the people whom want raise families with nutritional supplemental life style.
Good company
Senior Finance Analyst, Logistics (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 8, 2016
Great company and culture, work, life balance.
requirements to work at MLF: adaptability, able to deal with strict deadlines and high volume
General Labourer (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Healthy Lunches
Cons: Stinky
Day always started smooth, always learned how to use the tools needed for the various jobs. Management was always on the watch of all the workers, everyone got along, that hardest part was always passing the threshold of those first few hours of work.
the most enjoyable part was working with great people everyday
Fun place to work
Order Picker/Sanitation (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 9, 2016
Received a forklift licence, training before i hit the floor and training while i was on the floor. i was well prepared for my tasks ahead of me
challenging and rewarding
Labourer/Machine Operator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 5, 2016
enjoyed the every day of new challenges Never the same day at this kind of business We were allowed to make a lot of quick judgement calls on our own to make sure of good quality and safe products
there will always be something to look forward to each day
General Laborer (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: more overtimes with free meals
My co-workers are very helpful and they make me forget that our job is not really that easy. Though our job is quite tiring, we've managed to balance our personal and work life.
Entertainments. Tv.
Maintenance Mechanic and Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Pros: FREE BREAD FREE COFFEE.
Cons: LONG HRS EXTRA WORK.
very good.
cought fire at baking oven. it too
k one day to restore the whole system.
trade certificate and business planning and control.
CMMS and CPMS.
GOING A HEAD TOWARD SAP.
nice team workers.
plant close shortage of work./resession.
move to other site
Great Company
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: Food Sample Testing
Cons: Workload
I worked with a great team that I could rely on to back me up. Knowledgeable staff made it easier to bounce ideas off of and work problems out together.