Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Very bad experience - E & E Valuation Project
Senior Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  500 King Street North, WaterlooFebruary 13, 2014
I worked at 500 King, Waterloo for 2 months as a Business Analyst, it was the worst experience in my 25 years career. I have a banking and technology background. The AVP hired me knowingly that I did not have any insurance experience. But from the very outset my PM disliked me and every time I asked her questions she told me why don't you think, I found her very condescending. I complained to the person who hired me but he did not do anything. So I decided to terminate my contract, at this time the AVP terminated my contract on the same day, I was working from home that day, he did not want me to come back to their building. I had to bring their laptop to my agent and pick up my personal belongings from my agent. This made me feel like a criminal. I find the way I was treated by the PM and AVP very inhuman. I don't recommend anyone to work for E & E Valuation Project at Manulife.
Not Exactly Temp-Friendly
Temporary (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 11, 2014
Worked as a temp a while back during a project of theirs. Very disorganized and unplanned. Project manager did not think before making decisions, which caused more problems for the project. When asked if I wanted to do another project with them, I said I had other assignments which was a lie. Told my agency never to send me there again.

Corporate structure is very old-school financial institution, still using a lot of paper documentation and having a style of management the employees must not deviate from.

It was not all bad. People in general were nice and they had a well-staffed cafeteria.
Pros
clean building, great cafeteria, location on the transit line, nice people
Cons
rigid corporate command structure, lots of paper documentation, disorganized leadership
Great training, pleasant staff, interesting job
Assistant to Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 20, 2013
I work part-time (as required), but the work is interesting. A typical day is spent returning phone calls, answering emails, working on regulated and required paperwork for the advisor, maintaining his data base of client information and accounts. The hardest part of this job is learning all the computer applications used in the industry - they are challenging and interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ongoing discussions of the financial market.
Pros
great training, wonderful people to learn from, interesting work
Cons
limited room for advancement or increased work hours due to part-time position
Lots of opportunities to learn new skills
Group Admin./Reception/Mailroom (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJune 28, 2015
I was employed for 14 years with Manulife Financial. My reason for leaving was there were a lot of changes and downsizing at the time.

I truly enjoyed my work experience with this company. I obtained a lot of new skills and had great colleagues / co-workers to work with along the way.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Had to leave because of downsizing
Loved and enjoyed working for Manulife Financial
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  500 King Street North, WaterlooJuly 6, 2015
Manulife is a agreat company to work for and be working in for 8 hours a day. The Management team and staff are great and the workflow is doable.
Horrible place to work if your looking for a warm atmosphere with chance of advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  WaterlooApril 24, 2013
I didn't have the same kind of experience some of the reviews listed have. I found there was very little support from management in regards to questions or concerns. In fact they spent more time talking down to myself and several colleagues then helping us succeed for them. Now we were all contracted, and reminded of which quite often, also reminded how they don't hire contracted people... Perhaps this is why we were treated differently. I found most of the staff very helpful, but we were not allowed to seek their support and would infact get in trouble for asking for it. Definitely could just use more support, and be more warm and empathetic to their staff... Would be sufficient changes to make it a much better contracted placement...
Pros
pay rate, break schedules, free lunches, amazing training
Cons
no support, not a warm atmosphere from management or staff, not enough time to complete callbacks for members.
To Obtain a Customer Service position in which I can use my strengths and experience to reach the company’s goals and continuing success
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 22, 2014
Manulife Financial also known as The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, are a major Canadian insurance company and financial services provider. Although its global head office is located in Toronto, Ontario, with its Canadian operations based out of Waterloo, Ontario, Manulife has worldwide operations, most notably in the United States (through its subsidiary, John Hancock Insurance) and in 19 unique Asian countries and territories.

· Collected and Processed Client’s Premium Payment
· Organized and Achieved Clients’ financial records
· Correspond to clients through written letters
Pros
flexible hours to work
Cons
location is not too good
productive and fun workplace
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 19, 2014
The workplace culture and the management team are very good. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. I wish I had more training on the job I applied for. The work volume fluctuates on a daily basis. There is no cafeteria in the office. Overall, it has been a pleasant experience.
Pros
work envvironment
Cons
lack of training provided
Good for telecommuting
Business Systems Analyst / QA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2013
Develop testing strategies. Performed Competitive Analysis. Learned Competitors' Life Insurance products. Management allowed me to be self managed, so little interaction. Co-workers relied heavily on my results. Many co-workers received great accolades and rewards with my help. Hardest part and most enjoyable part of the job was finding solutions for competitor analysis
Pros
telecommuting
Was pretty good and people are great
Long Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 29, 2015
This was a challenging work place but overall pretty supportive place to work. The people are great and the job is a challenging but also can be rewarding one.
productive, professional and fitness place at work.
Quality Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Learnt and developed lots of skills such as team player, leadership, service oriented and many more.
Pros
rewards and gifts
Good Place to work
Insurance (Current Employee) –  TorontoJuly 15, 2014
Great experience and movement potential. I started out as a student and moved to various other roles throughout my career. Good pay and good work life balance.
Lots of documentation to update, very long and old processes, Nice people.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONOctober 4, 2013
Organization design the last year has been hard on every team of the company since moving and shifting creates anxiety in a production level making that the enviroment a little tense, but the people here at your same level is fine, I guess every one is living and paddle in the same boat.

The hardest part for the job is actually all those moves making documentaiton incomplete, outdated processes and not reliable.

As BA, that is a hard task but also in the same time is a great opportunity to test your strategy and build your experience, and help your users to have a better application and a easy way to do their job.

The most enjoyable is the fact that you can work from home make that flexible to compensate work and personal life.
Pros
working from home
Cons
continue organization design
Good Place to Work
Senior Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Really enjoy working here. People are very friendly and great work/life balance. The company feels more like a family rather than a big financial institution.
Hectic environment
Senior Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 19, 2015
Lack of mature leadership, allowing long time contractors to manage and lead very experienced senior analysts and developers.
Pros
allowing employees to work from home.
Unique role with interesting learning opportunities
Analyst (Asset Liability Management, Strategy) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2014
- Helped to faciliate the ALM teams strategy goals
- Managed an Excel model for investment demand
- Management was very helpful and provided great advice
- Co-workers were friendly
- Hardest part: first time working in the insurance industry, lots of new terminology and concepts
- Most enjoyable part: was given a lot of reponsibility with one major project
Quiet and productive office environment
Property Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 12, 2013
An office filled with hard-working, confident, and focused individuals - the perfect place to keep your mind on track. Fun personalities who are more than welcoming to everyone. Not once have I experienced a negative vibe in this office. Management is very understanding and approachable.
Pros
great employee moral, incentive activities, volunteer and team building events
Work/Life Balance is awesome!
ASSOCIATE PRODUCT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 2, 2015
Great place to work for. Co-workers are friendly and warm. There are a lot of changes going on so it is very exciting. Cultural environment is very diverse.
Productive Workplace and Fun Activities
Mailroom Sorter (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 18, 2013
Open and preparre the mail to be sent to the various locations for the adjudicators to process. A very fast paced environment, however the days flew by.
Great co-workers. The hardest part of the job was that we were so busy there was not a lot of time to interact with co-workers during the day but when we had time, it was great. Great team work.

The best part of the job was having plenty of work to keep busy and the hours. Everyone helped each other.
Pros
social committee which planned events, free pizza, bbq lunches, games to coincide with the activity
Cons
the office location, for me personally
Great place to work and grow.
Agency Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Busy work environment with lots to learn and progress within the company. Great team environment and wonderful management.
Pros
great place to balance work/life.