Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Great benefit and offer advance job opportunities.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 April 2013
Very busy and full of challenge. Great diversity of people and very fun to work with. Provided continuous staff training. Had annual picnic and Christmas dance.

Learnt to deal with the public via phone and personnel contact. Learnt to multitask with answering calls, writing letter and providing the right information to the clients.

Learning a variety of products was challenging and being able to resolve problems for the customer was most satisfying.
Weekly brunch ordered by our project manager
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2013
I would be assigned multiple projects by my project manager through a ticketing system once the request for change was initiated by a person. Once the project was assigned to me, I would go to SMEs and gather requirements and ask them questions about the details of new business process. Mostly, I would go to interview clients with senior business Analyst. I learned alot from her as she taught me tips and trick on how to become a subject matter expert yourself once you discuss requirements with clients.
Pros
Location - Downtown, 10 am start
Cons
Salary
Very professional and exciting work environment
Training Delivery Specialist (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2013
I've been working for Manulife for a few months now and it has taught me a lot about the Mutual Fund Industry. There is a very professional environment while providing opportunity to learn. My work days are fairly long and sometimes not enought time to get through the work. As an overall opinion Manulife has been an interesting experience and really impacted my professional life.
new office with all the amenities to make working comfortable
Evening Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo Ontario14 February 2012
new office - on bus route - great amenities (cafeteria, area to heat up food, cooked food etc), facilities were new and modern, cubicles were ergonomic for your working comfort
great bunch of people, had a great respect for their employees
good pay and benefits
just a great place to work
Pros
ergonomic working environment, great benefits great people to work with
Cons
nothing i can think of
Good for telecommuting
Business Systems Analyst / QA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2013
Develop testing strategies. Performed Competitive Analysis. Learned Competitors' Life Insurance products. Management allowed me to be self managed, so little interaction. Co-workers relied heavily on my results. Many co-workers received great accolades and rewards with my help. Hardest part and most enjoyable part of the job was finding solutions for competitor analysis
Pros
Telecommuting
Unique role with interesting learning opportunities
Analyst (Asset Liability Management, Strategy) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2014
- Helped to faciliate the ALM teams strategy goals
- Managed an Excel model for investment demand
- Management was very helpful and provided great advice
- Co-workers were friendly
- Hardest part: first time working in the insurance industry, lots of new terminology and concepts
- Most enjoyable part: was given a lot of reponsibility with one major project
great management that focuses on bettering thier employees
Disability Claims Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto ontario2 March 2014
for the two years that with worked with Manulife, I was supported in my career as well as my educational aspirations. They provided me with ample coaching to perform the job I was hired to do and was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had working
Pros
Great management, good people and strong focus on work life balance
Cons
seniority structure for promotions.
Quiet and productive office environment
Property Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2013
An office filled with hard-working, confident, and focused individuals - the perfect place to keep your mind on track. Fun personalities who are more than welcoming to everyone. Not once have I experienced a negative vibe in this office. Management is very understanding and approachable.
Pros
Great employee moral, incentive activities, volunteer and team building events
Not Exactly Temp-Friendly
Temporary (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario11 February 2014
Worked as a temp a while back during a project of theirs. Very disorganized and unplanned. Project manager did not think before making decisions, which caused more problems for the project. When asked if I wanted to do another project with them, I said I had other assignments which was a lie. Told my agency never to send me there again.

Corporate structure is very old-school financial institution, still using a lot of paper documentation and having a style of management the employees must not deviate from.

It was not all bad. People in general were nice and they had a well-staffed cafeteria.
Pros
Clean building, great cafeteria, location on the transit line, nice people
Cons
Rigid corporate command structure, lots of paper documentation, disorganized leadership
Productive place to work, fun and enjoyable with the right challenges and rewards
New Business Associate- ILC New Business (Former Employee) –  25 Water Street, Kitchener4 June 2013
Came to work organized and ready to work. I prepared myself for my daily tasks and ensured all work was completed on time and in a proficient manner. There was a daily task to issue upwards of 30 life insurance policies daily and would strive to achieve, always going above and beyond the daily requirements.
Was involvement in training development amongst our team, held regular meetings with staff to work out problem issues they faced, find solutions and have them organized and synchronized with the rest of the team. Was highly challenging but rewarding.
Pros
Excellent team, personal environment and team manager always a pleasure
Cons
no real cons perhaps only with salary
past work
Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario10 September 2012
In my past job I learned how to communicate better and several tasks required from me. I became very orgaized and learned how to priotize my work so it was completed in a timely manner. I really enjoyed my job, everyday I was excited to go in and there was always lots to keep me busy all day which I like working in a fast paced environment.
Pros
pleasant people to work with
Cons
limited in explanding my knowledge
Toronto Head office for US Divison
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto ON26 January 2014
process work pulling from the queue, emails, inquiries

interacted well with all levels of employees

learned all I know about processing claims, including handling rival claims without formal training

liased with our Investigative Services, and seeing how some cases unfolded

hardest part of the job is not being recognized for the full workload of the desk
good career experience
Advisor, Insurance Team (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2012
policy review
call quality
meeting with management on sales and any claims issues
staff was energetic and knowledgable
overall dynamic culture in the workplace
monday to friday schedule
most enjoyable part of my job was seeing increased in sales figures (compared to previous years) and a reduction in claims payouts
Pros
good bonus payouts
Cons
career development
productive and fun workplace
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2014
The workplace culture and the management team are very good. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. I wish I had more training on the job I applied for. The work volume fluctuates on a daily basis. There is no cafeteria in the office. Overall, it has been a pleasant experience.
Pros
work envvironment
Cons
lack of training provided
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto/Waterloo16 June 2015
- lots of room for growth
- positive culture
- supportive of on-going education
- world wide opportunities
- unlimited learning opportunities
-great networking opportunities
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
lots of reorganizations that lead to job change/loss
Lots of documentation to update, very long and old processes, Nice people.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON4 October 2013
Organization design the last year has been hard on every team of the company since moving and shifting creates anxiety in a production level making that the enviroment a little tense, but the people here at your same level is fine, I guess every one is living and paddle in the same boat.

The hardest part for the job is actually all those moves making documentaiton incomplete, outdated processes and not reliable.

As BA, that is a hard task but also in the same time is a great opportunity to test your strategy and build your experience, and help your users to have a better application and a easy way to do their job.

The most enjoyable is the fact that you can work from home make that flexible to compensate work and personal life.
Pros
working from home
Cons
Continue Organization design
Great salary and benefits
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 April 2014
I was there through an agency on a temporary contract in a department that was becoming obsolete and therefore I knew well in advance that it was only a temporary, contract position. The job was very repetitive, sitting all day in front of a computer, however, it was a nice work environment and I was paid well, treated well.
High energy company with high but reasonable expectations
IS Infrastructure Integrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 May 2013
Manulife is a great company that has a very high energy environment that is very progressive. I would definitely work with Manulife again as the environment provides challenges that are reasonable within tight timelines that pushes you to be the best employee that you can be.
depending on the department: flexible hours
Claims analyst (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC16 June 2015
I loved working for this company. The hours were flexible and the salary was very competitive. I learned a lot about group benefits. They provide excellent training.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
too far from my home
productive, professional and fitness place at work.
Quality Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2015
Excellent company to work for. Learnt and developed lots of skills such as team player, leadership, service oriented and many more.
Pros
rewards and gifts