Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Great company to work at
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2016
This is my first full time job after graduating from university, management is great. Environment is friendly and company does many things to make their employee feel appreciated.
Huge Company with plenty of opportunities to grow
Administrative Assistant, Group Pensions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2015
Great company to work at, but sometimes it is just too huge to work at. Good company to work when you are starting out on your career. And plenty of opportunities.
good career experience
Advisor, Insurance Team (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2012
policy review
call quality
meeting with management on sales and any claims issues
staff was energetic and knowledgable
overall dynamic culture in the workplace
monday to friday schedule
most enjoyable part of my job was seeing increased in sales figures (compared to previous years) and a reduction in claims payouts
Pros
good bonus payouts
Cons
career development
Excellent culture and fun place to work
BI Architect & Sr. Data Modeler Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2016
As a consultant, I was treated with great respect and the working level team within the company was fantastic. Everyone was extremely helpful and committed to the project we were working on.
Good place to learn, caring and knowledgable executives, fast-paced and very challeging envrionment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2015
Typical day at work:
- listening to morning briefings
- work on financial models
- attend meetings with senior executives
- collaborate with co-workers to work on business proposals

What you learned
- how to price REITs
- what do investors and Manulife look for when setting up a fund
- the industry trends
- how to work with different people in different departments and positions

- very knowledgeable, hardworking, and understanding

Co-workers
- friendly, helpful, smart and hardworking

hardest part of the job
- understanding each new project with limited information

most enjoyable
- dynamic work environment and everyone has very high level of energy to produce the best work
High volume call center with little room for advancement
CSR, Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 April 2015
Manulife offers a culture of who you know and not what you know.

There is not a lot of room for advancement contrary to the many promises made during the hiring process.

This position is ideal if your end goal is to be a CSR. Should you be the type of person with career aspirations in moving up in the organization, you may wish to look elsewhere.
Great opportunity to learn meticulously about group travel insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan1 July 2015
Relax work environment. Manulife offered many different types of group travel insurance policies and I got the opportunity to learn and service all of them. Management was very accommodating to address any personal or work related issues. The job itself, once you knew the products, was trait forward. The most enjoyable part of working at Manulife was working with my colleagues.
Pros
Relax work environment
Cons
Company moved from vaughan to toronto
Work Life Balance
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto29 June 2015
Nice company to work.
Promotes Work Life balance and nice work area
However, there is no job security and low opportunities for promotion
Pros
work life balance
Cons
low opportunities for promotion
Very bad experience - E & E Valuation Project
Senior Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  500 King Street North, Waterloo13 February 2014
I worked at 500 King, Waterloo for 2 months as a Business Analyst, it was the worst experience in my 25 years career. I have a banking and technology background. The AVP hired me knowingly that I did not have any insurance experience. But from the very outset my PM disliked me and every time I asked her questions she told me why don't you think, I found her very condescending. I complained to the person who hired me but he did not do anything. So I decided to terminate my contract, at this time the AVP terminated my contract on the same day, I was working from home that day, he did not want me to come back to their building. I had to bring their laptop to my agent and pick up my personal belongings from my agent. This made me feel like a criminal. I find the way I was treated by the PM and AVP very inhuman. I don't recommend anyone to work for E & E Valuation Project at Manulife.
Learn many thing from my team member which help me to build my career
Net Developer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  kitchener23 December 2014
=> Most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for the project team meeting. On a typical day I had a late change from the client to deal with.The team weren't too happy to have to squeeze in another change, but when I explained how helpful it would be to the customer they got down to updating the specification and use cases.

=> I learned time management, punctuality and dedication for work.

=> Management was so friendly. They always ready to guide new employee for enrolling process

=> My co-workers are co operative and very helpful.
=> I have to implement some extra features in real time application which is totally new for me. Before implementation I have to understand whole application that was a hardest part of the job.

=> Every week I have to arranged meeting with my team member for discuss view on progress of project.
Pros
Friendly environment, Everyday treat from my team member
Manulife Financial
BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST & TEAM LEAD (INSURANCE) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2016
Working at Manulife Financial has been wonderful experience. I have been there for 8 years. I have had been promoted to the Business Analyst position.
Not Exactly Temp-Friendly
Temporary (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario11 February 2014
Worked as a temp a while back during a project of theirs. Very disorganized and unplanned. Project manager did not think before making decisions, which caused more problems for the project. When asked if I wanted to do another project with them, I said I had other assignments which was a lie. Told my agency never to send me there again.

Corporate structure is very old-school financial institution, still using a lot of paper documentation and having a style of management the employees must not deviate from.

It was not all bad. People in general were nice and they had a well-staffed cafeteria.
Pros
Clean building, great cafeteria, location on the transit line, nice people
Cons
Rigid corporate command structure, lots of paper documentation, disorganized leadership
Great training, pleasant staff, interesting job
Assistant to Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 March 2013
I work part-time (as required), but the work is interesting. A typical day is spent returning phone calls, answering emails, working on regulated and required paperwork for the advisor, maintaining his data base of client information and accounts. The hardest part of this job is learning all the computer applications used in the industry - they are challenging and interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ongoing discussions of the financial market.
Pros
great training, wonderful people to learn from, interesting work
Cons
limited room for advancement or increased work hours due to part-time position
High Stress Levels
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 September 2015
I have worked with some really great people who always try and make the best of the situation, but the situation being a poor management structure, high levels of escalations and minimal efforts put into de-escalation processes outside of the front line call centre to take the heat.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Poor management and high work volumes with unreasonable work allotment
Productive and have flexible time
Health Claims Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2015
They have provided us training on the different systems used in processing claims. The management are very considerate, especially when I got pregnant. They gave us access to the system so we can work from home, which is very convenient for working mothers like me. My co-workers are very kind and friendly that I can easily asked them questions and will help you if you have encounter problems.
Pros
Flexible time and can work from home
Friendly and professional
Financial Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 April 2015
Manulife Financial SISIP services is a great place to work. Co-workers and the management are very friendly and professional. You do not feel the hierarchy in the workplace. Everybody is very positive. Management makes sure that every new employee receives quality training and lots of support when needed. They provide all the necessary tools for the best performance, then it is up to you to show your talent. Only downside of Manulife SISIP services is that, they mainly hire under contract. Permanent positions are limited.
Horrible place to work if your looking for a warm atmosphere with chance of advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo24 April 2013
I didn't have the same kind of experience some of the reviews listed have. I found there was very little support from management in regards to questions or concerns. In fact they spent more time talking down to myself and several colleagues then helping us succeed for them. Now we were all contracted, and reminded of which quite often, also reminded how they don't hire contracted people... Perhaps this is why we were treated differently. I found most of the staff very helpful, but we were not allowed to seek their support and would infact get in trouble for asking for it. Definitely could just use more support, and be more warm and empathetic to their staff... Would be sufficient changes to make it a much better contracted placement...
Pros
pay rate, break schedules, free lunches, amazing training
Cons
no support, not a warm atmosphere from management or staff, not enough time to complete callbacks for members.
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto/Waterloo16 June 2015
- lots of room for growth
- positive culture
- supportive of on-going education
- world wide opportunities
- unlimited learning opportunities
-great networking opportunities
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
lots of reorganizations that lead to job change/loss
Team Based Environment
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 March 2015
I have always enjoyed working at Manulife. There are many opportunities for advancement, pay is fair, and the team members are fun to work with. Lots of flexibility and focus on work/life balance.
Enjoyable workplace.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario18 September 2015
My daily tasks are routine however the volume can fluctuate at times. My colleagues and I work well together as a team and I also work well on my own. Each year new tasks are learned. Management is approachable which is a bonus because I find at some big company's it can be difficult.
Pros
flexiabe hours