Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Good place to learn, caring and knowledgable executives, fast-paced and very challeging envrionment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Typical day at work:
- listening to morning briefings
- work on financial models
- attend meetings with senior executives
- collaborate with co-workers to work on business proposals

What you learned
- how to price REITs
- what do investors and Manulife look for when setting up a fund
- the industry trends
- how to work with different people in different departments and positions

- very knowledgeable, hardworking, and understanding

Co-workers
- friendly, helpful, smart and hardworking

hardest part of the job
- understanding each new project with limited information

most enjoyable
- dynamic work environment and everyone has very high level of energy to produce the best work
New and Exciting Contract
Blackberry Wireless DST Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2015
This contract was a new endeavor for both myself as well as for the IT dept within Manulife. Not only was it completed ahead of time, (and under budget too, by the way), but was a very experience.
Work/Life Balance is awesome!
ASSOCIATE PRODUCT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 2, 2015
Great place to work for. Co-workers are friendly and warm. There are a lot of changes going on so it is very exciting. Cultural environment is very diverse.
To Obtain a Customer Service position in which I can use my strengths and experience to reach the company’s goals and continuing success
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 22, 2014
Manulife Financial also known as The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, are a major Canadian insurance company and financial services provider. Although its global head office is located in Toronto, Ontario, with its Canadian operations based out of Waterloo, Ontario, Manulife has worldwide operations, most notably in the United States (through its subsidiary, John Hancock Insurance) and in 19 unique Asian countries and territories.

· Collected and Processed Client’s Premium Payment
· Organized and Achieved Clients’ financial records
· Correspond to clients through written letters
Pros
flexible hours to work
Cons
location is not too good
productive and fun workplace
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 19, 2014
The workplace culture and the management team are very good. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. I wish I had more training on the job I applied for. The work volume fluctuates on a daily basis. There is no cafeteria in the office. Overall, it has been a pleasant experience.
Pros
work envvironment
Cons
lack of training provided
Team Based Environment
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2015
I have always enjoyed working at Manulife. There are many opportunities for advancement, pay is fair, and the team members are fun to work with. Lots of flexibility and focus on work/life balance.
Learn many thing from my team member which help me to build my career
Net Developer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  kitchenerDecember 23, 2014
=> Most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for the project team meeting. On a typical day I had a late change from the client to deal with.The team weren't too happy to have to squeeze in another change, but when I explained how helpful it would be to the customer they got down to updating the specification and use cases.

=> I learned time management, punctuality and dedication for work.

=> Management was so friendly. They always ready to guide new employee for enrolling process

=> My co-workers are co operative and very helpful.
=> I have to implement some extra features in real time application which is totally new for me. Before implementation I have to understand whole application that was a hardest part of the job.

=> Every week I have to arranged meeting with my team member for discuss view on progress of project.
Pros
friendly environment, everyday treat from my team member
Cons
nothing
Great ORIGINAL Co-workers
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2014
Loyalty to the company (aka old elephants) in no longer an asset, Honest opinion is not the best policy, pro-active gets you in trouble, Some Street management style is "my way or the highway" States. Outsourcing is bad, since if projects fails, the resident employee is held accountable and not the outsource company. Extreme changes in technology, either technology upgrades is waited till the last minute, or biting more than can be chewed on newer ones.
Pros
long hours if you don't want to go home
Cons
long hours if you want to go home
Unique role with interesting learning opportunities
Analyst (Asset Liability Management, Strategy) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2014
- Helped to faciliate the ALM teams strategy goals
- Managed an Excel model for investment demand
- Management was very helpful and provided great advice
- Co-workers were friendly
- Hardest part: first time working in the insurance industry, lots of new terminology and concepts
- Most enjoyable part: was given a lot of reponsibility with one major project
great management that focuses on bettering thier employees
Disability Claims Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto ontarioMarch 2, 2014
for the two years that with worked with Manulife, I was supported in my career as well as my educational aspirations. They provided me with ample coaching to perform the job I was hired to do and was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had working
Pros
great management, good people and strong focus on work life balance
Cons
seniority structure for promotions.
Relaxing atmosphere, you are free to go for lunch, but you must be responsible for time taken
Contract Position - Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 29, 2013
A typical day is to underwrite a case, answer phone, interact with other departments such as Finance, Accounting, Marketing, deal with customers over the phone, allocate funds to accounts.
Pros
you are given all the tools that you need to do your job, relaxing environment
Cons
pay is not adequate for the responsibilities given, not easity recognized for your contributions
Building Operations(Alberta)
Building Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaDecember 10, 2013
I do stress that being in building operations in this part of Canada with little experience, you are setting yourself up for failure.
I personally have not been so disgusted by a bunch of adult employees, the way they treat newcomers/juniors.
You can not learn anything in particular without being treated like a little child or an uneducated fool.
The Building Operations line of work is horrible. Many people have come and gone, no movement in this company. Stay away.
benefits
Cons
see above
Weekly brunch ordered by our project manager
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 6, 2013
I would be assigned multiple projects by my project manager through a ticketing system once the request for change was initiated by a person. Once the project was assigned to me, I would go to SMEs and gather requirements and ask them questions about the details of new business process. Mostly, I would go to interview clients with senior business Analyst. I learned alot from her as she taught me tips and trick on how to become a subject matter expert yourself once you discuss requirements with clients.
Pros
location - downtown, 10 am start
Cons
salary
productive workplace with excellent ongoing training,
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 17, 2012
Typical day: was taking ongoing incoming calls. I learned a lot about RRSP's and about Manu one Mortgages. My supervisor was very supportive and I found the company had a high standard for family values. The hardest part of the job was sitting in one place for eight hours. The most enjoyable was the satisfaction of knowing you helped a client.
Pros
free lunches, recognition, team building events.
Cons
not being able to move around, evening hours.
Productive Workplace and Fun Activities
Mailroom Sorter (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 18, 2013
Open and preparre the mail to be sent to the various locations for the adjudicators to process. A very fast paced environment, however the days flew by.
Great co-workers. The hardest part of the job was that we were so busy there was not a lot of time to interact with co-workers during the day but when we had time, it was great. Great team work.

The best part of the job was having plenty of work to keep busy and the hours. Everyone helped each other.
Pros
social committee which planned events, free pizza, bbq lunches, games to coincide with the activity
Cons
the office location, for me personally
Wonderful learing experience into the world of Group Health and Dental Benefits
Group Benefits Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 26, 2013
This job does take place in a Call Centre department which can be very regimented and non-stop. The time given to work on outstanding claims/callbacks is minimal and overtime is necessary.

Excellent opportunity into the world of Insurance.

Wonderful learning experience.
Pros
decent pay and benefits, friendly staff, approachable management
Cons
several hours of overtime required to stay on top of callbacks, call centre environment, which can be very negative.
Great training, pleasant staff, interesting job
Assistant to Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 20, 2013
I work part-time (as required), but the work is interesting. A typical day is spent returning phone calls, answering emails, working on regulated and required paperwork for the advisor, maintaining his data base of client information and accounts. The hardest part of this job is learning all the computer applications used in the industry - they are challenging and interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ongoing discussions of the financial market.
Pros
great training, wonderful people to learn from, interesting work
Cons
limited room for advancement or increased work hours due to part-time position
Great benefit and offer advance job opportunities.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ONApril 8, 2013
Very busy and full of challenge. Great diversity of people and very fun to work with. Provided continuous staff training. Had annual picnic and Christmas dance.

Learnt to deal with the public via phone and personnel contact. Learnt to multitask with answering calls, writing letter and providing the right information to the clients.

Learning a variety of products was challenging and being able to resolve problems for the customer was most satisfying.
Very professional and exciting work environment
Training Delivery Specialist (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2013
I've been working for Manulife for a few months now and it has taught me a lot about the Mutual Fund Industry. There is a very professional environment while providing opportunity to learn. My work days are fairly long and sometimes not enought time to get through the work. As an overall opinion Manulife has been an interesting experience and really impacted my professional life.
Not Exactly Temp-Friendly
Temporary (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 11, 2014
Worked as a temp a while back during a project of theirs. Very disorganized and unplanned. Project manager did not think before making decisions, which caused more problems for the project. When asked if I wanted to do another project with them, I said I had other assignments which was a lie. Told my agency never to send me there again.

Corporate structure is very old-school financial institution, still using a lot of paper documentation and having a style of management the employees must not deviate from.

It was not all bad. People in general were nice and they had a well-staffed cafeteria.
Pros
clean building, great cafeteria, location on the transit line, nice people
Cons
rigid corporate command structure, lots of paper documentation, disorganized leadership