Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Positive work atmosphere with optimal respect for employees.
Project Director (Former Employee) –  200 Bloor St. E., TorontoMarch 25, 2015
Working at Manulife really demonstrated a company who is forward thinking when managing employees as well as business. I learned the the importance of really intensifying my ability and efficiency in working in a global company. Maintaining good communication with colleagues and project stakeholders who work across Asia and North America allowed me the opportunity to embrace technology, time management when dealing with multi dimensional intricacies. Management was very strong and supportive of all staff. Any difficulties were supported and coached. The hardest part of my job was fully learning the strategic breakdown of the organization entirely as it was newly formed but the most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a strong project management team. The group was formed on the premise that project/program management was viewed as a profession essential to the ongoing strategic development of the organization.
Pros
On site gym and focus on wellness; work and lifeystyle
Cons
GPO should have kept PMP terms consistent with industry standards.
Technical Trainer- US Group Pensions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 31, 2014
Wonderful place to work.
Good Benefits
Great flexibility
Friendly Staff and co workers
Was pretty good and people are great
Long Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 29, 2015
This was a challenging work place but overall pretty supportive place to work. The people are great and the job is a challenging but also can be rewarding one.
Good place to learn, caring and knowledgable executives, fast-paced and very challeging envrionment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Typical day at work:
- listening to morning briefings
- work on financial models
- attend meetings with senior executives
- collaborate with co-workers to work on business proposals

What you learned
- how to price REITs
- what do investors and Manulife look for when setting up a fund
- the industry trends
- how to work with different people in different departments and positions

- very knowledgeable, hardworking, and understanding

Co-workers
- friendly, helpful, smart and hardworking

hardest part of the job
- understanding each new project with limited information

most enjoyable
- dynamic work environment and everyone has very high level of energy to produce the best work
great management that focuses on bettering thier employees
Disability Claims Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto ontarioMarch 2, 2014
for the two years that with worked with Manulife, I was supported in my career as well as my educational aspirations. They provided me with ample coaching to perform the job I was hired to do and was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had working
Pros
great management, good people and strong focus on work life balance
Cons
seniority structure for promotions.
productive, professional and fitness place at work.
Quality Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Learnt and developed lots of skills such as team player, leadership, service oriented and many more.
Pros
rewards and gifts
Learn many thing from my team member which help me to build my career
Net Developer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  kitchenerDecember 23, 2014
=> Most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for the project team meeting. On a typical day I had a late change from the client to deal with.The team weren't too happy to have to squeeze in another change, but when I explained how helpful it would be to the customer they got down to updating the specification and use cases.

=> I learned time management, punctuality and dedication for work.

=> Management was so friendly. They always ready to guide new employee for enrolling process

=> My co-workers are co operative and very helpful.
=> I have to implement some extra features in real time application which is totally new for me. Before implementation I have to understand whole application that was a hardest part of the job.

=> Every week I have to arranged meeting with my team member for discuss view on progress of project.
Pros
friendly environment, everyday treat from my team member
Cons
nothing
Great ORIGINAL Co-workers
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2014
Loyalty to the company (aka old elephants) in no longer an asset, Honest opinion is not the best policy, pro-active gets you in trouble, Some Street management style is "my way or the highway" States. Outsourcing is bad, since if projects fails, the resident employee is held accountable and not the outsource company. Extreme changes in technology, either technology upgrades is waited till the last minute, or biting more than can be chewed on newer ones.
Pros
long hours if you don't want to go home
Cons
long hours if you want to go home
Hectic environment
Senior Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 19, 2015
Lack of mature leadership, allowing long time contractors to manage and lead very experienced senior analysts and developers.
Pros
allowing employees to work from home.
Work/Life Balance is awesome!
ASSOCIATE PRODUCT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 2, 2015
Great place to work for. Co-workers are friendly and warm. There are a lot of changes going on so it is very exciting. Cultural environment is very diverse.
To Obtain a Customer Service position in which I can use my strengths and experience to reach the company’s goals and continuing success
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 22, 2014
Manulife Financial also known as The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, are a major Canadian insurance company and financial services provider. Although its global head office is located in Toronto, Ontario, with its Canadian operations based out of Waterloo, Ontario, Manulife has worldwide operations, most notably in the United States (through its subsidiary, John Hancock Insurance) and in 19 unique Asian countries and territories.

· Collected and Processed Client’s Premium Payment
· Organized and Achieved Clients’ financial records
· Correspond to clients through written letters
Pros
flexible hours to work
Cons
location is not too good
good career experience
Advisor, Insurance Team (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2012
policy review
call quality
meeting with management on sales and any claims issues
staff was energetic and knowledgable
overall dynamic culture in the workplace
monday to friday schedule
most enjoyable part of my job was seeing increased in sales figures (compared to previous years) and a reduction in claims payouts
Pros
good bonus payouts
Cons
career development
New and Exciting Contract
Blackberry Wireless DST Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2015
This contract was a new endeavor for both myself as well as for the IT dept within Manulife. Not only was it completed ahead of time, (and under budget too, by the way), but was a very experience.
productive and fun workplace
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 19, 2014
The workplace culture and the management team are very good. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. I wish I had more training on the job I applied for. The work volume fluctuates on a daily basis. There is no cafeteria in the office. Overall, it has been a pleasant experience.
Pros
work envvironment
Cons
lack of training provided
Good Place to Work
Senior Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Really enjoy working here. People are very friendly and great work/life balance. The company feels more like a family rather than a big financial institution.
Very bad experience - E & E Valuation Project
Senior Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  500 King Street North, WaterlooFebruary 13, 2014
I worked at 500 King, Waterloo for 2 months as a Business Analyst, it was the worst experience in my 25 years career. I have a banking and technology background. The AVP hired me knowingly that I did not have any insurance experience. But from the very outset my PM disliked me and every time I asked her questions she told me why don't you think, I found her very condescending. I complained to the person who hired me but he did not do anything. So I decided to terminate my contract, at this time the AVP terminated my contract on the same day, I was working from home that day, he did not want me to come back to their building. I had to bring their laptop to my agent and pick up my personal belongings from my agent. This made me feel like a criminal. I find the way I was treated by the PM and AVP very inhuman. I don't recommend anyone to work for E & E Valuation Project at Manulife.
Not Exactly Temp-Friendly
Temporary (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 11, 2014
Worked as a temp a while back during a project of theirs. Very disorganized and unplanned. Project manager did not think before making decisions, which caused more problems for the project. When asked if I wanted to do another project with them, I said I had other assignments which was a lie. Told my agency never to send me there again.

Corporate structure is very old-school financial institution, still using a lot of paper documentation and having a style of management the employees must not deviate from.

It was not all bad. People in general were nice and they had a well-staffed cafeteria.
Pros
clean building, great cafeteria, location on the transit line, nice people
Cons
rigid corporate command structure, lots of paper documentation, disorganized leadership
Great training, pleasant staff, interesting job
Assistant to Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 20, 2013
I work part-time (as required), but the work is interesting. A typical day is spent returning phone calls, answering emails, working on regulated and required paperwork for the advisor, maintaining his data base of client information and accounts. The hardest part of this job is learning all the computer applications used in the industry - they are challenging and interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ongoing discussions of the financial market.
Pros
great training, wonderful people to learn from, interesting work
Cons
limited room for advancement or increased work hours due to part-time position
Horrible place to work if your looking for a warm atmosphere with chance of advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  WaterlooApril 24, 2013
I didn't have the same kind of experience some of the reviews listed have. I found there was very little support from management in regards to questions or concerns. In fact they spent more time talking down to myself and several colleagues then helping us succeed for them. Now we were all contracted, and reminded of which quite often, also reminded how they don't hire contracted people... Perhaps this is why we were treated differently. I found most of the staff very helpful, but we were not allowed to seek their support and would infact get in trouble for asking for it. Definitely could just use more support, and be more warm and empathetic to their staff... Would be sufficient changes to make it a much better contracted placement...
Pros
pay rate, break schedules, free lunches, amazing training
Cons
no support, not a warm atmosphere from management or staff, not enough time to complete callbacks for members.
Great place to work and grow.
Agency Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Busy work environment with lots to learn and progress within the company. Great team environment and wonderful management.
Pros
great place to balance work/life.