Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

hard working environment
Director, Global Program Office (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2015
high level of demands on employees. good benefits. not well organized however autocratic management style. some management is very bright and articulate. ideas need to be more modern and forward thinking.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
archaic thinking
Wonderful learing experience into the world of Group Health and Dental Benefits
Group Benefits Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 January 2013
This job does take place in a Call Centre department which can be very regimented and non-stop. The time given to work on outstanding claims/callbacks is minimal and overtime is necessary.

Excellent opportunity into the world of Insurance.

Wonderful learning experience.
Pros
decent pay and benefits, friendly staff, approachable management
Cons
several hours of overtime required to stay on top of callbacks, call centre environment, which can be very negative.
Challenging work and great people
SALES SUPPORT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON2 May 2016
I very much enjoyed getting to know all of the financial advisors on my team and supporting them in all of their administrative needs.
I loved being a part of a growing team and having input on processes and procedures. And although the work could be repetitive and tedious at times the people I worked with made it worthwhile.
Pros
Office Location, Excellent Cafeteria
Cons
Working from Home Flexibility
Great ORIGINAL Co-workers
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2014
Loyalty to the company (aka old elephants) in no longer an asset, Honest opinion is not the best policy, pro-active gets you in trouble, Some Street management style is "my way or the highway" States. Outsourcing is bad, since if projects fails, the resident employee is held accountable and not the outsource company. Extreme changes in technology, either technology upgrades is waited till the last minute, or biting more than can be chewed on newer ones.
Pros
Long Hours if you don't want to go home
Cons
Long hours if you want to go home
A good place for work-life balance
Quantitative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2015
A good place to work. Co-workers are nice, not very busy and good job security. The company cares much about employees' work-life balance.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
not a place to study a lot
High volume call center with little room for advancement
CSR, Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 April 2015
Manulife offers a culture of who you know and not what you know.

There is not a lot of room for advancement contrary to the many promises made during the hiring process.

This position is ideal if your end goal is to be a CSR. Should you be the type of person with career aspirations in moving up in the organization, you may wish to look elsewhere.
Changed in management
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2016
The work environment changed from extremely well to extremely tense after the integration. A manager is very important. The new manager does not trust our work, and was micro managing caused everyone to be on their edge.
Pros
Work hour
Cons
unfair manager
It was a great experience
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
It was a great experience. I was very lucky to work there, its a great place to work. I wish them all the future success. The hours are great, it is very professional, and its a supportive environment.
Great compnay to work for
Sr. Project Manager (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario28 January 2016
a very welcoming environment.
good company to work for
enjoyed working there
looking forward to return
good management
Good for telecommuting
Business Systems Analyst / QA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2013
Develop testing strategies. Performed Competitive Analysis. Learned Competitors' Life Insurance products. Management allowed me to be self managed, so little interaction. Co-workers relied heavily on my results. Many co-workers received great accolades and rewards with my help. Hardest part and most enjoyable part of the job was finding solutions for competitor analysis
Pros
Telecommuting
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto/Waterloo16 June 2015
- lots of room for growth
- positive culture
- supportive of on-going education
- world wide opportunities
- unlimited learning opportunities
-great networking opportunities
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
lots of reorganizations that lead to job change/loss
Excellent Company to work for
HR Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 December 2015
I was a proud member of the Manulife Financial HR Operations team for many years. I fully support the day to day operations, enjoyed how management allowed autonomy in the workplace and encouraged employees to find efficiencies within their roles.

I would be pleased to work with Manulife again having only left due to departmental restructuring.
productive and fun workplace
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2014
The workplace culture and the management team are very good. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. I wish I had more training on the job I applied for. The work volume fluctuates on a daily basis. There is no cafeteria in the office. Overall, it has been a pleasant experience.
Pros
work envvironment
Cons
lack of training provided
Great working atmosphere with lots of flexibility
Case Manager for Absence Management (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 December 2015
Working from home is a great advantage that manlike offers. Your work performance directly predicts your income and potential for advancement.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Difficult to advance
Work at your own time.Excellent training.Generous commissions & awards
Licensed Life Insurance Underwriter / Agent (Former Employee) –  Makti City29 January 2013
A typical day would involve reviewing all client records, calling all those need to be reminded on premium payment dues, calling prospects and setting appointments for the week and organizing the client's files ensuring that all policies are updated. I have learned much about financial investments and the value of all types of insurance according to the individual's or family's needs. Management has been very generous in giving out commissions and other benefits. Training has been challenging but very useful. I have since applied for personal as well as at my other jobs the training i learned at Manulife and up to this day I am really grateful for it.My co workers were very supportive and inspirational, helping me achieve my goals in the insurance business as well as in my personal life. They have become long time friends even after i resigned.
The hardest part of the job is when quotas increase every year and become very challenging to reach. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you manage your own time, you are your own boss, and your earning capacity is in your own hands.
Pros
work at your own time. generous commissions and awards. training is one of the best
Cons
sales quotas increase periodically
Huge Company with plenty of opportunities to grow
Administrative Assistant, Group Pensions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2015
Great company to work at, but sometimes it is just too huge to work at. Good company to work when you are starting out on your career. And plenty of opportunities.
depending on the department: flexible hours
Claims analyst (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC16 June 2015
I loved working for this company. The hours were flexible and the salary was very competitive. I learned a lot about group benefits. They provide excellent training.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
too far from my home
Great company to work at
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2016
This is my first full time job after graduating from university, management is great. Environment is friendly and company does many things to make their employee feel appreciated.
Good place to learn, caring and knowledgable executives, fast-paced and very challeging envrionment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2015
Typical day at work:
- listening to morning briefings
- work on financial models
- attend meetings with senior executives
- collaborate with co-workers to work on business proposals

What you learned
- how to price REITs
- what do investors and Manulife look for when setting up a fund
- the industry trends
- how to work with different people in different departments and positions

- very knowledgeable, hardworking, and understanding

Co-workers
- friendly, helpful, smart and hardworking

hardest part of the job
- understanding each new project with limited information

most enjoyable
- dynamic work environment and everyone has very high level of energy to produce the best work
A sweatshop work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2015
Manulife does not pay overtime, yet will expect you to work 45-60 hours a week on your own time. They keep you on contract for a minimum of a year (meaning no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, etc), most people on contract for 1.5-2 years before getting permanent. They fire contract workers who refuse to work unpaid overtime. Rather than pay overtime or hire more people, they keep teams understaffed and bleed out every dollars worth of labour they can get from you then if/when you burnout, they fire you or you quit. The turnover for STD Case Managers is comparable to Wal-Mart, yet at Wal-Mart at least you get benefits.

Manulife was once a great company to work for, however now they have become just another ruthless and unappreciative financial company that doesn't respect it's workers.

Also, all new workers are hired on by different agencies. We found out people were getting paid between $30k to $45k for the exact same job depending which agency they were hired with. Manulife doesn't ensure equal salary.
Pros
Decent starting salary ~$45k/year
Cons
Unpaid overtime; burnout

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manulife Financial. Our community is ready to answer.

90%