Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

productive, professional and fitness place at work.
Quality Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Learnt and developed lots of skills such as team player, leadership, service oriented and many more.
Pros
rewards and gifts
Productive workplace
Medical Tele-interviewer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 16, 2015
Professional environment.
Good team work.
Extra training available when needed.
Good benefits.
In this job we take inbound calls from clients to book their medical interview appointments, we make calls out to clients and complete the interviews on the phone.
I like how there are no "cold calls" to clients, they are expecting our call.
Pros
VIP bonus
Cons
Hours they are open
Productive and have flexible time
Health Claims Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2015
They have provided us training on the different systems used in processing claims. The management are very considerate, especially when I got pregnant. They gave us access to the system so we can work from home, which is very convenient for working mothers like me. My co-workers are very kind and friendly that I can easily asked them questions and will help you if you have encounter problems.
Pros
Flexible time and can work from home
Sr. Business System Analyst / Team lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
Good company to work for, good work life balance.
Very helpful peers. A lot of opportunity to grow within the organization.
Some traveling is involved.
amazing company
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 9, 2015
i really enjoyed my work with manulife. very generous in benefits package & vacation days off. would come back for manulife in a flash.
Pros
benefits, time-offs, sometimes free lunch
A sweatshop work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
Manulife does not pay overtime, yet will expect you to work 45-60 hours a week on your own time. They keep you on contract for a minimum of a year (meaning no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, etc), most people on contract for 1.5-2 years before getting permanent. They fire contract workers who refuse to work unpaid overtime. Rather than pay overtime or hire more people, they keep teams understaffed and bleed out every dollars worth of labour they can get from you then if/when you burnout, they fire you or you quit. The turnover for STD Case Managers is comparable to Wal-Mart, yet at Wal-Mart at least you get benefits.

Manulife was once a great company to work for, however now they have become just another ruthless and unappreciative financial company that doesn't respect it's workers.

Also, all new workers are hired on by different agencies. We found out people were getting paid between $30k to $45k for the exact same job depending which agency they were hired with. Manulife doesn't ensure equal salary.
Pros
Decent starting salary ~$45k/year
Cons
Unpaid overtime; burnout
Loved and enjoyed working for Manulife Financial
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  500 King Street North, WaterlooJuly 6, 2015
Manulife is a agreat company to work for and be working in for 8 hours a day. The Management team and staff are great and the workflow is doable.
Great opportunity to learn meticulously about group travel insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  VaughanJuly 1, 2015
Relax work environment. Manulife offered many different types of group travel insurance policies and I got the opportunity to learn and service all of them. Management was very accommodating to address any personal or work related issues. The job itself, once you knew the products, was trait forward. The most enjoyable part of working at Manulife was working with my colleagues.
Pros
Relax work environment
Cons
Company moved from vaughan to toronto
Work Life Balance
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  TorontoJune 29, 2015
Nice company to work.
Promotes Work Life balance and nice work area
However, there is no job security and low opportunities for promotion
Pros
work life balance
Cons
low opportunities for promotion
Lots of opportunities to learn new skills
Group Admin./Reception/Mailroom (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJune 28, 2015
I was employed for 14 years with Manulife Financial. My reason for leaving was there were a lot of changes and downsizing at the time.

I truly enjoyed my work experience with this company. I obtained a lot of new skills and had great colleagues / co-workers to work with along the way.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Had to leave because of downsizing
Hectic environment
Senior Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 19, 2015
Lack of mature leadership, allowing long time contractors to manage and lead very experienced senior analysts and developers.
Pros
allowing employees to work from home.
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto/WaterlooJune 16, 2015
- lots of room for growth
- positive culture
- supportive of on-going education
- world wide opportunities
- unlimited learning opportunities
-great networking opportunities
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
lots of reorganizations that lead to job change/loss
depending on the department: flexible hours
Claims analyst (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCJune 16, 2015
I loved working for this company. The hours were flexible and the salary was very competitive. I learned a lot about group benefits. They provide excellent training.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
too far from my home
Work/Life Balance is awesome!
ASSOCIATE PRODUCT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 2, 2015
Great place to work for. Co-workers are friendly and warm. There are a lot of changes going on so it is very exciting. Cultural environment is very diverse.
New and Exciting Contract
Blackberry Wireless DST Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2015
This contract was a new endeavor for both myself as well as for the IT dept within Manulife. Not only was it completed ahead of time, (and under budget too, by the way), but was a very experience.
Friendly and professional
Financial Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 21, 2015
Manulife Financial SISIP services is a great place to work. Co-workers and the management are very friendly and professional. You do not feel the hierarchy in the workplace. Everybody is very positive. Management makes sure that every new employee receives quality training and lots of support when needed. They provide all the necessary tools for the best performance, then it is up to you to show your talent. Only downside of Manulife SISIP services is that, they mainly hire under contract. Permanent positions are limited.
High volume call center with little room for advancement
CSR, Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 10, 2015
Manulife offers a culture of who you know and not what you know.

There is not a lot of room for advancement contrary to the many promises made during the hiring process.

This position is ideal if your end goal is to be a CSR. Should you be the type of person with career aspirations in moving up in the organization, you may wish to look elsewhere.
Team Based Environment
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2015
I have always enjoyed working at Manulife. There are many opportunities for advancement, pay is fair, and the team members are fun to work with. Lots of flexibility and focus on work/life balance.
Positive work atmosphere with optimal respect for employees.
Project Director (Former Employee) –  200 Bloor St. E., TorontoMarch 25, 2015
Working at Manulife really demonstrated a company who is forward thinking when managing employees as well as business. I learned the the importance of really intensifying my ability and efficiency in working in a global company. Maintaining good communication with colleagues and project stakeholders who work across Asia and North America allowed me the opportunity to embrace technology, time management when dealing with multi dimensional intricacies. Management was very strong and supportive of all staff. Any difficulties were supported and coached. The hardest part of my job was fully learning the strategic breakdown of the organization entirely as it was newly formed but the most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a strong project management team. The group was formed on the premise that project/program management was viewed as a profession essential to the ongoing strategic development of the organization.
Pros
On site gym and focus on wellness; work and lifeystyle
Cons
GPO should have kept PMP terms consistent with industry standards.
Good Place to Work
Senior Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Really enjoy working here. People are very friendly and great work/life balance. The company feels more like a family rather than a big financial institution.