Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Manulife Financial
BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST & TEAM LEAD (INSURANCE) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Working at Manulife Financial has been wonderful experience. I have been there for 8 years. I have had been promoted to the Business Analyst position.
High Stress Levels
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 1, 2015
I have worked with some really great people who always try and make the best of the situation, but the situation being a poor management structure, high levels of escalations and minimal efforts put into de-escalation processes outside of the front line call centre to take the heat.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Poor management and high work volumes with unreasonable work allotment
High volume call center with little room for advancement
CSR, Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 10, 2015
Manulife offers a culture of who you know and not what you know.

There is not a lot of room for advancement contrary to the many promises made during the hiring process.

This position is ideal if your end goal is to be a CSR. Should you be the type of person with career aspirations in moving up in the organization, you may wish to look elsewhere.
A sweatshop work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
Manulife does not pay overtime, yet will expect you to work 45-60 hours a week on your own time. They keep you on contract for a minimum of a year (meaning no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, etc), most people on contract for 1.5-2 years before getting permanent. They fire contract workers who refuse to work unpaid overtime. Rather than pay overtime or hire more people, they keep teams understaffed and bleed out every dollars worth of labour they can get from you then if/when you burnout, they fire you or you quit. The turnover for STD Case Managers is comparable to Wal-Mart, yet at Wal-Mart at least you get benefits.

Manulife was once a great company to work for, however now they have become just another ruthless and unappreciative financial company that doesn't respect it's workers.

Also, all new workers are hired on by different agencies. We found out people were getting paid between $30k to $45k for the exact same job depending which agency they were hired with. Manulife doesn't ensure equal salary.
Pros
Decent starting salary ~$45k/year
Cons
Unpaid overtime; burnout
Enjoyable workplace.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 18, 2015
My daily tasks are routine however the volume can fluctuate at times. My colleagues and I work well together as a team and I also work well on my own. Each year new tasks are learned. Management is approachable which is a bonus because I find at some big company's it can be difficult.
Pros
flexiabe hours
Work Life Balance
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  TorontoJune 29, 2015
Nice company to work.
Promotes Work Life balance and nice work area
However, there is no job security and low opportunities for promotion
Pros
work life balance
Cons
low opportunities for promotion
Great opportunity to learn meticulously about group travel insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  VaughanJuly 1, 2015
Relax work environment. Manulife offered many different types of group travel insurance policies and I got the opportunity to learn and service all of them. Management was very accommodating to address any personal or work related issues. The job itself, once you knew the products, was trait forward. The most enjoyable part of working at Manulife was working with my colleagues.
Pros
Relax work environment
Cons
Company moved from vaughan to toronto
depending on the department: flexible hours
Claims analyst (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCJune 16, 2015
I loved working for this company. The hours were flexible and the salary was very competitive. I learned a lot about group benefits. They provide excellent training.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
too far from my home
Productive and have flexible time
Health Claims Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2015
They have provided us training on the different systems used in processing claims. The management are very considerate, especially when I got pregnant. They gave us access to the system so we can work from home, which is very convenient for working mothers like me. My co-workers are very kind and friendly that I can easily asked them questions and will help you if you have encounter problems.
Pros
Flexible time and can work from home
Productive workplace
Medical Tele-interviewer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 16, 2015
Professional environment.
Good team work.
Extra training available when needed.
Good benefits.
In this job we take inbound calls from clients to book their medical interview appointments, we make calls out to clients and complete the interviews on the phone.
I like how there are no "cold calls" to clients, they are expecting our call.
Pros
VIP bonus
Cons
Hours they are open
Great company, long history and rewards hard work.
IPC Analyst IV, Institutional IS (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 15, 2015
Without depending on where you work within Manulife you will find a good cross section of people. The best part of working there is the team work and work ethic displayed from my co-workers. This led to an amazing relationship build. I was lucky enough to have some really great bosses and a few terrible ones.
great management that focuses on bettering thier employees
Disability Claims Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto ontarioMarch 2, 2014
for the two years that with worked with Manulife, I was supported in my career as well as my educational aspirations. They provided me with ample coaching to perform the job I was hired to do and was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had working
Pros
great management, good people and strong focus on work life balance
Cons
seniority structure for promotions.
Great working environment
Customer service in a call center (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 17, 2015
Working for Manulife is great.
The people are nice and managment is very helpful.
There are many advancement possiblities.
Not recommended
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 27, 2015
Good company if you want to get nickel and dimed on your pay. Was part of a huge hiring group and then part of a huge firing group because they overhired. Management are out to cover their own butts. Best advise, look for a new insurance company to work for.
Pros
The employees
Cons
Everything else
Decent company with fair benefits and salary
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 19, 2013
- Typical day at work is extremely hectic in particular during peak times (Jan to Mar). Very busy and took time to become comfortable with leaving work knowing I may not have completed everything in the day as it can be very hard to keep up
- I learned so much. I have been very lucky within the company and had many great mentors who were focused on helping me succeed. I learned leadership, improved on multitasking and found my voice
- My co-workers are great. They are helpful, supportive and very knowledgeable
- Leadership is the most difficult for me. The leadership style for me and what I am used to within the organization has changed significantly after the re-organization. It's no longer enjoyable and has proved to be an impossible work/life balance.
- All of the opportunities I have had as been the most enjoyable. I have had the opportunity to work with so many different people from so many areas, and I'm truly grateful for that.
Pros
decent salary, people, opportunities
Cons
long hours, no work/life balance
good career experience
Advisor, Insurance Team (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2012
policy review
call quality
meeting with management on sales and any claims issues
staff was energetic and knowledgable
overall dynamic culture in the workplace
monday to friday schedule
most enjoyable part of my job was seeing increased in sales figures (compared to previous years) and a reduction in claims payouts
Pros
good bonus payouts
Cons
career development
Friendly and professional
Financial Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 21, 2015
Manulife Financial SISIP services is a great place to work. Co-workers and the management are very friendly and professional. You do not feel the hierarchy in the workplace. Everybody is very positive. Management makes sure that every new employee receives quality training and lots of support when needed. They provide all the necessary tools for the best performance, then it is up to you to show your talent. Only downside of Manulife SISIP services is that, they mainly hire under contract. Permanent positions are limited.
Sr. Business System Analyst / Team lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
Good company to work for, good work life balance.
Very helpful peers. A lot of opportunity to grow within the organization.
Some traveling is involved.
Team Based Environment
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2015
I have always enjoyed working at Manulife. There are many opportunities for advancement, pay is fair, and the team members are fun to work with. Lots of flexibility and focus on work/life balance.
Wonderful learing experience into the world of Group Health and Dental Benefits
Group Benefits Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 26, 2013
This job does take place in a Call Centre department which can be very regimented and non-stop. The time given to work on outstanding claims/callbacks is minimal and overtime is necessary.

Excellent opportunity into the world of Insurance.

Wonderful learning experience.
Pros
decent pay and benefits, friendly staff, approachable management
Cons
several hours of overtime required to stay on top of callbacks, call centre environment, which can be very negative.