Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Huge Company with plenty of opportunities to grow
Administrative Assistant, Group Pensions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 11, 2015
Great company to work at, but sometimes it is just too huge to work at. Good company to work when you are starting out on your career. And plenty of opportunities.
A good place for work-life balance
Quantitative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
A good place to work. Co-workers are nice, not very busy and good job security. The company cares much about employees' work-life balance.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
not a place to study a lot
Very busy place to work. Always changing
Training and Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 22, 2015
Good work place with supportive management. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Management is supportive
Cons
co-works are very siloed thinking, lots of work - employees are maxed
Great company, long history and rewards hard work.
IPC Analyst IV, Institutional IS (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 15, 2015
Without depending on where you work within Manulife you will find a good cross section of people. The best part of working there is the team work and work ethic displayed from my co-workers. This led to an amazing relationship build. I was lucky enough to have some really great bosses and a few terrible ones.
hard working environment
Director, Global Program Office (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 11, 2015
high level of demands on employees. good benefits. not well organized however autocratic management style. some management is very bright and articulate. ideas need to be more modern and forward thinking.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
archaic thinking
Enjoyable workplace.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 18, 2015
My daily tasks are routine however the volume can fluctuate at times. My colleagues and I work well together as a team and I also work well on my own. Each year new tasks are learned. Management is approachable which is a bonus because I find at some big company's it can be difficult.
Pros
flexiabe hours
Productive, Good training provided, goood teamplayers
Customer service Agent (Former Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 16, 2015
Professional place to work with Internal/External clients, Advisors, other staff of Manulife from other locations.
DEvelopped good customer experience at Reception.
enjoyed working alongside colleagues.
Not satisfied salarywise-role was changed to a more challenging and stressful one but no salaryraise.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
We cannot accelarate some proceedures which was not in my hands
Productive, Hard working coworkers
Private Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2015
Senior staffs were very supportive. There were always room to grow and they supported my line of work. Not all about numbers but also personal growth and development. Dynamic of the office began to change as new staffs were relocating. Expectations became overwhelming.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Rotation of new senior staffs
High Stress Levels
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 1, 2015
I have worked with some really great people who always try and make the best of the situation, but the situation being a poor management structure, high levels of escalations and minimal efforts put into de-escalation processes outside of the front line call centre to take the heat.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Poor management and high work volumes with unreasonable work allotment
Great working environment
Customer service in a call center (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 17, 2015
Working for Manulife is great.
The people are nice and managment is very helpful.
There are many advancement possiblities.
Was pretty good and people are great
Long Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 29, 2015
This was a challenging work place but overall pretty supportive place to work. The people are great and the job is a challenging but also can be rewarding one.
Not recommended
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 27, 2015
Good company if you want to get nickel and dimed on your pay. Was part of a huge hiring group and then part of a huge firing group because they overhired. Management are out to cover their own butts. Best advise, look for a new insurance company to work for.
Pros
The employees
Cons
Everything else
productive, professional and fitness place at work.
Quality Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Learnt and developed lots of skills such as team player, leadership, service oriented and many more.
Pros
rewards and gifts
Productive workplace
Medical Tele-interviewer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 16, 2015
Professional environment.
Good team work.
Extra training available when needed.
Good benefits.
In this job we take inbound calls from clients to book their medical interview appointments, we make calls out to clients and complete the interviews on the phone.
I like how there are no "cold calls" to clients, they are expecting our call.
Pros
VIP bonus
Cons
Hours they are open
Productive and have flexible time
Health Claims Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2015
They have provided us training on the different systems used in processing claims. The management are very considerate, especially when I got pregnant. They gave us access to the system so we can work from home, which is very convenient for working mothers like me. My co-workers are very kind and friendly that I can easily asked them questions and will help you if you have encounter problems.
Pros
Flexible time and can work from home
Sr. Business System Analyst / Team lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
Good company to work for, good work life balance.
Very helpful peers. A lot of opportunity to grow within the organization.
Some traveling is involved.
amazing company
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 9, 2015
i really enjoyed my work with manulife. very generous in benefits package & vacation days off. would come back for manulife in a flash.
Pros
benefits, time-offs, sometimes free lunch
A sweatshop work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
Manulife does not pay overtime, yet will expect you to work 45-60 hours a week on your own time. They keep you on contract for a minimum of a year (meaning no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, etc), most people on contract for 1.5-2 years before getting permanent. They fire contract workers who refuse to work unpaid overtime. Rather than pay overtime or hire more people, they keep teams understaffed and bleed out every dollars worth of labour they can get from you then if/when you burnout, they fire you or you quit. The turnover for STD Case Managers is comparable to Wal-Mart, yet at Wal-Mart at least you get benefits.

Manulife was once a great company to work for, however now they have become just another ruthless and unappreciative financial company that doesn't respect it's workers.

Also, all new workers are hired on by different agencies. We found out people were getting paid between $30k to $45k for the exact same job depending which agency they were hired with. Manulife doesn't ensure equal salary.
Pros
Decent starting salary ~$45k/year
Cons
Unpaid overtime; burnout
Loved and enjoyed working for Manulife Financial
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  500 King Street North, WaterlooJuly 6, 2015
Manulife is a agreat company to work for and be working in for 8 hours a day. The Management team and staff are great and the workflow is doable.
Great opportunity to learn meticulously about group travel insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  VaughanJuly 1, 2015
Relax work environment. Manulife offered many different types of group travel insurance policies and I got the opportunity to learn and service all of them. Management was very accommodating to address any personal or work related issues. The job itself, once you knew the products, was trait forward. The most enjoyable part of working at Manulife was working with my colleagues.
Pros
Relax work environment
Cons
Company moved from vaughan to toronto