Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Excellent corporate culture and values
Software tester (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 June 2016
- Excellent corporate culture and values.
- I am a well respected employee, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management.
- The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
- They provide the facilities needed to get the job done - so nothing could be really classified as difficult.
- I fully support the day to day operations, enjoyed how management allowed autonomy in the workplace and encouraged employees to find efficiencies within their roles.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
Archaic thinking
I would encourage anyone to work for Manulife
Business Analyst - Life New Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2016
Manulife is an excellent company to work for. They have a balanced work to life program in place that includes work from home options. They are very fair and competitive within the market with concerns to both salary and benefits.
Forward thinking and customer oriented work place with bright minded employees.
Quality Analyst Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 December 2016
The flexibility of work time is a very positive pros about Manulife.
I have learned to always put our customers first in whatever decision we plan to make, as they are the core of our business.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Very nice place to work..I enjoyed working there..
Cash Management Administrator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 January 2017
I enjoyed working at MANULIFE and the people I worked with..it was a very comfortable atmosphere.
Our department was being deleted from Halifax and that is the only reason why I am not still working there..
A fun place to work with room to move forward in your career.
Imaging Services and Return Canada Post (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 December 2016
I have worked at manulife a couple times over the years in various departments and have always had a good work experience. Managers and friendly and very helpful with any additional assistance I required.
Good company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2017
Good company;
Option to work from home;
Canadian departments encourage health and wellness;
TTC accessible;
Cafeteria on site;
Great company location.
Nice place to work, little pay for contract
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 February 2017
Good work and life balance, however, very little pay if you are a contract. Not lot of creativity in work. Work can get very boring if you do not learn new things.
Hard to maintain work life balance
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2017
Fast paced, which is great!
Difficulty in getting solid direction
Due to worldwide locations we are often working odd hours in order to accommodate the time zones
Always on call
Manulife takes good care of its people. Employee contributions are recognized and rewarded accordingly.
Head of Corporate Solutions, Agency Channel (Former Employee) –  Philippines4 June 2016
Manulife is a good place to build your career. The company values its employees as much as they value their customers. With its dynamic people, professional culture and word-class customer service, employees feel proud that they are part of this well known company.
would rather not survey at this time
Plan Implementation Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2017
I would rather not survey at this time due to not wanting to be surveyed at this time. Thank you for your understanding.
I will gladly do this at another time.
Research Assistance
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 January 2017
All day looking for information in order to resolve questions and problems to the clients
Learned how to deal with clients in a professional way
Pros
Customer Service experience
Good company
Securities Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloor, Toronto, ON24 May 2016
Busy day everyday
Cash movements and stock reconciliation
Good management
Helpful and good working environment
Volume of work
Attending the company's special events
Pros
Enjoyable environment, nice working place especially the garden
Cons
Productive, Good training provided, goood teamplayers
Customer service Agent (Former Employee) –  Montreal16 September 2015
Professional place to work with Internal/External clients, Advisors, other staff of Manulife from other locations.
DEvelopped good customer experience at Reception.
enjoyed working alongside colleagues.
Not satisfied salarywise-role was changed to a more challenging and stressful one but no salaryraise.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
We cannot accelarate some proceedures which was not in my hands
Life and Health Insurance
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2016
Solid organization
typical day at work - long hours
solid managemen skills learnt
co-workers are good people to work with
hardest part of the job is the long hours
the most enjoyable are the people that I worked with
Flexible company but slow to change
Director (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 March 2016
With the work smart program there is a lot of flexibility to work from home if your role can allow for it. People are generally nice and friendly. Opportunities are there since it is such a large company. Can move within departments and divisions and get a very broad learning experience.

Being a very traditional company, there is not a lot of knowledge on how to adopt new technology and frameworks. There is a lot of indecisiveness about which direction to go and multiple levels of approvals are required to take even one small step forward. They want to change this, but who knows how long it will take.
Pros
work life balance, diverse job opportunities
Cons
difficult to move up, company slow to change
A sweatshop work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2015
Manulife does not pay overtime, yet will expect you to work 45-60 hours a week on your own time. They keep you on contract for a minimum of a year (meaning no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, etc), most people on contract for 1.5-2 years before getting permanent. They fire contract workers who refuse to work unpaid overtime. Rather than pay overtime or hire more people, they keep teams understaffed and bleed out every dollars worth of labour they can get from you then if/when you burnout, they fire you or you quit. The turnover for STD Case Managers is comparable to Wal-Mart, yet at Wal-Mart at least you get benefits.

Manulife was once a great company to work for, however now they have become just another ruthless and unappreciative financial company that doesn't respect it's workers.

Also, all new workers are hired on by different agencies. We found out people were getting paid between $30k to $45k for the exact same job depending which agency they were hired with. Manulife doesn't ensure equal salary.
Pros
Decent starting salary ~$45k/year
Cons
Unpaid overtime; burnout
Decent company with fair benefits and salary
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON19 September 2013
- Typical day at work is extremely hectic in particular during peak times (Jan to Mar). Very busy and took time to become comfortable with leaving work knowing I may not have completed everything in the day as it can be very hard to keep up
- I learned so much. I have been very lucky within the company and had many great mentors who were focused on helping me succeed. I learned leadership, improved on multitasking and found my voice
- My co-workers are great. They are helpful, supportive and very knowledgeable
- Leadership is the most difficult for me. The leadership style for me and what I am used to within the organization has changed significantly after the re-organization. It's no longer enjoyable and has proved to be an impossible work/life balance.
- All of the opportunities I have had as been the most enjoyable. I have had the opportunity to work with so many different people from so many areas, and I'm truly grateful for that.
Pros
Decent salary, people, opportunities
Cons
long hours, no work/life balance
hard working environment
Director, Global Program Office (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2015
high level of demands on employees. good benefits. not well organized however autocratic management style. some management is very bright and articulate. ideas need to be more modern and forward thinking.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
archaic thinking
Productive place to work, fun and enjoyable with the right challenges and rewards
New Business Associate- ILC New Business (Former Employee) –  25 Water Street, Kitchener4 June 2013
Came to work organized and ready to work. I prepared myself for my daily tasks and ensured all work was completed on time and in a proficient manner. There was a daily task to issue upwards of 30 life insurance policies daily and would strive to achieve, always going above and beyond the daily requirements.
Was involvement in training development amongst our team, held regular meetings with staff to work out problem issues they faced, find solutions and have them organized and synchronized with the rest of the team. Was highly challenging but rewarding.
Pros
Excellent team, personal environment and team manager always a pleasure
Cons
no real cons perhaps only with salary
Great internship with a great company
Legal Counsel, Institutional Law and Compliance (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 August 2016
I worked as an intern at DT Group and was privileged to obtain experience implementing a legal, risk and compliance Product Integrity Strategy throughout all four Nordic countries.