Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
One of the worst places to work
Senior Controls Analyst (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 2, 2014
Cons: corrupt management
Poor Management
Bad co-workers
One of the worst places to work.
Top rated financial institution
Consultant (Former Employee), Yonge and BloorMay 7, 2014
IFRS conversion and development of the new training programme
Productive and fun work place. I enjoy the people.
Processor (Current Employee), WaterlooApril 27, 2014
I have enjoyed working with the company but I feel it is time to expand my knowledge in this field or a related position.
QA Analyst
QA Analyst (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 23, 2014
April 2010 to Present
• Managing overall test execution of the claims automation system belonging to the group benefit solutions division of Manulife financial.
• Working closely with the business system analyst.
• Managing testing with team of 4 testers at offshore including the overall responsibility for test execution, tracking, completion of testing – more... within time and as per plan and preparing weekly status report to project manager.
• Conducts defect meetings to follow up on the outstanding defects with attendance from the BAs/testers, developers and project manager.
• Organized testing based on Risk Based Approach in Quality Center and created Test Scripts based on Test Scenarios in Quality Centre
• Improved the testing process by introducing and with hands on experiencing with testing automation tools.
• Involved in the development of Test Scenarios, Test cases, Test data and Test scripts according to Requirements, Wire frames and Use Case documents
• COBOL, DB2, JCL, HP Quality Centre 10, HP Quick Test Professional 11, , SQL, SQL Server, Java, WebSphere Application Server, TCP/IP, XML, IE, Firefox, Windows XP, 2000, 7 – less
Stable and large growth company
PRODUCT MANAGER (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 21, 2014
There are many departments, many with young and passionate people along with tenured and open minded individuals. The company creates opportunities for those willing to work for it, to succeed. It is also very focused on the shareholder, while also seeking solutions that meet the needs of its clients.
Typical Day
CUSTOMER SERVICE PENSION REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 15, 2014
Fast paced, high pressure, have to be organised and prepared to jump quickly from task to task
Great salary and benefits
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 14, 2014
I was there through an agency on a temporary contract in a department that was becoming obsolete and therefore I knew well in advance that it was only a temporary, contract position. The job was very repetitive, sitting all day in front of a computer, however, it was a nice work environment and I was paid well, treated well.
Great place to work for with advancement
Group Benefits Customer Service (Former Employee), waterloo, ontarioMarch 19, 2014
Just a temporary placement. it was an ok place to work for. I would work for them again if I had the chance.
Great ORIGINAL Co-workers
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2014
Pros: long hours if you don't want to go home
Cons: long hours if you want to go home
Loyalty to the company (aka old elephants) in no longer an asset, Honest opinion is not the best policy, pro-active gets you in trouble, Some Street management style is "my way or the highway" States. Outsourcing is bad, since if projects fails, the resident employee is held accountable and not the outsource company. Extreme changes in technology, either – more... technology upgrades is waited till the last minute, or biting more than can be chewed on newer ones. – less
The team I worked with was the best!
Underwriting Case Coordinator/Issue (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2014
Cons: very far to travel to work every day..
Loved my job and all the people that I worked with!! It was a very productive and fun workplace...
at times extreme pressure and tight deadlines.
Unique role with interesting learning opportunities
Analyst (Asset Liability Management, Strategy) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2014
- Helped to faciliate the ALM teams strategy goals
- Managed an Excel model for investment demand
- Management was very helpful and provided great advice
- Co-workers were friendly
- Hardest part: first time working in the insurance industry, lots of new terminology and concepts
- Most enjoyable part: was given a lot of reponsibility with one major – more... project – less
Great company
Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 5, 2014
Great culture, excellent opportunities for advancement.
great management that focuses on bettering thier employees
Disability Claims Case Manager (Former Employee), Toronto ontarioMarch 2, 2014
Pros: great management, good people and strong focus on work life balance
Cons: seniority structure for promotions.
for the two years that with worked with Manulife, I was supported in my career as well as my educational aspirations. They provided me with ample coaching to perform the job I was hired to do and was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had working
It was always productive with a chance of working new skills.
Software Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioFebruary 17, 2014
It was a very good experience working at Manulife Financial as the seniors (trainer and other co workers) were very supportive and I had the opportunity of learning new things and also expand my possessed knowledge.
Very bad experience - E & E Valuation Project
Senior Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee), 500 King Street North, WaterlooFebruary 13, 2014
I worked at 500 King, Waterloo for 2 months as a Business Analyst, it was the worst experience in my 25 years career. I have a banking and technology background. The AVP hired me knowingly that I did not have any insurance experience. But from the very outset my PM disliked me and every time I asked her questions she told me why don't you think, I found – more... her very condescending. I complained to the person who hired me but he did not do anything. So I decided to terminate my contract, at this time the AVP terminated my contract on the same day, I was working from home that day, he did not want me to come back to their building. I had to bring their laptop to my agent and pick up my personal belongings from my agent. This made me feel like a criminal. I find the way I was treated by the PM and AVP very inhuman. I don't recommend anyone to work for E & E Valuation Project at Manulife. – less
having fun at work place
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee), toronto, onFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: good company to work with
Cons: not much
its a pretty cool place..you will be relieved but doing duties on time..
Not Exactly Temp-Friendly
Temporary (Former Employee), Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: clean building, great cafeteria, location on the transit line, nice people
Cons: rigid corporate command structure, lots of paper documentation, disorganized leadership
Worked as a temp a while back during a project of theirs. Very disorganized and unplanned. Project manager did not think before making decisions, which caused more problems for the project. When asked if I wanted to do another project with them, I said I had other assignments which was a lie. Told my agency never to send me there again.

Corporate structure – more... is very old-school financial institution, still using a lot of paper documentation and having a style of management the employees must not deviate from.

It was not all bad. People in general were nice and they had a well-staffed cafeteria. – less
Toronto Head office for US Divison
Claims Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto ONJanuary 26, 2014
process work pulling from the queue, emails, inquiries

interacted well with all levels of employees

learned all I know about processing claims, including handling rival claims without formal training

liased with our Investigative Services, and seeing how some cases unfolded

hardest part of the job is not being recognized for the full workload of – more... the desk – less
Relaxing atmosphere, you are free to go for lunch, but you must be responsible for time taken
Contract Position - Implementation Specialist (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 29, 2013
Pros: you are given all the tools that you need to do your job, relaxing environment
Cons: pay is not adequate for the responsibilities given, not easity recognized for your contributions
A typical day is to underwrite a case, answer phone, interact with other departments such as Finance, Accounting, Marketing, deal with customers over the phone, allocate funds to accounts.
Building Operations(Alberta)
Building Operations (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaDecember 10, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: see above
I do stress that being in building operations in this part of Canada with little experience, you are setting yourself up for failure.
I personally have not been so disgusted by a bunch of adult employees, the way they treat newcomers/juniors.
You can not learn anything in particular without being treated like a little child or an uneducated fool.
The – more... Building Operations line of work is horrible. Many people have come and gone, no movement in this company. Stay away. – less

About Manulife Financial

Manulife is a leading Canada-based financial services company with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. – Read more

Manulife Financial Photos