Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Challenging work and great people
SALES SUPPORT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONMay 2, 2016
I very much enjoyed getting to know all of the financial advisors on my team and supporting them in all of their administrative needs.
I loved being a part of a growing team and having input on processes and procedures. And although the work could be repetitive and tedious at times the people I worked with made it worthwhile.
Pros
Office Location, Excellent Cafeteria
Cons
Working from Home Flexibility
Interactive Summer Student Position
Disability Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 9, 2016
This was a great summer student position that allowed me to learn crucial information about the medical and disability fields. I worked hand in hand with the medical team to oversee long term disability cases as well as work on different projects that enhanced my computer and administrative skills.

The management levels are well organized and try to incorporate every employees best skills.
Flexible company but slow to change
Director (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 12, 2016
With the work smart program there is a lot of flexibility to work from home if your role can allow for it. People are generally nice and friendly. Opportunities are there since it is such a large company. Can move within departments and divisions and get a very broad learning experience.

Being a very traditional company, there is not a lot of knowledge on how to adopt new technology and frameworks. There is a lot of indecisiveness about which direction to go and multiple levels of approvals are required to take even one small step forward. They want to change this, but who knows how long it will take.
Pros
work life balance, diverse job opportunities
Cons
difficult to move up, company slow to change
Manulife
Insurance Claim Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 4, 2016
Great place to work, relaxed yet professional environment, wonderful people, fair pay, very flexible scheduling, wonderful benefits.
I learned a lot about Insurance, Medical Terminology.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work from home during bad weather, and the ability to self manage, very independent position.
Pros
Flexibility, Salary, Management
Cons
Politics
A good all rounded organization to work for
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
The morning is easy going in the initial stages then it picks up quickly and the remaining day is engaging

I learned the nitty-gritty aspects of insurance

Cool Management

They provide the facilities needed to get the job done - so nothing could be really classified as difficult

Friendly Atmosphere
Pros
Nice Cafeteria
Cons
Productive workplace with a vibrant atmosphere
Actuarial Co-op Student, Canadian Division VST (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 16, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job was the fact that a lot of my fellow coworkers were fairly young (early-mid 20s) which created a very supportive culture. At times, I felt that the work I was given could be a bit more challenging though.
Demanding and Rewarding job role
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 17, 2016
Learned important information regarding procedures related to life insurance and investments. High volume call center with rewarding tasks. Developed excellent organizational and customer service skills.
Pros
Continuous training
Cons
Difficult customers
I am a dynamic and results oriented professional with a successful track record. I have consistently met and exceeded project timelines
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Typical day at work is managing project
I learned that its vital to gather requirements early in the project
Management is excellent
My co-workers are excellent
Hardest part of the job is saying no
Strong and competitive in group pensions industry
Director Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Strong focus on detail and accuracy.
Good career advancement opportunities.
Strong in leadership training.
Strong international footprint.
Strong corporate values and very active in the community.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Very competitive at higher management levels
great people
Senior Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 31, 2016
Manulife treats employees with respect and compassion. During my 1.5 year contract with Manulife I was treated like a permanent employee. The work/life balance was excellent as well as the people were great to work with and for. To me Manulife is all about the people.
An organization not really changing itself
Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2015
Long hours and often senior management is not effectively communicating with their staff and / or amongst themselves. A lot of money and effort spent to be able to say there is culture change, but its mostly to meet board level governance requirements. Too many AVPs and VPs that care more about rising thru the ranks than doing the right work and working with their teams to get better results.
I would encourage anyone to work for Manulife
Business Analyst - Life New Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Manulife is an excellent company to work for. They have a balanced work to life program in place that includes work from home options. They are very fair and competitive within the market with concerns to both salary and benefits.
Excellent Company to work for
HR Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 3, 2015
I was a proud member of the Manulife Financial HR Operations team for many years. I fully support the day to day operations, enjoyed how management allowed autonomy in the workplace and encouraged employees to find efficiencies within their roles.

I would be pleased to work with Manulife again having only left due to departmental restructuring.
Flexible and location in Toronto was great
Business Analyst/System Specialist/Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2016
Unfortunately my job moved to Waterloo and commuting was not an option for me.

I enjoyed the job I held and the people I worked with. I had a good variety of things to do and was kept busy.
Excellent culture and fun place to work
BI Architect & Sr. Data Modeler Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 12, 2016
As a consultant, I was treated with great respect and the working level team within the company was fantastic. Everyone was extremely helpful and committed to the project we were working on.
Cares about its employees
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Cares about its employees, limited growth opportunities however. Corporate culture is good with frequent and in-depth updates on company health, communication is excellent.
Very busy place to work. Always changing
Training and Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 22, 2015
Good work place with supportive management. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Management is supportive
Cons
co-works are very siloed thinking, lots of work - employees are maxed
Excellent
Senior Business and IT Project manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 20, 2016
Great company to work. Excellent training and growth prospects.

Co workers very supportive

Too many management changes
Pros
Co workers very supportive
Cons
Too many management changes
Excellent corporate culture and values
Director, Business Continuity Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
Excellent corporate culture and values: I am a well respected leader, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management. The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
Great company, long history and rewards hard work.
IPC Analyst IV, Institutional IS (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 15, 2015
Without depending on where you work within Manulife you will find a good cross section of people. The best part of working there is the team work and work ethic displayed from my co-workers. This led to an amazing relationship build. I was lucky enough to have some really great bosses and a few terrible ones.