Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Micromanaged and Difficult to advance career
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 June 2016
I had worked with Manulife for a number of years and although I was constantly pursuing career advancements and taking courses to do so, it was near impossible. The company itself hires non-employees before they take internal applications because of salary expectations. In addition, salary levels were difficult to advance even with a new role due to ranges and lateral moves. Otherwise, I met some great people, they had a wonderful work-life balance and cafeteria was good.
Pros
Good cafeteria, nice people, good benefits
Cons
Non competative salaries, unsupported by HR, minimal promotional opportunities
Mediocre management and company culture
Wholesaler (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 October 2016
Management tends to hide mistakes by lying. A company culture based on the blaming of others...Great quote from a VP at this company when he had to downsize 40% of his department. "this will make my job easier..."
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management
Great Place to work
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Great Place to work overall....
Good benefits, employee retention, and Work life balance makes it an awesome company to work with.
Manulife
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 October 2016
Great place to work; excellent benefits to work from home. Women progressing in the workplace; interesting new products being launched in the market.
good company with nice benefits
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 July 2016
good company with nice benefits, hard to go up and poor internal culture. If you wanna learn more from the job this is not a good choice.
Manulife
Insurance Claim Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 March 2016
Great place to work, relaxed yet professional environment, wonderful people, fair pay, very flexible scheduling, wonderful benefits.
I learned a lot about Insurance, Medical Terminology.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work from home during bad weather, and the ability to self manage, very independent position.
Pros
Flexibility, Salary, Management
Cons
Politics
Strong and competitive in group pensions industry
Director Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2016
Strong focus on detail and accuracy.
Good career advancement opportunities.
Strong in leadership training.
Strong international footprint.
Strong corporate values and very active in the community.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Very competitive at higher management levels
My overall working experience at Manulife was very good.
Analyst, Administration, Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 August 2016
- Analyzed and made recommendations on the quality of operational transactions. Managed controls on Anti-Money Laundering (AML). Monitor Retail Markets;
- Administrative Systems, Coaching, Microsoft Office Suite, Data Entry, Documentation, Workflow Planning, Time Management, Controls;
- Worked with a wonderful group of colleagues, including my Manager
- Quarter-end required the most out of me but always submitted control and quality results to Management on time;
- I enjoyed my work; and, the Team I worked with and the work ethic surroundings, enhanced my enjoyment.
Excellent corporate culture and values
Software tester (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 June 2016
- Excellent corporate culture and values.
- I am a well respected employee, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management.
- The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
- They provide the facilities needed to get the job done - so nothing could be really classified as difficult.
- I fully support the day to day operations, enjoyed how management allowed autonomy in the workplace and encouraged employees to find efficiencies within their roles.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
Archaic thinking
I would encourage anyone to work for Manulife
Business Analyst - Life New Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2016
Manulife is an excellent company to work for. They have a balanced work to life program in place that includes work from home options. They are very fair and competitive within the market with concerns to both salary and benefits.
Great environment to work in and career growth opportunities
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 August 2016
As a Retention Team Lead some of my duties included coaching and monitoring staff to preform there best at daily duties, training new employees and reporting. Over my time in this position I learned a great deal such as budgeting, forecasting, reporting and how to motivate a team to exceed targets. My team and co workers were always a pleasure to work with and also motivated me to do my best as they believed in me and my ability to lead my team to successes. Although not everyday was easy at the other some days were challenging with deadlines and service levels to hit. What made those days a bit easier to pass was the great team of employees I had working for me, as they showed me over the last year that my hard work paid off as we exceeded targets.
New Culture is losing Core Manulife Values
Investment Finance and Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Manulife culture used to reflect my own personal values: professionalism, pride, customer focus, employee appreciation, a togetherness bond. It is no longer the same with new leadership because everyone is coming from different direction and NEW so it is lost in translation.
Pros
Stable LifeCo. Foundations are there. Engine intact.
Cons
Very political. Cut throat mentality. Leaders can't be trusted. Two faced.
Many departments to move around to gain lots of experience
Administrative Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
Great place to work with lots of opportunity for hard working people. Management truly values individual contributions and the rewards are based upon individual contributions and successes. The more you achieve, the better the rewards.
Pros
Great loaction
Cons
There are no cons
Manulife takes good care of its people. Employee contributions are recognized and rewarded accordingly.
Head of Corporate Solutions, Agency Channel (Former Employee) –  Philippines4 June 2016
Manulife is a good place to build your career. The company values its employees as much as they value their customers. With its dynamic people, professional culture and word-class customer service, employees feel proud that they are part of this well known company.
Productive and stable work environment
Inside Wholesaler (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2016
Great work environment with a lot of learning opportunities in the investment world. Unfortunately limited possibility of growth and carrier advancement.
Flexible company but slow to change
Director (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 March 2016
With the work smart program there is a lot of flexibility to work from home if your role can allow for it. People are generally nice and friendly. Opportunities are there since it is such a large company. Can move within departments and divisions and get a very broad learning experience.

Being a very traditional company, there is not a lot of knowledge on how to adopt new technology and frameworks. There is a lot of indecisiveness about which direction to go and multiple levels of approvals are required to take even one small step forward. They want to change this, but who knows how long it will take.
Pros
work life balance, diverse job opportunities
Cons
difficult to move up, company slow to change
Good company
Securities Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloor, Toronto, ON24 May 2016
Busy day everyday
Cash movements and stock reconciliation
Good management
Helpful and good working environment
Volume of work
Attending the company's special events
Pros
Enjoyable environment, nice working place especially the garden
Life and Health Insurance
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2016
Solid organization
typical day at work - long hours
solid managemen skills learnt
co-workers are good people to work with
hardest part of the job is the long hours
the most enjoyable are the people that I worked with
Productive, Good training provided, goood teamplayers
Customer service Agent (Former Employee) –  Montreal16 September 2015
Professional place to work with Internal/External clients, Advisors, other staff of Manulife from other locations.
DEvelopped good customer experience at Reception.
enjoyed working alongside colleagues.
Not satisfied salarywise-role was changed to a more challenging and stressful one but no salaryraise.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
We cannot accelarate some proceedures which was not in my hands
hard working environment
Director, Global Program Office (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2015
high level of demands on employees. good benefits. not well organized however autocratic management style. some management is very bright and articulate. ideas need to be more modern and forward thinking.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
archaic thinking