Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Strong and competitive in group pensions industry
Director Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Strong focus on detail and accuracy.
Good career advancement opportunities.
Strong in leadership training.
Strong international footprint.
Strong corporate values and very active in the community.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Very competitive at higher management levels
Manulife
Insurance Claim Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 4, 2016
Great place to work, relaxed yet professional environment, wonderful people, fair pay, very flexible scheduling, wonderful benefits.
I learned a lot about Insurance, Medical Terminology.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work from home during bad weather, and the ability to self manage, very independent position.
Pros
Flexibility, Salary, Management
Cons
Politics
An organization not really changing itself
Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2015
Long hours and often senior management is not effectively communicating with their staff and / or amongst themselves. A lot of money and effort spent to be able to say there is culture change, but its mostly to meet board level governance requirements. Too many AVPs and VPs that care more about rising thru the ranks than doing the right work and working with their teams to get better results.
I would encourage anyone to work for Manulife
Business Analyst - Life New Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Manulife is an excellent company to work for. They have a balanced work to life program in place that includes work from home options. They are very fair and competitive within the market with concerns to both salary and benefits.
Flexible company but slow to change
Director (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 12, 2016
With the work smart program there is a lot of flexibility to work from home if your role can allow for it. People are generally nice and friendly. Opportunities are there since it is such a large company. Can move within departments and divisions and get a very broad learning experience.

Being a very traditional company, there is not a lot of knowledge on how to adopt new technology and frameworks. There is a lot of indecisiveness about which direction to go and multiple levels of approvals are required to take even one small step forward. They want to change this, but who knows how long it will take.
Pros
work life balance, diverse job opportunities
Cons
difficult to move up, company slow to change
Very busy place to work. Always changing
Training and Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 22, 2015
Good work place with supportive management. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Management is supportive
Cons
co-works are very siloed thinking, lots of work - employees are maxed
Excellent corporate culture and values
Director, Business Continuity Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
Excellent corporate culture and values: I am a well respected leader, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management. The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
Productive, Good training provided, goood teamplayers
Customer service Agent (Former Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 16, 2015
Professional place to work with Internal/External clients, Advisors, other staff of Manulife from other locations.
DEvelopped good customer experience at Reception.
enjoyed working alongside colleagues.
Not satisfied salarywise-role was changed to a more challenging and stressful one but no salaryraise.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
We cannot accelarate some proceedures which was not in my hands
Best time of my life
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
I had the best time of my life here. The staff and management were simply AWESOME. There was so much state of the art, work to be done, that we could not get enough of it.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Long Hours
hard working environment
Director, Global Program Office (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 11, 2015
high level of demands on employees. good benefits. not well organized however autocratic management style. some management is very bright and articulate. ideas need to be more modern and forward thinking.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
archaic thinking
A good all rounded organization to work for
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
The morning is easy going in the initial stages then it picks up quickly and the remaining day is engaging

I learned the nitty-gritty aspects of insurance

Cool Management

They provide the facilities needed to get the job done - so nothing could be really classified as difficult

Friendly Atmosphere
Pros
Nice Cafeteria
Cares about its employees
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Cares about its employees, limited growth opportunities however. Corporate culture is good with frequent and in-depth updates on company health, communication is excellent.
A good place for work-life balance
Quantitative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
A good place to work. Co-workers are nice, not very busy and good job security. The company cares much about employees' work-life balance.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
not a place to study a lot
I am a dynamic and results oriented professional with a successful track record. I have consistently met and exceeded project timelines
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Typical day at work is managing project
I learned that its vital to gather requirements early in the project
Management is excellent
My co-workers are excellent
Hardest part of the job is saying no
great people
Senior Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 31, 2016
Manulife treats employees with respect and compassion. During my 1.5 year contract with Manulife I was treated like a permanent employee. The work/life balance was excellent as well as the people were great to work with and for. To me Manulife is all about the people.
Great compnay to work for
Sr. Project Manager (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioJanuary 28, 2016
a very welcoming environment.
good company to work for
enjoyed working there
looking forward to return
good management
Excellent Company to work for
HR Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 3, 2015
I was a proud member of the Manulife Financial HR Operations team for many years. I fully support the day to day operations, enjoyed how management allowed autonomy in the workplace and encouraged employees to find efficiencies within their roles.

I would be pleased to work with Manulife again having only left due to departmental restructuring.
Great working atmosphere with lots of flexibility
Case Manager for Absence Management (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 15, 2015
Working from home is a great advantage that manlike offers. Your work performance directly predicts your income and potential for advancement.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Difficult to advance
Huge Company with plenty of opportunities to grow
Administrative Assistant, Group Pensions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 11, 2015
Great company to work at, but sometimes it is just too huge to work at. Good company to work when you are starting out on your career. And plenty of opportunities.
Great company to work at
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2016
This is my first full time job after graduating from university, management is great. Environment is friendly and company does many things to make their employee feel appreciated.