Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Positive work atmosphere with optimal respect for employees.
Project Director (Former Employee), 200 Bloor St. E., TorontoMarch 25, 2015
Pros: On site gym and focus on wellness; work and lifeystyle
Cons: GPO should have kept PMP terms consistent with industry standards.
Working at Manulife really demonstrated a company who is forward thinking when managing employees as well as business. I learned the the importance of really intensifying my ability and efficiency in working in a global company. Maintaining good communication with colleagues and project stakeholders who work across Asia and North America allowed me the opportunity to embrace technology, time management when dealing with multi dimensional intricacies. Management was very strong and supportive of all staff. Any difficulties were supported and coached. The hardest part of my job was fully learning the strategic breakdown of the organization entirely as it was newly formed but the most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a strong project management team. The group was formed on the premise that project/program management was viewed as a profession essential to the ongoing strategic development of the organization.
QA Analyst
QA Analyst (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 23, 2014
April 2010 to Present
• Managing overall test execution of the claims automation system belonging to the group benefit solutions division of Manulife financial.
• Working closely with the business system analyst.
• Managing testing with team of 4 testers at offshore including the overall responsibility for test execution, tracking, completion of testing within time and as per plan and preparing weekly status report to project manager.
• Conducts defect meetings to follow up on the outstanding defects with attendance from the BAs/testers, developers and project manager.
• Organized testing based on Risk Based Approach in Quality Center and created Test Scripts based on Test Scenarios in Quality Centre
• Improved the testing process by introducing and with hands on experiencing with testing automation tools.
• Involved in the development of Test Scenarios, Test cases, Test data and Test scripts according to Requirements, Wire frames and Use Case documents
• COBOL, DB2, JCL, HP Quality Centre 10, HP Quick Test Professional 11, , SQL, SQL Server, Java, WebSphere Application Server, TCP/IP, XML, IE, Firefox, Windows XP, 2000, 7
A sweatshop work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Decent starting salary ~$45k/year
Cons: Unpaid overtime; burnout
Manulife does not pay overtime, yet will expect you to work 45-60 hours a week on your own time. They keep you on contract for a minimum of a year (meaning no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, etc), most people on contract for 1.5-2 years before getting permanent. They fire contract workers who refuse to work unpaid overtime. Rather than pay overtime or hire more people, they keep teams understaffed and bleed out every dollars worth of labour they can get from you then if/when you burnout, they fire you or you quit. The turnover for STD Case Managers is comparable to Wal-Mart, yet at Wal-Mart at least you get benefits.

Manulife was once a great company to work for, however now they have become just another ruthless and unappreciative financial company that doesn't respect it's workers.

Also, all new workers are hired on by different agencies. We found out people were getting paid between $30k to $45k for the exact same job depending which agency they were hired with. Manulife doesn't ensure equal salary.
Decent company with fair benefits and salary
Supervisor (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: decent salary, people, opportunities
Cons: long hours, no work/life balance
- Typical day at work is extremely hectic in particular during peak times (Jan to Mar). Very busy and took time to become comfortable with leaving work knowing I may not have completed everything in the day as it can be very hard to keep up
- I learned so much. I have been very lucky within the company and had many great mentors who were focused on helping me succeed. I learned leadership, improved on multitasking and found my voice
- My co-workers are great. They are helpful, supportive and very knowledgeable
- Leadership is the most difficult for me. The leadership style for me and what I am used to within the organization has changed significantly after the re-organization. It's no longer enjoyable and has proved to be an impossible work/life balance.
- All of the opportunities I have had as been the most enjoyable. I have had the opportunity to work with so many different people from so many areas, and I'm truly grateful for that.
Horrible place to work if your looking for a warm atmosphere with chance of advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), WaterlooApril 24, 2013
Pros: pay rate, break schedules, free lunches, amazing training
Cons: no support, not a warm atmosphere from management or staff, not enough time to complete callbacks for members.
I didn't have the same kind of experience some of the reviews listed have. I found there was very little support from management in regards to questions or concerns. In fact they spent more time talking down to myself and several colleagues then helping us succeed for them. Now we were all contracted, and reminded of which quite often, also reminded how they don't hire contracted people... Perhaps this is why we were treated differently. I found most of the staff very helpful, but we were not allowed to seek their support and would infact get in trouble for asking for it. Definitely could just use more support, and be more warm and empathetic to their staff... Would be sufficient changes to make it a much better contracted placement...
Learn many thing from my team member which help me to build my career
Net Developer/Analyst (Former Employee), kitchenerDecember 23, 2014
Pros: friendly environment, everyday treat from my team member
Cons: nothing
=> Most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for the project team meeting. On a typical day I had a late change from the client to deal with.The team weren't too happy to have to squeeze in another change, but when I explained how helpful it would be to the customer they got down to updating the specification and use cases.

=> I learned time management, punctuality and dedication for work.

=> Management was so friendly. They always ready to guide new employee for enrolling process

=> My co-workers are co operative and very helpful.
=> I have to implement some extra features in real time application which is totally new for me. Before implementation I have to understand whole application that was a hardest part of the job.

=> Every week I have to arranged meeting with my team member for discuss view on progress of project.
Very bad experience - E & E Valuation Project
Senior Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee), 500 King Street North, WaterlooFebruary 13, 2014
I worked at 500 King, Waterloo for 2 months as a Business Analyst, it was the worst experience in my 25 years career. I have a banking and technology background. The AVP hired me knowingly that I did not have any insurance experience. But from the very outset my PM disliked me and every time I asked her questions she told me why don't you think, I found her very condescending. I complained to the person who hired me but he did not do anything. So I decided to terminate my contract, at this time the AVP terminated my contract on the same day, I was working from home that day, he did not want me to come back to their building. I had to bring their laptop to my agent and pick up my personal belongings from my agent. This made me feel like a criminal. I find the way I was treated by the PM and AVP very inhuman. I don't recommend anyone to work for E & E Valuation Project at Manulife.
Lots of documentation to update, very long and old processes, Nice people.
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Kitchener-Waterloo, ONOctober 4, 2013
Pros: working from home
Cons: continue organization design
Organization design the last year has been hard on every team of the company since moving and shifting creates anxiety in a production level making that the enviroment a little tense, but the people here at your same level is fine, I guess every one is living and paddle in the same boat.

The hardest part for the job is actually all those moves making documentaiton incomplete, outdated processes and not reliable.

As BA, that is a hard task but also in the same time is a great opportunity to test your strategy and build your experience, and help your users to have a better application and a easy way to do their job.

The most enjoyable is the fact that you can work from home make that flexible to compensate work and personal life.
Good place to learn, caring and knowledgable executives, fast-paced and very challeging envrionment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Typical day at work:
- listening to morning briefings
- work on financial models
- attend meetings with senior executives
- collaborate with co-workers to work on business proposals

What you learned
- how to price REITs
- what do investors and Manulife look for when setting up a fund
- the industry trends
- how to work with different people in different departments and positions

- very knowledgeable, hardworking, and understanding

Co-workers
- friendly, helpful, smart and hardworking

hardest part of the job
- understanding each new project with limited information

most enjoyable
- dynamic work environment and everyone has very high level of energy to produce the best work
To Obtain a Customer Service position in which I can use my strengths and experience to reach the company’s goals and continuing success
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, BCDecember 22, 2014
Pros: flexible hours to work
Cons: location is not too good
Manulife Financial also known as The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, are a major Canadian insurance company and financial services provider. Although its global head office is located in Toronto, Ontario, with its Canadian operations based out of Waterloo, Ontario, Manulife has worldwide operations, most notably in the United States (through its subsidiary, John Hancock Insurance) and in 19 unique Asian countries and territories.

· Collected and Processed Client’s Premium Payment
· Organized and Achieved Clients’ financial records
· Correspond to clients through written letters
Productive place to work, fun and enjoyable with the right challenges and rewards
New Business Associate- ILC New Business (Former Employee), 25 Water Street, KitchenerJune 4, 2013
Pros: excellent team, personal environment and team manager always a pleasure
Cons: no real cons perhaps only with salary
Came to work organized and ready to work. I prepared myself for my daily tasks and ensured all work was completed on time and in a proficient manner. There was a daily task to issue upwards of 30 life insurance policies daily and would strive to achieve, always going above and beyond the daily requirements.
Was involvement in training development amongst our team, held regular meetings with staff to work out problem issues they faced, find solutions and have them organized and synchronized with the rest of the team. Was highly challenging but rewarding.
Not Exactly Temp-Friendly
Temporary (Former Employee), Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: clean building, great cafeteria, location on the transit line, nice people
Cons: rigid corporate command structure, lots of paper documentation, disorganized leadership
Worked as a temp a while back during a project of theirs. Very disorganized and unplanned. Project manager did not think before making decisions, which caused more problems for the project. When asked if I wanted to do another project with them, I said I had other assignments which was a lie. Told my agency never to send me there again.

Corporate structure is very old-school financial institution, still using a lot of paper documentation and having a style of management the employees must not deviate from.

It was not all bad. People in general were nice and they had a well-staffed cafeteria.
Great training, pleasant staff, interesting job
Assistant to Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Whitby, ONMarch 20, 2013
Pros: great training, wonderful people to learn from, interesting work
Cons: limited room for advancement or increased work hours due to part-time position
I work part-time (as required), but the work is interesting. A typical day is spent returning phone calls, answering emails, working on regulated and required paperwork for the advisor, maintaining his data base of client information and accounts. The hardest part of this job is learning all the computer applications used in the industry - they are challenging and interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ongoing discussions of the financial market.
Productive Workplace and Fun Activities
Mailroom Sorter (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: social committee which planned events, free pizza, bbq lunches, games to coincide with the activity
Cons: the office location, for me personally
Open and preparre the mail to be sent to the various locations for the adjudicators to process. A very fast paced environment, however the days flew by.
Great co-workers. The hardest part of the job was that we were so busy there was not a lot of time to interact with co-workers during the day but when we had time, it was great. Great team work.

The best part of the job was having plenty of work to keep busy and the hours. Everyone helped each other.
Weekly brunch ordered by our project manager
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2013
Pros: location - downtown, 10 am start
Cons: salary
I would be assigned multiple projects by my project manager through a ticketing system once the request for change was initiated by a person. Once the project was assigned to me, I would go to SMEs and gather requirements and ask them questions about the details of new business process. Mostly, I would go to interview clients with senior business Analyst. I learned alot from her as she taught me tips and trick on how to become a subject matter expert yourself once you discuss requirements with clients.
Wonderful learing experience into the world of Group Health and Dental Benefits
Group Benefits Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: decent pay and benefits, friendly staff, approachable management
Cons: several hours of overtime required to stay on top of callbacks, call centre environment, which can be very negative.
This job does take place in a Call Centre department which can be very regimented and non-stop. The time given to work on outstanding claims/callbacks is minimal and overtime is necessary.

Excellent opportunity into the world of Insurance.

Wonderful learning experience.
Friendly and professional
Financial Clerk (Current Employee), Halifax, NSApril 21, 2015
Manulife Financial SISIP services is a great place to work. Co-workers and the management are very friendly and professional. You do not feel the hierarchy in the workplace. Everybody is very positive. Management makes sure that every new employee receives quality training and lots of support when needed. They provide all the necessary tools for the best performance, then it is up to you to show your talent. Only downside of Manulife SISIP services is that, they mainly hire under contract. Permanent positions are limited.
Great ORIGINAL Co-workers
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2014
Pros: long hours if you don't want to go home
Cons: long hours if you want to go home
Loyalty to the company (aka old elephants) in no longer an asset, Honest opinion is not the best policy, pro-active gets you in trouble, Some Street management style is "my way or the highway" States. Outsourcing is bad, since if projects fails, the resident employee is held accountable and not the outsource company. Extreme changes in technology, either technology upgrades is waited till the last minute, or biting more than can be chewed on newer ones.
Great opportunity to learn meticulously about group travel insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), VaughanJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Relax work environment
Cons: Company moved from vaughan to toronto
Relax work environment. Manulife offered many different types of group travel insurance policies and I got the opportunity to learn and service all of them. Management was very accommodating to address any personal or work related issues. The job itself, once you knew the products, was trait forward. The most enjoyable part of working at Manulife was working with my colleagues.
Great benefit and offer advance job opportunities.
Customer Service (Former Employee), North York, ONApril 8, 2013
Very busy and full of challenge. Great diversity of people and very fun to work with. Provided continuous staff training. Had annual picnic and Christmas dance.

Learnt to deal with the public via phone and personnel contact. Learnt to multitask with answering calls, writing letter and providing the right information to the clients.

Learning a variety of products was challenging and being able to resolve problems for the customer was most satisfying.
Headquarters